Dmitri back in the lineup, and a little Frank

So Dmitri Young returns to the field tonight, as Manny Acta predicted. Your lineups from Citizens Bank Park (where there are no parking garages blocking the view of the Philadelphia skyline):

Washington:
Lopez -- 6
Belliard -- 4 (Taking his teammates to postgame dinner?)
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Church -- 7
Kearns -- 9
Schneider -- 2
Langerhans -- 8
Bergmann -- 1

Philadelphia:
Rollins -- 6
Victorino -- 9
Utley -- 4 (boy oh boy do I like him)
Howard -- 3
Rowand -- 8
Burrell -- 7
Dobbs -- 5
Ruiz -- 2
Kendrick -- 1

So I talked to Frank Robinson for a few minutes by phone yesterday. Called him in the morning and, not surprisingly, found him in the ninth tee box somewhere out west. Told me to call back in a few hours. I basically wanted to get his thoughts on Bonds playing during Sunday's Hall of Fame induction ceremony for Sheinin's story this morning (an interesting read, if you haven't picked it up).

But the other item: He is going to Cooperstown this weekend (as is MASN broadcaster Don Sutton, another HofFer). Of course, Frank hasn't been since he began managing the Expos/Nationals, so his last trip was in 2001. "I'm looking forward to it," he said. We're going to catch up there, and I'll let you know what his thoughts are on a bunch of subjects. He said he still watches the team as often as he can.

Really nice day here in Philly. Anxious to get back to playing some ball. Talk to you later.

By Barry Svrluga  |  July 24, 2007; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Who to trade? Who to keep?
Next: Uh-oh

Comments

Isn't there a Phillies sign blocking the skyline though? It was there on Opening Day 2005.

Posted by: WFY | July 24, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Now that's service. Ask for a Frank update and get it in less than 24 hours. New T-shirt slogan:

Nationals Journal
"All the news that fit to blog"

or

Nationals Journal
"Svrluga Day and Night"
"Do you Svrluga?"
"Your One Stop Svrluga"
"Svrluga This"

Stop me before I svrluga.....

Posted by: NatBisquit | July 24, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Not living in the DC area Im not as "in" on things like the construction details. So then its true that the parking garages WILL block the skyline (including the Capitol Building and the Washington Monument???)...I thought I read something the other day how they might tear them (the garages) down after a few years. Anyone hear of that?

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | July 24, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

...or "I got your Svrluga right here"

Posted by: NatsNut | July 24, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

...or "check out the Svrluga on that guy"

(somebody stop us)

Posted by: NatsNut | July 24, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

From Sheinin's article today recommended by Barry:

"It's basically good versus evil," said former Baltimore Orioles pitcher Jim Palmer, a 1990 Hall of Fame inductee. "Here you have two guys who played the game the right way, who were marvelous people on and off the field, and another -- nothing against Barry -- who wasn't."

Can someone explain to me how that's not something against Barry Not-Svrluga who shall not be mentioned in his entirety in this blog?

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 24, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

506: Irony. Ar, ar, ar.

"Barry, you totally suck, man. I mean, like, no offense, dude."

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Re. tee slogans, you guys are out of control, or on a roll -- I'm not sure which. Some really good ones coming up here!

Will look forward to reading the Frank update. Such service, as others have noted. We'll get spoiled...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 24, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Sect. 506, I was struck by that, too (not that I'll lose any sleep over it)...

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 24, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Barry = Utley's mom

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 24, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Good to see Dmitri back in the line-up.

Posted by: kevinx | July 24, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"p.s. Barry = Utley's mom"

Good call natsfan1a!! It totally slipped right past me!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 24, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Andrew Stebbins - I don't think you'll be able to see the Capitol or Washington Monument from the stadium regardless of whether there are parking garages to the north.

The stadium is being built along the river at the base of the south face of Capitol Hill. There are plenty of buildings and the SE/SW Freeway inbetween there and the Capitol. Plus, the stadium is "facing" to the northeast. the Monument is about two miles west of the Capitol...which is even about a block westward from the west edge of the new stadium.

Because home plate has to face an easterly direction, it would be virtually impossible to design the stadium to incorporate views of either of any DC monuments.

Posted by: DE | July 24, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I think I read somewhere that the capitol could be seen from the right field upper deck areas.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 24, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

This isn't scientific, but just my observation...

Here's the effect of the whole Bonds and steroids thing... I don't care about the record. I have a hard time getting interested enough to keep count or follow Bonds' progress. The record (will be/has been) rendered meaningless.

I didn't feel that way when Aaron hit the record-breaker. I went out of my way to watch that game (I think the whole country did). That was probably one of the defining moments of sports in the 20th century... the same can't be said of Bonds.

I think it is sad that media outlets would ration their coverage of the Hall of Fame induction if Bonds breaks the record on Sunday... but it certainly will be news.

From the "Schadenfreude Silver Lining Department:" Bonds has forever put his own personal asterisk next to the record. It's like going to Vegas and hitting the jackpot, and being paid in Monopoly money.

Posted by: Wigi | July 24, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Umm, I didn't see Svrluga in the line-up but, hey, whatever works!

---

Really nice day here in Philly. Anxious to get back to playing some ball.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 24, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

T-Shirt slogan: Nats Fans + Nats Journal = Natsural Match

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 24, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Wigi -

Nice take on the Bonds HR issue. You summed up my feelings exactly.

Posted by: #4 | July 24, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Drat. Here come the Isolated Showers & Thunderstorms.

Oh, well, there'll be other nights for the Baysox. Looks like a swell forecast for Philly, though.

Hmmm.... NAAAH...

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

or maybe:

Nats Fans + Nats Journal = Natsvrugl Match

Posted by: i hate walks | July 24, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

I can't belive I just posted that publicly.

See how badly ONE DAY without a game has effected me? How am I ever going to make it through the winter?

Posted by: i hate walks | July 24, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I thought "a little Frank" was coaching the New Jersey Nets.

Posted by: Cosmo | July 24, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Frank tries to bunt the golf ball into the hole?

Posted by: Chris | July 24, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Nah, Chris. He goes for the hit-and-run.

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Where were you when Aaron hit the record-breaker, Wigi?

I remember where I was... across the street at the neighbors' pool. We watched every Aaron at-bat and swam in between. I was just getting seriously into baseball, and what a way to lock down the love.

Wonder what kids today think? Do they even care?

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

More about strikeouts; this excellent freebie from Baseball Prospectus looks at the issue from the pitcher's point of view:

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Why wave in the *pitcher*, for crying out loud, when the outfield is playing shallow?

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Hendo:

I was sitting at home in front of my parent's television. I remember that I made some sort of effort to watch the game... lobbying the parents to watch the ballgame, rather than something else that might have been on television that night.

That was back in my baseball dark ages... long enough after the Senators had left that I had lost some interest, but before I got into going to see the Orioles.

Posted by: Wigi | July 24, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Wigi. Love to hear other bloggers' reminiscences too.

Damn. Bergmann's down. Serious troubles for the rotation, since Traber's getting the call.

Posted by: Hendo | July 24, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Barry just posted in real-time, when Bergmann was pulled. New thread all!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

"I see your Svrluga is as big as mine!"

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2007 8:33 PM | Report abuse

"Where were you when Aaron hit the record-breaker"?

I was sitting on a sofa in the TV lounge of my dorm at the University of South Carolina, grumbling only slightly that I'd been to the last three Braves home games of the previous season.

Posted by: Section 502 (When Hank Hammered It) | July 24, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous quips: "I see your Svrluga is as big as mine!"

Sounds like one of those beer commercials from last season's Nats radio broadcasts....

Posted by: Hendo | July 25, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse