McGeary deal, Part 2

So the deal, according to sources, is for $1.8 million. That's first-round money for a sixth-round pick, showing that the Nationals were not going to succumb to industry pressure to stay in line.

This is fascinating on a lot of levels. Jim Bowden just confirmed it to me: "We made the deal," he said in an email.

Let me write fix up my notebook for tomorrow's paper, and I'll go home and write up something a little more well thought-out.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 15, 2007; 11:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McGeary deal done!
Next: McGeary: Why it's significant

Comments

OH. MY. GAWD!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | August 15, 2007 11:56 PM

____

dancing in my living room again.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 15, 2007 11:57 PM

Posted by: NatsNut (trying to keep up) | August 16, 2007 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Frist...sweet the NL YANKS of the draft!! woohoo..

Posted by: chris | August 16, 2007 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Holy moley! Kudos to Jim Bowden and staff for pulling this off - the rest of MLB will be shocked and amazed, I'm sure!

Kudos, too, to the Lerners for coming through on the financial end!

A great day in Nationals history

Posted by: Nationals Power | August 16, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

WOOHOO!

Posted by: CY | August 16, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

1.8 mil is a heck of a lot less than I thought it would take.

I think it was selling the Nats as a future WS winner than the money that got him to sign.

Aaron Rowand, are you watching?

Posted by: estuartj | August 16, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Barry, Nats brass, fellow bloggers: Please explain the $800,000 gap in signing bonuses between Smoker ($1.0M) and McGeary ($1.8M).

Is the talent difference that great? Is Smoker suddenly unhappy with his bonus? Please, enlighten me.

Posted by: BrianH | August 16, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

To review, the Lerners have, to date:

- hired a crack team of scouts
- cut dead-weight has-beens from payroll
- found some surprises
- drafted top talent
- signed some core vets for the bench/clubhouse
- fired Aramark for next year
- signed all the top draft picks

What's left on our wish list for the Plan at the beginning of the year? Big name free agent? Anything else?

I think these owners are turning out to be pretty good.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 16, 2007 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Barry, kudos, on your accurate scoop on the McGeary story.

Posted by: brianh | August 16, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

this is fecking delicious

Posted by: Rocket1124 | August 16, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Great sign!

This is what it takes to build a winner the right way through scouting and drafting. Even if he doesn't work out, it sends a message that the Nats needed to send!

MLB - stick it in your ear if you don't like it!

Now, if we could only get our own TV network...

Posted by: roman1735 | August 16, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

[RF] the industry. And its white horse (ostensibly, pathetically, Bud) too.

Barry, you and the Nats FO have made my night.

Posted by: Hendo | August 16, 2007 12:09 AM | Report abuse

i wish I could wake everyone up who went to bed already. Can't wait to see the reactions in the morning.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 16, 2007 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Excellent! All that's left to do now is ban the playing of "Sweet Caroline" at Nats games (damn Boston song!).

Posted by: Vincent | August 16, 2007 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Well gosh, guys. What a steal! Most of the time, to get first round talent with first round money, you have to draft a guy in the first round. We got away with McGeary on a sixth round pick! Nicely done, Front Office.

Posted by: just another nats fan | August 16, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I'm with BrianH -- congrats Barry on reporting the story carefully, fairly, and thoroughly all day and into the night.

Posted by: Sam | August 16, 2007 12:17 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic news!
Way to go Nats.

Thanks you Lerners

Posted by: jws | August 16, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The Future Free Agents MUST be watching this. Fabulous news.

Posted by: Sec 515 | August 16, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Interesting from a journalistic standpoint contrasting "get it first" vs. "get it right".

First Mort Whazizname over at the Times "scoops" the Smoker signing (but somehow mysteriously botches the amount of the signing bonus, making it sound a lot more like a "guess" than a "scoop").

Then Ladson over at mlb.com "scoops" the fact that McGeary's going to Stanford....but, oh, ooops, turns out that wasn't right, either.

Maybe these guys should do less guessing and more reporting...

Posted by: joebleux | August 16, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I doubted Barry. I guess it didn't take too much money to get him away from Stanford after all.

Nice to see the organization willing to spend money on top talent and also to do what is right for the team without regard to what outsiders might say.

All that said, for McGreary, how much would he have gotten if he'd never mentioned Stanford at all? I assume about the same, assuming we thought he was about a top 15 pick. Anyone know what the top 10-20 picks went for?

I'm off to be with a big smile on my face, Hill back, Smoker signed, Redding victorious and now McGreary signed too. That my friends is one heck of a week!

Posted by: estuartj | August 16, 2007 12:42 AM | Report abuse

BTW, not to detract from our McGeary-centered giddiness, but the shout from Charlie Manuel re Zimm, reported by Barry in tonight's notebook, is a nice touch. Manuel is a guy for whom I have a ton of admiration and respect, particularly given his trials -- and the maiming he took -- in Japan.

Getting to hear the angle of a guy with Manuel's experience distinguishes the reporting of this seemingly everyday item to a level that compels the reader to keep eyes attuned to the output of Barry's keyboard.

Posted by: Hendo | August 16, 2007 12:47 AM | Report abuse

I hope Barry is able to talk to McGreary tonight, I'm very curious to see what tuned him around. It certainly doesn't look like it was the money - he should have expected at least this much had he not talk so big about Stanford.

When did he decided he wanted to play pro ball and was it playing pro ball vs college or the chance to play for a team on the rise vs risk playing on a perenial loser in 3 years?

Posted by: estuartj | August 16, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

estuart -- it appears that McGeary will attend college full time and play baseball in the summers for a few years, and the team is paying for his college.

Hard to know if that will work as a baseball/development matter, but it's pretty creative.

This info is from baseball america's draft blog.

Posted by: Sam | August 16, 2007 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Drew Henson did that at Michigan, and played football at the same time.

Didn't work out too well for Drew, but there is at least a precedent for it.

Posted by: estuartj | August 16, 2007 12:54 AM | Report abuse

Sweet Mama Ding-Dongs, who woulda thunk it?!?

Couple thoughts:

Notre Dame's wide receiver (I think) Jeff Smardjzia (sp?) played football at ND at the same time that he'd already been drafted and spent summers pitching in the minor leagues.

About time Churchie got an upper-deck-right-field homer again. He belted more than a few of them that way last year.

Anybody else watch the MASN broadcast and see/hear Cordero and Bacsik singing in the bullpen after Ray King went out to pitch? That, coupled with the win, just about made my night!

Posted by: Juan-John | August 16, 2007 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, and Barry:

GO TO BED!! You've done enough good work today already!

Posted by: Juan-John | August 16, 2007 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Closing it down at the hutch with news of props:

First, of course, Barry got the McGeary signing into the Notebook, presumably for $.35 edition publication this morning. I don't know how these deadlines can possibly get met, but I'll be at the paper machine at Silver Spring Metro bright and early in the ayem.

Second, Bill Ladson has posted news of the signing on MLB.com. He does not mention how he blew the scoop earlier, not that it matters very much.

We should presently be in the eye of ESPN et al. Dress appropriately for Thursday night's contest (my last, sadly, before my round-the-world business trip that starts Friday).

Posted by: Hendo | August 16, 2007 1:41 AM | Report abuse

Again kudos to you night owls. The news did not make the early .35 edition that I get in Bethesda. Hence, being on the Journal this am. It is great news and shows the Lerners are serious people. I like Bowden's goofy risk taking style which is balanced by Kasten's apparent taste for methodical due diligence. They make a good team.

The Bacsik-Cordero duet was funny(!) and at the same time illustrates the style of Manny--Stay loose, have fun and WIN!!

Posted by: Section 417 Row 8 Seat 9 | August 16, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse