Lannan ejected!

So this is crazy. In the bottom of the fifth, John Lannan got Victorino to ground out. He then hit Chase Utley with a pitch that was up and in, and Utley didn't look too happy about it. One out, one on.

Howard, who has homered in the past two games, then came to the plate. Lannan came up and in again and whacked Howard. Both pitches appeared to be fastballs that got away from Lannan.

Home plate umpire Hunter Wendlestedt did not hesitate. He tossed Lannan immediately.

That seems curious, at best, doesn't it? Is a 22-year-old making his first appearance in the majors going to intentionally hit two of the best hitters in the National League back-to-back? Lannan walked off the mound to the dugout after shrugging his shoulders slightly.

Manny Acta obviously disagreed. He came out to argue with Wendlestedt. It wasn't a Piniella-esque hat-tossing thing, but he let it be known he wasn't happy. After Wendlestedt told him to go to the mound and get another pitcher (Chris Schroder), Acta muttered something else, Wendlestedt tossed Acta, too. Craziness.

Acta went back to argue, then remained on the field until Schroder got to the mound. Phillies still lead 3-2. Runners on first and second with one out. And Pat Corrales now at the helm.

Acta's first ejection -- and first even close ejection -- this season.

Small update: Steinberg is doing some research on this and may post over at the D.C. Sports Bog.

Larger update: I asked David Vincent, a home run guru and one of the Nationals' official scorers, about this. He keeps track of ejections as well. As best as he can tell, Lannan is the fifth player to get tossed in his major league debut. The others:

05/03/1994 PHI Andy Carter Excessive wildness - hit 2 of 3 batters
05/20/1995 MIL Sid Roberson Throwing at batter after warning
07/08/1995 OAK Doug Johns Throwing at batter
06/20/1997 CIN Aaron Boone Threw helmet arguing called 3d strike

So there's that.

By Barry Svrluga  |  July 26, 2007; 2:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lannan through four
Next: The future of Flores and Schneider -- and Bergmann to the D.L.

Comments

GO MANNY GO!!!

Posted by: highboom | July 26, 2007 2:41 PM | Report abuse

In my previous post I forgot to also mention the terrible ball call on the pitch before Rowand homered on tuesday. What a memorable major league debut. Can't wait to see what Tim Kurkjian has to say about this (its the first time in the past ____ years that a player making his debut has gotten ejected). Go Nats!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 26, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What, the ump couldn't have warned Lannan first??? Wotta bullcrap call.

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Barry - did Wendelstadt issue Lannan a warning after he hit Utley? I'm listening on the radio and Charlie and Dave were appalled (appropriately). They have not mentioned any warning.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Wendlestedt = Utley and Howard's mom

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

It's gonna be so sweet when we knock the Phillies out of the chase this year...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so now Lannan's debut is officially inauspicious.

I'm no longer optimistic.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's Lannan's fault, though. Let's not give up on him.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 02:58 PM

"Okay, so now Lannan's debut is officially inauspicious.

I'm no longer optimistic."

That feeling might just be the Whopper!

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Why is Utley ALWAYS at bat. ALWAYS. No matter when I turn to the game, no matter what tough spot we're in, Utley is always at the plate.

I hate, hate, hate the Phillies. They are our rivals, [RF] the O's.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Or it could be the onion rings talking.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Obviously we need to find out if Wendlestedt put down any money on this game.

Posted by: MikeH0714 | July 26, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys, knock out their starter, we've got to get to their bullpen, the soft underbelly, before they get further through ours.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wendelstadt really wanted to be a NBA ref. Umpire was his second choice.

And why not leave Schroeder in to throw at Utley's head? Then go with King.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2007 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I certainly don't blame the guy. But I really, really wanted him to get the W in his first start, especially after last night's heartbreaker.

But the Hershey pie has calmed me down.

-----

I don't think it's Lannan's fault, though. Let's not give up on him.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"Obviously we need to find out if Wendlestedt put down any money on this game."

I'm amused. I'd like to point out, though, that Wendlestedt couldn't possibly be cheating, because he's so obviously cheating. He would be the worst cheater ever, since everyone would be on to him.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

It's riding on the Phillies, it would seem.

---

Obviously we need to find out if Wendlestedt put down any money on this game.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Good idea, John. I'm reaching for the Hershey bar right now.

---

But the Hershey pie has calmed me down.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Keep King in to hit and pitch the 7th or PH for him?

I say have him put his big belly over the plate and load the bases.

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Sect. 506, it would be too obvious. He just has a bizzare strike zone (especially if you're a Nats pitcher making your MLB debut)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

THROW AT WENDLESTEDT!

Posted by: WFY | July 26, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

I think that a position has recently opened up in the NBA.

---

Wendelstadt really wanted to be a NBA ref. Umpire was his second choice.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

It worked last night, come on Tony!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Wendlestedt's father was born in Baltimore.

You may begin generating conspiracy theories...now.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Lopez (no longer F LOP?) with the 2 RBI single.

This may be a game yet...

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

True, Lopez has contributed nicely today. Nook's had two hits as well, which is also remarkable. I'm stuck on gameday only here--was his getting caught stealing his fault or just a good throw?

Posted by: hb | July 26, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

If you Wiki Hunter Wendlestedt, you'll find the following tidbit:

"He's a stupid little [RF] who can't control his temper and makes rookie pitchers suffer because he has a monstrous hangover."

Updated, not surprisingly, today (not by me).

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

John, Googling "Hunter Wendlestedt" and "ejection" or "strike zone" turns up issues with other teams. I haven't been in the habit of keeping track of who the umps were for any given series, but I think I may start now (I think that my scorecard has a place for it).

---

Wendlestedt's father was born in Baltimore.

You may begin generating conspiracy theories...now.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

You beat me to it, John. I'll check out the Wiki...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Impressive research John in Mpls. No need to "generate" conspriacy theories when it comes to Baltimore. (I am however still disappointed by your choice of Burger King - one of my favorite Thai restaurants is right down by the Metrodome; I forget the name though)

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

There's a BK right across the street, and I wanted to get back to my desk so I wouldn't miss anything interesting in the game, ironically.

I'll check on that Thai place, though. I don't venture out enough for lunch.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I believe it is "Satai" or some such.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Queue up the TiVo, folks, something big is about to happen - I have a meeting in nine minutes.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Charlie just said that Meat, who has just been pulled for a pinch runner, has agreed to a two-year extension with an option for the third year.

Of course, they may have already said that while I was at Burger King.

Third-year option. Interesting.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Barry, for the heads up on the Bog. Ironic that it happened in the debut of a Phillies' lefty as well.

The Bog also has a link to a Fortune magazine story that leads off with an anecdote about a certain very hard-working young beat reporter...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Comeon Church, get us a 2RBI double before we ship you off to God Knows Where...

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Church on Thursday??

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, got sucked back in when I saw the score.

FYI, the Lannan ejection is on GameDay in-game highlights. Tough break kid.

C'mon Churchie!
I swear i'm gonna get fired for a lousy team that doesn't quit. What happens when they start to win games on a day game?

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 26, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

How many of the other four first-timers were thrown out by Wendelstedt?

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

No Church on Thursday, 0-4 today.

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

When Church doesn't come through, we turn our hopes to Jesus.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Jesus saves!!!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

JESUS SAVES!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 26, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Awesome - three-run ding-dong from Jesus Flores!!!

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I swear these teams must hate beating one another...they try so hard not to win these games...5 innings in a row with hte leadoff man on before the phillies could score...catchable fly ball in the 9th for the nats to put it away...rivalry-yes, good baseball-NO.

Posted by: Phillies fan | July 26, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I OWE IT ALL... TO JESUS

Posted by: mrm0to | July 26, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

HOLY CR@P, Flores hit a 3 run dinger to Left!

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Jesus saves!

Posted by: Paul | July 26, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

...and then Nook weakly grounds out to end the inning (sigh).

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hah, great minds think alike, natsinthevalley!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Does Rauch have enough juice to pitch two innings? Does Cordero?

Is there anyone else available?

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

When Church doesn't come through, we turn our hopes to Jesus.

This should perhaps be entered into the T-shirt logo vote 506 AM

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

That would be an interesting research project...

lowcountrynatsfan asks: How many of the other four first-timers were thrown out by Wendelstedt?

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Hah - I scoot back to my GameDay and guess who's up:

Chase Utley.

Section 506 - I'm with you, bro. Last night was unreal, but it seems that way when they are on ESPN or other games too - it's like there are three of him in the order...

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 26, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Did I call it or what? Man, this is unreal.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

To carry on with non-secular references, Slowes just used one of my favorite lines, about fans streaming for the exits as though a plague of locusts had descended on the stadium.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

To answer my own question, Rauch did have the juice for two innings. You almost want your guys to go a quick 1-2-3 to get the Chief in there to finish the game before the next crazy BS play happens...

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Uh-uh, no crazy BS plays will take place (unless we're talkin' Barry Svrluga plays).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

WILL SOMEBODY TELL ME THE SCORE ????!!!!!

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"non-secular references"

Love it.

ShawNatsFan, do you think we might trade Rauch and Church to the Phillies for one of their Utley clones? Presumably having three ought to reduce their individual value.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

So, I found myself questioning this for several hours last night/this morning:

how do the Phillies, with a pretty good line-up (well, the top 6 anyway, arguably without Burrell), pretty good starters, a bullpen composed of 3-4 proven CLOSERS, and great recent fan support, only make it to 3rd place in the NL East? They have 2 guys hitting over .325 and the top 5 are all over .275 with Howard as the "weakest link."

With their lineup and all, am i the only one who is surprised they don't have have a better record? Then, I see how crappy their bullpen has been all year and it makes more sense.

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 26, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Why did Rauch stay in to bat? Is Cordero not available for the 9th so Rauch is going to try for a 3 inning win?

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

7-5, bottom of the 9th, Cordero facing Howard, Rowland, and Bourn

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

and back to the cigar box sized strike zone on the big 3 for the phils...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 26, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

thanks, Sec 506

I hate day games....

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Stay at your computer John in Mpls until there is a curly w in the books.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO NO NO

2 on an 1 out for Cordero.

don't do this to us AGAIN!

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

uh oh

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I think Manny is back in the tunnel lighting up a cig...aka Weaver...as Cordero is doing his Don Stanhouse impression....my oh my.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Damn you Chad Cordero, I am going to lose my lunch. I propose a new stat: AGN for the agony a closer puts fans through

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Intentionally walk Coste to get to Ruiz and Nunez (.258 & .257) respectively.

Neither team has any reserves left if I'm counting right...

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

2nd and 3rd with 1 out. Cardiac Cordero again! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us end this in 9 today!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 26, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Wendelstadt is the WORST, what a joke.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 26, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Barry's Babes:

Runner on third, chad gave up one run, two outs

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

BB?!?!?

C'mon Cordero, cut this crap out already.

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

No one ever listens to me. Although this is where we were supposed to be (without the Church throwing error) in last nights game.

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Chad walks Ruiz on 4

Two outs, men on the corner, Nunez up to bat

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

All right, Chad, that's quite enough young man. You buckle down and get this out right now!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Phew....

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

was that an intentional walk, or COrdero crashing?

Posted by: I only have GameDay graphics | July 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

WE WON, I feel like we just won a pennant. All to avoid the sweep...

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

good god... jesus saves and cardiac cordero does as well... barely...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

THANK GOD...DON STANHOUSE LIVES...WHEW

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 26, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Phew!

Looks like Chad listened to you, natsfan1a! :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it worked!

Not intentional BB.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Phew" is a good thing, right ?

Was the previous BB intentional?

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

With only Jimenez on the bench and after last night's fiasco, I believe the thinking was to hang on to a bench hitter, just in case.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

OK now that we got THAT taken care of...anything new on Young?

Posted by: estuartj | July 26, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

onto shea and the miserable mets...get r done

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 26, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Indeed - game over. Nats win 7 - 6.

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else not get any work done this afternoon? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, we know where he got the cigar - Wendlestedt's "cigar box" strike zone!

-----

I think Manny is back in the tunnel lighting up a cig...aka Weaver...

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

John in Mpls

I would have laughed myself to death if they'd walked him. How bad an ump do you have to be not to be able to see Rauch's strike zone? There are zip codes in NYC smaller than that!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 26, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

SC Nats Fan, you have the right to bare arms!

---

onto shea and the miserable mets...get r done

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know why a Phils/Nats day game would be sold out? Were they giving away free cash or something?

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I got work done... !

...not by choice though, but when you can't have a radio on the job and the firewall blocks out on-line games...what else can I do :)

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Unreal.
Jesus coming up big again. Nice to squeak out of W today, with all the negatives going in to start, get ejected, and all.

Sounds like two umps with tiny strike zones -- happy to get out of Philly! Everyone get some rest tonight and eat your Wheaties at Shea. Looks like t could be a bumpy weekend...

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 26, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Juan-John, no work done here this afternoon (got r done in the a.m.)

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

DE, I was wondering that, too. They had bobbleheads last night but what's the draw today?

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

not free cash, but "Summer Camp Day"....probably full of kids.

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Barry's Babe, that was a grounder to Belliard by what must have been an over-eager Nunez (TV watchers?), thrown out at first.

Wasn't Hendo at this game? Can't wait to hear his review...

AGN would be measured the following way
In a save situation
1 point for every runner on second + 2 points for every runner on third + 3 points for ever runner scored all divided by number of batters faced.

All that multiplied by 10 (because it makes it scarier)

Runners advancing from second, to third, to home get all 6 points. Chad gets a 15 for today. Which is a lot more than the 0 we want from a closer.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

ShawNatsFan, I think Flores was determined that the Nats would end up with a "W" today. Stick *that* in your humidor, Wendelstedt!!

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Sect. 506, yes, Hendo and some others were to be there. Will look forward to their reports.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"And really, is the sight of Big John Stud that much worse than Jimenez at the plate?"

Don't forget Rauch has something Jiminez doesn't - a MLB homerun. Against Clemens, no less.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Something to consider: had last night's game not gone into extra frames, Schneider would have started tonight, not "Floor Us, Flores." No homer? No curly W?

Which is not to say anything bad about Schneider, mind you.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Great AGN formula Sec. 506 (AM)

Someone needs to calculate Cordero's average AGN for the season. He's gotta be the leader (by far) of any closer with more than five save opps.

Posted by: DE | July 26, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Jesus is loose, Nats today don't need no excuse. A late inning win in Philly, makes me giddy and silly. So its on to New York for four, hoping many runs we score. Shutting down the New York nine, would certainly be devine. So while Hendo attended the Philly game, I thought I'd do this in his name. GO NATS ... STAY HOT

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 26, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Well done, SC!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"No homer? No curly W?"

Perhaps. But also perhaps better pitch calls that would have kept batters from getting hits, like the two run homer to Howard (who they held down admirably the previous two games, despite him sneaking one in when it really, really hurt last night). We'll never know and I'm not worried about finding out.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I almost forgot: take that, '62 Mets!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Wendelstadt = Little League Umpire

Hit two batters and the pitcher has to leave the game. But wait, I thought the LL rule was three batters. Let's see him throw out Clemmens for hitting batters.

Posted by: Tom | July 26, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Nice one SC!

506 (AM) ... for AGN calculations I suggest that you also include numbers for walks. N for walking the leadoff N-x for walks with outs, N+x with outs and runners on, N+(2x) for walking the bases loaded, N+(3x) for walking in a run, etc.

Finally the W.

I had a conference call for the last 45 minutes. You guys kept me amused and informed :)

Posted by: i hate walks | July 26, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"Oh, I almost forgot: take that, '62 Mets!!"

I totally forgot! Congratulations Nats! Some sportswriters better start eating crow!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

So that's very cool ... Flores 3 run blast to win the game, win the series, avenge the wrongful termination of Lannam/Acta's day....

And if Lannam did throw at those guys in his major league debut (not that he did, but if he did) then I really, really like the guy. Not that it's right to throw at a guy, but you know, if ...

Posted by: NatBisquit | July 26, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

How difficult is it to spell my name?

L-A-N-N-A-N

Posted by: John Lannan | July 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

i hate walks, duly noted. And good job with the branding.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

From the AP write-up:

"Philadelphia led 5-2 before Washington rallied. Felipe Lopez hit a two-run, two-out single off J.C. Romero in the seventh, and Flores homered in the eighth off Mike Zagurski _ Romero's second of the season and first since July 1 off Pittsburgh's Paul Maholm."

I'm assuming the second Romero reference really should say Flores, right?

Posted by: Juan-John | July 26, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. I was only putting it out there as an interesting what-if.

I definitely prefer Schneider behind the plate (and the idea of him coaching after he retires is wonderful), but seeing Flores certainly makes me feel better about the future.

-----

We'll never know and I'm not worried about finding out.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 26, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"How difficult is it to spell my name?

L-A-N-N-A-N

Posted by: John Lannan | July 26, 2007 05:27 PM "

Sorry, kid,...we don't bother to learn our starting pitchers' names --- none of them manage to stay in the rotation long enough.

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | July 26, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Today's observations gleaned from a little radio listening and game day following:

1. Lannan performed about as we should expect. The scouting report Barry passed along made it sound like he projects as a 3rd or 4th starter on a good team. He's the kind of LHP who will make 30 starts, throw 170 - 180 innings, have a 4.50 ERA and go 13-10 on a pretty good team. Nothing wrong with that as long as he can stay healthy (see earlier posts regarding dreadful starting pitchers' training regimen.)I liked his moxie hanging in there after a difficult start.
2. MLB needs to discipline Hunter Wendelstadt for his performance today. It was circa 1990's arrogant. I think generally this type of thing is dealt with internally and behind the scenes, but he was ridiculous.
3. On a positive note it was good to see Manny show some fire. I haven't seen the video but I heard he got his money's worth. I also understand that Schneider came out of the dugout and got on the Phillie fans when they starting throwing things. That's the kind of thing that goes a long way toward leadership and team chemistry. No one wanted to see Lannan go through that in his debut, but those kinds of experiences help a team bond - especially when someone (Jesus) gets up and hits a 3 run HR to win the game.
4. Those who think Jesus ought to play more certainly look good today. I still think a platoon situation where he catches 35% mostly against LHP is the way to go.
5. Another great job by the bully today. I detected a lot of angst from all the Cordero haters out there. Your expectations for a closer are unrealistic. A lock down Eckersly/Rivera type comes along once every ten years. Look at it this way. If a closer has an ERA of 2.50 - very good BTW - he will give up a run every four appearances. That's about what Chad does. Pitchers give up runs and blow saves every once in a while. Here's what you don't get with The Chief that is a killer with a lot of closers. Chad does not lose his confidence. He's unflappable. When guys start pitching scared, they'll blow saves in bunches. That can destroy a team. Other than late in '05 when his arm was tired, Chad's never done that. That's crucial to building a winning atmosphere.

Let's go whip the Mets

Posted by: #4 | July 26, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

#4, Chief gives me heartburn but I'm not a hater of him or any of our players. Just sayin'...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 6:13 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies site is reporting that Utley's hand was broken when he was hit by the pitch.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

PHILADELPHIA -- Chase Utley broke his right hand during Thursday's 7-6 loss to the Nationals and was put on the 15-day DL immediately following the game. The incident took place with one out in the fifth inning, when Nationals starter John Lannan hit him with a pitch. Utley, however, remained in the game, striking out and flying out in his two subsequent at-bats.

Posted by: natsagain | July 26, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

... now look here, you guys. I go away for a couple of days, expecting to find the place in reasonable order when I get back, and what happens?!? Another starter gets injured; the team gets into an extra inning affair, and loses it; a rookie starts his first game and after he plunks a couple of guys, he gets tossed; Manny gets ejected for the first time in his MLB career; Dmitri gets near to signing a two-year, 10/12 $M deal; Chad gives a bunch of you bloggers another near-coronary; and Flores comes through in the clutch.

... could you not have waited til I got home before all this stuff hit the fan?

... anyhoo, it's good to back on the keyboard again. Just have one question of you guys: does anyone know if J. Lannan is up with the big boys for more than this one start??

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 26, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

Can we get an update on this "close to being done" deal with the Hook getting 2 years for $10-12 million, with an option for year 3? Thats what I have heard thus far, I guess Bowden is getting nothing he wants on trading block.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 26, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Natscan - Welcome back - see what happens when you're not paying attention! Don't see how they can keep Lannan on the roster. It's an understatement to say the bullpen is overextended. Double header on Saturday, with a middle reliever (Traber) starting one of the games. Uncertain whether Bergmann can make his start on Sunday; if not, it's being said that Hanrahan would get the call. AND none of the starters has been extended past 100 pitches. At a minimum, Booker needs to be called back.

Posted by: natsagain | July 26, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, welcome back, natscan. We missed you!

We tried to keep things under control but, as you can see, they got a bit out of hand. Now that you're back, we'll try to get back on an even keel.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 26, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

No one likes to see a player get hurt but there is a little bit of poetic justice with Utley. I just saw the video feed a little while ago and he was literally hanging over the plate. If there was any remnant of the batter's box line - he was well across it. Howard not so much. But it led me to wonder how many times Utley has been hit this year.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 26, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Natsfanla -

You're right. "Hater" is too strong. Cordero skeptic?

Posted by: #4 | July 26, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Just back to the hutch after a rock-'em, sock-'em, tremendously fun afternoon at CBP.

SC Nats Fan, your verse cheers me.

129 posts! Like to hear some blog stats NOW.

Natscan, welcome back. Turn your back for just three days and...

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

While the rest of the blog puts in their orders for Thorazine and nitroglycerin pills, let's hand it to the Chief.

Nattily-battily
Closer Cordero has
Given foes' doors many
Victory slams.

In the ninth frame, the Phils,
Rallying futilely,
Come up like lions but
Go down like lambs.

Oh you Nats!

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

I hadn't kept up on Wendelstedt's history, so the first thought that coursed through my mind was that Wendelstedt was trying to protect Lannan and the Nats from what could have quickly become a much uglier situation. (The Philly fans I was chatting with -- only one really got in my face about it -- never appeared to notice that Manny got the hook too.)

My interpretation may be utterly bogus, but things did settle down, so I guess all's well that ends well. Thank goodness the bullpen held up.

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

>>As best as he can tell, Lannan is the fifth player to get tossed in his major league debut. The others:

05/03/1994 PHI Andy Carter Excessive wildness - hit 2 of 3 batters
05/20/1995 MIL Sid Roberson Throwing at batter after warning
07/08/1995 OAK Doug Johns Throwing at batter
06/20/1997 CIN Aaron Boone Threw helmet arguing called 3d strike<<

Then there is the (apocryphal?) story about the day both teams were riding the famous ump Bill Klem and he turned to the benches and announced that he would run everybody if he heard as much as "boo" from either dugout. A couple of innings later a rookie, unknown to Klem, walked to the plate as a pinch hitter. In fact, it was the rookie's first major league game. Klem asked the kid his name and the rookie replied "Boo."

Of course, Klem ran him. And thus did Everett Booe get ejected from his very first big league game -- BEFORE HIS FIRST MAJOR LEAGUE AT-BAT!

Posted by: amb141 | July 26, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

For 506 and others (and thanks for asking!), some Philly/CBP miscellany:

1. Gotta hand it to all the Philly teams for how they've built up the sportsplex at Broad and Pattison. Parking just could not be easier. Not to dismiss what's going on on South Capitol Street, BTW; you work with what you've got, and anyhow the situation isn't altogether settled there.

2. The Schmitter(R) sandwich is a winner. The beer situation is still random. I ended up with an Anchor Steam, which is OK. Not a big deal today, anyway, as the focus was on hydration; I consumed five 20-ounce bottles of water between leaving for CBP and getting back to the hutch.

3. Philly fans were cool. They have loyalty (dare I say allegiance?); they have attitude, based not a little on baseball smarts. I've been down on 'em in the past, mostly based on my experiences at RFK, and hereby apologize for hasty overgeneralization. (Or maybe they send their biggest malcontents on the road, but the apology stands.)

4. Let us pray that Nats Park turns out half as nice as CBP. (I have no reason to believe it won't be every bit as nice.) If so, we've got a winner.

5a. Speaking of hasty overgeneralization, I realized around the bottom of the first that I had left the car unlocked. (As it happened, I had also left the top unlatched.) In South Philly, this is no joke, and I was just a wee bit trepidant. Not to have worried; everything was fine.

5b. But do lock up. And not just in South Philly.

6. The Phillies have a good young team, and for once they seem to have both the talent and the fans in their favor. Kudos to GM Pat Gillick, whose old-school mentality I have viewed at times in the past with a jaundiced eye. His single best move IMO was unloading Abreu and Lidle (the latter tragically taken from MLB too soon) and letting the kids play.

7. Charlie Manuel appears to be on a short leash, at least in his current role. I have no reason to believe that the Phillies, if they discharged him as field manager, wouldn't kick him upstairs or retain him in some other capacity. But if he ever does come into play, he'd be a worthy addition to the Nats' leadership, either upstairs or downstairs.

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't rejoice in a player getting hurt, especially one with such a promising career.

But couldn't it have been on Tuesday?

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

#4, Hendo, thanks for the wrap-ups. They both are insightful, amusing, and well-written, as we've come to expect.

You know, if Chad were traded, I would miss him. But he still kills me every time he comes in.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 26, 2007 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Hi Hendo,

... great to be home, and to read your dulcet-y dactyls all over my pixel-screen again.

... you wrote: "Kudos to GM Pat Gillick, whose old-school mentality I have viewed at times in the past with a jaundiced eye."

... my first querie is to ask 'why the jaundiced eye?', and then to add that Pat Gillick was the GM who built, then led the Blue Jays, a team of another (national) colour, to not one but two WS champeenships.

... I know I have quite a penchant for dragging nationality into things, and if this doesn't make the 'rational' cut, I apologize. But there were quite a number of sports media, radio talk-show voices up this way speaking publicly and loudly back when the Jays won it all, that it was accomplished in direct opposition to the wishes of MLB, who simply couldn't accept a World Series champ from outside the borders of the USA.

... if that's true, then Pat Gillick accomplished more than simply constructing a winning team. I for one, wish he were in Jim Bowden's place.

Posted by: natscan reduxit (back and ready to stir the pot) | July 26, 2007 9:59 PM | Report abuse

506, thanks for the props.

You too, Natscan. BTW, I had and have no issue with T.O. getting the prize, although my nods go as much to Cito Gaston as to Gillick. If anything, I root for the further internationalization (we engineering propeller heads spell it I18N) of baseball, and hope to see other non-US teams in October some year soon.

My main beef with Gillick was his squawks about Billy Beane -- not, to be sure, that Gillick was alone -- when "Moneyball" came out. Like many baseball executives at the time, Gillick likely hadn't read the book -- at least, so I am impelled to guess from his seemingly uninformed reaction -- and that tarnished, in my eyes at least, his theretofore well-earned reputation.

However, I suspect he's read the book now. Anyway, attitudes take time to change, and it takes even longer to admit that they've changed. That's the way we're built.

Off-topic, we just gotta try to get you to RFK for 9/23. I just linked to Travelocity and saw some two-night packages, including YFC-WAS flights and hotel, in the neighborhood of US$450 per person. Can't we get you to at least consider biting? (BTW, Wigi is a travel agent. Might we enlist his help?)

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Without going into all the details, I was driving home from fishing when the game started (seven pound sockeye salmon, that's what's for dinner at Wigi's house)... So I deleted my final score emails, and watched the archive this afternoon from MLB.TV... as I was getting ready to watch the game, my spidey senses were tingling, so I knew something was up, but I successfully stayed away from the blog, and away from the final score... though MLB.TV has one flaw... when you're watching the archived game, it will hide the line score from you... but it gives you the option of clicking on game highlights, titled: "Lopez's two-run single" and "Flores' three-run homer"... idiots... (Also, "Lannan's come-backer" and "Lannan's Ejection")

RE: Dmitri - If there's a contract, then my prediction comes true... either trade him, or get an extension right away...

By the way, remember that back in March, we were all wondering how bad it would be if Dmitri was playing first all season... We're wondering that about left field for next year, now... but I might trade an extra defensive base every couple or three games for an extra offensive hit every couple games.

I guess that makes Church the new trade bait... and I bet they could get more for Church than Dmitri, just because of age and upside. My prediction: part of a blockbuster package for a stud CF. There are suddenly lots of expendable parts, with Dmitri signed to a contract (this also means you better get your Nook Logan autograph pretty soon).

RE: Hendo's take on Lannan's ejection - Interesting and charitable interpretation.

Regarding my professional activities, it may be a violation of the terms of usage of the blog for me to discuss them here (I didn't read it for that particular clause).

Posted by: Wigi | July 26, 2007 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Closing it down at the hutch with one more CBP observation:

Philly has no Clint. This is not a loss. For starters, they have the Phanatic, who is a hoot (and whom Screech will never equal).

But they are also all into the music thing, starting appropriately with TSOP and proceeding delightfully -- at least, to this 70s-stuck soul -- from there, including "Disco Inferno" at an appropriate time somewhere in the early innings. (There are sponsorships in the lower left-hand corner of the Jumbotron, so let's hear no bellyaching about how the music would be paid for.)

We can do better than we are now, both at RFK and at Nats Park. We must. To aspire to less would be unforgivably lame.

Posted by: Hendo | July 26, 2007 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Wigi, I agree with your caution. We are not here to compete with the Post classifieds. (For one thing, we'd risk putting Linda Richman, or whoever that woman in the commercials is, out of a job.)

If Natscan Googles your name, whatever you guys do offline can stay offline.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

#4, I'm a fan of all our players, and I have no desire to participate in a fan labeling effort.

---

Natsfanla -

You're right. "Hater" is too strong. Cordero skeptic?

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Good Friday morning. I slept much better last night.

I direct everyone's attention to the MLB.com web site where you can watch the Phillies TV feed of Jesus's game wining HR yesterday. I have to admit that it's fun listening to the dulcet and depressed tones of Harry Calas call the play.

From reading the $.35 edition this morning:

It's a shame that Chase Utley broke his hand. I don't wish injury on anyone, including a hated Phillie rival. However, Hunter Wendelstedt's reasoning that "I can't read his (Lannan's) mind. I have to throw him out there" does not cut it. There has to be some latitude for common sense and reacting to the situation. I also think the new bean ball rules have caused us to lose too much of the positive aspects of player policing that used to go on routinely in the big leagues. There is no place for the posturing that goes on after a player hits a HR or a pitcher registers a big K. It's poor sportsmanship. What used to happen is that if a player did that, he'd have a ball stuck in his ribs in the next appropriate AB. I know it may seem barbaric to some, but I for one thought it was good overall for the game. We shouldn't go back to the bean ball war days of the 70's/80's either but there has got to some balance here.

Great piece, Barry, about Jesus Flores' work ethic paying off. He seems like such a quality guy. He's growing on me by the minute.

The gloom surrounding Nick Johnson was palpable in the Dimitri article. I'm afraid that the Meat signing is less a sign that Church is gone and more a sign that NJ is done. I would like to see the Meat get down to about 225 lbs. regardless. I'd still trade Church this week and let Brandon Watson play in LF for the rest of the season.

It seems like Hanrahan will start the nightcap on tomorrow. What's the roster move there? Does Lannan go back down? Bergman to the 15 day DL? I'd vote for the latter.

I hate to beat the dead horse on pitcher injuries, but did anyone else notice that Brad Penny of the Dodgers pulled a groin beating out an infield hit last night? We have yet another example of pitchers being babied and consequently being unable to be athletes.

Lastly, even though I'm a life long Oriole hater, I loved the piece on Ernie Tyler this morning. What a class move by Cal to invite him to the induction. When I was a youngster and there was no baseball in DC, my buddy and I used to go to Memorial Stadium about 5-10 times a year to see MLB games and root against the O's. We used to get the biggest kick out of Ernie Tyler's hustle as he moved around behind home plate retrieving foul balls and re-supplying blue with new pearls. In all our years going up there, we never saw Ernie drop one foul ball as it rolled down off the net behind home plate.

Thanks for kind words, 506. I've just been a part of this Nats Journal community for a couple weeks now. I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying reading everyone's thoughts on the Nats and other baseball related stuff. My only beef is that I only know about this site because my buddy clued me in. The Post needs to print a daily blurb next to Barry's gamers, and we need to get on that T-shirt idea. The more the merrier.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 8:20 AM | Report abuse

On the farm yesterday:

AAA: Columbus

Balester W - 6 good innings with 5 K's

Watson - 4 for 5

A:Vermont

Alaniz W - 6 good innings w/ERA below 1.00

(The Hit Dr.) Seuss - 2 hits and a HR

All good to see

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 9:30 AM | Report abuse

There is a link to Nats Journal in the sidebar next to the notebook and gamer.

If you are younger than I am, you might not need an electron microscope to see it.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

And this year's award for lamest excuse for a blown call by an official (all sports), goes to Hunter Wendlestedt. Why did he eject a rookie pitcher in one run game for hitting a batter? Explained Wendlestedt: "I just got kind of a vibe". Maybe that wasn't a vibe, Hunty. Maybe it was the 8th hot dog you scarfed before the game coming back up on you.

On the same track: Jesus Flores had a little bit of a confrontation with an ump earlier in the year, who thought Jesus was framing the pitches too long and showing him up -- I wonder if that gets around, and the rest of the umps give him a hard time on balls/strikes? Some of the calls that Lannan didn't get earlier in the game were very clearly strikes.

Posted by: joebleux | July 27, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I enjoyed reading the gamer in today's paper, especially the rather poignant (to me, anyway) first line. Also, re. the story's last line, I hadn't thought of Manny and Lannan celebrating in the clubhouse together, but in a way I'm glad that Manny was there with Lannan after his ejection so that the young pitcher didn't have to sit there by himself for the rest of the game.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

joebleux, I agree that Wendlestedt was squeezing Lannan. Wendlestedt was terrible all game long. If I remember correctly, his dad had an umpire school in Florida during the offseason. I wonder if the son ever attended and if he paid attention during those lessons about ejections...
My real question is about Dmitri's new contract. I was in the "trade him" camp but I'm starting to think he's not staying because of his play, he's staying because they don't think Nick Johnson's coming back. There is no way one of those guys can play LF, none. Maybe they'll wait until the winter, reevaluate and trade one of them then.

Posted by: GEVA | July 27, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Natsfan1a said:
"
"

I thought that too. I thought that would be an interesting life long memory for both of them. As Barry said, "Crazy."

(Patsy Cline also said it, but that was a diff'rent thread.)

Posted by: i hate walks | July 27, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

I was at Burger King when it all happened, so I know how you feel.

Welcome back.

-----

... could you not have waited til I got home before all this stuff hit the fan?

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 27, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I was at Burger King when it all happened, so I know how you feel.

Welcome back.

-----

... could you not have waited til I got home before all this stuff hit the fan?

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 27, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post. Submit button, man.

Great posts, can't respond to them all. But it appears the Nats went from heartbreaking to hand-breaking in just 13 hours?

Good theory on the Wendelstedt call, Hendo. I really wanted to believe it, too. Unfortunately, it turns out it was just a "bad vibe." It was nothing like the Carter situation in 1994, where both teams were coming off a benches-clearing brawl the game before. It wasn't even the "Boo" situation (great story, amb141).

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 27, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

joebleux calls out an ump (not by name) "who thought Jesus [Flores] was framing the pitches too long . . ."

Meaning taking too long to settle his mitt, or what? I suppose that could get annoying, but if it's really an issue, why not warn or eject the catcher?

Picking up the pace is well and good. I applaud the practice. (For one thing, I suspect it saves pitchers' arms. I'll talk about that again later, in the context of rigid pitch counts. You can probably sense where I'll be going with that.)

Shrinking the strike zone to avoid dealing with issues is a time-honored umpirical practice. And it is gutless. And it needs to be disciplined swiftly by Park Avenue. Which, of course, ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Barry, the blog is still not listed on the drop-down menu of the front page of WashingtonPost.com. #4, I think I first found Nationals Journal by accident, and then had trouble finding it again until I finally bookmarked it. I know several ways to find it now, but for more new readers and writers it should be mentioned and cited repeatedly in as many locations as possible.

Posted by: Traveler | July 27, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Hendo: framing is when the catcher holds the ball in position after catching it, to demonstrate to the ump that the pitch was a strike. Usually it's just for a split second, and it's a hint from the catcher to the ump that says, "hey, I thought that was a strike -- look where my glove is".

When catcher holds for longer than a second, the ump tends to take this as "showing up the ump" -- like the catcher's saying to the whole stadium, "look where my glove is, and the idiot ump called it a ball".

Anyway, umps have very little patience with rookie catchers who are perceived to be showing them up.

Posted by: joebleux | July 27, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Wow, it just gets weirder.

Bill Klem, he of Booe ejection fame (see above), called balls and strikes for five no-hitters.

That's an NL record, matched only by...

...Harry Wendelstedt, the Baltimore-born father of Hunter Wendelstedt.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

joebleux -

Do you have any more details of the "Jesus, framing too long story?" If he was doing that, it is a quick way to an ump's dog house. Who was the umpire? Did you see it enough to judge whether Jesus was guilty or was it an umpire being a jerk? I agree that a warning would be more appropriate in that situation, but umps usually choose to squeeze the pitcher to make their point. t gives them a sense of power.

Hendo -

I'd love to hear your take on pitch counts, pace of play, and the health of pitcher's arms. My sense is that you and I share some similar feelings on it.

Natsfanla -

I didn't mean to "label" anyone. Sorry if you took offense.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

new thread by Barry! Great topic to think about today: Jesus!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 27, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

What an interesting week its been off the field. The two players thought to have been pawns for trades turn out to be pieces of the puzzle...who knew? I'm happy for both of them. What I'm not so happy about is the possible non-future of NJ. While it's starting to appear he won't return this year, it didn't hurt Guzman to miss a whole year, did it? So, I guess there is hope. Should Dmitri lose the 20 and move to left, Guz return to short and NJ to first next year, it might not be all bad. Now, the next question is do you move Lopez back to second and sit Belliard on the bench?? I don't know how the rest of you feel, but I kind of like RB playing everyday. Could it be that Church and Lopez are both traded? Lots of questions yet to be answered aren't there. Austin Kearns...how much more time do they give him to wake up. Perhaps the new park will help him get back on track. Centerfield is still a question mark, but hopefully they'll toss some FA$$$ at it and solve that over the winter. Funny, pitching seems to be on the back burner now. So, it appears the future might not be now, but it's certainly at least next.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 27, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

#4, I'm with you on the framing thing. And I'll try to pick an appropriate topic (and a slow day, but it feels like they're getting faster) to rail about pace and pitch counts.

Dogbert must have stopped by my client's office this week to give a clinic. They are misfiring on all cylinders. I'll see you all sometime, but I know not when.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

#4, thanks for that. I misinterpreted, then.

---

I didn't mean to "label" anyone. Sorry if you took offense.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

GEVA, re. the Wendelstedt umpiring school:

Be afraid, be very afraid...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

According to Honus Wagner, Everett Booe the rookie, was ALMOST run by Bill Klem until Manager Fred Clarke came out with the scorecard and proved that Booe was his real name.

Here at Nats Journal we try not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Posted by: Medium-sized Mac | July 27, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd send Flores to Columbus to play for at least one entire year. He'll benefit from the experience and get to know some of the young pitchers as they move through. While not a great hitter, Schneider's value as a handler of pitchers will be important, especially as it appears that Bowden patchwork pitching staffs will be a continuing feature over the next 1-2 years.

Posted by: Richard | July 27, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Re Booe, thanks for the clarification, M-sM.

But amb141 still earned a Svrlugy for best post of the night.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse