Nationals' lineup

Here's your lineup from Chavez Ravine. This is a nice place, but I have to say that the seats here are faded more than those at RFK.

Washington:
Lopez - 6
Logan - 8
Zimmerman - 5
Young - 3
Kearns - 9
Pena - 7
Belliard - 4
Schneider - 2
Bacsik - 1

Bergmann back tomorrow night. Dodgers got in at like 6 a.m. or something after their flight from New York. Following the night game. Yuck.

Astros fire Manager Phil Garner and GM Tim Purpura. I talked to Purpura last week, and he was really looking toward the future, but I also heard that he was in some trouble. Would you swap Houston's roster for the Nationals' right now? It'd mean you'd get Hunter Pence, Carlos Lee and Roy Oswalt, which isn't a bad place to start.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 27, 2007; 6:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Position by position: The Cordero Question
Next: Is anybody up? I have WMP news

Comments

Thanks Barry.
I'm about Cordero-ed out. Tired of thinking and griping about him. Let's talk about something else. In the spirit of our resilient players, I'll get over Friday and move on...

Posted by: NatsNut | August 27, 2007 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Took a Smithsonian local tour yesterday (almost melting in the heat and humidity). We went down to Congressional Cemetery and the Navy Yard -- and went by the new stadium construction site. Wow. First time I've seen it. They are making incredible progress. It will be interesting to see if the neighborhood actually improves down there in the future.

Posted by: nats fan in annandale | August 27, 2007 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Barry -- last offseason, all the seats at Dodger Stadium were restored to the original, somewhat washed-out, colors of the stadium when it opened in 1962.

Posted by: Sam | August 27, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm . . . it now occurs to me this was probably tongue in cheek.

Posted by: Sam | August 27, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Ap reports that Phil Garner was fired today, and that the Astros are 58-73 after losing to "lowly Washington and Pittsburgh". Excuse me, but since the Astros have the same record as the Astros, why make the point that the Astros are any more lowly than the Astros?

Posted by: Get real, AP | August 27, 2007 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I sure bungled that. Of, course, I meant "if the Astros have the same record as the Nats, why are the Nats any more lowly than the Astros"?

Posted by: Get real, AP | August 27, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I would swap major league rosters, but not minor league systems. Washington's is better than Houstons, believe it or not. Movin' on up...!

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | August 27, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

The Nats will be the worst team to ever win the World Series.

Whatever that means.

Posted by: Wigi | August 27, 2007 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Just read that Washington Post radio is calling it quits soon. Does that mean no more Nats games on 1500?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2007 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Get real, we were all on coffee breaks.

---

Posted by: Proofreading fairies | August 27, 2007 8:22 PM | Report abuse

No way -- I want my Nats roster warts and all...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 27, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Where did you read that Washigton Post radio is going away? I am disappointed! I would like to read more, though.

Posted by: Radio fan | August 27, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

If the offer was on the table I probably would make the switch. The 'Stros are one really good draft (assuming this 2007 draft was really good) away from where the nats are and despite the crappy record I think they have a much better big league roster. At the very least they have more big names that are tradable for prospects. Also keep in mind this year was a big down year/injury year for the stros whose players are playing below thier standards as opposed to the nats who are playing far above.

That being said... i love what we've got going on here, I have more fun watching a nats game then any astros fan that i know of.

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | August 27, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Get real grumbled: Early season assumptions hold, in spite of evidence- the Nats must be considered the worst, no matter what, apparently.

---

Just another data point to bolster my theory as posted in an earlier thread...

I've been musing over this phenomenon for some time now, and have developed a theory on the continuing "lowly" and "worst" descriptors for our guys. As I recently posted on a fan forum, my theory is that most sportswriters, a lazy and curmudgeonly lot [Ed: present company, even when in bitter mode, is excepted, of course], set function keys for the Nats on their computers at the beginning of the year. When hit, the F keys would spit out "The Washington Nationals, the worst team in baseball." Once the Nats started improving, the writers got tired of constantly having to re-calculate the standings and edit their F key text (sample: "The Washington Nationals, the second worst team in baseball," "The Washington Nationals, the third worst team in baseball," etc.). So, some of them changed their F key text to say "The Washington Nationals, one of the worst teams in baseball," others went with the simpler (and even lazier) "the lowly Nats."

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 27, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

This just in from Woodbridge...Ross Detwiler threw 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 Ks, 1 BB. Detwiler finished the game that was washed out last night as the P-Nats won 6-0.

Posted by: #1 Ross Detwiler Fan | August 27, 2007 8:29 PM | Report abuse

All right, now! But I suppose this means I won't see Det pitching on Friday when I head down to Woodbridge to see the P-Nats (and the Famous San Diego Chicken).

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 27, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's a report about Washington Post Radio, posted on the Post website at 8:06p. The report is that WTWP will go off the air "by the end of September" and owner Bonneville will continue the station with a new name and mostly syndicated talk shows, without any WaPo affiliation.

The article does not mention the Nats, other than to note that the Nats broadcasts have helped to improve ratings in recent months.
Barry? Any more info? In your spare time, of course.

Posted by: DunnLoringNatsFan | August 27, 2007 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I would definitely NOT trade rosters. There are three pieces that I would love to have, (Oswalt, Pence and Berkman - in that order), but I think our farm looks better, our team looks younger, and I think we are much more competitive.

Purpura just got fired, and I'm starting to really think JimBo might be a solid GM after all. Two sides of the coin to me.

That said, give me their roster and the pieces we could get in trades... My mouth salivates...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 27, 2007 9:38 PM | Report abuse

On a totally different note, does anyone else feel consistently disappointed by Bill Ladson at mlb.com? Maybe it's because I read everything I can about the Nats, but he just never seems to say anything new or worthwhile. His reporting is specious, and he is not consistent with the mailbag, the one thing that I really look forward to.

What think ye?

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 27, 2007 9:56 PM | Report abuse

NattyDelite,

I agree, he never really seems to take a stand on anything he reports on. He is doing it for the job not because he loves the team/game (like one DC beat writer we know...). But I, like you, will still read everything about the Nats that I can.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | August 27, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I'm going to take the plunge... I like Wily Mo. I'm pulling for him to work out here after watching him hobble around that basepath. I gotta go to bed, but someone watch Touch 'Em All and if that's not on there, we're burning down ESPN headquarters.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 27, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Well... Wily Mo just left the game with an "injured ankle". Replaced by Church.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | August 27, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I officially love Wily Mo. That was awesome. I was screaming Gibson! at the TV so loud I didn't notice that Bob Carpenter was saying the same thing until I backed it up to watch it again. Okay, it wasn't the World Series, but still. Part of me is bummed, though, that he got hurt pushing through an injury in a game that doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. Hope he recovers quickly!

Posted by: JennX | August 27, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

New post is up. And Zimmerman just went yard.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | August 27, 2007 11:35 PM | Report abuse