Is anybody up? I have WMP news

So Wily Mo Pena, the Weapon of Mass Production, left tonight's game with a contusion on his left foot. X-rays were negative. He is day-to-day.

In case anybody missed it, WMP had his Kirk Gibson moment, fouling a 2-1 fastball from Derek Lowe off, then taking a pitch, then having the head athletic trainer, Lee Kuntz, and Manager Manny Acta come out and check on him, then having the beat writer (me) be certain he was coming out of the game, then staying in, then hitting the next pitch from Lowe over the wall in left. Crushing it, really. Then he hobbled around the bases. Shocking that he didn't pump his fist twice as he rounded second. I half expected Tommy Lasorda (who is here tonight) to run from the dugout leaping and waving his arms.

Anyway, we'll talk to the Weapon after the game and relay whatever news the Journal staff is able to put up at such a late hour.

Right now, Nationals 3, Dodgers 2, headed to top of fifth.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 27, 2007; 11:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nationals' lineup
Next: Don't look now ...

Comments

Thanks for the update, Barry. I seriously don't understand how any of our fellow Washingtonians could not love this team!

Posted by: JennX | August 27, 2007 11:39 PM | Report abuse

very glad that the x-rays are negative. Also good to see that the nats are 6th in the league in double plays with 131 on the year.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | August 27, 2007 11:41 PM | Report abuse

and yes, I am a college student. Therefore I am always up late, and I love the west coast games.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | August 27, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Barry...

(I'd buy the $.35 edition, if I could get it...)

Posted by: Wigi | August 27, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Any chance the WMP makes it into tomorrow's paper, even lacking a final outcome?

Posted by: JennX | August 27, 2007 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Make that "the WMP news"!

Posted by: JennX | August 27, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, but I prefer "Mo Wily News"

Posted by: Chaz | August 28, 2007 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the post, Barry. Yep, more of us up than there oughta be, no doubt. Even some of us quite a few years past college. Thank goodness for the legendary doldrums of August.

So, what happens in a case like the WMP hommer if the batter/home run hitter is physically unable to touch em all? Does he stop at whatever base he can reach and get credit for a single or whatever? What if he can't even get to first? That must be extremely rare, but it's always seemed to me that baseball has a rule for everything.

Posted by: DunnLoringNatsFan | August 28, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Well, I am up too late, aren't I? How about "WMP homer" in previous post? Proof reading -- one of the first things to go when it's late.

Posted by: DunnLoringNatsFan | August 28, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Arrrrrghhh....

Why oh why oh WHY would Bacsik shake Schneider off?!?!?

That was the ballgame, right there.

Posted by: Juan-John | August 28, 2007 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Tough loss, Bacsik shaking off Schneider, not a great idea...

Posted by: G-town | August 28, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Anybody else watch the late edition of ESPN's Baseball Tonight? During the "touch 'em all" segment, they showed zero, nada, zifft, NONE of the three homers the Nats hit tonight.

Anybody know the dimensions of Dodger Stadium off the top of their heads? Zim's homer to somewhere around center field was a total liner. Beautiful to watch.

And here's another question for the stats geeks: how many homers is Zimmerman on pace for this season?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 28, 2007 1:15 AM | Report abuse

By "stats geeks," I shoulda said "more mathematically inclined than I am." :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | August 28, 2007 1:28 AM | Report abuse

Dimensions
Left Field: 330 ft (101 m)
Medium Left-Center: 360 ft (110 m)
True Left-Center: 375 ft (114 m)
Center Field: 395 ft (120 m)
True Right-Center: 375 ft (114 m)
Medium Right-Center: 360 ft (110 m)
Right Field: 330 ft (101 m)
Backstop: ≈55 ft (≈17 m)

Posted by: Wikipedia | August 28, 2007 2:59 AM | Report abuse

OK, JJ: the Nats are 58-74, and Zimmerman has 22 home runs. He would hit another five if he keeps that up. (22/132)*162 = 27

------
Posted by: Juan-John | August 28, 2007 01:15 AM
By "stats geeks," I shoulda said "more mathematically inclined than I am." :-)
Posted by: Juan-John | August 28, 2007 01:28 AM

Posted by: Cevans | August 28, 2007 3:08 AM | Report abuse

I seem to remember a case many many years ago, when a runner, on base for a home run, tripped over third and knocked himself out. The hitter, trotting behind him, couldn't pass him, or he'd be out. So he picked him up and carried him (in front) to home, "tagged" home with his still groggy teammate, and then touched home himself.
If the hitter doesn't reach, or (this is more likely) MISSES a base on the way around, the defensive team can put the ball in play and appeal. He would get credit for only the bases he successfully reached. If he is out at first, he doesn't even get a hit (score it a force out, btw).
-------
So, what happens ... if the batter is physically unable to touch em all? Does he stop at whatever base he can reach and get credit for a single or whatever? What if he can't even get to first? That must be extremely rare, but it's always seemed to me that baseball has a rule for everything.
Posted by: DunnLoringNatsFan | August 28, 2007 12:21 AM

Posted by: Cevansjr | August 28, 2007 3:17 AM | Report abuse

Who was it who had to elbow his way around the bases after a walk-off home run, thru a crowd from the stands? Gotta touch em all or it doesn't count.

Posted by: Cevans | August 28, 2007 3:21 AM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.
I Look forward to hear you soon with impatience. Adult Dating[url=http://toplop.com/?idAff=59]Adult Dating[/url]

Posted by: datindjcc | August 28, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for sharing, Elena. Uh, moderators?

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 28, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

My name is Elena. To me of 20 years.
I would like to get acquainted with you if you not against.

Posted by: datindjoq | August 28, 2007 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Come on Barry, police your Journal! This is about Baseball and the NATS. There are no Vetters nor Craigs here!!

Posted by: Sec 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | August 28, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Elena,

I'm hitting .800, I'm on the Bears. You live around here? I got a Harley-Davidson. Does that turn you on...Harley-Davidson?

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | August 28, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Elena, ignore him, he's using someone else's VISA. I'm hitting .4d9, and driving a Rolls-Canardly ...

Posted by: Mr. Applegate | August 28, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Just when we get some power... Darn.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 28, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Lovin' the moniker, "Mr. Applegate."

Posted by: Lola | August 28, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

cxmaz xwiolmvrj jcutdyk hntz ytbvfe pqynjf zboycpqnk

Posted by: vmwixuj lyabqi | November 12, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

higc dbulmvfp dvxrnj xksjqcvzn fjyixr haxer abzeu http://www.ubajzyvtp.psrg.com

Posted by: bligwupez vdaiqoc | November 12, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

xeohrtsm mnjdikt qipkjmvzg asxl zbrescf atsyfrc xgbuv piuwdy vehojfuig

Posted by: ibqo alygdku | November 12, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

mjwoy uwpvar qvmr hpbcxeftn wimsregp pxfco jtprmdqef [URL=http://www.evrcjhwfu.vfbh.com]phknvrg tdgvzwmsr[/URL]

Posted by: pmafvuns tfqhaewz | November 12, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

kvartiry gorod klin moskva kuplyu kvartiru obyavleniya 2 aya kvartira arenda kvartir g omsk 2 aya kvartira kuplyu kvartiru mo snimu kvartiru gorod chehov algoritm pokupki kvartiry remont kvartir svarka

Posted by: 2 aya kvartira | December 14, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

flat flat buy apartament

Posted by: House appartament | December 17, 2007 9:15 PM | Report abuse

flat flat buy apartment

Posted by: House appartment | December 18, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

A fantastic site, and brilliant effort. A great piece of work. zzAzzXX

Posted by: Alfred | January 11, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all you do in helping me fulfill my dreams. zzAzzQQ

Posted by: Geraldine | January 13, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse