Lineups

Anybody coming out here tonight?

Marlon Anderson suspended by MLB for actions when he got ejected against Philadelphia. Mets showing all the signs of imploding -- including holding a closed-door meeting. You shoulda seen the look on Omar Minaya's face last night as the Nationals were scoring 12 unanswered.

Mets:

Pena -- 7
Kearns -- 9
Belliard -- 4
Fick -- 3
Schneider -- 2
Hanrahan -- 1

Dmitri Young still not ready to go, and Manny Acta couldn't or wouldn't give a timetable. Cristian Guzman took batting practice -- thrown by Acta -- and Jim Bowden would really like him to play before the end of the season. Not sure exactly why.

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 18, 2007; 6:01 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Didn't Make the Paper: Playing Out the String Edition
Next: One year ago

Comments

I'd love to see Guz back out there, if nothing else just to get some mental health games in befor he goes to Venezuela for winter ball.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

It might also help in Arbitration with Lopez if Guzman starts the last 10 games or so. If Guz is the starting SS and Belliard is at 2nd, how much is an underperforming utility infielder worth, regardless of how many games he played?

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

How was Manny's pitching? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 18, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was obvious why he wanted Guzman to play more this year. He signed him to a terrible contract.

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 18, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean that Bowden might be looking to trade Guz? A great year interrupted by an injury, if Guz shows he's back to form (2007 form), then he could net some prospects. The Orioles are looking to offload Tejada, maybe they would trade someone for Guz...

Bowden's a crafty one, always coming in from the side. I think this offseason will be just as exciting as the regular season.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | September 18, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Either Guz or FLop get's moved before opening day nexy year.

Posted by: sec 224 | September 18, 2007 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Hanrahan is a bum. I am glad he's getting his opportunity so that he can very soon be sent on his way.

Nat's are going to have a hard time getting past 70 wins if they keep trotting this loser out there.

Posted by: Ed | September 18, 2007 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Ouch - that was a tough first inning.

Posted by: Patty | September 18, 2007 7:30 PM | Report abuse

That was a great snag by Zim, if he'd missed that it might have left a 3 ft hole coming out.

How many of Zim's errors are fielding vs. throwing?

It's a Gold Glove, not a gold arm - right?

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Alright! Hopefully Kearns has sparked some hitting.

Posted by: Patty | September 18, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Belli, Belli, Belli!!!!

Do we need a base running coach?

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Man oh man is Nook fast, he was rounding 2nd before that ball hit the ground.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Estuartj-

Davey Lopes certainly didn't help with stolen bases in the past. We have a lot fewer caught stealings this year, including pickoffs.

Posted by: Scrub fan | September 18, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

How was that not out of here? I 395 ft smack, caught at the 380 marker (and no that isn't a typo).

The kid can hit, no doubt about that....

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scrub, not being mean, but can you clear that up for me? You made no sense.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure these are the METS we're playing?!?

I don't recognize them.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 18, 2007 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Belliard!!

I love these guys!

Posted by: JennX | September 18, 2007 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I love the sound of New Yorkers shutting up.

Posted by: Union Station | September 18, 2007 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Belli, Belli, Belli!

There was no doubt about that shot, he got all of that and then some.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Dear New York Metropolitans,
It's been lovely seeing you again. I'm so glad you could make it to town to play our little team just days before we leave this stadium forever. It's been grand. I know our whole team really appreciates being able to see such a high caliber team as yourselves play in a game that has playoff implications. We're thrilled to be able to play a part in your quest to the World Series.
Hugs and kisses,
Manuel Elia Acta
p.s. Thanks, Willie, for teaching me how to be relentlessly optimistic. It's really affected both teams.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 18, 2007 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Kearns, Belliard and now Jimenez all go deep, maybe J-Max can't hit...his seems like a routine fly ball after those last two shots.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Finally got home after softball night in Va. Half my team are Mets fans so we stopped off to watch the game with the Mets up before the Nats big inning. That shut them up too, and they're not too happy going into the playoffs.

Who would've thought, maybe they won't be in 'em!?

Let's go Nats! C'mon Rauch!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | September 18, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

[RF], Chad is wicked tonight!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 18, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Damn you 506, don't jinx him!

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

And now, ladies and gentlement, our own Cardiac Chad Cordero.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 18, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Too late! The...

Posted by: Ed | September 18, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I am so, so, so sorry

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 18, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Cardiac, yes - but Save number 35 none the less.

Posted by: estuartj | September 18, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Cardiac Cordero...

YEAH!!! Bang, Zoom go the fireworks!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | September 18, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Must... find... paper... bag... to... breath... in.... :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 18, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Well, bringing a group of 8 newbies to catch the Nats tomorrow and Thursday night.

Those of you who question coming to the park, you might want to know there's some great deals on craigslist for tix, so get out there!

Nice weather and nice efforts from our gang. SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP (oops, shhhhh)

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | September 18, 2007 10:24 PM | Report abuse

WOW. I poured myself a drink before the start of the ninth sort of as a joke, but I ended up slurping it down.

BTW, I entertained myself during the latter half of the game by reading the Mets fan message boards on their MLB site. Amazing to watch their plunge from 1st inning exuberance to utter despair. I kinda feel for them, but not so much that I'm not super psyched about the last two nights!

Posted by: JennX | September 18, 2007 10:30 PM | Report abuse

And the Post of the Game Award goes to Union Station for ...

"I love the sound of New Yorkers shutting up."

Posted by: SuicideSqueeze | September 18, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

There are many closers who do not do well when they are inserted into non-save situations, but Cardiac Cordero seems to take this to an additional extreme, in that he doesn't get interested in bearing down until the winning run is either on base or at least at bat.

With that said, he's ours, and he's fine in my book. All closers have to do is get three outs in the ninth while protecting a lead. How many starters or relievers can get three outs with nobody on in the first inning they appear? Lots. Hence the need, for most teams, to simply have an even-keeled guy that can do that 25 times out of 30 without letting any previous night's failure to get to him on the following night.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 18, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, SuicideSqueeze. Union Station FTW!!!1! I even repeated that awesome post out loud to my BF.

Posted by: JennX | September 18, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I just got home. I can't believe my eyes!! How awesome is this? 506, wasn't it you who said a couple times all we need is one game in each series, plus 2-3 sprinkled here or there to beat last year's record? Well, looks like we got one sprinkle, my friend.
Ya'll should be glad I wasn' here for Cordero's performance. Ida been rantin' all up and down this site. Probably woulda got kicked off, I'm getting so foul over him. He's the one player I love to hate.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 18, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the Marlins lost, and that other team, you know, the one up north. Nighty-night and sweet dreams!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 18, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Curt Schilling for the TV cameras (MLB Blooper DVD): "I'm not sure I can think of any scenario more enjoyable than making 55,000 people from New York shut up."

Posted by: NatsNut | September 18, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

just got back from the game. now that was fun.

Posted by: gretchen | September 18, 2007 11:08 PM | Report abuse

So, at the top of this post Barry asked "Anybody coming out here tonight?" Well, I didn't make it tonight myself. I was there last night, but you can't catch 'em all unless someone's paying you to, eh? However I did listen to Charlie and Dave for the whole thing tonight as I did my errands around the house. I do have to wonder, though, was the Washington Post there tonight? Seems to me that the second straight come-from-behind drubbing of a first-place team in the process of an end-of-the-pennant-race meltdown would merit above-the-fold coverage on page one of tomorrow morning's Sports section. But will it? I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does, but I'm not holding my breath...

Posted by: Section 419 | September 18, 2007 11:15 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut, you're right, that was me who said we needed some more here or there. As an update here, we're still on a tight course for our own private magic number. That number is four, which would give us 72 wins on the year, or one more than last year's Nats. There are 3 series left on the year, so we're going to have to find it in us to win one of those series (or tie verses Philly, or beat the Mets again tomorrow), plus avoid ever being swept in order to hit that mark.

5-6 for the rest of the season, okay gang? This is more important than beating the Fish or the Birds, who we don't really want to be compared to in the future anyway. We want 2006 -- with Alfonso Soriano's record-setting year, and with names like Anderson, Byrd, Ward, Vidro, Guillen, Hernandez, Ortiz, Armas -- to be the LOW point in Washington Nationals history.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 18, 2007 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Just watching Baseball [In New York and Boston] Tonight and the coverage from the Mets' point of view (of course). ESPN blamed everything on the Mets collapse. Maybe last night, buddy (though only 1 run off all those errors), but not tonight. They just got beat.

Quote of the broadcast: "So the Mets fall apart again, against what really is a second division team."

Get used to it, ESPN-holes, you're going to hear a lot more from us.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 18, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

[expletive] ESPN.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 18, 2007 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I am starting to dislike the BTN crew myself. What's up with the lead in to any Nats hightlight "Its the Nats... Yes the Nats"? I just want to smack that guy whenever he says it.

Posted by: Nats Fan in KC | September 18, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

OK, Can I get an extra ticket for Sunday. I went Saturday night and tonight and if Sunday is anything like those two, I will definitely have to bring my cardiologist along.

BTW, if the Nats pick up 5 or 6 wins in what remains, they will look to go back to Viera with a serious swagger and will make sure that Atlanta is looking over their shoulders, to say nothing of working on the minds of the Mets and Phillies.

Posted by: Catcher50 | September 18, 2007 11:48 PM | Report abuse

...and to say nothing of the delightful prospects of oft-derided Washington teams crushing Philadelphia fan hopes TWICE in a single week.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 18, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Is this an awesome headline or what? (mlb.com?)

Nats go Belli-yard to drive stake in Mets' heart

Posted by: NatsNut | September 18, 2007 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Barry, if you read this post please give us a Ross I-pitched-all-of-one-inning-in-Sept Detweiler update when you get a chance. Thanks!

Posted by: mm | September 19, 2007 12:11 AM | Report abuse

I was at the game last night - a great crowd for a Tuesday school-night and they just erupted for the Nats at all the right times. Reminded me of the crowd at Fenway.

Posted by: flynnie | September 19, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hi guys!! I've been reading this blog all season and have really enjoyed your passionate comments on our beloved Nats. I'm an old school fan from the Senators' days but I can't restrain myself any longer. Here's my two cents on a couple of topics:

1 -- Did you catch that hilarious Bob Carpenter bit on J-Max's long drive? "See you later . . . oops!!!" Like a lot of you, I can't stomach much more of him prematurely calling plays. I'm also sick of him doing Sutton's analysis ("struck him out on a back door slider," etc.). That's NOT play-by-play. He goes WAY beyond his PBP more than any other TV guy I've heard in 40 years. PLEASE!!!! Stan, do not bring this thinks-he-knows-it-all phony back next year.

2 -- Willy Mo?? That's a no-brainer!! He's clearly shown that he deserves to be the opening day LFer next year. He's only 25 and should put up some monster numbers in the new park. Like a lot of you guys, I was very skeptical at first about WMP. But Bowden deserves a ton of credit on this one.

3 -- Finally, this is one of only a few gripes that I have about Manny, but it's a BIG one. What is this fascination with FLop??? I know he's known him for years, but I've HAD ENOUGH of his lack of hustle, attitude, lackadaisical play, etc. Lopez should not start for the rest of the season. IMO Jimenez deserves a full opportunity at SS based on his recent play. I only hope that Lopez is not offered arbitration this winter. Bowden should try to acquire a SS through trade (perhaps COL's Clint Barmes) to go along with Guzzie for '08. It'll probably be a couple of years before any of our MI prospects are ready.

Posted by: Hondo69 | September 19, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse