Thursday lineups

For the series finale, the managers have selected:

Cincinnati:
Damatrait -- 1

Washington:
Lopez -- 6
Belliard -- 4
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9 (30 RBI pre-all-star break; 14 since)
Church -- 7
Flores -- 2
Logan -- 8
Bacsik -- 1

I'll get you any news from the clubhouse.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 2, 2007; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Some minor stuff
Next: John Patterson update

Comments

... you know I just have this sense that once the trade deadline was over, the guys could forget about whatever unsettling thoughts they might have harboured in the backs of their minds, and set their sights firmly on the rest of the season. The way they've played these last two games would seem to prove my point.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 2, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Natscan, I hear ya - but I also have to respectfully counter that the Reds as an opponent has something to do with it!

The road trip to the "field as big as a Wendelstadt strike zone" in Cincy lit a fire under the Nats after they whimpered against Detroit and Atlanta, remember?

You bet I'm hoping they keep the momentum tonight and to fold the Cards this weekend!
----
The way they've played these last two games would seem to prove my point.

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 2, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it ironic that Bacsik is pitching for the Washington Nationals exactly 100 years after Walter Johnson's Nationals debut. Mike's probably about 20 mph short of the Big Train's heater. Now matter how he does it, hopefully it will be a block W in the books at the end of the game.

Posted by: 0933 | August 2, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Love it, ShawNatsFan!

---

The road trip to the "field as big as a Wendelstadt strike zone" ...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited to see what Jesus Flores can do tonight vs the left handed throwing Damatrait.

As an FYI, vs LHP Flores in hitting .319 with an OPS of .918

If I were Manny I would be tempted to move him up another slot, but that would send the wrong message to Ryan Church who is hitting pretty well lately (.263 in July with very little differential between RHPs and LHPs).

Posted by: estuartj | August 2, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post $1 Nights said, in the other thread: "We'd like to thank P-Nats fan for taking advantage of our sponsorship."

Which raises the question: Why isn't the Post sponsoring anything for the major league Nats this year? (Or if they are, please enlighten me as to what it is, since I haven't noticed it in my 13 trips to RFK this year, plus radio listening to almost every game.) It's not that they "just don't do that kind of thing" due to some bizarre journalistic ethics reasoning, either, because last year they were the sponsor on the "Get Your Red On" Curly W T-shirts handed out on the Grand RFK Reopening weekend. This year...nothing. And I'm sure they were asked - I mean, why wouldn't they have been? So why no WaPo participation in Nats stadium promotions this year? Anyone know?

Posted by: Section 419 | August 2, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Oooooh, BARRY SVRLUGA (did it get your attention?), can we buy her a tee shirt? You said you are close to the family. I will buy it on behalf of Nats Journal, but obviously you would have to order it since you know her address and probably don't want to put it on the internet.

"In a piece on the Nats site, it mentioned that Walter Johnson's daughter is a big fan of Dmitri. Perhaps she'd like a tee-shirt?"

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 2, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Do you all really want to present a sweet 84-year old woman with a T-Shirt that says "SAVE DA MEAT!" on it?

Perhaps an autographed numbered jersey would be more appropriate...

Posted by: Mick | August 2, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Mick - To your first question, YES!

To the second point,

"Perhaps an autographed numbered jersey would be more appropriate..."

You're right it would be a ton better, unfortunately mine's in the wash right now...

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 2, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Mick, my 84-year-old Aunt, the Indians fanatic, sweet though she is, might just surprise you. But I take your point. I was mostly just kidding around, although I do very much admire the good taste that Mrs. Johnson has shown in her choice of favorite player. ;)

---

Perhaps an autographed numbered jersey would be more appropriate...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

... you're probably right on this, ShawNatsFan, but I'm trying to look at it from a GHF aspect.

... tonight's the night for housekeeping. I'll be on the ice, but when I get home, I'll check the entire GameDay for signs of wonder and instances of perfection.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 2, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Mick!! LOL!!! I was thinking it would be a cute idea until I read your hilarious take on it.
Thanks for the laugh.

_____

Posted by: NatsNut | August 2, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I would think the Nats would spring for a jersey for her...

Natscan: Do you not have the mlb.tv package?? You could stay up all night and watch the archived game.

Posted by: Wigi | August 2, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I refuse to get the MLB.tv package because the games are blacked out to me (based on my subscription credit card zip code). If I could watch them real time (like the rest of the country can) I'd get it in a heartbeat. I'd really like to be able to watch the archives, too. Oh well.

Did anyone else notice that the Orioles-graphic'd truck is back parked outside RFK? That's just insulting.

Posted by: i hate walks | August 2, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the tees, congrats, Mr. 300*, you made the Bog:

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Re: John Lannan Must Die

Wow, Philly has no idea how much harm I want to do to them, every single day. Rock on John Lannan!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 2, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Yes natsfan1a - My updated "Save Da Meat" shirt was quite a hit in section 310 and 211 (sneaky) last night! It arrived just in time for the Reds to come in town!

See y'all at the park who are going to see the honoring of the Big Train!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 2, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"In other news from the same link, it would seem that there are some very twisted (pathological, perhaps) Phillies fans out there."

Dog bites man.

Wake me when they find some non-twisted, unpathological Fhilly fans. That'd be news.

Posted by: joebleux | August 2, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Hi Wigi,

... no I don't have that package. For a couple of reasons: 1/ I'm a dedicated "don't send my money thru the 'net" kind of guy, and 2/ it burns my butt to pay MLB to watch/listen to games when I can watch/listen to other sports for free.

... I realize that makes me into some sort of curmudgeon-with-blinkers. Perhaps I'll soon have to join the current millennium and sign on.

... thanx for the prod Wigi. Every one helps to break down my resolve. :)

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 2, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Wish I could be there, too. Will look forward to reading about the Johnson tribute and the Negro Leagues tribute when I get back online early next week. Have fun everybody!

p.s. I will be sporting my old school (pre-update) Dmitri tee at my next game, which sadly will not be until the next homestand.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

blasphemy...oriole graphic tv truck outside RFK....they should be happy I live so far away, for if I didn't, why I'd, I'd...oooooh, I better not say....but it better not be there on 9/23!!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | August 2, 2007 6:12 PM | Report abuse

If the truck is there then, we'll storm it, right after we storm the field. ;)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 2, 2007 6:17 PM | Report abuse

... speaking of the MLB TV package, and certainly not wanting to offer free advice to Bud and the Minions, and not knowing just how successful that marketing endeavour is for the league, I think it might be a good idea for MLB to offer a three or four game promotional package - for free - at the start of the year so people like me can experience it. Maybe I/we would be impressed enough to follow thru'.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 2, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Believe me, I am torn about the MLB.TV package (but I can't be too torn, I've bought it every year since the Nats moved to DC)... And it is not a good deal for someone in a blackout city... But the quality is pretty good... especially this year, it is better than in the past. I have my objections, I chafe at the thought of sending Bud my money... but it is either that, or watch the Nats when they play on TBS or WGN. (I've emailed a few times, and got my questions on "Ask MASN"...)

Natscan, if you get it, it'll change your life... and perhaps not for the better. Fortunately for me, the games are during the day, and the only one to get upset would be my boss, and hey, I'm self-employed.

The next step would be to get a smartphone-compatible viewer... even for the audio feeds... I am going fishing tonight, and it would be cool to be able to listen on the smartphone...

I am such a geek...

Posted by: Wigi | August 2, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

natscan -- they do offer MLB.tv for free for something like a seven day trial in April. Still, that doesn't fix the blackout problem.

So instead, I'm heading over to the pub. They have better chicken sandwiches and Yuengling than I have here at my desk ... ;)

GO GET EM TONIGHT NATS! (I'm talkin to you, Jesus Flores, Nook Logan, and Mike Bacsik)

Posted by: i hate walks | August 2, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse