Zimmerman: National League co-Player of the Week

So I don't want to detract from the discussion about the Bonds ball and Austin Kearns (or, for that matter, Ryan Church or Nook Logan, if Bonds goes oppo or straightaway). But some actual news:

Ryan Zimmerman has been named the National Leage's co-Player of the Week. He's sharing the honor with Arizona right-hander Brandon Webb, who out-dueled the Dodgers' Brad Penny yesterday, won both his starts and pitched 16 innings of shutout ball, walking two and striking out 11. A very nice week, considering the Diamondbacks also moved into first place. (We'll see them over the weekend in Phoenix. By the way, ever try packing for a San Francisco-Phoenix trip in August. High here today will be 58. High on Friday in Phoenix will be 104. Makes the 93 degrees it is in D.C. today feel a bit balmy.)

Anyway, Zimmerman. Let's review his stats from those six games over the past week, shall we:

6 G, .519 (14 for 27), .536 OBP, .889 slugging percentage, 4 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBI, 7 runs -- not to mention the game-winning hits on Friday and Sunday.

This could be remembered as the week when Zimmerman salvaged his season. He entered those six games hitting .259 with a .312 on-base percentage and a .427 slugging percentage. That one hot streak later, and he's at .274(+15)/.324(+12)/.455(+28).

Zimmerman is now on pace for 25 homers (five more than last year), 89 RBI (21 fewer than last year), and 39 doubles (eight fewer than last year).

Other news: First-round pick Ross Detwiler, the lefty from Missouri State, will start Thursday for Class A Potomac in a game at Frederick.

Also: Remember Jerome Williams? The Nationals released him from Class AA Harrisburg today. Dude went 0-5 with a 7.20 ERA and had two stints on the disabled list for the Nats. He then went 0-3 with a 9.08 ERA in 14 appearances, just four starts, for Harrisburg. Reliever Dan Kolb also released. Reliever Adam Carr was one of two players (along with infielder Brandon Powell) promoted from Class A Potomac. Carr is 3-1 with a 1.81 ERA and 13 saves for Potomac.

And from the Self-Promotional Department: I'll be on Washington Post Radio (1500 AM/107.7 FM) at 5:50 p.m. your time to talk about Bonds/the Nats/Zimmerman/the winning streak, etc. I'll then be on "Washington Post Live" on Comcast SportsNet at 6 p.m. to talk about the Nats. Ken Rosenthal will also appear on that show, I believe right at 5 p.m. or so.

I'll get you lineups and scene and stuff from AT&T Park.

By Barry Svrluga  |  August 6, 2007; 3:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What would you do with 756?
Next: Frank's here (plus your lineups)

Comments

"Makes the 93 degrees it is in D.C. today feel a bit balmy"

Yeah, right. It's not the heat, it's the humidity. We've got tons of that here now.

Posted by: i hate walks | August 6, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Powell and Carr. Wow that really stinks for Potomac pitching staff! Baeza is now the only one left!

Posted by: NatsFan | August 6, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Zimm! And as a reward he gets to escape the sauna for a few days. Thanks also for the news from the farm, Barry.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Layers, Barry, wear layers.

Congrats to RZ for co-player of the week.

Oh, and if you need a place for a bite to eat and an adult beverage, try the 21st Amendment at 563 Second Street, 2-3 blocks uphill from the ballpark.

Posted by: Section 502 | August 6, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

That's the 21st Amendment in San Francisco. In Phoenix you might try Alice Cooperstown.

Yes, that's it's name, and it is co-owned by Randy 'Big Unit' Johnson and Phoenix native Alice Cooper. (www.alicecooperstown.com)

Posted by: Section 502 (clarifying) | August 6, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Zimm! Reposted from last thread...

Here's a food for thought article on Slate.com today that I thought many of you would find worth the 5 minutes to read it and think about it.

What if Doping Were Legal?
A Slate thought experiment.
By Daniel Engber
Posted Monday, Aug. 6, 2007, at 11:39 AM ET
It's been a rough stretch for pro sports. Last Thursday, Barry Bonds faced boos--and even a steroids awareness seminar--as he tried to break the all-time home run record in Los Angeles. The next day, Cleveland Browns offensive tackle Ryan Tucker was suspended from the NFL for using steroids. And we're just a week removed from the shameful drug haze at this year's Tour de France. We've reached a crisis point, it seems, when it comes to performance-enhancing drugs. But what if none of this cheating mattered? With your help, I'm going to conduct a little thought experiment: What would the sports world look like if every athlete could inject himself with God knows what?

The premise isn't new. After the Olympic doping scandals of the late 1990s, International Olympic Committee president Juan Antonio Samaranch tested the waters of drug legalization in an interview with a Spanish newspaper. "Doping now is everything that, firstly, is harmful to an athlete's health and, secondly, artificially augments his performance," he said. "If it's just the second case, for me that's not doping." But his proposal (if that's what it was) went over like a lead balloon. Sports officials sputtered about the spirit of competition, and doctors argued that legal doping would never be safe for the athletes. Within a few days, Samaranch backed off.
Read More here...

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 6, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

SNL already imagined it for us:

Posted by: Mick | August 6, 2007 3:52 PM | Report abuse

ShawNatsFan, Daniel Engber's article asks: "How would it feel to be a fan?"

To me it would feel as it did in the 1995-98 seasons, which culminated in the hopping up of ball and players to create a nonsensical home run derby.

That is to say, I would scarcely feel it at all, because I would be so gone.

And in this respect, that's Prude with a capital P, Mr. Engber. Sticks and stones, and all that.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

The press release for the P-Nats says that two of the 4 top draft picks for the Nats now play for Potomac, I guess the other two are Zim and Wilems (A-VT). How long till marrero (and Daniels?) Move up to Harrisburg?

Also, do we expect all our top pitchers to finish out their years in VT?

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Zimm!! Great to see our boy get some national recognition. When I saw "co-player of the week" I thought maybe Meat shared it, but after reading about Webb? Wow. Glad he got it too.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 6, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

So Barry - Care to to go double or nothing on that "buck sez" from last week's chat? 70 wins is looking much better now ...

Posted by: Solla Sollew, VA | August 6, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I was beginning to worry that Ryan Zimmerman wasn't the star we had all imagined, that he might "just" be a solid supporting player.

Anyone who can do what he did in just six games has the talent to be a star. How good will he be? .300-30-120 seems like a typical year for the kid.

Posted by: Farid @ Beltway Boys | August 6, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I looked at the remaining schedule again today and I honestly believe that .500 will come down to the last week, say if they can go 3-3 or 4-2 vs the phillies and Mets the last 6...

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Solla Sollew, VA | August 6, 2007 04:13 PM

Boy, aren't we all on the banks of the Beautiful River Wah-hoo without any troubles (at least, very few) these days. This is much more fun than April. Go Nats, stay hot!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 6, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Farid,
That may be a little high on the avg. and RBIs, but one great thing is that even when he wasn't playing that great early in the year he still had good BBvsSO numbers for a power guy. I think he"l also end up near the top of the Total Bases race.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Barry, it would be nice if somebody (hint, hint) could query Rosenthal as to why he thought the Nats should have traded Cordero and Rauch. Since he believed they should have traded them, he must have inside knowledge that they were offered decent value. If he doesn't know what they were offered, then on what basis does he assert they were wrong in not dealing the pair?

Bowden is just supposed to do the other GM's bidding, lest he "irritate" them, to use Rosenthal's word. Frankly, Rosenthal is beginning to "Olney" me these days.

Posted by: tomterp | August 6, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Had this thought awhile ago, but forgot it until just now.

I was watching a game and it was a tie in late innings. There were no outs. Zim hit a double and then Dmitri got up to bat. This was very similar to the situation in the All-Star game when Bonds went for the fence and got a fly out that Reyes couldn't advance on. Dmitri hit a grounder down the first base line and was put out unassisted, but got Zimmerman to third.

I felt overjoyed, because we had a power hitter on the team who was the opposite of Barry Bonds: willing to avoid the flashy chance at being a hero in order to help the team win.

In response to Barry Bonds impending record breaking hit, I propose we all tell stories of the best team players we've seen in baseball. It would make me feel a lot better.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | August 6, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

And 506, I love Dmitri's quote on the subject - "whoop-dee-doo".

Sounds to me lik he's got the right attitude for really smacking that tater around this week in SF.

Posted by: tomterp | August 6, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Tomterp, I agree - I think the whole team, led by Young, are using all this Bonds hype to get themselves in a "we'll show you" mindset.

Who cares if Bonds hits one or not, we're here to win ballgames and show everyone how good they really are.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Having grown up a Pittsburgh fan, no player then or since has struck me so forcefully as a team player as did the late Willie Stargell.

Dancer13 and others, remember "Stargell Stars"? He awarded one of those cap-adornments starting in the late 70's whenever a teammate made a vital contribution to a Pirates win. I don't remember that anyone ever turned one down, and I don't remember that he ever took one for himself.

It would be great if a native Pittsburgher on this blog could share a memory of an encounter with Stargell. I never enjoyed that privilege, but I never heard of a bad one.

Stargell was more than a powerful athlete who led his team to two World Championships. He played baseball as hard as you could ask for, but never forgot that it was supposed to be fun. He was a fan favorite, a mentor, and a mensch (at least as this card-carrying gentile understands the term). He was taken from us too soon, so soon that I still am given a bit of a pause when I remember that he's gone.

Thanks for all you did for the Bucs and their fans, Pops. And thanks to 506 for evoking the memory.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

As a former O's fan, I recall Stargell with disdain. Not for the ballplayer and inspirational force behind the Bucs 1979 run to the championship, but for elevating Sister Sledge "We are Family" to still haunt me to this day.

Go Nats!

Posted by: Yo Willie | August 6, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Chicken on the Hill with Will!

Posted by: joebleux | August 6, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Yo Willie: so that home run that put away game 7 of the '79 World Series doesn't haunt you at all?

I can still see that one in my mind's eye -- sweet, smooth swing, and POP -- bye-bye O's...

Posted by: joebleux | August 6, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

"Chicken on the Hill with Will!"

Joebleux, you give me chills again. I can still hear the Gunner, Pirates play-by-play man Bob Prince -- another man I miss deeply -- issuing that call on KDKA whenever Stargell cranked one.

For whatever it's worth, Stargell wore uniform number 8. There must be something in that number.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Any word on F.Lop's knee?

If he can't go I guess we'll see more of Jiminez, but I'm curious if he'll lead off. With the way Nook has been swinging the bat it would be interesting to see how he'd do with Belliard and Zimmerman hitting behind him instead of Lannan.

If not that maybe moving him to 9th in the line-up, ala LaRossa. It's not like Scjneider could do much worse with the bat with the pitcher behing him than he does with Logan.

Nah.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

To comment on the Bonds thing...

Barry Bonds, and the other steroid-addled sluggers that have cheated their way into the record books have taken two of the most hallowed baseball records and turned them into meaningless numbers. Perhaps A-Rod will break the record someday, but his greatness won't be diminished if he doesn't make it, because the number will soon be artificially high.

To that end, how is Bonds pursuit of the record relevant to the Nats? The smart team will find an advantage, because the home-field experience for the Giants has become a sideshow. The Nats have a job to do... win the games.

Not to mention... There are few parks that are more difficult to hit a home run in than RFK... but AT&T just happens to be one of them.

Just go out and shut them down.

As for Zimm... Awesome, dude!

Posted by: Wigi | August 6, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Well said Wigi.

Hey Lannan, Bean him.

Posted by: Hank Aaron | August 6, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Reposting from an earlier thread, because we need to be reminded.

Natscan entreats: "Please pray that Barry whiffs each time, so they [TSN?] show the whole series." (TSN, or whoever, is covering the Giants in Canada as long as it takes for Everybody's Favorite Giant to get it over with.)

For Natscan's sake, extending the span of Nats visibility is a worthy hope.

But you know what? I really don't give a rat's if a Nats pitcher does pull an Al Downing in SF. Because you know what else? That unlucky man is gonna climb back up the hill, and he's gonna try to get the next batter out, and the Nats are gonna battle on.

That's the way our guys have been working this season. That's as it should be. The lesson may be lost on those who gape at gaudy numbers, and to whom Bud and the Lords have been pandering in the post-strike years.

Too bad for them. It ain't lost on us. Thanks, guys.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I am psyched... I get to actually watch the Nats on TV!

Posted by: Wigi | August 6, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I had convinced a buddy to get together at his house tonight to watch the game on HD. He was completely convinced until I got to the part where I'd come over about 10pm.

Guess I'll have to watch it on regular old low-def, but at least I can watch from the comfort of my own bed.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

... I'm with you Wigi. The game starts at 11:15 my time, and I'm up for it.

... Hendo, the Canadian broadcaster is Rogers Sportsnet. They have the rights to the Blue Jays and ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball in Canada ... this year anyway.

... Go Lannan; Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | August 6, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Time to focus -tonight's story: Nats go for seven

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | August 6, 2007 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Natscan. thanks for the clarification.

In the words of Boz Scaggs, one more for the road.

In the words of me: Oh you Nats!

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen the line-up for tonight?

O'm dying to know if Lopez is starting and if not who is leading off....

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the home run, I can still see it, just as I can see Eddie Murray's long fly out with the bases jammed that would have won it.

Posted by: Yo Willie | August 6, 2007 9:43 PM | Report abuse

According to MLB, no Felipe -

Logan
Belliard
Zimmerman
Young
Kearns
Church
Schneider
Jimenez
Lannan

Posted by: Greg | August 6, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Bad news about Lopez, I'm interested to see how Logan does in the lead off role. Having Belliard and Zimmerman batting behind him should help a lot, but I hope he isn't afraid to bunt for a base hit if the third baseman doesn't play him in.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm also interested in how Jiminez does with the bat. How many games has he started this year, 3? Seems he might be a better everyday guy than bench player.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

estuartj, if the numbers I see on MLB.com are right, Jimenez hasn't started any games. That jibes with my recollection.

He needs work, and evaluation. He'll get it now. Good luck, DJ.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

I would have sworn he started one of the games against the Mets last weekend.

Posted by: estuartj | August 6, 2007 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Hi guys,

I'm still catching up with blogs from while I was away, but I seem to recall that Jimenez started at least one of the games of the day-night doubleheader at Shea last month.

p.s. Hendo, I gave a Sa-lute to Wheeling, WV for you as we passed through.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 6, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I might be in the wrong thread on this (still catching up, as previously noted), but I'm with Dmitri re. the other Barry: big whoop-de-[RF-ing]-do. Let's just play ball...

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 6, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I didn't look at all the lines at MLB.com. In fact, DJ has started four games at second.

We regret the error. BTW, natsfan1a, thanks for the Wheeling feeling.

Posted by: Hendo | August 6, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the low-def is making me see things... Did that sign behind Lannan warming up say "You are in last place. Just pitch to Barry."?? Hello?! Have they looked at their own record lately? They have four fewer wins than us.

Posted by: JennX | August 6, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Nice start to the game; too bad to only plate one. But yikes, two up became two on real quick...

I'm hoping to keep the Bonds chase the whole series to get some national air time (everywhere except DC that is). I'm not dissing the Carp and Sutton, but I would like to hear what the national audience is hearing about the Nats.

Bonds coming up now...

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | August 6, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Bean him, Lannan!

Posted by: Hank Aaron | August 6, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

JennX: Waiting for some people to show class (or sense) is like waiting for an elephant to lay eggs.

Posted by: Hendo | August 7, 2007 5:45 AM | Report abuse