Draft news ...

Nationals have called a press conference for 4:30 p.m. with the baseball operations department. And you know what? That entire department -- and even some outside it -- seems to have clammed up.

My suspicion is they're going to announce the signing of Josh Smoker, but I'm working on it at this point. Don't have it yet, but I'd say that's the leader in the clubhouse.

UPDATE 3:55 p.m.: Looks like it is indeed Smoker who has signed, and I'm hearing it's for around what I had predicted long ago -- $950,000. I don't believe they have signed Jeff McGeary -- yet.

Here's lineups to tide you over until I get comments from all involved.

Phillies:

Rollins -- 6
Iguchi -- 4 (Thank you, John Lannan)
Burrell -- 7
Howard -- 3
Rowand -- 8
Dobbs -- 5
Werth -- 9
Ruiz -- 2
Lohse -- 1

Nationals:

Lopez -- 6
Belliard -- 4
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3 (Note that he's back in the lineup, as Acta suspected he would be)
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 7
Schneider -- 2
Logan -- 8
Hill -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 14, 2007; 3:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The clock is ticking
Next: Smoker signs for $1 million

Comments

We want 'em both...

Is someone carrying the press conference live on the radio?? Isn't today Bowden's radio day on WTEM?

Posted by: Wigi | August 14, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Come on double whammy, I think they have Smoker signed (too bad it will be too late to play this year) and man would it be great if they got McGeary too! I don't think there is a realistic number we can steal McGeary away from Stanford with, but who knows...

I'll have my fingers crossed for the next 66 minutes. Any idea if/where it would be televised?

Posted by: estuartj | August 14, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Barrry, for the line-ups and the update. But, re. Iguchi, we thought you really liked Utley? ;). Will look forward to hearing more re. the draft.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 14, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

"Iguchi -- 4 (Thank you, John Lannan)"

Ouch... You don't think it's too soon for Utley jokes? ;)

Posted by: just another nats fan | August 14, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Barry, we're counting on you to scoop here.

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 14, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I won't say who it is, but someone else has the scoop

Posted by: MZ | August 14, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

The Times (hat tip to Chris at Capitol Punishment and sorry St. Barry) has Smoker signed for $950K.

Posted by: WebberDC | August 14, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Now that there's wordon Smoker (reportedly) anything on McGeary?

Posted by: schlickw | August 14, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

and what's slot for him?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

So, lunch is on Josh.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 14, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Mort Zuckerman at the Times says it's Smoker at slightly above slot price (he says $950K).

BTW here are the slot numbers and signings for our 2007 draft.

Pick/Player/Pos/'07 Bonus/'07 Est. Slot/'06 Est. Slot

6. Ross Detwiler, lhp $2,150,000 $2,160,000 $2,400,000

31. Josh Smoker, lhp Unsigned $922,500 $1,025,000

49. Michael Burgess, of $630,000 $630,000 $700,000

67. Jordan Zimmermann, rhp $495,000 $495,000 $550,000

70. Jake Smolinski, 3b $452,500 $463,500 $515,000

100. Steven Souza, 3b $346,000 $346,500 $385,000

130. Derek Norris, c $210,000 $211,500 $235,000

160. Brad Meyers, rhp $145,800 $145,800 $162,000

190. Jack McGeary, lhp Unsigned $117,900 $155k max

Posted by: estuartj | August 14, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

So they haven't signed Jeff McGeary. What about Jack McGeary?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sheesh. First I get scooped then I get crap about a little name mistake.
Buncha know-it-alls.

Posted by: Barry's Though Bubble Again | August 14, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

thanks esj!

Posted by: just another nats fan | August 14, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

or rather Barry's ThoughT Bubble Again

Posted by: Anonymous | August 14, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Excited about Smoker. With his name, he's gotta be a great one. Agree about McGreary re "screw the slot, pay the man." MLB did enough of a number on this organization that I don't feel any twinge of regret if we overpay for a draft choice. I have 2 words for them: Grady Sizemore. Actually, two other words, too, but will skip those.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | August 14, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

"screw the slot, pay the man."

I like that, NJ. Good one.

Posted by: just another nats fan | August 14, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey, who's this Mort guy and why is he stealing my story??

Posted by: Mark Zuckerman | August 14, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Man I hope they get both signed!!!

For those of you who missed yesterdays thrilling come from behind 7-5 Potomac Win in the 9th. Catcher Devin Ivany hit a 3 run homer with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth to win the game! P NATS are now only 4 games out of first and they play the 1st place team the next 3 nights.. lets hope for a sweep!!!! (Shameless plug Thursday Night is $1 night, and no I don't work for the P Nats or the Wash. Post I'm simply a fan)

Observations from Game:
Despite a poor record and High ERA starting pitcher Cory Van Allen did a good job the first 5 innings

Relief pitchers Baeza, Spradlin, & Perrault all struggled. Although leaving lefty Spradlin in against Right handed batters (which hit a Home Run) probably was a recipe for disaster.

Biggest Disappointment of the night: Mike Daniel who was 2nd on the team in Batting Average came up twice with runners in scoring position and couldn't get a hit. Mike Daniel has been one of Potomac's better players and is probably the one guy you want up with Runners In Scoring Position, but didn't come through twice last night

Biggest Surprise: SS Ian Desmond made solid contact throughout the game. I've been critical of him in the past, and obviously I was wrong, he is still only batting .251 but it's a tough luck .251 he is hitting Lasers including a HR last night in his 3 for 5 appearance. There used to be a time when he came up that i would hope for no more than just one out, as he would usually ground into a double play.

Best Story: C Devin Ivany was the backup catcher to Luke Montz most of the year until Montz got a deserving call up to AA. So now Ivany gets to start and he is tearing it up!!! He won the game with a 3 run homer in the bottom of the ninth and is leading the team in hitting at .337 for some reason he is hitting 6th. I'm not sure why..... How much would it suck to be tearing up A and know you probably won't get called up to AA because the guy who started above you is up there.

Continued improvement: Justin Maxwell struggled when he first arrived in potomac but is doing much better now going 2 for 4 last night with a monster HR.

Welcome to Potomac: Leonard Davis. Honestly he made some great "ryan Zimmerman" type defensive plays last night and went 1 for 4 last night making his avg .286 in 5 games since being called up from Hagerstown..

We still love you Matt Rogelstad and Chris Marrerro!!! Marrero homered last night and both had multi hit games and got on base 3 times. Too bad Rogelstad gets no love from the "prospect rankings" We love Chris "Franchise" Marrero!

We only love you because you play for us RF Marvin Lowrance and 1B Brett McMillan, both of whom are underwhelming. Please try to carry some of your weight boys!

See you Thursday at the Pfitz for Dollar Night! Go P Nats!

Posted by: P Nats Fan | August 14, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Barry knows a "Jeff McGeary" I've seen him make that mistake at least twice. I do similar things with names.

Posted by: John | August 14, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I've got three words for him, or four if "your self" is 2 words.

----
Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | August 14, 2007 04:09 PM

Posted by: Undisclosed DC | August 14, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Mama told me there'd be days like this...

Posted by: Barry's thought bubble | August 14, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Brian Oliver says Barry's comments on McGreary are "I think that's a bit of wishful thinking". Them's fightin' words...

I'm betting my money on Barry to take him with a TKO in the third round.

Posted by: estuartj | August 14, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Jack McGeary, Jeff McGeary, pfft. Since, as estuartj points out, the negotiations "might in fact be academic," let's just go ahead and sign Mac McGarry.

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 14, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

What could possibly be the reason that MASN is not going to carry this news conference live? A pox on Angelos!

Posted by: Section 420, mjwies11 | August 14, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

What are your thoughts that the Nats will let others break the "slotting" for first rounders today/tonight/tomorrow, then go ahead and sign McGreary tomorrow late in the day? I think they can do that and not aggrevate MLB (too much).

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | August 14, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

It's JACK MCGEARY folks. Not Jeff McGeary, not Jack McGreary.

Posted by: And You Call Yourselves Proof Readers | August 14, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Temper, temper, Barry...

---

It's JACK MCGEARY folks. Not Jeff McGeary, not Jack McGreary.

Posted by: Barry's mom | August 14, 2007 4:51 PM | Report abuse

LOL! Maybe McGeary should hold out for a town that can spell his name right.

I bet Texas folks have no problems spelling Saltalamacchia.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 14, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps the Braves fans did?

I bet Texas folks have no problems spelling Saltalamacchia.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 14, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Fan: S-a-l-t-y, no wait, S-a-l-te-l

Saltalamacchia: You know what? [RF] this, I'm going to Texas...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 14, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Great news about Smoker...I agree with those who say to heck with MLB, the way they treated this franchise in its Montreal to DC transition...if they want to sign McGeary for above slot money, go ahead and do it, I guarantee it wouldn't stop Steinbrenner!!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | August 14, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Y'all don't want me to come out, now. Seriously. You. do. not.

Posted by: Bitter Barry | August 14, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Not that I don't agree with you about going for JACK MCGEARY... But is that really your philosophy in life? If Steinbrenner can do it, why can't I? Personally, I'd rather be a little less... well, you know, everything that he is.

Posted by: just another nats fan | August 14, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Spell Saltalamacchia, are you kidding? We're a team that has to have all our players named Ryan so we don't get confused...

Posted by: estuartj | August 14, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why is it that we can all spell Saltalamacchia?

Posted by: John in Mpls | August 14, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoa gang! I'm gone for 5 days and have had enough reading to totally neglect my day in the office. I'm impressed by your volumnitude and glad to be back in the action just in time to catch Shawn Hill sink the Phils tonight.

Glad to hear now a Smoker is in the Phish phryer and Phillie phumigator of the NL East. And, I'm with John Mpls - Smoker's gotta develop that change-up! Irony for everyone!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 14, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

We can all spell Saltalamacchia for substantially the same reason we can all spell Mississippi - (almost) all the same vowel, and quite alliterative.

Posted by: Traveler | August 14, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

The sportswriters all over town have to be thrilled with Smoker's signing. The headline potential is beyond compare;

Smoker Smokes the insert team here

Where their is Smoker there is fire

the list goes on and on and on and on...and will I'm sure...

Posted by: estuartj | August 14, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Official news in Barry's new post

Posted by: NatsNut | August 14, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

I remind everyone that money is a finite commodity. The Lerners do not have a bottomless pit of cash. There is a budget to sign players every year, and using up another $2-3 million in a HS pitcher is not what the Nats need to do. I'm glad they signed Smoker, and drafting McGreary (however you spell it) was good leverage to help sign Smoker. It's one reason he was probably invited down to DC. Smoker may have suddenly thought, hmm... maybe they don't need to sign me. Use the $2-3 million they didn't use on the Stanford guy to help sign an established position player for next year. Again these two are NOT established big leaguers. They are a gamble.

Posted by: #4 | August 14, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Slightly off topic: Can someone help me out by explaining the origin of "[RF]" or simply point me to discussion where it was born? I think I've divined its meaning, but after searching through the last month or so of NJ, I can't locate its origin. And I hate being left out of a good joke (especially one that is apparently here to stay!).

Posted by: JennX | August 14, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

In this case just another nats fan, yes, that is exactly my philosophy...what is fair for GS should be fair for all. All is equal in love, war and MLB.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | August 14, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

JennX, let me attempt to deconstruct the uses and derivation of [RF]. As best as I can recall, [RF] was first used by Hendo. The inspiration was the, um, evidently very colorful vocabulary of Mr. Robert Fick, as well as a desire to comply with blog rules re. "colorful" language. [RF] is often used in place of [expletive deleted], [expletive expletive deleted], [expletiving deleted], and so forth. I can't remember the thread where it started (perhaps as part of the posting marathon that took place over Barry's vacation?), but perhaps that thread is no longer available on the blog.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 14, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Here's where all the [RF] got started:

Posted by: Hendo | August 14, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why is it that we can all spell Saltalamacchia?
Posted by: John in Mpls | August 14, 2007 05:10 PM
-------
Hey, some cliches are true -- this is DC, and we ARE disproportionally literate.

Posted by: Cevansjr | August 15, 2007 1:59 PM | Report abuse