Minor minor news

I'm going to do a complete minor league wrap-up post -- perhaps this weekend, though Vermont is still playing -- but I thought I'd pass on this smidgen of news from this afternoon.

One of the Nationals' two Dominican Summer League teams won the league's championship with a 5-3 victory in the third and final game today, beating the Yankees. Marcos Frias, 18 years old, got the win. Carlos Peralta got the save.

With that, I offer a not-very-surprising Nationals lineup for tonight's matchup with John Smoltz.

Washington:
Logan -- 8
Lopez - 6
Zimmerman -- 5
Young -- 3
Kearns -- 9
Pena -- 7
Belliard -- 4
Schneider -- 2
Hanrahan -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 7, 2007; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Position by position: Third base
Next: No-what?

Comments

Hey Barry -- Boz had this to say in today's chat, can you let us know whether Bobby goes bald if the Nats win tonight?

"The day the Nats came home to play the Giants last Friday, they had lost six in a row. Bowden was aggitating Zimmerman about a beard he was growing. Ryan said he was growing it to change their luck or wouldn't shave until they had won three in a row, etc. Bowden said, "If you guys win three in a row, I'LL start growing a beard." Zim answered: "If we win six in a row, will you cut your hair." (Forgotten if he said "shave" or a crew cut. I wasn't paying much attention since I didn't think they'd win six in a row.) Of course, Bowden said, "Yes." The Nats go for six wins in a row tonight. Don't know if Bowden or Zimmerman remember."

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 7, 2007 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Garr, I was writing this as Barry posted!

"estuartj, what a beautiful vision. I hope we are now seeing the seeds being planted of that day occurring in 5 - 10 years.

"Dating a Cubs fan from Missouri gives me a lot to think about this issue of team following. She's a Cardinals hater (that ol NL Midwestern rivalry), but she doesn't take much time to follow the Cubs and neither does her father, who is from Chicago. He keeps up on how they're doing and watches WGN, but has never taken her to Wrigley and doesn't even go himself anymore.

"She's become attached to the Nats because of their scrappy play and great attitudes. She loves Meat Hook and Manny and Zimmerman and even feels really bad for Lopez because she "thinks he is nice, just really frustrated."

"The point is, she's become attached to the Nats because of what they are doing right now. But when we went on the 4th, she still got dressed up Cubs-style. The only thing was that she was more excited when Chico got ahead in the count than when one of the Cubs got a hit. I could tell she was trying to cheer for her team and really wanted them to win, but there's something very special about these Nats.

"I think this is the relationship of DC residents to the Nationals at this time. It's a place with a very diverse group of people who all have different loyalties. But I think that the way the Nats play now is appealing to these other fans and is setting the ground.

"And I think what's needed to push them over the edge is that contending team. 2005 proved that people are willing to get on the bandwagon and that was with no owner, no stadium, no prospects, no player security, and no groundwork. Now that we have all of those things, what will 2009 do for our team?"

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 7, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

506, Were you and she at Tuesday's game, moved down to section 409, you with a curly W cap and she with a Cubs hat?

Posted by: Traveler | September 7, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Nats system trumps Yanks...again. We did it in the 06 regular season 2-1, and apparently in the Dominican series 2-1. The future is bright. Lets win tonite.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 7, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

DSL Nats1 actually won the series 3 games to 2

Posted by: Brian | September 7, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Alas, not us on Tuesday!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 7, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Boz also wrote in his chat (typos corrected):

"Tom Boswell: This is a point of much discussion in baseball. If everything is in readiness, it's quite possible that baseball will break tradition and have its season-opening game in Washington on Sunday night. Then, perhaps Mayor Fenty could turn the weekend into a (mini) All-Star game-like celebration of the new park.

(You read it here first?)

If so, the Nats would then go on the road immediately so that any kinks in the new park could be ironed out over a 10-day period before Game 2."

Given DC's status as the Nation's Capital, I wouldn't be surprised if the "season-opening game," whether it be the MLB Sunday night game or just the Nats' first game of the season were always held in DC from now on. Thoughts?

Posted by: Juan-John | September 7, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

It used to always be that way... the Presidential Opener... The Senators and the Reds would be the only teams playing at home on the first day of the season. I think that there was some discussion back in 2005 (I asked about it, I know) that it won't happen anymore...

The scenario Boz spelled out would suck for me... because I take a week off to come for opening day... coming for just one game would be... bad.

Posted by: Wigi | September 7, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

I just get used to being able to find the link to the Journal in one place and poof ...

Whoever is in charge of such things should make the link to the Nats Journal easy to find -- not hide it.

Posted by: amb141 | September 7, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

When natsfan1b was visiting from Chi-town last week, we noticed quite a few fans in their Cubbies gear at RFK (on Sat. and Sun.). She was wearing her Nats gear, as was I, but we did each sport our Nats and Cubs baseball seam sister-fan bracelets.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 7, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

That fashion statement was posted in the context of Traveler's query and Sect. 506's reply. Gotta remember the snippets...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 7, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry Barry but it can not be said any better than when Section 419 said:

--It's understandable why the Post caters to these folks, because it's afraid they might cancel their subscriptions if the O's aren't in there. But it's absurd for the Post to justify that on the basis that this is a "two team market" as Boswell did in his chat today.--

One of my first, of many, emails to various Post personnel regarding its coverage of the orioles elicited a response from Emilio Garcia-Ruiz. I pointed out, as Section 419 did, that if the Post makes a business decision to cover the o's to keep subscribers, who are o's fans, happy that is understandable. E G-R's April 2005 response to me was the first time I heard of the two team market drivel being used as a basis for continuing to cover the o's. He said the Post elected to follow the "model of other two team markets".

It's interesting that many Washington area fans are so willing to embrace a Baltimore team as "their" team whereas no self respecting Baltimore fan would be caught dead rooting for Washington. When the Colts left in 1984 there was no equivalent rush by Baltimore fans to the Redskins who were quite good in those days. As much as I've complained (or whined as Barry prefers to characterize it), I've always admired fans that live in and around Baltimore for knowing what it means to root for the home team. If more Washington area fans had the Baltimore attitude, there would be no need for this debate.

Posted by: Natstivity1959 | September 7, 2007 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Jose Rijo!!!

The best source for Nats minor league news is the Nationals Farm Authority, if you want to get more details later. Hopefully some of these kids from DSL Nats1 will make their way up to A ball next year, and Jose Rijo can reload the DSL teams with a fresh crop of eager dominican teenagers.

The Nats had no DSL teams last year, and this year had two. Immediately, one won the championship. When folks want to be skeptical about The Plan, please remember this success- the devotion to that plan apparently runs deep to the Caribbean level.

Now let's take Asia! Go Nats!

Posted by: Scrub fan | September 7, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

I started off on the extreme "get the Orioles out of the Washington Post" side of this, but honestly, I'm so sick of this nonstop whining that I'm ready to write a letter to the editor demanding more Orioles coverage and requesting a fifteen part autobiography of the great Peter Angelos.

Posted by: joebleux | September 7, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Ummm, I meant "biography", but now that I think about it, "autobiography" is even better.

Posted by: joebleux | September 7, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

5 in a row! 5 in a row!

Posted by: Jason | September 7, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Scrubs fan, I like your moniker. That is all...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 7, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe they're just afraid I'll sue 'em...

Posted by: Peter Angelos | September 7, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Manny Acta says, "No fireworks for you!" And then he glares everyone sans Ross Detwiler into a state of shame.

Hey, Ryan Zimmerman? Want to break my heart a little more trying to throw a runner out at first?

Posted by: Atlanta | September 8, 2007 12:14 AM | Report abuse