Shawn Hill, Part 3 (He'll start Tuesday)

Thursday, GM Jim Bowden said Shawn Hill, out since May 11 and on the DL since May 14 with left shoulder and right elbow problems, would get through his start at Class AAA Columbus and start for the Nationals on Tuesday against Philadelphia in Washington.

Friday, GM Jim Bowden said Shawn Hill, out since May 11 and on the DL since May 14 with left shoulder and right elbow problems, would get one more start for Class AAA Columbus because his secondary pitches weren't sharp in his five-inning, one-run outing for Columbus.

And within the hour, GM Jim Bowden walked by me in the clubhouse and said, "Hey Barry. Shawn's pitching here Tuesday."

Huh?

With that, we bring you this episode of Jim Bowden Unplugged:

"We have a a responsibility to put our best team out there, and our best team has Shawn Hill on the mound Tuesday. I think we owe it to those teams in the pennant race."

"I literally changed my mind. I thought about it overnight, and after thoroughly looking at it and the way he pitched the last time out, he might not be as crisp and 100 percent as we'd like, I think he's still our best pitcher."

Bowden was asked how much Matt Chico's five-inning, six-walk performance played into the decision. He paused for quite some time before he said the following: "I think it just reminds us that Shawn Hill is an important part of our future. And he should be on the mound on Tuesday for us and not in Triple A. We're playing teams that are in a serious pennant race, and we've got to put our best out there."

"I think I made a wrong decision yesterday and fortunately thought about it and hopefully this is the right decision."

So there you have it. I said in the last post to watch Brandon Webb's sinker becuse it's nasty. Well, watch it now, because when Hill dominated the Phillies in Philadelphia earlier this year, many of the Phillies -- unsolicited -- said Hill's sinker is right there with Webb's as the best in the league.

Also: Dmitri Young won't start today or tomorrow. He said his left hamstring felt the same. He is available in a game-deciding situation to pinch hit.

Check below for lineups posted earlier.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 11, 2007; 6:35 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups for Saturday night
Next: How the Snakes were built

Comments

OK, I was on a previous post. Even still, Dmitri's status is up in the air. You have made us all fond of Fick as a man, but he has not made us fond of him as a ballplayer lately. We have few options, but Broadway is one of them, and since he is no longer in the long term plans, there is no danger in giving him service time.

Posted by: Kevin | August 11, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about Broadway. It can't hurt...can it???

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | August 11, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

I think Bowden read my post about how we can still finish at .500 and decided to start Hill right away.

Posted by: estuartj | August 11, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Oh my, this game is turning out petty nicely. Too bad about the triple, but Lannan is doing awesome, and dueling Webb to practically a draw.

Posted by: SF Fan | August 11, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Fur sure, SF Fan. Lannan pitched a fantasic game. I just wish the offense would wake up.

Just heard that the Nook Logan is batting .305 right handed. Who would have thought?

Posted by: Viva Livan | August 11, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Just heard that Nook Logan is batting .305 since switching to being strictly a right handed batter. Who would have thought?

Posted by: Viva Livan | August 11, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Back from SF, and what a nice park AT&T is. If you've never been to SF, you owe it to yourself to go, what an absolutely beautiful part of this country. I didn't see the 756 game, only game 1 of the series, but enjoyed it just the same. Talked to a couple of ushers and they were all excited about getting a look at Ryan Zimmerman. Yep, he is building a reputation throughout the league. Well, I hope they can pull this one out tonight as Lannan has really put forth a terrific effort, shame to have it wasted, but the D=Bcks are a pretty good team aren't they. I was just hoping not to be swept there, still a chance to escape the broom. Nats out west, tryin there best. 3 up and 4 down would be ok, just don't get DBack swept is what I say. Come back to RFK and give us some thrills, lets beat up on those Mets and Phils.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | August 11, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I just got home and read the play-by-play on Gameday. Holy Smokes. Ground out. Fly out. Rinse. Repeat. Both teams.
Awesome, awesome job Lannan. Yesterday's loss was painful. This one, not so much.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 11, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

On a former Nats note, Jamey Carroll comes in to pinch hit for the Rockies against the Cubs and makes with the grand salami -- at Colorado, not Wrigley. Wow.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 11, 2007 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh wait, that's a hitter's park, too. Anyway, I still say "wow" (and "never mind" re. the park).

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 11, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Here's a couple stats for everyone to chew on;

1. Larry Broadway since the all star break at Columbus (AAA)
avg: .347
obp: .475
slg: .547
OPS: 1.022
SO: 20
BB: 22

2. Brandon Watson since the all star break at Columbus (AAA)
avg: .349
obp: .384
slg: .500
ops: .884
SO: 13
BB: 6
SB: 1 (16 before, curious)

I think it might be time to bring Broadway up, even if that means releasing Fick. I like Fick, but he is the 5th outfielder, 3rd catcher and (unfortunately) 2nd 1st baseman. The guy has had a great run because of his versatility, but enough is enough.

BTW for everyone who has written off Larry Broadway, he is only 26. If he can carry over the great success he's had in the 2nd half in Columbus to the majors he can still be a viable backup. Now matter what come Sept. 4 we need to find out what we have with him...

Posted by: estuartj | August 11, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Careful Barry. Your crush might get jealous you've been oggling another sinker.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 11, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, only one sinker-crush per writer, puleeze.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 11, 2007 11:17 PM | Report abuse

... after complaining (seems I can't use the female dog word) about Friday's weak effort, for which #4 was able to drag Cuba and Castro into the mix (I doubt you and I will ever agree on that issue, it seems), I look at last night's loss as a huge WIN. John (Imagine) Lannan went toe-for-toe with Cy Webb, ... er, that should be Brandon Young, and came away having left a huge footprint in the Arizona pathway between the mound and the plate.

... whatever the final circumstances of this Nats' season, there will be a few forever highlights - not a few from the pitching staff - and 'Last Night Lannan' will surely be among them.

... I expect a few scribes, bloggers, and pundits will resort to the phrase "Lannan's effort was wasted", but not on your life: when a young guy like John L. does that well in a close game like yesterday's, there's no 'waste' about it.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 12, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natscan reduxit (apologies if double posting) | August 12, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

... whatever the final circumstances of this Nats' season, there will be a slew of forever highlights - not a few from the pitching staff - and 'Last Night Lannan' will surely be among them.

Posted by: natscan reduxit (apologies if double posting) | August 12, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natscan reduxit (apologies if double posting) | August 12, 2007 9:49 AM | Report abuse

... trying to post a comment on last night's game, but to no avail. Will wait for an hour or two, and try again.

... keep well.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 12, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

... okay. Apologies in order on this beautiful Sunday morning.

... my regular browser developed a glitch somewhere, but when I tried a secondary one, I found ALL my attempts had been duly sent. Sorry for loading up your pages. I'll try to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 12, 2007 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Congrations, natscan, for your posting grand slam, or would that be posting for the cycle... ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 10:12 AM | Report abuse

But seriously, natscan, great point in your posting, re. Lannan's outing as a positive!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 10:13 AM | Report abuse

I see that Pujols is on board the Vote for Manny bandwagon, according to George Solomon's item in this morning's Post. All right!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Took two out of three in Chesapeake Beach:
1. "The Craze" rocked at Beach Cove. (Which sports three TVs, as a good dive should.)
2. Nats rolled over, kinda, at Chase. (To a worthy opponent, to be sure, in the Webb-led Snakes.)
3. Skins second-stringers remembered that the game goes four quarters in pulling out a 14-6 win during the two-minute drill.

Re item (2), let's get 'em today.

Posted by: Hendo | August 12, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Also,

4. The P-Nats shut out the Hogs in a near-perfect game by lefty Justin Jones.

I'm glad that we saw Detwiler's debut, but it would have been cool to be there yesterday, too!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and re. #2, I have a feeling we'll get 'em today...

Oh, and don't forget the sourdough, Barry...

Posted by: natsfan1 | August 12, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh, wait, I forgot, you're in AZ now. Never mind...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Late filing on the Friday night contest in Prince William County:

Detwiler -- "Det" to the would-be cognoscenti, viz.: me -- seemed just a wee bit pumped. Imagine that. He kept the adrenalin well under control, not having horrible trouble finding the strike zone. As he settles down, he should be able to vary speeds and hone his repertoire against pro hitters to up the K count.

Also, I really don't know what kind of play-caller P-Nats catcher Devin Ivany is. On the field, he mismoused once in the sixth, throwing way offline to first on what looked like it should have been a routine pickoff try on Warthog C. J. Lang.

That fortunately cost nothing, assuming the pickoff would have failed, and probably little if it had succeeded. With Hogs on second and third, one run already scored in the inning and none out, lefty Jack Spradlin was summoned in relief of Greg Bunn and set down Winston-Salem 1-2-3. (Spradlin's numbers look half-decent; Bunn's, not so good since his promotion from Hagerstown.)

3B Leonard Davis looked pretty fair. He went 2-for-4, singling in the third and working a 10-pitch at-bat from W-S's Jon Link in the ninth before capping the (sadly insufficient) rally by mashing a 3-run tater over the 400-foot mark in center.

Potomac RF Marvin Lowrance also looked good at bat (2-for-4) and in the field (fine effort to spear Javier Castillo's liner in the fifth to snuff a Hogs threat). Lowrance is doing OK since promotion to the P-Nats at .258 / .368 / .455, not the crushing numbers he posted for the Suns but plenty good to earn his keep in A+ ball.

BTW, we dove into the weekend feeling all Det, but did anyone else notice that Justin Jones spun a near-perfecto for the P-Nats last night?

Posted by: Hendo | August 12, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

natsfan1a noticed. (That last post of mine took a while.)

Posted by: Hendo | August 12, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hendo, it was worth the wait. Thanks!

---

(That last post of mine took a while.)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse