McGeary in the house

So I know I'm stepping all over all y'all's conversations, etc., but I figured I'd get some stuff out there during batting practice. Please feel free to keep those other discussions going.

Jack McGeary, the high school pitcher from Massachusetts who the Nationals took in the sixth round of the draft, is in town tonight and tomorrow and will be at both games. This is the kid who's a first-round talent, so they say, but slipped to the sixth because he is committed to Stanford and feels like he can go have a nice, normal college experience and then get drafted in the first round in three years.

The Nationals, though, are not going to go quietly. They're pulling out all the big stops for the kid this weekend, though because of NCAA restrictions, they can't pay for the trip or dinner or anything like that. If they did, that could put the kid's scholarship in question. But they're going to try to show him how it is in Washington -- including, GM Jim Bowden said, a trip to the White House -- and I'm sure they'll put on a big splash, saying how they're going to win and win soon and he could be a part of it.

We'll see what happens.

Other developments: No closer to signing supplemental pick Josh Smoker, and Bowden basically threatened that if they don't sign him, they'll be happy to take choice 31B next season. "We're not afraid to get 31B," Bowden said. (New rule refresher: If a draft pick goes unsigned by the Aug. 15 deadline, then the drafting team gets a compensation pick in the next draft.)

Other news: Jason Bergmann threw a bullpen session today to test his left hamstring. Went well, and he's going to Viera to start a throwing program. Jesus Colome will also head to Florida, and as we discussed John Patterson is headed that way as well.

OK, lots to hack out. Have an extra story going in the $.35 edition tomorrow so bear with me. Here's the lineups:

Cardinals:

Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 7
Schneider -- 2
Logan -- 8
Redding -- 1

See you out here. They're wearing the Homestead Grays uniforms tonight, remember.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 3, 2007; 4:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Detwiler update
Next: Fun fun fun (and charity) over the weekend

Comments

From the last thread

ESJ:

That's a compelling argument. I could agree on Hill maybe because he's shown he has front of the rotation stuff. I guess my question for you then is that if we accept your reasoning, why wouldn't we give a rotation spot to Patterson then as well? His injury history and stuff are very similar to Hill's and his stuff is better than Bergman's.

I can't agree with you on the bullpen. I understand your reasoning with the lefty-heavy rotation. I just think it's vital for any team to have two LHP in the pen, given the match ups. I think it's important to think about because it makes some of these quality RH relievers good trade bait.

Posted by: #4 | August 3, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

As much as I love the Nats and want them to have the best players (and as much as I am committed to bashing Stanfurd as a Cal alum), I gotta say... go to college, kid! Hopefully you'll still have an arm when you get out, and either way you'll have a brain and an education for when it doesn't work out (like it doesn't for xx% of pro wannabes out there).

Posted by: JennX | August 3, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

JennX

If this makes you feel better, if the kid truly wants to get an education at Stanford, he will - even if he signs. I'm sure part of the Nats' contract offer is to pay his tuition at Stanford. It almost always is with these 1st round picks. He can atttend in the off season. He's been accepted to the university. They won't revoke that even if he signs. In fact he's better off signing in some ways because the Nats will have his long term arm health in mind the next three years. College coaches need to win now, so they've been known to abuse guys. I have to say though that Stanford does not have that rep.

Posted by: #4 | August 3, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I noticed your discussion earlier today about pitchers batting, and someone brought me up. I've said many times that I want to stay in the NL because I like to bat. I'll be looking for a new home next year. Can I come pitch in your new stadium?

Posted by: Carlos Zambrano | August 3, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

"Can I come pitch in your new stadium?"

It gets very hot here. We have enough pitcher-related issues, we don't need to add climate to the mix.

as of 4:15 today...
CHICAGO (AP) -Cubs ace Carlos Zambrano left Friday's game against the New York Mets in the sixth inning due to heat-related cramping.

Zambrano, who tied a career high with seven walks, had just given up a homer to Ramon Castro

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | August 3, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

#4-- Ah, didn't realize he had that option. Everything that's been said so far makes it sound like it's either/or. Thanks for clarifying!

Posted by: JennX | August 3, 2007 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Barry, thanks for the info. I still hope they can get both guys signed.

Posted by: John | August 3, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Carlos, I'm sure you are very nice person and kind to puppies, etc., but you do seem to be a little rough on your catchers. I think we'll pass...

Posted by: Brian O'Flores | August 3, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

That was all Barrett. I promise not to deck Schneider.

Posted by: Carlos Zambrano | August 3, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

If you promise to deck Screech, I'm all for it.

---

That was all Barrett. I promise not to deck Schneider.

Posted by: Carlos Zambrano | August 3, 2007 05:56 PM

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 3, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I am drinking in the McGeary story, although I imagine it is no more substantial than a sound bite. They need to keep showing effort, especially in light of the inaction at the trading deadline. We have less than 2 weeks to deal with McGeary or Smoker, but at least now I feel we should say "McGeary and Smoker".

Posted by: Iron Fan | August 3, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

and clint.

_____________

If you promise to deck Screech, I'm all for it.

---

That was all Barrett. I promise not to deck Schneider.

Posted by: Carlos Zambrano | August 3, 2007 05:56 PM

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 3, 2007 06:01 PM

Posted by: predictable comment | August 3, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

...and Tom, Abe, and George. I need a curly W !

--------------------
and clint.
__________
If you promise to deck Screech, I'm all for it.
---
That was all Barrett. I promise not to deck Schneider.

Posted by: Carlos Zambrano | August 3, 2007 05:56 PM
Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 3, 2007 06:01 PM
Posted by: predictable comment | August 3, 2007 06:04 PM

Posted by: Teddy | August 3, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Not that I am 100% behind this logic, but... If McGeary hadn't committed to Stanford, he probably would have gone in the first round... or close to it, at least.

This is one of those places that I think Kasten and Bowden need to show something... cough up the bonus money to sign Smoker and McGeary.

If Bowden gets those two... I will be impressed... and I bet others take notice, too (Others, being the Conventional Wisdom People).

Posted by: Wigi | August 3, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

How could Church lay off that pitch? With the bases juiced and 2 outs did he really think he wouldn't get something in the zone? You have to at least slap that pitch foul to stay alive!

Posted by: estuartj | August 3, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

... at mid-5, T. Redding seems to be doing a pretty good job, scattering seven hits, but having given up only one run, thereby keeping the Nats in the game. However, it seems the recently on-fire Washington bats have been quenched tonight. And that brings up a question - a question of stats perhaps, and maybe something Sect506am or you other armchair statisticians might work on.

Which Nats starter has benefitted the most this year from good run support? That is, in the games the Nats score runs, which starting pitcher is most often on the mound?

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 3, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Ronnie! Again hitting what is needed - driving the ball deep!

Yikes, tough luck Zimm. Coulda used another run there.

Ok 'pen! Your serve!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 3, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

In 1996 I had a conversation with a major college baseball coach about top level talent. He had one of his econ profs calculate how much a player need to get to balance not getting a college education.Back then the number after taxes was $467,000. Eleven years later I would believe the number is closer to a million dollars. Now that was a normal college education. I would assume a Stanford degree is more valuable. So the Lerner's are going to have to belly up to the bar if they are going to entice young Mr McGeary to sign. As I once asked where was he rated by the BA types before the draft? If he was a top tier player, going to have to be treat as a top tier player.
Ask Boston how they feel about not signing Mark Texiera out of high school back in 1998. They drafted him in the lower rounds and even though he had committed to GT.

Posted by: Tom | August 3, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Just got home from RFK. What a great win! It was especially sweet because of all the damn Cardinal fans, who then went home disappointed.

Anyway, tonight's performance by Redding ought to add fuel to the speculation that he might possibly be the subject of a waiver trade to a contender. And the price might just keep going up with each start.

Those who bashed Bowden for not trading at the deadline need to remember who it was that signed Dmitri, Belliard, Redding, Bacsik, Colome and even Ray King for next to nothing last offseason. Where would we be without them?

Posted by: bdrube | August 3, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Has Ryan Church had a worse night? Strikeout with bases loaded. Hits into a DP with men on first and third. And his bat slips and hits a kid.

Posted by: art | August 4, 2007 7:47 AM | Report abuse

I'm thinking the presence of McGeary could be intended to light a fire under Smoker.

Posted by: tomterp | August 4, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse