Too quiet -- so let's turn to Toby Keith

Have talked to a few scouts and execs today, and I'm getting this sense that things aren't ready to explode. The Nationals scouts are all over the place -- scouting the minors and the majors, with some coming to Washington to discuss what they've seen. But will they pull off a deal? There doesn't seem to be any guarantee of that. Stan Kasten and Jim Bowden are, predictably, staying mum. I'm poking around on the Adam Dunn situation, too, but those I've talked to think it would be hard to pull off. They don't put anything past Bowden, though.

Also learned that Ken Rosenthal will be one of the guests on "Washington Post Live" today, so he and I will definitely talk some trade deadline stuff. I think he comes on in the second half of the show, and there's another Nationals segment as well.

Keep the t-shirt suggestions coming.

So someone asked who all went to the Toby Keith concert last night in Camden, N.J. (outside Philly). Austin Kearns was the ringleader for players, and Brian Schneider, Nick Johnson, Ryan Langerhans and Ryan Zimmerman followed along with him. Kearns has seen Keith a bunch, and has an in that got the guys backstage.

But from what I'm told, the most excited member of the Nationals to be on hand was none other than Manny Acta. This guy has some diverse musical taste. I did a story on him on his first day in uniform this spring in which we drove together from his home in St. Cloud, Fla., to Viera before sunrise. We got in the car, and there was merengue on the stereo. "That's just a coincidence," Acta was quick to point out. "You could've gotten in here and I might have country on, or oldies."

Acta and club p.r. guy Mark Rogoff had good seats close to the stage, and afterward, everyone got to go backstage and meet with Keith. I'm not a fan of that brand of country music, but any time you get to see a show up close like that is a thrill. (Moved up to the third row of the Drive-By Truckers last Friday at 9:30 Club. Tons of fun.)

Interesting the intensity of responses on Dunn. I'll likely talk to you from the train to Philly tomorrow. Tune in to "WPL" in a couple hours, though.

By Barry Svrluga  |  July 23, 2007; 2:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: An off day -- but not for Jim Bowden
Next: Belliard signs with Nats!

Comments

Jennx, I'm with you on the cringe factor of the Toby Keith love. I don't really want to know this about these boys.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm so happy to hear that Nick Johnson was able to make the concert! Did he run backstage per chance? Get back in the batting cage Nick. I'm sure you can listen to music there.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 23, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh man! Third row of the DBT show. How was it down there? Upstairs it seemed pretty packed and not quite as rowdy as I would have guessed from the one they ripped off some the greatest rocking hits.

Not a fan of Neff for Isbell right now but seems to be working for both parties. Excellent call of seeing DBT over Traber et al!

Posted by: Hoo | July 23, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

p.s. No offense Barry. It's still insider information that we all love about this blog.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Tell Austin to keep getting runs like this weekend or we'll put a boot in his lower right soft tissue extremity.

Courtesy of the Nats Journal Crew.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you guys on this one. Isn't Toby Keith the "boot up your ass" guy?

Someone please explain to me why I was more disappointed to see Nick Johnson there than any other player. It's just irrational.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 23, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Asked and answered. Thanks, 506.

It's the American way.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 23, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

T-shirt: "Svrluga's Nats Journal: How many consonants are in your blog?"

Dunn -- Could take it or leave it. Just don't give up any legit power arm pitching prospects.

I'd much rather see them dealing with the D'backs considering the embarrasment of young hitting riches they have. How about Chris Young in CF for the Nats? He'll be displaced by Justin Upton next season. Cordero for Young? Sign Eric Byrnes.

Next year's Opening Day lineup:

Young
Lopez
Byrnes
Johnson
Zimm
Kearns
Guzman
Schneider
Detwiler (wishful, I know)

Posted by: Ryan | July 23, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

T-shirt: "Svrluga's Nats Journal: How many consonants are in your blog?"

Next year's Opening Day lineup:

Young
Lopez
Byrnes
Johnson
Zimm
Kearns
Guzman
Schneider
Detwiler --wishful, I know

Posted by: Ryan | July 23, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, doubled up.

Posted by: Ryan | July 23, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Ryan: Detwiler on opening day isn't so wishful. He's on my GTR for Sept. 1 this year. Have you seen this guy's line so far? I'm getting giddy already. (say that three times fast).

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I had another idea for the tee shirt... more of a visual gag than a slogan...

imagine seven scrabble tiles:

"S V R L U G A"

and the caption: "'What the hell am I supposed to spell with these?' -- Nationals Journal"

Posted by: Wigi | July 23, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

... C&W 'music' (for want of a better word) and baseball players? It's a given, but it's not something I want to know.

... Wigi: your T-shirt idea is the best yet!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | July 23, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I second Wigi's t-shirt idea as the best.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 23, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

A musical interlude: as someone with eclectic musical tastes, I don't have a problem with our guys, Manny included, listening to some country music. I like the old-style country more than the newer, rock-influenced style, but I'm not above listening to either. So, as far as I'm concerned, our guys can listen to whatever they want to. ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

To Ryan and NatsNut...does it really matter what concert any of them go to? It's nice that you are all judgmental because some of the guys went to go see Toby Keith. I'm not the biggest fan either but they can go see whomever they want. Now go grow up.

Posted by: Chris | July 23, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The bigger question is whether Toby Keith will reciprocate by going to see the Nats play. It seems fair.

Posted by: Section 408 | July 23, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

He could do the anthem, or God Bless America.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Amen to Wigi's t-shirt idea! If I buy two do I get a double letter bonus?

My apologies to Nick Johnson. My fanaticism got the best of me.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | July 23, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Um Chris, check the previous posts cool guy -- I never said one thing about Toby Keith.

Apology accepted.

Posted by: Ryan | July 23, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

It's true, Ryan was not country bashin'

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

BARRY! What do we hear about the Nats interest in Detroit Tigers P Jair Jurrjens as a possible return for Cordero?

For anyone who is interested there is a good interview from Baseball America's Prospectus at the link here:

Posted by: Ryan | July 23, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Chris: many of us say silly, childish, downright obnoxious things but until now it hasn't gotten personal.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the bigger question: Maybe Toby Keith can play center and drive in runners in scoring position?

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

In other news, the team site says that more than 1,900 toys were collected during the Toys for Tots drive over the weekend, in addition to $11,550. Good work, Nats Fans, and thanks for the heads up on the collection, Barry!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, he looks to me like he may have a few taters in him! ;)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a: groan

;)

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, I know, but it was just sitting there like a hanging curve ball...

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Wigi: You nailed it, dude.

NatsNut, re getting personal: Now, now; we've seen some, um, spirited discussions in this forum in the past. I seem, for example, to recall a post a couple of months ago in which a blogger gently implied that I would need the aid of a crowbar and a doctor with a flashlight in order to walk straight. If that's as mean as the invective ever gets, life is pretty darn good.

As far as C&W goes, I guess I'm with Natscan, but it's a big world. (I also am confounded by Son Volt and most of the stuff at 9:30. Perhaps it's genes.)

Now play nice.

Posted by: Hendo | July 23, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: National Anthem & God Bless America.

The Nats Pack woman is just terrific in singing these songs. Anyone else agree?

Posted by: Ashburn | July 23, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Wigi's shirt is pretty funny. Can we just make it say "heck" instead of hell so that I can wear it around my 5 and 7 year old little siblings?

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hendo: okay dad.

Ashburn: Absolutely. Nat Pack woman can definitely belt a tune. She was awesome.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

No Dunn, please, even if he signs a long-term deal. Haven't we learned that those HR totals are inflated by the Great American Small Park?

Posted by: swanni | July 23, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Is she the one who sang God Bless America on Saturday? She sounded good, as did the fellow who sang the anthem (I wrote their names on my scorecard but don't have it handy).

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of hanging curve balls, Chris, dude, we know you're Toby Keith's mom.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of playing nice...in walks Swanni.

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Just looked at my scorecard and I had it backa**wards as usual (now where'd I put my crowbar??). Angela Calo sang God Bless America and Ken Thomas did the anthem that day.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up, Chris. They are public figures and I don't think it is unfair to critique their taste in music.

Toby Keith is a horrible "artist". His songs are saccharine drivel.

On the other end of the spectrum, I would probably have gone out and purchased season tickets for next year if I heard they had attended the DBT show.

Please add some concert reviews into your Journal, Barry. You clearly have good taste in music.

Posted by: Mr. 300* | July 23, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Barry, age 18, to Mr. Svrluga: Dad, I'm going to college to be a journalist.

Mr. Svrluga: A journalist? Whatever for?

Barry, age 18: So one day, my name will be on a t-shirt.

Posted by: John in Mpls | July 23, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Nationals Journal: Music, Food, and Sometimes Baseball

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Love the Nat Pack girl singing. Best so far this year. Her name was Jessica something, I think. She sang Saturday. She should get another opportunity soon.

Another Nat Pack girl (the thin brunette who always is with Clint when he models the personalized jerseys) has one heck of an arm. She can heave a T shirt into the 300 level from the top of the dugout.

Posted by: Ray | July 23, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

LOL! I think this is my favorite.

____

Nationals Journal: Music, Food, and Sometimes Baseball

Posted by: NatsNut | July 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Ok ... straying from the original topic even more (because my opinion on Toby Keith isn't any more relevant than Austin Kearns' opinion of the Beastie Boys)..

...there's a guy who frequently sings the anthem at RFK named D.C. Washington. That's a joke, right? He sings well, but just keep wondering what his mother must've been thinking!

Posted by: i hate walks | July 23, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

"...there's a guy who frequently sings the anthem at RFK named D.C. Washington."

That is the awesomest thing I have heard today. His mother is not out of her mind, she is comic-gold. You realize, of course, every time he would fill out a doctor's form or license registration, or anything formal he would be: "Washington, D.C."

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

The "thin brunette" from the Nat Pack is a babe. I think Clint has made his move.

Posted by: swanni | July 23, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

D.C. Washington is the best anthem singer to date. Much better than yesterday -- what was her name? -- Teriyaki?

Posted by: swanni | July 23, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

No objection from me on the proposed edit... It was just what rolled off my fingers.

Posted by: Wigi | July 23, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Swanni, that's what it sounded like to me (over the radio). She seemed to be having a wee bit of trouble with locating the pitch.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

"She seemed to be having a wee bit of trouble with locating the pitch."

Should we sign her up for a spot start all the same when Redding gets injured?

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Her pitch reminded me of Matt Chico's first row change-up in Florida!

Posted by: swanni | July 23, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Sect. 506, you must have been waiting on that one:

Should we sign her up for a spot start all the same when Redding gets injured?

Then Swanni followed up to make it back-to-back hits:

Her pitch reminded me of Matt Chico's first row change-up in Florida!

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

"She seemed to be having a wee bit of trouble with locating the pitch."

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | July 23, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Swanni, re the anthem singer, we had a little fun with that name yesterday in 428. Our final effort was a TV tagline that will, alas, never be heard on the DC airwaves...

"Tulowitski, Torrealba, and Teriyaki: The Injury Lawyers."

(No *personal* injury meant here, y'unnerstand.)

Posted by: Hendo | July 23, 2007 5:31 PM | Report abuse

That would have been an acceptable response as well. Good one!

Sect: 506 let fly with: I know, it probably would have been better if I had said: "So does Chad Cordero every other day." but I totally wanted to beat the punsters.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't just the lack of pitch from the terrible Teriyaki, but she turned a 90-second song into an Opera.

Posted by: swanni | July 23, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of tees, my Meat Hook tee came today. Looks very nice and fits just right. Wish I could wear it to RFK this week, but I can still wear it around and about.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 23, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

OK, we've had the Hot Stove lineups and the A/C lineups.

Here's the off-day Windows Open For The Nice Breeze lineup (For Entertainment Purposes Only). This one is Meatless, just so we can consider the awful possibility which Barry fortunately tells us isn't likely to happen just yet:

1B - Belliard
LF - Church
RF - Kearns
3B - Zimmerman
2B - Jimenez
CF - Langerhans
SS - Lopez
C - Flores

Posted by: Hendo | July 23, 2007 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, I get all tied up at work and look what I miss!

I just saw "Shut Up and Sing", the movie about the Dixie Chicks and the brouhaha that erupted following comments they made about Bush during a concert in London, and a big part of the movie centered on TK. He took it upon himself to show a photoshopped pic of DC lead singer Nathalie Maines and Saddam Hussein together on the big screen during his shows. That and his claiming the mantle of patriotism with his "America's the *#@$ing best! and if you don't think so I'll kick your @$#&ing ass" lyrics are what really turn me off. While I'm with Barry in not liking this type of country music, I don't object to knowing that the guys like country. It's that they're drawn to TK that disappoints me. And after I was just going on yesterday-- BEFORE the awesome 8th inning homer no less-- about how I adore Austin. Ah well. They're playing America's game and surrounded nightly by flag-waving, god, and celebration of militarism. I guess it shouldn't really come as a surprise that this wears off on the players (and coach, apparently).

Posted by: JennX | July 23, 2007 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Got carried away and didn't bleep one of the words in the entry above. @$$. Sorry to anyone who may be offended. :)

Posted by: JennX | July 23, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hmm, "The Fix" melds with "Nationals Journal." Who knew?

See Barry's next thread, just posted, for happy news.

Posted by: Hendo | July 23, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Silly me, I didn't realize that I was wading into a political, as opposed to a musical, discussion (the former of which I tend to avoid). I'm sure that it was an innocent posting of a musical field trip on your part, Barry, rather than an attempt to incite the fan base. I value this blog and all of its participants and appreciate the civil tone that generally prevails.

Posted by: natsfan1a | July 24, 2007 8:07 AM | Report abuse

The fact that politics and baseball don't mix is certainly not lost on the fans of the D.C. team. It is suprising, actually, that we manage to not get into more partisan debate here. I do hope this is as far as it goes, really...

...but I can't help saying this to stir the pot: it wasn't until someone mentioned country music that things started to get a little tense. ;)

Now Playing: somafm.com -- groove salad

Posted by: i hate walks | July 24, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, didn't mean to get terribly political. Just meant to defend against the idea that people were attacking players' taste in a GENRE of music. Any discussion involving Toby Keith is, because of what he sings about etc, inherently political. And I'm sure Barry was fully aware of the political controversy that trails TK wherever he goes! :)

walks: I'm a big fan of indie pop rocks on Soma FM.

Posted by: JennX | July 24, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse