Lineup from Shea

Not much new. Conspiracy theory: Nats will announce Dmitri signing on Monday's off day. Just a thought.

Washington:
Lopez -- 6
Belliard -- 4
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Church -- 7
Kearns -- 9
Schneider -- 2
Logan -- 8
Bacsik -- 1

Do y'all like getting the lineups early? They don't seem to change much.

I'll add the Mets when I get it.

Also: Nationals' original release was wrong in saying Bergmann last pitched June 25. It was June 24.

Billy Traber now jogging around the perimeter of the field at Shea. He was supposed to be a star here once, if you recall. Nationals have three players -- Alex Escobar, Mike Bacsik and Traber -- who were involved in the Roberto Alomor trade from Cleveland to the Mets all those years ago. Strange.

By Barry Svrluga  |  July 27, 2007; 3:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The future of Flores and Schneider -- and Bergmann to the D.L.
Next: Off to Cooperstown. Please hold down the fort.

Comments

Love the early lineups.

Posted by: Larry | July 27, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Love the early lineups.

Posted by: Larry | July 27, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Love the early lineups.

Posted by: Not Larry | July 27, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

From last thread:

Re: Speigner in the pen

My recollection was that he was not particularly special in the pen. Here's some stats:

3.86 ERA (1-0) in 12 appearances, 6 runs on 14 hits, 6 strikeouts and 12 walks.

BUT, this doesn't include inherited runners scored, as Hendo often points out. In particular, I remember a Sunday game against the Chicago Cubs that is listed in Speigner's game log as a 0 runs allowed appearance where he walked home at least one runner (maybe two).

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 27, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

posted in earlier thread:

Section 506 asks "Anyone with a better stats program access care to let us know how many inherited runners Speigner let score?"

Looks like he inherited 15 runners and 7 scored.

Saul Rivera: Inherited 31, 9 have scored

Ray King: 23/5

Billy Traber: 16/10!

Posted by: e | July 27, 2007 03:45 PM

Posted by: e | July 27, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

e:

wow.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 27, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, e! I knew I wasn't just making up those inherited runners coming in to score... Yes, I think I've seen all those Traber come-arounds.

I'm curious how many of these came during the bullpen's league-leading ERA in July? And, to be fair, these stats are all inherited runners, not just those inherited from the starter.

Another point, Ray King will often come in for 1-2 batters, so that will lower his rate vs those who typically close out the innings

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 27, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Barry, I assume you mean July 24, not June 24, re: Bergmann.

Posted by: Ashburn | July 27, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Early lineups rock!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

"I remember a Sunday game against the Chicago Cubs that is listed in Speigner's game log as a 0 runs allowed appearance where he walked home at least one runner (maybe two)."

I was at the game and I'm pretty sure it was two runs. As I recall he came in w/ the bases loaded, walked in two then ended the inning. It also had either Lopez or Zimmerman sending a ball about 4 rows back on a throw to first.

Posted by: mrm0to | July 27, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

My flight is delayed so I'm ready to take the heat for doubting Young.

Besides Bowden signing Young and Johnson getting a steroid shot in his hip, exactly what is everyone basing their "Johnson is Done" on?

The last statement from Bowden on it was as I recall that he had another player at Cinci (name anyone?) that had a similair injury in a bike accident and had the same hip problem, but then being 100% again the following year.

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

My flight is delayed so I'm ready to take the heat for doubting Young.

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, estuartj, even us Carnivores (Meat lovers) see the good sense in your statements about trading him. But we also see a lot of good sense in keeping him. Honestly, I don't think the Nats lose either way, but I think they win more by keeping him.

We certainly know they win more for the remainder of this season...

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 27, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

That's okay, estuartj, we left it in the last thread. It's a new one now, kinda like with ballgames!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Sect506: "Carnivores (Meat lovers)". Absolutely brilliant. Mark me down for a strip sirloin, medium well please?

Barry: ... as for the early line-ups, I think they are somewhat useful, and often-times interesting enough to launch discussions, but if they cause any undue or extra leg work on your part, I wouldn't miss them if you had to cease and desist on that front.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 27, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, they're not going to pay him (Dmitri) $5 million to sit on the bench... so he's gonna be in left, or at first, if Nick can't play...

I am sorta rooting for Bowden to make a splash here in the next few days... because he might find us our center fielder in a trade... in which case, we'd get to see more-or-less the 2008 Nats this summer. The chances of this, I think, are better, if the trade market is slow... in other words, by taking Dmitri off the market, the Nats become buyers, if they can get someone with at least another year on their contract.

Posted by: Wigi | July 27, 2007 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Wigi

I don't see how the Nats can truly be buyers. Exactly what do they have to sell? Church, Rauch, Cordero? All of them together probalby wouldn't get an impact CF.

As for Young, If the numbers are true on his contact he will be playing LF (unless Johnson is dead), even with the new statium revenue coming in the absolutely cannot afford to pay $20M+ for first base.

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

From what I remember reading several weeks ago, the idea of signing Dmitri now as opposed to the offseason was to give him enough of a fair warning/head start on losing 20+ lbs in order to play left field next year. Looks to me like Bowden is planning on having both Nick and DY in the lineup next year. Of course, with him, who knows.

Posted by: Matt | July 27, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Just got in from a quick nine at East Po. For all you golfers out there, do not go to East Potomac again this summer. Somebody mixed herbicide with the seed when they were redoing the greens. It is now like putting on linoleum.

Although it's happening because of injury, I'm glad that we'll see both Lannan AND Hanrahan up close this week. Barry, you asked us to roll the week end rotation around in our head for a while. I have. Frankly, it's no worse than it's been all year and we're getting a chance to see the future.

Transaction nerd, thanks for getting the details on last year's trade. The more I think about it as I see it on paper, the more it seems to have been a mistake. I'd forgotten about Daryl Thompson and Royce Clayton. Both as short and long term pieces, I'd prefer them over what we got. We gave up young long term pitching for overvalued hitting. I don't think that's ever smart.

As far as the early line-ups go, I'm with whoever said that they're nice, but if they're a pain to do, I won't miss them dearly.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

#4 opines, "he more I think about it as I see it on paper, the more it seems to have been a mistake... We gave up young long term pitching for overvalued hitting. I don't think that's ever smart."

You say some the more provocative things on the blog, thanks for joining us. The lurkers should be inspired.

Can't agree with you on this statement. Majewski was fun, but I think he's not as good as Colome or Rivera and certainly not Rauch or Wagner (may he heal soon). For position players, we're at least equal to where we were and Kearns and Lopez have more years to improve than Clayton does.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 27, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

The problem with Young that I keep coming back to is IF he is playing LF next year then the improvement batting wise for the team is Johnson over Church.

Will Young produce the numbers next year that you expect from a left fielder? By signing him it means we don't get a Dunn (or someone better, I only use Dunn as an example since Bowden is SOOOO enamoured with anyone he worked with as a Red).

If we do have Johnson and Young in the lineup next year where do we look to improve the batting and run production? Upgrades at SS (Guzman back) 2B (Belliard vs Lopez) and CF (Watson or TBD Free Agent Signee).

Are these guys enough to get the Nats to .500 next year?

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 6:19 PM | Report abuse

506 (AM) -

Thanks for accepting me into the community. I'm sort of like the loud mouth brother-in-law.

I just look at it as a "pieces to the championship puzzle" question. If you list all the players in the deal, I think there were three or maybe four players in the trade that have a shot to be that. Three went to Cincy (Majewski, Bray, Thompson), one came to DC (Wagner). I agree with your assessment of Majewski. He's in the Colome/Rivera front end of the bullpen mold, not a Rauch or Cordero. Those guys are important though. I just think that Lopez and Kearns will end up not being worth much.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Do y'all like getting the lineups early? They don't seem to change much."

Sure do, especially when the Nats are at home. Nice to get that stuff into my scorebook before I leave for the game.

But I'm with #4. If other duties call on Barry, and he skips the lineups, I'll get by.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

estuartj: I am not saying they will necessarily be able to make a trade, but that their perspective has changed. If the trade market coming up to the deadline is slow, it gives the ostensible sellers (of which the Nats are one) a reason to talk to each other and get a deal done... and sellers have more interesting things out there than the buyers... The Nats are now looking for an every day center fielder (who can play NOW), and they've pretty much declared that Church, Logan and Langerhans are all available. This is different than being in the market for prospects... which they are... but they've pretty much taken themselves out of that market by taking their big ticket items off the table.

I think if you see a trade, a lot of people are not going to like it (cause they'll end up giving up a kid prospect for a name) but I think that when you look at the alternative of spending outlandish money in December on free agents, that the Nats might find it more palatable.

Think of where the Nats were two years ago when Bowden was pursuing Soriano. That deal TODAY would make perfect sense. That's the kind of thing that I see happening now.

Posted by: Wigi | July 27, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Wigi

I was thinking the same thing the other night, what we need for next year...is Soriano!

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

One interesting guy who becomes a free agent after 2008 - fitting estuartj's profile - is Carl Crawford.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I'll add to Sect. 506's welcome, #4. We have plenty of room for in-laws and outlaws here, as it were. By the way, is that a jersey number, a position number, or a batting order number, if I may ask, or none of the above?

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

#4

Can Carl Crawford play CF? His OPS is good .880 or something. Tons of SB, few CS...sounds like a good fit.

Greatest thing about being in the bottom 15 is you don't have to worry about losing your top draft choice when you sign a free agent. Which is why we got Smoker with a sandwich pick instead of picking #5 when we lost Soriano...

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Church for Pie...

The Cubs just sent him down...

Not the impact player, though he was impressive early in the season.

Posted by: Wigi | July 27, 2007 7:14 PM | Report abuse

It's a uniform number.

Carl Crawford is a great defensive CF.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Correction.

Carl Crawford's OPS is .782, but he's stolen 32 bases and only been caught 8 times.

.290/.341/.441 (avg/obp/slg, is that the right order anyone?)

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

OK it's game on boys...

Does anyone remember Lastings Milledge being "off limits" for trades with the Mets last year.

Guess everyone makes mistakes...

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Triple doubles in the 2nd! Meat, Church, Schneider - I take it all back, you guys are great!

Posted by: estuartj | July 27, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

#4: Welcome aboard, Larry Biittner, ex-Senator and ex-'Spo.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

I would just like to say, for all you Church haters out there, that MLB.COM's real-time updated stats has Church batting .261, while Zimmerman is .258....

Posted by: SF Fan | July 27, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Church goes yard on friday!

I have to agree with others: welcome #4. I like your analysis and like how you contribute both analysis and commentary (and recognize there is a difference between the two!)

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 27, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Department of self-help:

Mike Bascik may have had tonight's two best at-bats, judging by number of pitches taken.

Not bad judging by results, either, with a base on balls and a base hit.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

[RF], I misspelled Bacsik's name again.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

... good game underway tonight. It always seems to hold true that when some guy gets himself strongly mentioned as tradeable, he steps it up in the next game. Ryan Church is clearly on the trade block presently. And as much as I just can't see Mike Bacsik as part of the Nats' long term pitching rotation, he is doing a really great job tonight showing just how steady he can be. Maybe other teams are watching??? And finally ... for now anyway ... it is always a good thing when the bottom half of the line-up gets the bats going at once. Keep it up guys, it looks good on ya'.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 27, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

estuartj: Yep, you got the slash stats right.

I'm still all "hmm..." on Milledge.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Very elegant job by Knight showing up Carpenter's mis-whining about da Meat's double (mis-called an out by the 2B ump and Carp).

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

... way to go, Austin. Keep it up; you'll soon be one of the guys to hang onto.

... I agree with ShawNatsFan that on this blog, we have analysts, commentators, and general community builders. Actually each of us adds our voice in all three ways ... at various times, but each one of us has our specialties.

... so I want to add my welcome to all the new bloggers/posters whose names I've recently recognized - #4, estuartj, Matt and others. We all have an voice to be heard around here. As far as the hits for the blog, I have a hard time getting excited about that; I'm happy with the way it goes now. But I realize that the number of hits the blog gets is directly proportional to its viability. So welcome and let's keep blogging.

... after I noted Bacsik's success tonight in my earlier post, I thought that it would also be appropriate to note that Brian Schneider is also doing an admirable job at calling this game.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 27, 2007 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Please, Manny, let Ayala go the ninth. We are so gonna need the Chief the rest of this weekend.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Natscan issues props: "I thought that it would also be appropriate to note that Brian Schneider is also doing an admirable job at calling this game."

For sure. He's hitting the ball on the screws, too. Awesome work, Schneid.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

So, is anyone else surprised the Mets are swinging at so many first pitches and second pitches? Seems to me like a poor strategy, considering the tattered Nats bullpen and the doubleheader tomorrow. Especially with Bascik pitching, who isn't going to blow anyone away (great job tonight, Mike!).

If I were the Mets, I'd be thinking take 1 strike on nearly every at bat to build up the pitch count and break into the bullpen for the weekend. No one's gonna get blown away with 1 or 2 strikes. Although I can imagine a lot of Mets salivating with 84 mph fastballs. It seems just part of having a strategy, rather than hacking, to me...

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 27, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

nice - ayala in the ninth. quick, please! sweet 1 pitch, 1 out.

save the bullpen! save the bullpen!
Hopefully Church and Kearns will build off their shots tonight!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 27, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

ShawNatsFan, re putrid at-bats by the Mets, you have nailed it.

Willie Randolph is a skipper I like, but he and HoJo need to give their hitters a talking to.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Jesus saves!!! and by Jesus saves I mean Church saves... its the same thing right? Sort of...

Anyway, Go Nats!!! Time to start playing spoiler!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 27, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

... a very good win: winning the first game of the series; winning on the road; winning against the division leader. I'd have liked to have seen Mike B get a complete game but I realize Manny made the best decision to replace him with Ayala.

... all in all, a good result to a great game.

Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 27, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Another worthy outing by rubber-armed Mike Bacsik, whom we gotta keep under a curly W at least for the balance of this season.

Note the time of the game, 2:34. This with eight runs scored. Bacsik works quickly, though the Mets' poor at-bats didn't help 'em much.

Zimm strings some defensive pearls, Kearns goes yard, and Schneider pours it on. Good Nats at-bats chew up the Mets' staff, which we desperately needed to do going into the weekend marathon.

My prediction is that Ryan Church, whose ability and desire have come into question on this blog and elsewhere, will end up having himself a nice little year. Tonight he atones for early-week misadventures. To everything there is a season:

Nattily-battily
Ryan M. Church posts on
Washington's linescore a
Couple of chits.

That pair of RBIs
Ecclesiastically
Shows us that there is a
Time for good hits.

Oh you Nats!

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

And another thing: the Nats play the Mets really tough. They've had great outings against Peavy, Santana, Smoltz, and others, and then they get killed by the Marlins regularly and the Rockies until last week.

What is it? Good teams not taking the Nats seriously? Stepping up to competition? There's just some strange matchups that work in our favor and others that don't. The question remains - what's going to be the story with the Phillies? Has the makings to become a great rivalry!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 27, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Bascikly...this game was easy.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 27, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

ShawNatsFan,

Im not sure its just that they don't take us seriously. But look at this year from an NL East perspective, we have consistently played teams in our division tougher than all other comers. I'm not sure about right now, but I know that at the beginning of the year we were atop our division when facing them. Check it out. It seems like a pattern.

Anyway, we still rock pretty hard.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | July 27, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Not only were there some timely hits and some power shots to boot, the leather was thrown around pretty well tonight, mixed in with clutch pitching. It all added up to a very nice bus ride back to hotel Nats. One down and three to go for a swe....no I better not say it.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | July 27, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Very nice again Hendo - "ecclesiastically"
We might have to hang onto to Church just so our Jesuses will feel at home.

Alright - let's at least get a split tomorrow.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 27, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

So Barry, just what were Church and Logan saying to each other as they were converging on that fly ball (can't remember which inning)? It didn't look like happy talk...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 27, 2007 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Aw, shucks, lowcountry... a good or bad pun's all in a day's poetic work. (And, double-dactyl fan(s), there were two oddities in yesterday's tribute to the Chief. Go look for 'em.)

natsfan1a, it didn't look like happy talk to me either. Carpenter and Knight debated the issue, though they didn't settle anything as far as I could tell. But I think Churchy's working extra hard after he and Lang stank out CBP the other night.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Say it SC; say it. Let's go for the sweep. None of this splitting stuff tomorrow.

You gotta like this win.

1. Bacsik continues to amaze. Someone already mentioned his pace of work. He is a testament to old time pitching. Work quickly; hold runners; throw strikes; field your position. A lot of ball games can be won that way. The pitchers almost got in under 100 pitches (102). That almost never happens nowadays.Great move by Manny giving Luis a two inning stint tonight. Whether he threw one or two innings, he'd probably be useless tomorrow anyway. If he threw tomorrow, it would have been 4 out of 5 days, and he's still bouncing back from arm issues. They wouldn't do that with him. You might as well let him finish when he's painting the corners like that. Now everyone except him is available for the probable 7-8 innings of relief work they'll need tomorrow.

2. Let's hear it for Kearns and Church. I've been burying them so badly; I've got to give them their props when they're due. Also, is it just me or is Nook starting to show a little life offensively? Maybe he's getting used to the righty v righty match ups finally? He or Watson could make a useful 4th outfielder next year. They can run and play defense.

3. That DP that Zim and Ronnie turned early in the game was sick. I think Lo Duca was safe, but it doesn't matter what I think. Blue called him out.

4. Zim's hit in the 8th off Hielman - who's nasty by the way - was encouraging. He kept his hands inside the ball and took a tough sinker breaking down and in to CF. When he's swinging like that, he's at his best. Have the Nats ever scored a run off Hielman?

5. Love the Larry Biittner reference, Hendo. I haven't heard that name in a while. I was partial to Del Unser though. That's who I pretended to be when my dad was hitting me fungoes.

6. Some of you expressed welcome to me. Thank you. I say again how much I'm enjoying this. This group is a good mix of analysis, good natured arguing, and old fashioned booterism. Good stuff.

7. Those of you who post during games, I envy you. I'm too intense to bang away at the computer.

8. Lastly, I head to the dark side of the moon for a few days. I will miss this interaction. I look forward to catching up on everyone's thoughts when I return.

Posted by: #4 | July 27, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

#4: Biittner is just one of the many wonderful names that baseball has produced -- and of which the Nats have a few: Dmitri, Levale, Nook, Simontacchi, etc. I pegged on Biittner both because of the cool name and because his uniform number was 4.

Unser's number was 30 with the expansion Nats. He, too, is an ex-'Spo -- number 25 with them. And he was a Phil (#25) for a few seasons, here and there, and a pretty fair hitter with the '73 edition in particular.

Anyhow, #4, welcome aboard, again. And bring your friends. I suspect this blog is on the verge of exploding into an even more amazing discussion group than it already is.

Posted by: Hendo | July 27, 2007 11:52 PM | Report abuse

anybody else really enjoy my home run tonight?

Posted by: Ryan "Matt is and Idiot" Church | July 28, 2007 12:03 AM | Report abuse

So, the Church HR would've been off the wall in RFK right? Who knows what next year will be like at the new park?

And, part of me wonders which is more "legit"?

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | July 28, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Closing it down at the hutch with a comparison that fascinates me, and that I have to gnaw on some more:

Bacsik, as I've mentioned before, is a quick worker. I think this is why he can throw something in the neighborhood of 100 pitches without showing destructive effects.

He puts me in the mind of Livan Hernandez that way. Anyone else had that cross their mind?

To prime the discussion pump, let us recall that Livo could pour on the strikeouts; by contrast, Mike makes his fielders work. I'd love some more K's from Bacsik, but how much does it matter? (To prime the pump further, three words: Chien-Ming Wang. Another low-K guy, although he did fan 10 on June 17.)

BTW, I'm off to Ohio some time this weekend, to visit my Alzheimer's-afflicted Dad, so I may miss some or all of the rest of this series. Y'all keep the good vibes going now, hear?

See you Monday if not earlier. Oh you Nats!

Posted by: Hendo | July 28, 2007 1:00 AM | Report abuse

I see Ryan Church's mom is posting again.

Posted by: Matt | July 29, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse