Nationals lineup

Phillies in town. This is fun, being in the race, isn't it? Each game is important. The players -- I was talking to a bunch of them during BP yesterday -- definitely feel it. They don't even mind if some Philly fans show up tonight because it'll just add more atmosphere to the place -- and give Nats fans someone to shout down.

With that, tonight's lineup. Only two notable things -- Ryan Church gets the start in center field, and Dmitri Young's still not ready to go. Robert Fick is 7 for his last 15 over the past five games, raising his average from .213 to .234.

Lopez -- 6 (three hits last night, made an outstanding play, better energy recently)
Belliard -- 4 (hits in his last 13 starts (but not a hitting streak because of failed pinch-hit appearance Sunday)
Zimmerman -- 5 (modest six-game hitting streak gets him to .269; can he finish over .270?)
Pena -- 7
Church -- 8 (10 for his last 26 (including three homers) to get to .266/.342/.450)
Kearns -- 9 (4 for his last 23 to get to .264/.350/.408)
Fick -- 3
Schneider -- 2
Bergmann -- 1

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 20, 2007; 1:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ode to RFK -- and Burgess earns honor
Next: Hill's surgery scheduled

Comments

Go Nats! Get those Frillies!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 20, 2007 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, goooooooooooo Naaaaaaaaaaats!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow... how much does it have to be bothering DaMeat to watch the last home games of the season from the bench? Speaking as one who's suffered from his own share of concussions, I hope he gets better in time to play over the weekend. He deserves the ovation he'd inevitably receive.

Posted by: MKevin | September 20, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

When do the RFK lots stop charging at the gate (if ever)?

If DL 6510 from Atlanta gets into National on time, I might come out for the last few innings, but not if I have to cough up $15 for an hour or so.

Posted by: Hendo | September 20, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hendo, if some of our more casual fans have cleared out by then (I got out of work late and came to the game in the 3rd inning on Tuesday, and there were already fans returning to Metro... of course they missed an amazing comeback!), you may also be able to nab one of the street spots right across from the stadium.

When leaving pretty quickly after the last out, I've often noticed that some of them are empty, meaning they could be available for late arrivers.

Posted by: faNATic | September 20, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Meat Hook feels better. REALLY SOON.

Let's hope both the Mets and Phillies lose tonight. And tomorrow. And the day after that. And Sunday. And Monday. And... :-)

Slightly OT, but does anybody know how fast other new ballparks sold out, if at all, in the months leading up to their opening? Dunno why, and I may be completely wrong on this, but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion the Learners may have overestimated the market.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 20, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

"Dunno why, and I may be completely wrong on this, but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion the Learners may have overestimated the market."

Two thoughts:

1. the current season is still not over. Give it some time for the winter months to fester in the hearts of baseball fans. When the countdown to pitchers and catchers reporting kicks in in January I bet those numbers go up.

2. I think if they've erred it's in their price structure and seating plan in the new park. It's gotten too expensive too quickly for the everyday fan to get good seats.

Posted by: MKevin | September 20, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Re low-cost parking options for late arrivals, faNATic suggests: "you may also be able to nab one of the street spots right across from the stadium."

Excellent suggestion. But what street? Seems to me if I tried it on 19th Street, my MX-5 would swiftly meet the business end of a tow hook. (Isn't that one of those streets that bears the sign "No Parking During RFK Events"?)

Posted by: Hendo | September 20, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping after last night that Church would get Pena's spot in the outfield. Hopefully WMP does a better job fielding tonight.

If we win tonight, then the Mets are welcome to lose. We're only 3 games up in the race for 4th place and the Mets face the Fishies now.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | September 20, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Hendo:

True, and I hadn't considered that possibility. Notably, it would only take a petite tow hook to take care of or do in your pretty little MX-5 (nice car, btw), so it'd be best to avoid all tow hook contact whatsoever. I was actually literally thinking of the street adjoining RFK - 22nd Street, right behind the Armory. While I must admit that my attention to the signs has been somewhat lax since I normally Metro (and walk to the far exit after all games), I routinely see people exiting the stadium and getting into cars parked in those few spots.

Posted by: faNATic | September 20, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"(Say, "Coverage is lacking", you wouldn't happen to be female and hot, would you? You are? So, do you have a date for the final game at RFK yet? We could ditch those losers at the NJ tailgate and go have us some real pregame fun, y'know what I mean?)"

Just wanted to point out, Section 419 made a very good proposition. A hot female named "coverage is lacking" and in love with baseball is just the sort of date any guy would want!

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 20, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Church in for WMP? Nook single handedly killed the game last night with his 3 Ks(two looking) and a GIDP? Get. Him. Outta. There.

Posted by: 1938FratStreet | September 20, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the clarification, faNATic. It can't hurt to try!

In any event, given the air travel system's performance lately, I may be lucky to land by the post-game call-in show. Wish me luck.

Posted by: Hendo | September 20, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

on a principle basis - i feel the ticket prices are way to expensive to accommodate the people that actually attend the games. instead, they are expecting the average washingtonian and suburban people to come out with their big pockets. reasonable assumption? rich town, new stadium, new team - maybe?

but for most of the people that have cheered the nats since 2005, i feel they are pricing them out. including me. I went to over 30 games in '05, 16 in '06, and 12 this year. Next year? more than likely only a couple. I like to eat and drink at the stadium, and with the added prices and the unknown hassles of transportation, its just too much of a burden.

going down RFK memory lane earlier just proved to me that my enthusiasm for the new place will be met with more obstacles than i am willing to bear. including crowding. oh well.

and please, im not doing grandstand or what i call the "Madison Building" section. For RFKs downfalls, the upperdeck is relatively close to the field. maybe im spoiled. is that possible with RFK? if it is, who cares. ive earned the right to complain about so called improvements.

does anyone else share my opinion?

Posted by: theraph | September 20, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

theraph - unfortunately you're not alone. I opted to not re-up my season ticket plan for the new stadium due to the increase in price and the uber-short notice of the required deposit. It was just too much to swallow. I'll still go to the new stadium next year but to select few games against benign opponents. I'd much rather watch the Nats play the Brewers in relative peace than deal with the Mets or Phillies fans when I'm limiting my visits.

Posted by: MKevin | September 20, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Actually theraph, my experience has been the exact opposite. In 2005, I only went to a handful of games. In 2006, somewhere between 10 and 15. This year, around 25.

As far as money spend on tickets, I've actually spent less per ticket each year (with this year getting the 20-game plan for the five-dollar outfield seats). And I've got a 20-game deposit for the new park, in the upper deck just beyond third base.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 20, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I know we have a lot of Nook supporters, and every once in a while I'm tempted to be one of them. I love his speed, but his defense is so frustrating and his OBP and SLG are too low to justify starting in CF.

I hope that we get another CFer to start and move Church to the 4th outfielder slot (which seems to suit him best).

If J-Max can be ready by next spring or if they sign E. Ramirez from Cuba that would be great. I'm especially excited about Ramirez since he can play the middle infield too if we need a new SS sometime next year or in '09. Also we don't need to give up any draft picks or prospects to get Ramirez (also true of Fukodome if we decide to go that route).

Posted by: estuartj | September 20, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

"I'm weird, in the sense that I actually LIKE watching the game from the upper deck."

As do I. I think the overall view of things is better from up high. But those tickets from RFK to the new park still went up by 25%. With 3 seats on a 1/2 season plan it adds up. Don't get me wrong I'm still going and will probably sit in the upper deck again, but the FO won't be able to include me as a statistic in their season ticket holder count.

Posted by: MKevin | September 20, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Re: Barry's story about Carpenter's future being in doubt here -- good move Stan. Don't get me wrong -- I don't wish Carpenter any personal harm and I hope he finds a job real soon covering his beloved Cardinals. Maybe he can be Scott Rolen's personal assistant. Get your half price scorebooks while they last.

Posted by: Ray | September 20, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I was a Mets fan as a kid, and my mom still is, I admit, but I want the Mets to win no matter what to sink the Fish. I don't only want to stay out of last place, I want the Nats to be 7 games out of last place.

Posted by: Scrub fan | September 20, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

does anyone have any footage of the defector? other than the WBC?

i always sit in the upperdeck. not necessarily for the vantage point - but for comfort. maybe im just being a pessimist - but i can just hear the cash registers ringing up $8 beers. and that, will be depressing.

Posted by: theraph | September 20, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I was kind of hoping that Maxwell would get a few more starts in CF. I've liked his approach at the plate in his (very) few AB's and even last night was impressed how he hung in there against one of the toughest lefties in the game (and got a single to boot!).

Hopefully, my relo to the new park will have me in close proximity to my current seats at RFK (sec. 416). The cost for this section of seats will be the same at the new park as it is for RFK, so I quickly renewed. I've splurged once or twice and bought more expensive seats in the lower orange seat section, but truth be told I like the red seats much better (unless the orange seats are right behind the plate or close to the dugouts and lord knows I can;t afford those). As long as I'm relocated in the Infield Gallery between first and third at the new park, I'll be happy.

Posted by: e | September 20, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

"I'm still going and will probably sit in the upper deck again, but the FO won't be able to include me as a statistic in their season ticket holder count."

And with paying non-STH single-game prices (including premium game markups) plus service charges (depending on how you buy your tickets), at some number of games you attend you may find that you've actually spent more than if you'd bought a 20-game plan and just blown off enough of the games in order to reach that same number. And you won't get all those extra STH perks, either. :->

Posted by: Section 419 | September 20, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Someone in one of the other threads asked what is wrong with Nook Logan. That question is answered with a tape of last night's game."

Ray, shame, you are a better baseball fan than that. You know that one game does not a season make.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 20, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"As long as I'm relocated in the Infield Gallery between first and third at the new park, I'll be happy."

Me too. And, no, I'm not hitting on you when I say that, just in case you're wondering given my earlier comments today...

Posted by: Section 419 | September 20, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The Nats have scored 621 runs this season, fewest in the league. They have allowed 730 runs, or 109 more than they have scored. Only Houston, Tampa Bay and the Chicago White Sox have larger negative differentials.

Boston, New York and the LA Angels (the AL division leaders) all have positive differentials in excess of 100. The Mets, Phillies, Braves, Cubs, Padres and Rockies have positive differentials in the range of 45-75. Milwaukee is also in contention with a positive differential of 17. And amazingly, the D-backs lead the West despite a negative differential of 21.

Does any of this mean anything? Maybe it's obvious: score more runs than you give up and you will win more games than you lose.

What do the Nats need to do in order to gain a net of, say, 150 runs? I think our ERA is last in the league on the road, meaning our young pitchers have benefitted from the concrete cavern that is RFK. Can we expect their collective ERA to improve even as we move to what is probably a more hitter-friendly park? If not, will the move plus improvements on offense be enough to make up the difference?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 20, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

i have a question for all STHs if you would do me the favor of trying to quell my curiosity?

why buy season tickets? i find that being forced into games decreases the fun factor and makes it an unnecessary commitment. I know a few people with season tix, and they always have to try to get rid of them due to unforeseen events or obligations - or even bc they do not want to go.

ive always been a fan of the spur of the moment "hey lets go to the game tonight" theory. even the bobblehead games this year became a burden. its like a black cloud on the calendar for me.

i am in no way criticizing. just curious to the draw of having season tickets? anyone want to fill me in?

Posted by: theraph | September 20, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

"...at some number of games you attend you may find that you've actually spent more than if you'd bought a 20-game plan and just blown off enough of the games in order to reach that same number."

True enough. It's a real juggling act for me to get to enough games with the entire family to make the investment worthwhile. Even this season, in order to get enough weekend games we had to get a 1/2 season plan rather than a 20 game plan. With our commutes and schedules, weekday night games as a group are just an impossibility so they either go to waste, or I go with a friend or by myself which wastes tickets/money. When I was in college, I was an O's season ticket holder because they had a "every home sunday" plan. That was perfect. To date, the Nats don't have any creative, family friendly packages - just your basic full, 1/2, 1/4 season plans. If they get a bit more creative and come up with some plans that maximize day games I'd drop the $$ in a heartbeat.

Posted by: MKevin | September 20, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Hendo, if you're coming into National, why not just hop on the blue line and take the Metro to RFK?

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"but I want the Mets to win no matter what to sink the Fish. I don't only want to stay out of last place, I want the Nats to be 7 games out of last place."

Yeah, that'd be nice! Although it'd also be cool for the Fish to beat the Mets and the Nats to beat the Phils, just to make the race more interesting...

I'll be at the whole Phillies series this weekend, so anybody watching the game from home tonight will have to let us know how Carpenter looks/sounds.

(Not that he wouldn't be a consummate professional, which as far as I'm concerned he is, but it'll still be interesting, to say the least.)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 20, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

MKevin, I second the "every home Sunday" proposal. Let's call Stan.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 20, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

theraph,
I'm sharing your sentiment about the jacked-up ticket prices (especially the $300 'club' seats) that I agree with others, will largely be unsold for many games next year. (although I will be scouring craiglist for occasional splurge games for HEAVILY discounted tickets)

I understand the need to raise ticket prices, but with the "typical" seat going from $25-35 range to $50-60, that changes all the economics of going to a game. I hit over 30 games this year, often buying a $5 or $10 seat, or craigslist or scalper, at big discounts, and moving to a good seat. Curious to see how many games I attend next year - and likely most will be via craigslist tix.

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | September 20, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss the working-class feel RFK has now. Coupled with the never-say-die attitude of "the worst team in baseball" it really makes watching the Nationals something special. It evokes sandlots and running out infield singles, crafty lefties and reclamation projects, beating-the-odds and coming from behind. It really is a part of the Nationals aura, which is everything that is right about baseball, the little guy standing up to the big, powerful, steroid-enhanced mega-stars. We don't have anything going for us, but us, and that's more than all your cash can buy.

That's what I hope is taken to the new ballpark. Home plate was never that good to us, anyway.

Posted by: Section 506 (After moving) | September 20, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

That's the post of the day, Sect. 506. Atta boy!

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joebleux | September 20, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

amen to that. since i don't think clint would fit. not even his head.

" Maybe in the hole that's left at home, they can bury Day-o, Volare and Sweet Caroline, and leave them at RFK. One can only dream..."

Posted by: blueson | September 20, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

But maybe I would?

---

amen to that. since i don't think clint would fit. not even his head.

Posted by: Buster Olney | September 20, 2007 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to miss RFK, too ... but I'll appreciate the decrease in foul territory.

Posted by: i hate walks | September 21, 2007 2:55 AM | Report abuse

i had the every home sunday package for camden yards too. it was great for me because it was mostly day games and helped with the long commute. i can't wait for nats in playoffs. there's nothing like playoff baseball atomosphere.

runs scored/runs against is a huge concern of mine bob l head. not sure of the breakout cause some of those early games were like 18-0. healthy starters and a felipe resurgence and wily mo every day will help. zimm improvement, etc. we don't have to tinker much. but this is why i don't see an improvement in wins. the team can get better (closer to goal) and lose more as weird as that sounds.

anyway, i think wily mo, church, kearns should be starting outfield now, barring a trade. nook is a nice double switch / pinch runner option. in fact he'd be great trade bait if he could hone his craft a la dave roberts (see bosox).

Posted by: longterm | September 21, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse