Two intriguing situations (with lineups added)

Washington:

A. Jones -- 8
Francoeur -- 9
McCann -- 2
Diaz -- 7
Saltalamacchia -- 3
Carlyle -- 1

Also, I would be way, way remiss if I didn't pay homage to Mrs. Nationals Journal. It is our third anniversary today, and only I and the staff know how important she is to this whole operation.

Back to our regularly scheduled post ...

So a few things on my mind this morning, and no, they don't have to do with how much I dislike 7:35 p.m. starts - which we have tonight and tomorrow. Hope everyone enjoys "Friends" or "Everybody Loves Raymond" or whatever on TBS.

First, let's check out John Patterson's "Magical Mystery Tour." Five days, four cities, four doctors, four opinions, one elbow. Someone draw up a catchy slogan for that, would you? I'll get the Journal staff on it, too, but we're counting on you folks as well.

To be sure, this is a serious matter, and Patterson takes it seriously. As I've written before, this is a man who is very, very in-tune with his body. He can't quite figure out what's going on with his elbow, which has some sort of strange nerve problem for the second straight year. So here's his itinerary:

Monday: John Conway, the Rangers' doctor, in Texas

Today or tomorrow: Lewis Yocum, famed performer of ligament replacement surgery and Angels' doctor, in Los Angeles

Thursday: A Dr. [I missed his first name] Brody in San Jose

Friday: Rob Thompson at Washington University in St. Louis

I'm going to try to chat with Patterson at, perhaps, halftime of all these visits, maybe today or tomorrow. But I'm not sure what he'll be able to tell me.

What really makes me curious is how such a tour comes about. I asked Stan Kasten about that yesterday. While he said that Patterson and Jim Bowden really would know more, he did add the following:

"John himself was very actively involved in, 'Let's just find out all that we can.' I don't know that I recall four cross-country things in four days. That's a new one to me. But certainly, if it a) gives us information, or b) gives him peace of mind, it's worth it on either score."

To be sure, the Nationals' players are well aware of Patterson's absence. They are aware that, last year when a nerve problem first came up, Bowden said that, had the Nationals been in a pennant race, Patterson would be able to pitch every fifth day.

But whatever the players think, Patterson isn't out there, and this much is clear: This is a crucial, crucial juncture in his career. He must be healthy in his mind to pitch. He is 29. In theory, these should be his best years. Yet he has made just 16 starts in two seasons - and there's no telling when the next one will come. The memories of those brilliant outings in 2005 - when he dominated the Dodgers, etc. - are just getting dimmer and dimmer.

Intriguing topic No. 2: Fick returns, who goes?

So this has been talked about a lot in the press box lately. One thing I found out today that I didn't realize - and still don't fully understand - is that Brandon Watson has an option remaining, so he could be sent back to Class AAA Columbus.

Last July 14, the Reds claimed Watson off waivers from the Nationals. He was being cleared off the 40-man roster at that time. Now, he would have to stay on the 40-man if he was optioned down, and the Nationals did clear some space last week by passing Larry Broadway and Mike Hinckley through waivers, getting them off the 40-man. (The 40-man roster on nationals.com isn't even close to up-to-date, but the club does have spaces and could create another by putting Guzman on the 60-day disabled list.)

That said, this isn't an easy decision. There are plenty of people who have had enough of Nook Logan and believe he should be passed through waivers to go to the minors and work on hitting exclusively from the right side. But some club officials believe there's at least one team that would claim him. Others, of course, don't think that would be the worst thing in the world.

And we got a glimpse last night of how Belliard's arrival in the lineup - not a bad thing on the face of it - damages the whole bench. Now, Tony Batista is the primary right-handed hitting pinch hitter. Batista's swing involves a lot of timing, and it's a wonder he can give any sort of quality at-bat with only a few plate appearances a week. But because they don't have a better right-handed pinch option, Batista almost certainly won't be jettisoned.

The Nationals haven't told the player who is out yet, and in fact are still working through things. I'll try to get you an update when I can.

UPDATE AT 10:53 A.M.: It looks like the Nationals will activate Fick AFTER tonight's game. So they're still trying to decide how to handle the roster move, and a final decision won't be made until much later today.

From last night, an encouraging performance from Jason Bergmann, whose confidence still appears high after missing six weeks. I'd expect him to go five or six innings in Pittsburgh this weekend.

And if you want blow-by-blow on the injury front, here's more on Guzman that ran in the $.35 edition, and I caught up with a very relieved Shawn Hill by phone from Birmingham last night, which is in the notes. Not to be overlooked: Josh Smoker, the 31st pick in the draft, was on hand with scouting director Dana Brown last night, sitting in the front row with his parents at Turner Field, right in front of Kasten. Sides are still talking. Smoker really wants to sign. Seems like he probably will.

And, for you audio folks, here's the podcast. (People listening to these? I hope so.)

Couple other low-level draft picks signed yesterday, too, and now 31 of 53 picks have inked. (Favorite headlines: So-and-so Inks Pact)

I'll get you lineups and all that stuff later. Mike Bacsik vs. Buddy Carlyle tonight. The world awaits.

By Barry Svrluga  |  June 26, 2007; 10:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guzman likely out for year
Next: Fick in the house

Comments

patterson: magical blistery tour? Appetite for Reconstruction Tour?

Posted by: derek | June 26, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

'John: 54441' Perhaps we'll see this sign in the stands soon.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 26, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

How about: "The John Patterson, I'll See Ya' At Spring Training" tour

or: "The One Elbow, Three Time Zones" tour

Posted by: Vandy | June 26, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

The John Patterson 30 Flight, 200 (Thousand) Mile Tour. Groupies welcome.

(Didn't he tell us he would make 30 starts and log 200 innings?)

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | June 26, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Alas, I feel this might be the "Magic is History Tour"

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Gee, do you think the Lerners will reimburse Patterson for The Doctors' Tour?

Posted by: Ashburn | June 26, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks very much Barry.
re: Patterson:
"The memories of those brilliant outings in 2005 - when he dominated the Dodgers, etc. - are just getting dimmer and dimmer."
Sorry, they went out for me a long time ago. How come so many people honed in on Guzzie's two messed up years, and held on to that version of him with a death grip for so long? (NOW we're seeing some love, but a little too little too late if you ask me). Yet they've done the opposite with Patterson--can't seem to let go of the good Patterson that was almost as long ago. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that he'll be back someday, but until then, FORGET PATTERSON. Stop holding your breath like he's going to come back any minute now and save the season. For one thing it might help HIM to take the pressure off. Just let him be. Let him get better in obscurity and when he starts to get a little notice because of what he's DOING, rather than what he's CAPABLE OF DOING, then give me an update. It's not that I don't love the guy, but the story is getting tired. For now I'd rather hear about the pitchers who have actually delivered this year.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I humbly submit ... John Patterson's "Working Your Last Nerve" Tour!

Posted by: Captain Snarky | June 26, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Buck sez that one of the doctors heals his magical trick elbow, but the deep vein thrombosis from all the cross-country flights sets him down for the year.

Posted by: Chris | June 26, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

There is a whiff of Wood-and-Priory about the whole JP backstory. That's more a reflection on our obsessive media culture than about the oscillating state of Patty's arm nerves.

I would rather hear anything at all about JP than anything at all about, say, Paris Hilton. But, I agree, not to excess -- not that Barry gives us any worries in that regard.

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I wonder when Barry is going to get to the bottom of the Colome injury.

Posted by: Chris | June 26, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Ya know, when Patterson is about forty-five and sitting behind a desk somewhere, he is gonna think back and think: "I really blew it."

Say what you will about Fick, he gives it his all.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

elbowpalooza or the warped ulnar nerve tour

Posted by: love | June 26, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

To Andrew Stebbins:

I think he was referring to his whole career.

"(Didn't he tell us he would make 30 starts and log 200 innings?)"

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Starter Trek - The Journey Roam

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Ah, "the bottom" of the Colome injury. Hysterical.

Here's what ran in the paper this morning:

Personnel Dept.

Manager Manny Acta said RHP Jesus Colome, placed on the 15-day disabled list Sunday night, has a recurrence of an abscess on his right buttock that he suffered in spring training. The condition will require surgery.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | June 26, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what anyone says ... the Colome injury is comedy gold (unless you're him, of course).

Though I don't plan to abscess about it.

Posted by: Captain Snarky | June 26, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I told my roommate yesterday he was a "pain in my right, lower extremity." It is great, perhaps because all the other injuries we hear about are so disastrous. It's funnier in a gallows humor way.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

You can say that, but you're not the one with pus on your butt.

Posted by: not really Jesus Colome | June 26, 2007 12:44 PM | Report abuse

And Patterson is elbowing his way off the roster.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Pus is such an ugly word. Shall we call it "fluid matter formed by suppuration and composed of exudate containing white blood cells, tissue debris, and microorganisms"?

"You can say that, but you're not the one with pus on your butt."

Posted by: not really Jesus Colome

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Is Guzman out for the season? Did I hear "ligament surgery" in connection with his thumb injury? What's the prognosis?

Posted by: Sbrent | June 26, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I hope they send Watson back down and give Langerhans a real shot to be the centerfielder, in the least versus right handers. Since he's been on the Nats his OBP is .357 which is in line with what he put up the last 2 seasons in Atlanta. It's not great, but when you factor in position, it's pretty solid.

Posted by: MF | June 26, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Colome's loss is certainly going to impact the back end of the bullpen. I agree with MF about sending Watson back to Triple A when Fick is activated. Despite Logan's baserunning gaffes, I think he's our best defensive centerfielder. Plus he hits righthanded and can be used in a platoon with Langerhans.

Posted by: hondo lives | June 26, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Fick gives it his all but just is not that good. Watson has earned the chance to remain in CF and show us what he's got.

Posted by: BT | June 26, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

As much as I like Langerhans' play, I'm inclined to vote for giving Watson a chance. He might do well without Robinson around. As for Logan, he can't hit and can't field. His baserunning faux pas last Saturday could have (and has) happened to anyone so that doesn't bother me. If I want to see deer in the headlights, I'll drive down route 15 after dark.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Langerhaus and Logan are both are limited. They have been around a while and not shown the ability to be consistent, let alone be starters.
Too bad about Patterson. He has only had one good season in the bigs and been injured for a good part of his career. He may re-emerge but is not a 1-2 starter, maybe back end.

Posted by: dd | June 26, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dd | June 26, 2007 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else concerned the Nats haven't signed their top 3 picks from this year's draft?

Posted by: draft signings | June 26, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Langerhans over Watson? Are you mad? Perhaps in the pay of Langerhans agent? The organization didn't think Langerhans was good enough for an everyday center fielder when Nook Logan was still getting his chance.

Logan simply doesn't have his head in the game and being pinned at third ("like a grotesque bug" was a great analogy) was the straw that broke the camel's back. Send Logan down or let him be claimed, give Watson a shot at every day while he's hot and see if it sticks. Keep Langerhans around (who isn't bad off the bench) and for the love of Screech, keep Fick. We need a veteran, an off the bench swatter and a utility guy and he can do all three. He's not a starter, clearly, but he is a lot more reliable than Tony Batista and doesn't look half as dumb at the plate.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Some wag speculated yesterday that our wounded reliever had contracted a social disease. It is gratifying to note the clarification.

(His actual complaint, by the way, is something that *can* be picked up from a toilet seat.)

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Can we put a lid on the toilet puns? It's water over the dam.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Patterson has had such a non-career he doesn't deserve a "tour" named for him. Was he ever a 15 game winner? No. Therefore I'd call it the PaperLace reunion tour. No body cares about that either. Billy Don't Be a Hero!

Posted by: 6th and D | June 26, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Watson was electric at the game I saw Saturday. I want to see him stay. He could give off some of that energy to the other guys. On the other hand, I don't know how he reacts when things don't go right (the pop up bunt, strikeout/no hitting last night, etc.) but if the rest of the clubhouse's resilient attitude in the face of "adversity" (ugly losses, slumps, etc) rubs off on him, he could be a real long-term asset. I just don't have that feeling with any of the others-- Langerhans, Logan, Batista, or Jimenez. Fick's fine. He doesn't sparkle, but he's steady eddy. Plenty others can go down before him.
BTW, you guys are freakin funny. Butt-gate? Magic is History tour?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Patterson is,I believe, done. Nook should be. Keep Watson.

Posted by: Sec 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | June 26, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"Can we put a lid on the toilet puns? It's water over the dam.

"Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 02:14 PM"

Way to mop up the last dying gasps of that line of yuks.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Barry, I am absolutely appalled and infuriated that you would invite and encourage the so - called fans to ridicule John Patterson by drawing up a catchy slogan for what you call his "Magical Mystery Tour." Five days, four cities, four doctors, four opinions, one elbow." What a juvenile, immature, and spiteful thing to do! To you this may be one big joke, but I can assure you that it is not funny to John Patterson or to his many fans ( yes Barry, despite your efforts, there are still many of us who like Patterson.) This man - who is a human being, by the way, and has feelings just as you do (though I am beginning to wonder if you do actually have any feelings) may be fighting for his (baseball) life and you invite these people who call themselves fans to make a circus out of it. Not only is this an extremely uncaring thing to do, but you are misusing your position as Washington Post beat writer for the Washington Nationals to belittle a player who is a member of the team you cover. I think you should be very ashamed of yourself, but it seems that you have no shame. You also are implying here that there is nothing wrong with his arm and that he could pitch if he wanted to. It was reported in your paper that the MRI showed nerve irritation in his arm - do you think that is nothing? Have you ever tried to play, on a major league team or anywhere else, with a throbbing arm? How can you possibly sit there in front of your word processor and presume to know how his arm feels and whether or not he can pitch effectively with the pain? It boggles my mind that you would set yourself up as judge and jury and decide that this man is faking an arm problem! What possible motive could he have? He loves baseball - it has been his whole life. Can you really believe that he enjoys sitting in the dugout, watching his friends out on the field and not being able to participate?? And since you throw in the Bowden quote from last year that if the Nats were in a pennant race, he could pitch every 5 days, let me remind you that he said that before Patterson finally had the tests which indicated a nerve problem and led to surgery. Do you think Patterson convinced Dr. Shaffer to do the surgery so he would have another scar on his arm to show off? Do you realize that there is a possibility that because the team did not take his arm problem seriously at first and waited so long to do the tests, that he could have permanent nerve damage which would end his career? Since you have shown so much spitefulness and animosity towards this young man, would you please tell us what he has ever done to you, personally? It must be something serious for you to not only be so vindictive, but to encourage your readers to heap their wrath upon him. If I had the power, Barry, I would send you on a "magical mystery tour" - in search of a new job. I fully intend to complain to the Post, though I doubt that it will do any good. I have been a subscriber for more than 40 years and have never seen anything like this!

Posted by: jpsfanandproudofit | June 26, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

there's a great article on Da Meat Hook's revival on espn's site:

Posted by: e | June 26, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

draft signings - Not surprised at all. As of today, only 11/30 of the first round picks have signed, and only 2 of the top 12 have signed and both of them were college seniors. 13/34 have signed from the supplemental round. Give it some time, no need to worry yet.

Posted by: Brian | June 26, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

jpsfanandproudofit

Posted by: Breathe In, Breathe Out | June 26, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Whoa, whoa, jpsfanandproudofit...

If you want to slam someone for mocking Patterson, slam us posters. Barry has never ever implied that Patterson is faking it. At times he may have opened the door to our musing that Patterson is injury prone and will never be able to be the reliable ace, but I don't even recall him saying that.

As to a name for his tour of doctors: it's gallows humor. You clearly understand how crushing it is for Patterson to not be what he wants to be (no one on this blog has EVER said otherwise), but don't forget how crushing it is for all his fans too, who love him and want to see him in 2005 form.

When you lose 4 of 5 replacement starters to injuries and have to play with replacement replacements, when you lose Guzman again in the first game (and Nook) and then get him back only to lose him again, when you lose Cordero and Fick for bereavement leave, when you lose "Everyday" Colome to freak lower extremity problems, when you find out you may lose your ace forever and your acting ace for the season, you have two choices: whine and moan about how unfair it is or laugh it off and keep going.

Making up names for Patterson's trip is a good way to laugh about something that Nats fans are really, really worried about, so we can go out there and expect a win against Atlanta tonight and tomorrow and then Pittsburgh and so on. No one wants to laugh at John Patterson or demean him. We want to laugh right in the face of the fickle, cruel gods of baseball and let them know that we won't accept the lot they mean for us to take.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Swanni?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

That really bowled me over.

Way to mop up the last dying gasps of that line of yuks.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) |

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

jpsfanandproudofit, ease back a bit. There's no crying in baseball. Whether you're really jp, or jp's mom, please don't get the wrong idea: we are, and will remain, jp fans.

I'm sorry if we hit the wrong nerve, but don't be overly sensitive....

We should be really happy we have all the Nats coverage from the WaPo that the paper, and primarily Barry, provides: Gamers, Notebooks, Blogs, podcasts, video podcasts, Bozcasts, chats... it's a lot of work.

Posted by: derek | June 26, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

506, right on re JP.

I think (I hope) all or most of us love Patty and wish him well. But, good grief, his head must be about fit to spin around on his shoulders after all he's been through -- which, as we note regularly, is only about the dude's whole career in baseball. Humor, black though it be, at least tries to leaven a very, very heavy situation.

jpsfanandproudofit, good for you. JP needs fans like you. But for goodness' sake, please chill out a bit before you call for the head of the best beat writer in pro sports. I suspect that Barry just might care more, maybe a lot more, than you think he does.

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Also, if you take a look, JP is *not* the only one taking a hit in this forum. Everyone's had their share and it's definitely not personal at all. A lot of us (read: me) are just showing off anyway.

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

To jpsfanandproudofit:

I would be amazed if Patterson isn't laughing right along with us for the reason(s) section506 (after moving) points out. None of us are being mean, we'd be making just as much fun if it was one of us that was suffering. The only thing really off limits is bereavement issues. Barry doesn't deserve your anger.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 26, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Patterson reminds me of a guy I used to work with (my boss, actually) who got all "A"s in HS, college & grad school & was then confronted with having to make decisions in the real world in which he might be wrong. He froze & dithered, because of fear of not getting another A. What he didn't realize was that being right 90 times out of 100 was better for the organization than being right 10 times out of 10.

Maybe Patterson (and the team) would be better off with him being 90% for 30 starts a year instead of 100% for 6.

Posted by: Section 418 | June 26, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Barry writes, "To be sure, this is a serious matter, and Patterson takes it seriously."

I think "Magical Mystery Tour" speaks to the odd circumstance in which Patterson finds himself. Like Kasten said, four cross-country trips in four days is not standard practice. I didn't get the impression that Barry was poking fun.

I did get the sense that we were poking fun, but like 506 said, it's gallows humor. Nats fans have had to learn how to deal with bad news of ridiculous proportions - seriously, our set-up guy is out with an infected butt - and this is what we do. It's not in the spirit of malicious attack, but rather in the spirit of commiseration. I'm sure we'd all like to see JP back and 100%.

That being said, though, 506, I do believe you're the winner with "The Magic is History Tour" (Derek is runner-up with "Appetite for Reconstruction").

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

No one is making fun of JP. I would think that even JP would smile at the musings of Barry and his fans. To know that we haven't forgotten him or thrown him overboard. What in the world do you think he would be going thru should he be playing in the big apple. Not comparable, I assure you. We all just want/hope that JP can return to his 05' form. lighten up jpsfanandproudofit. On with the show.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | June 26, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Section 418: being right 90 times out of 100 is still an A in most schools (not my high school, strangely enough). Just saying.

Derek: I'm reconsidering my decision. Wrong NERVE? You're killing me!

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barry, How come the Braves start at 7:30 Anyway?

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

90 out of a 100 was a "B" when I matriculated but it still ain't bad.

Posted by: Dancer13 | June 26, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

... Barry, my Barry. Congrats to you and the scribe-ess. Three years and counting. Oh my word, but those were the days. A mere two months ago, Ms. Reduxit et moi looked back on thirty one of the finest.

... more power to you two, for decades to come.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 26, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Easy, now. Not trying to make fun at all. Just trying to get people to think about a situation I find intriguing and is important to the Nationals.

Thanks for the support.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | June 26, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Barry and Mrs. Nationals Journal. Did she keep her name or does she love you enough to explain how to pronounce it every two seconds? I'm sure you two have nightmares about Ray King trying to say it...

Since you bring up the "staff" again, I will bring up my previous request to let us know who else helps out on the Journal, particularly the unsung tech nerds and any interns that help. Much thanks to them and perhaps they had a hand in the miracles that made you St. Barry (gamers and notebooks, blog, podcast, count 'em Benedict).

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

About that lineup: wow, it really is getting crowded out there in center...

Posted by: joebleux | June 26, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

jpsfanandproudofit

... don't hold back. Why don't you tell us what you really think? BTW did you know that there is a way to send personal e-mails to Barry without involving this list?

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 26, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

You've got Kearns in Left and a Langerhans/Church combo in Center, with no one manning right field. Care to elaborate? Assuming for a moment that Church is in Left, Langerhans is in Center and Kearns is in Right, why no Watson? Is this also a further sign that Nook is on his way out? Herd anything more about that situation?

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yay! Langerhans bats leadoff!

Eat that Atlanta.

Posted by: BrianH | June 26, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Barry, to you and Mrs. Journal, and may you have many more happy years to come. As natscan says, those were the days. Natsfan1c and I will be celebrating our 25th in a few months. I've often reflected that fandom and marriage require some of the same attributes. Among those that come to mind: patience, tolerance of flaws and foibles, a sense of humor, and a willingness to commit through thick and thin, in sickness and health.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry. Will fix lineup pronto.

Braves start at 7:35 because of TBS sitcom programming. Not kidding.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | June 26, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Uh, mom?...please, you are embarassing me... I know you are my-fan-and-proud-of-it, but...

Love,
Your son Johnny

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | June 26, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

"Braves start at 7:35 because of TBS sitcom programming"

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | June 26, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the various responses posted re. Barry and this blog. I would also say that we're all Nats fans -- we wouldn't be participating here otherwise -- and I think we all care about the welfare of the team and of its players.

In general, it can be challenging to determine mood and intent in online postings, but taking the time to read some previous threads and lurking for a bit before posting can often give one a feel for the culture of a particular online community and allow for an informed evaluation.

Yes, humor is part of the culture of this community, but Barry also provides insightful and sensitive commentary on the struggles of players, as with the recent thread on Guzman's injury.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"four cities, four doctors, four opinions, one elbow"

Let's hope it's not going to turn out to be "4 Visits and a (career)Funeral"

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | June 26, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

In all seriousness, I want to be clear that I'm a huge JP fan and wish him every ounce of luck and health that he can get. he's been through so much trying to pitch his heart out for this team. That's a bit Joe Gibbs-y, but really, I hope he gets everything straightened out and gets back on the field before September and finishes his career, as a nat, many years from now. Hopefully this trip around the country will help.

At the end of the day, it's just sports, and with all the crap going on in the world, sports injuries should be squarely within the realm of stuff that's ok to joke about.

Posted by: derek | June 26, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

one of Barry's Babes writes: "...and because Happy Hour doesn't end until 7, and you need time to get from the bar to the stadium. " - ROTFLMAO!

Barry, happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Nationals Journal. Not to pry, but do you intend to make up your absence from home on your special day?

Posted by: BrianH | June 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

"ROTFLMAO"

huh?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

rolling on the floor laughing my, umm, "lower right soft tissue extremity" off.

---

"ROTFLMAO"

huh?

Posted by: NatsNut | June 26, 2007 04:26 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the ends of careers, how much longer do you think Joe Gibbs has? I'm happy talking about these scrappy Nats and up-and-coming manager Manny Acta for quite a few months, before having to go back to the headache that is the 'Skins and Joe You-Can't-Go-Home Gibbs.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Rolling on the floor. Laughing my a** off

Posted by: ROTFLMAO | June 26, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I second that emotion.

---

Nats chat = No Redskins talk

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 04:36 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 04:38 PM

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

We still love ya, tho, Sect. 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I believe that means "rolling on the floor laughing my arse off."

I had to look this up one day when I didn't know why people kept saying "lol" at me (I thought it was a word).

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Re "Nats chat = No Redskins talk"

Within reason, to be sure. But they talk all kinds of stuff over on La Canfora's Skins blog. I'm willing to be tolerant here.

(I also talk too much hockey on this blog, so obviously I'm biased.)

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Two comments from Barry in one day? This 7:35 start is really freeing up your schedule!

Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Journal. Just to continue the tradition of unsolicited marital information, Mrs. Mpls and I will have our first anniversary in August. A lot of summer anniversaries - how many will be spent at the ballpark?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

La Canfora was actually a heck of a beat writer for the Caps before getting the "promotion" to the Redskins. That's what scares me about Barry being so good...

That's three Capitals references now.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

No ire on my part -- I'm just way more into baseball than football (and, to be truthful, I still harbor some feelings for the SF 49ers, from the Montana era).

---

John in Mpls said: I think I've made two Capitals references in the past week, and somehow this has not been met with the same ire.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary!
This weekend we celebrate my parents' 60th wedding anniversary - of interest to this group, though, is that 61 years ago, my father saw 55 Senators home games at Griffith Stadium. He also used to take us to see the "new" Senators at DC Stadium, later RFK, in the 1960s.

Posted by: Traveler | June 26, 2007 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Probably not, but it's usually my birthday wish to go to a game. Unfortunately, this year baseball will be over by the time my b-day rolls around.

---

A lot of summer anniversaries - how many will be spent at the ballpark?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 04:52 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Interesting... I too am a Niners fan. Anyway, I've lived all over the country, and happened to move here the same fall as the Nats. Needless to say, I couldn't care less about the Skins, Caps, or Wizards. I didn't mean it with any "ire", just a gentle nudge/reminder/suggestion. I'm just on the Nationals Journal to read about and discuss the Nationals, that's all.

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I know what you mean: my birthday is during the World Series. So yeah, I'd kill to see a Nats game on my birthday.

Speaking of the Sens, Traveler, I saw the coolest Senators jacket hanging in the window of a thrift store near my house in Uptown Minneapolis. How cool is that? I also saw a guy walking around the skyways with a red curly W hat. Some of these Minnesotans have some taste, I tell you.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

John, you gotta buy the Senators jacket, then put it on e-Bay, and let the rest of us know to bid on it.

Posted by: Traveler | June 26, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I'd buy it for myself if I had $50. If it's still around when I get paid on Thursday, yours truly will be making a charitable donation to the Steeple People.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Did the Mrs. make the trip with you? I got the new issue of Washingtonian the other day, and you guys got a mention in the PostWatch column which discusses all the inter-Post marriages.

Posted by: Cosmo | June 26, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Langerhans leading off? Well, that gets that pesky first out taken care of early. Manny might just've well written "Pass" next to the one slot.

(Of course now he'll have a great night just to throw my cynicism back at me.)

Posted by: Kevin | June 26, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

The comments about looking up the meaning of ROTFLMAO and LOL, along with allusions to the Senators in this and past threads makes me wonder... am I the only GenXer (JennXer :)) or younger on this blog? I'm 31.

Posted by: JennX | June 26, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

JennX - I'm 25

Kevin - You just about made me "rotfl" (god I hate that crap). Anyway, the image in my mind of a scorecard with "PASS" on it just about made me lose it... good work.

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm 28. I grew up with my dad's bitterness about losing the Sens.

I did look up "lol" once, but that was when I first starting using instant messaging, years and years ago.

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

JennX - I'm 25

Kevin - You just about made me "rotfl" (ugh, I hate that stuff). Anyway, the image in my mind of a scorecard with "PASS" on it just about made me lose it... good work.

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

That was a good Kurkjian ESPN.com piece on Dmitri 's resurgence. Have I missed a similar long takeout on Young by Our Favorite Beat Writer? It's one of the best developments of this season!

Posted by: Eyewitness | June 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Eyewitness | June 26, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

If the thought of ribs in Toronto angered Langerhans to the point of smashing a home run, what would writing "Pass" do?

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

John-- was just in your fair city yesterday for a mere 20 hours (day of work meetings). If only I'd known about that Senators jacket!

Posted by: JennX | June 26, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Well that was odd... it rejected my comment because I "violated a rule", so I took out "crap" and re-posted it, but the original one went in anyway...

Posted by: Matt | June 26, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, John's mom needs to take a few deep breaths. All in fun, no one is accusing JP of anything, just mentioning a number of facts and quotes and leaving people to draw their own conclusions.

Please spare me the "if you were REAL fans" bit. Who gets to decide these things? Barry goes to games on his own dime on his days off! I think that qualifies as a real fan by any standard.

As the husband of a Chicago native and Cubs fan, I have to say JP is starting to remind me of Wood/Prior. Sure hope it doesn't go that way but not looking good at all right now.

If these docs say he can pitch w/o causing further damage then it's time to take the mound and shut everyone up w/ his performance.

Posted by: mlwagnercpa | June 26, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, happy anniversary to Mr. and Mrs. Journal!

Posted by: mlwagnercpa | June 26, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Great story on Dmitri. I had no idea the severity of his health problems last year. I think I've mentioned in previous threads that I found it hard, especially at first, to be enthusiastic about a player with domestic violence in his recent past. I can say that I cheer pretty unabashedly now-- I'm gonna be sorry to see Dmitri go, and not just because of his average!

Posted by: JennX | June 26, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Oooh, I hope we'll find out tonite!

---

Posted by: John in Mpls | June 26, 2007 05:28 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

JennX, I've followed the same path as you on Dmitri and feel the same way. I think it would be great if he did a PSA about diabetes.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

"Nats chat = No Redskins talk"

... I would like to concur. No really I would; I'm not much of a football fan.

... but since I've been an abuser of this 'rule' in my own write - I've often introduced a hockey stick or two to the conversation - I'd be willing to let Sect506 comment on Joe Gibbs, Redskins et al, just as long as at the end of the day, we're all present and accounted for due to our common Nationals committment.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | June 26, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

JennX -- I'm 38 (although not sure if that's past the cutoff point for GenXers). I'm a Nats fan because I've spent the longest stretch of my life (14 years off and on) in DC. The rest was in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Panama, Morocco and Egypt.

Posted by: Juan-John | June 26, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

The worst part about the Skins comment is that I was observing how much better it was to talk about the Nats!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Sect. 506. I shouldn't have piled on.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't complain, I suppose I fumbled the original comment anyway.

---

I'm sorry, Sect. 506. I shouldn't have piled on.

Posted by: natsfan1a | June 26, 2007 06:27 PM

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | June 26, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Barry. Your blog is gaining traction. Deservedly so.

But I don't like your days off. Is that because of the Guild? Oh for the good old Red Smith days.

Posted by: JohnR (VA) | June 26, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary Svrlugas!

Posted by: Patty | June 26, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I am not usually against humour, but when it is mean -spirited,spiteful,hurtful "humour",and when it is invited and encouraged by a reporter and aimed at a player on the team he should be supporting who is possibly facing a career-ending situation, I think it is ill-conceived and inappropriate. And I do feel that I was correct in addressing it to both Barry and those who comment on this "Journal" I am glad to see that there are some Patterson supporters who are not afraid to speak out. I have long since learned that there are those who will agree but say nothing until one person speaks up. I am, in reality, a very shy and timid persom, but I have learned over the years that if I feel strongly that something is wrong, I have an obligation to speak up and I have tried to do that.

No, I am not John Patterson's mother - I am a little older than she. In fact, when his grandmother died last year, I discovered that I am only 2 years younger than she was when she died. I have been a baseball fan since 1948 when I rooted for the Jacksonville (FL) Tars of the South Atlantic League so I have been around a while.

John Patterson is my favorite player and I don't find anything in the current situation to laugh about. I am very worried about him, and would hope that there are others who share my concerns.

Posted by: jpsfanandproudofit | June 26, 2007 7:26 PM | Report abuse

jpsfanandproudofit, thanks for staying on board. You'll find we're not such a Nasty bunch after all.

(Except we love JP aka Nasty. We do. Truly.)

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

OK, "not JP's Mom", you'll have to forgive our irreverant sense of humor on the blog. We certainly don't mean any harm by it and I think the vast majority of us want JP to throw 200 innings every year and get 15 plus wins. And being a fan since 1948 I think puts us all to shame.

I can't promise I won't make jokes when people get hurt, I tend to make those jokes w/ my friends and since I like all the Nats, I'll tend to do it w/ them too. We're glad to have you on the blog, you can the blog mother that tells us we should nice to people. I'm sure my mom would say the same if she read the blog.

Posted by: mlwagnercpa | June 26, 2007 8:55 PM | Report abuse

happy anniversary to you and mrs. nationals journal! to add to the unsolicited live events comments, my birthday is june 21st and the nationals have had two off days and an away game so far on my birthday...even some of us lucky enough to have summer birthdays don't get to go to games. anyways, jp needs to catch a break with his elbow real soon. the longer he's out, the harder it is for him to come back.

Posted by: kelly | June 26, 2007 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Happy Anniversary! Maybe you can take Mrs. Nat's Journal to the Varsity for dinner tonight.

Any chance that the "Patterson mystery tour" is actually the "Patterson is being floated as trade bait but teams want an inspection first tour"? (A bit wordy to be sure). St. Louis and Texas are desparate for help to get into contention an the Angels will need some to stay there.

Tis the season . . .

Posted by: cmc in Orangeburg | June 26, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

I just want to point out that notJP'sMom would never get away with that if Gene Weingarten were still at the Post.

Posted by: Cevans | June 26, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Watson just got sent back down. And Batista is still with us. This makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Hendo | June 26, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse