The Lineup for Saturday

No new news yet. Jack McGeary will be here today, and anyone who wants to get a gander at first-round pick Ross Detwiler ought to head to Potomac either Wednesday or Thursday. I'll get you the exact day as soon as I can.

Saturday's Washington lineup:

Lopez -- 6
Belliard -- 4
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Church -- 7
Schneider -- 2
Logan -- 8
Hanrahan -- 1

Funny that we had a discussion yesterday about Ryan Zimmerman's defense, and it looked like for a while it might have been a focus of last night's story, what with the tough-but-makable play he threw wide of first in the eighth, which led to a run. But Zimmerman made up for it with his game-winning hit, and he's getting used to that feeling. Anyone who didn't watch the game should pick up the $.35 edition to see the photos of those Grays uniforms, which were cool. Dmitri Young looked the best, I thought, in what can only be described as "pantaloons."

I also touched on the Nationals' pitchers vs. Barry Bonds, which would be the matchup of the sports world next week. The guys have some interesting thoughts on the matter, and they also have some interesting numbers against him. Only five of 12 pitchers on the Nats' staff have faced Bonds, but those five -- Ray King, Tim Redding, Mike Bacsik, Chad Cordero and Luis Ayala have held him to 2 for 27. Expect to see King against him next week: He's faced him 18 times, walked him twice, allowed a homer -- and retired him the other 16 times he's faced him.

Off to the clubhouse. Talk to you at some point.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 4, 2007; 3:21 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fun fun fun (and charity) over the weekend
Next: Get this

Comments

Good sign that McGeary's in DC! Will he be at RFK tonight? Regarding Smoker, do you have an idea how apart they are?

Posted by: Nats Fan | August 4, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I would be curious to know if Bowden feels like they're making progress in getting McGeary to sign...

Posted by: Wigi | August 4, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
I understand that Potomac will be in Frederick on Wednesday and Thursday, so its up 270 not down 95.

Posted by: HLHjr | August 4, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is hitting ahead of Church despite the oposing pitcher being a righty, I think Manny decided to nix that platoon situation as well as the Logan/Langerhans at CF platoon.

Posted by: estuartj | August 4, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope the Nats give Piniero a rude greeting to the National League. "Less superior" my Jesus Colome!!!

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | August 4, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

... Church to the 7 spot. Might this be a case of "strike out like a minor leaguer; drop a spot in the line-up"?

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 4, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I don't think striking out looking with the bases loaded and 2 out or grounding into a double play (both last night) helped his case much, though he was much better on the whole in July, but not nearly as improved in his power or disipline as Keans has been of late.

Posted by: estuartj | August 4, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm holding out for Skepticism Night.

Posted by: Michael Shermer | August 4, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I don't even like baseball.

Posted by: Richard Dawkins | August 4, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Won't matter, they're all [darned] anyway.

Posted by: J. Ratzinger | August 4, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, cut them some slack, Joe; at least they get home games.

Posted by: T. Gyatso | August 4, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm still dead.

Posted by: "Bob" Dobbs | August 4, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if I'm too old or too young to understand any of that stuff just posted?

Posted by: estuartj | August 4, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse