Nationals pick up 2009 option on Manny Acta

So this is fitting given our story this morning and our discussion today.

The Nationals announced that they have picked up the 2009 option on Manager Manny Acta's contract. He has, as we discussed, a two-year deal with two one-year, club options. The deal increases by roughly $100,000 a year, starting at $400,000 in 2007 and ending, potentially, at $700,000 in 2010.

"I don't think there's one player on this team that doesn't want to play for him next year," said Mark Lerner, one of the team's owners.

"I would think there's 29 clubs that would want him," GM Jim Bowden said.

With the Mets' situation obviously interesting -- there are a few New York reporters here today who have interest in Acta's standing in Washington -- I asked Bowden what they would do if another club approached them about speaking to a man who is under contract.

"We'd deny permission," Bowden said. "He's our manager."

So there you have it. Some lineups:

Washington:

Howard -- 3
Rowand -- 8
Burrell -- 7
Dobbs -- 5
Ruiz -- 2
Hamels -- 1

Word is the whole series is sold out, which is pretty darn interesting. And the Nationals are really looking forward to playing in this atmosphere.

Talk to you later.

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 28, 2007; 5:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Playoff Phever -- and Acta Outtakes
Next: Belated Happy B-day, Zim

Comments

I sometimes wish they would just sign him for the next 10 years and be done with.

Additionally, in SI's games that matter: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/john_donovan/09/28/friday.matchups/index.html

Manny did say he wanted to be playing important games in September.

Posted by: Atlanta | September 28, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations, Manny... not that we had any doubt.

If you read the previews of the weekend series (including the one in the link that Atlanta posted) there seems to be a slight sense of foreboding for the Phillies... Nobody is suggesting that they can mail it in... Part of that is probably because the Mets are playing the Marlins, but the way the Mets are playing, I think they're pretty susceptible to a team that can hit.

I mentioned in a previous thread about not respecting the Phillies... I don't really... but I certainly acknowledge the perspective of those who pointed out some of the errors in my thinking... that said... I would love nothing more than to eliminate the Phillies this weekend... I think, mostly because I want the Nats to get some respect... The Phillies may be the best team in the NL east... but they're way better than Phillies fans deserve.

Posted by: Wigi | September 28, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Manny!

Goooooooooooooo NAAAAAAAAAAAAAATS!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 28, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

The Cowboys may be the best team in the NFC right now, but you won't find a single Cowboy on my fantasy football team.

I'm declaring from here on out, officially, the Phillies are my enemies in baseball. Now matter how good they are on or off the field, they are the chief rivals.

Unless of course, Guillen and Pedro ever were to go head-to-head again.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 28, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Ugh! I wish it was on TV here!

Posted by: Patty | September 28, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Manny!

Let's get 'em tonight. And see you tomorrow afternoon.

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

If we win just one out of the next 3, we'd have went 64-64 after 9-25... that's 3/4 of a season with .500 baseball. Go Manny!

Posted by: SF Fan | September 28, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

I forgot about the Phillies and the grounds crew thing... My world has been inverted like a snow globe.

Dangit!

Posted by: Wigi | September 28, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

After righting the ship following the heinous 9-25 start, was there ever any doubt that Manny's Da Man?

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 28, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Wigi, there are nuances even to bitter rivalry.

(Offseason re-reading assignment to self: "The Napoleon of Notting Hill," by G. K. Chesterton.)

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Great timing on the Nats part.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 28, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Thank Gawd he's ours!

---

"'I would think there's 29 clubs that would want him,' GM Jim Bowden said."

Posted by: Juan-John | September 28, 2007 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking the right-handed lineup tonight.

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Worth pointing out that Manny's connection to NY is via Omar Minaya, who brought Manny to NY with him from ... Montreal. Meaning, he's more ours than theirs.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 28, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Manny is going to be a great winner.

I'm watching the game on MASN with commercials all inning long scrunching up the TV broadcast. Such a terrible idea. I know the Nats report to the O's as their boss on TV matters (like having Apple report to IBM or something) but can anything be done about this? Do any other teams do this stupid crunching up thing?

Posted by: Ed | September 28, 2007 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I just realized that it's September 28! At this time a year ago I was sulking around my house as the heavens opened up outside and I thought for sure my tickets weren't getting scanned and the sign I made to wish Zimmerman a happy birthday was going to go to waste...

Happily, that wasn't the case! I'd love to see a repeat of last September 28's result against the Phillies tonight!

And, just for fun, here's a couple pics from before and during that game:

Posted by: JennX | September 28, 2007 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Hello Nats Friends,

... inspired by Sam Clemens, I'll begin by saying reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated. But I'll also say this:

... as the final series begins, and the outlook of a winter without ball looms closer and closer, it's time to reflect a bit on 2007. This has been a great season of baseball by the Washington Nationals. Started off with no expectations, which is of course the best environment possible for full expectations, and the Nats didn't fail in that regard. Wonderful moments of excitement and pride, of hope and anticipation.

... but this year has turned out to be a very moving and pivotal year. The new park notwithstanding, the Nationals crossed the rubicon this season, as the Expos slipped finally and willingly into history and the Nats stood firm and tall as a team in their own right. They ceased being 'Expos in disguise'. No longer can I or anyone else for that matter, look at these guys and see Montreal pinstripes; this is a team which has shed that image for good; which has put off the things of the past and taken a firm stance facing its own Nationals future. And more power to them.

... because of this, 2007 was a watershed moment for Washington sports fans, and especially baseball fans. A time for settling into the seats of the new stadium, for the ride of a lifetime to come. But for me, it is now an incredibly poignant moment. Not so much a watershed as a ebbing tide. The Montreal Expos are gone forever, relegated to MLB history with a huge asterisk. They will always be a part of Canadian baseball history, and will always live in my memory, but the time has come to let the past be the past.

... next March, I'll be faced with the prospect of a new baseball season without a direct connection to any team. I'll always have the Nats to cheer for but their connection to me will be as a distant fan, up here in Canada.

... it's a bit ... no - it's a lot like watching your kids leave home to take up their own life as adults. So I'll stand at this doorstep and wish them luck, then go back inside to resume my old familiar life, in the sure knowledge a good foundation has been laid.

... Good Luck to the Washington Nationals for decades to come; Good Luck to all of you fans who have every reason to expect these guys to show themselves as the winners they truly are. I'll be watching from the sidelines.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | September 28, 2007 7:48 PM | Report abuse

"Charlie Manuel is not MOY quality. Last Sunday he took Hamels out of the game early for a pinch hitter when he was just getting good and put in the over-worked bullpen that led to the Nats victory.

Hamel had less than 80 pitches and was batting 1 for 2 with a walk."

According to Charlie and Dave on the radio tonight, Hamels was on a pitch count last Sunday since he was coming back from an injury. As he is tonight. Hence the pinch hitter.

Posted by: Section 419 | September 28, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Yea, natscan is back!

You're welcome at our cheering section anytime. Here's a hearty "merci mille fois!" for your support and insight, and hopes for your continued participation in our merry band.

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Alright! nice CS! (Although why they would attempt a steal with Utley batting is beyond me...)

Posted by: SF Fan | September 28, 2007 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Yay Natscan!!!!

You know what's funny when you're all grown up and moved out? You realize how important your parents are. Hang around buddy, we miss you.

P.S. Did I hear Phillies fans chanting "Let's go Marlins" when the fish loaded the bases in New York?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 28, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Nice, JennX. Is there any collection of photos from the tailgate? I can submit one of the Red-headed Cubs-fan Girlfriend and me in Section 506 (really 505, shhhhh) and we can pretend we're with the group.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 28, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, Kearnsy!

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

"Did I hear Phillies fans chanting 'Let's go Marlins' when the fish loaded the bases in New York?"

No doubt you did. That's exactly how I want to see it end: Mets complete the collapse, Phillies go on to October. (With no help from the Nats, mind you.)

BTW, Philly-haters, I feel your hate, but consider: do you *really* want to see this Mets team stagger into the postseason?

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 8:10 PM | Report abuse

506:

There are some tailgate pics posted on the PlanetNJ Yahoo!Groups page.

Posted by: Wigi | September 28, 2007 8:11 PM | Report abuse

How do I get to the PlanetNJ Yahoo!Groups?

Did y'all see that Mets commercial? Hahaha, "The Mets have been holding down first place since May"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 28, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

506: Now that I know how to use flickr, I'll load a few pics of the tailgate there for all to see. I'm being made to go to a movie tonight, though, so if I don't get to it now, I'll post the link later.

Anyone have mad photoshop skillz so we can add 506 into the pictures? :)

Posted by: JennX | September 28, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

506, and all others, here's the link to Planet NJ:

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone notice JMax is starting a lot more than Manny said he would. He doing it the hard way -
He's earned the starts!
Now let's see Detwiler throw an inning or two.

Posted by: Tom | September 28, 2007 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Tom, doubt we'll see Det unless it turns into garbage time.

Which it might unless Jimenez steps it up.

Posted by: Hendo | September 28, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Theories:

1. The Mets are contagious and have infected us with their poor fielding, sluggish performance, and mental lapses.

2. We're in a 4-0 hole. We've got them right where we want them...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 28, 2007 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Yay, natscan -- good to "see" you! Hope you'll continue to submit sideline reports from time to time...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 28, 2007 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Sure fire way to extend your season into October:

On September 29, start Tony Armas, and relieve him with Jesus Colome.

Posted by: Wigi | September 28, 2007 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Natscan, great to have you back - gives some sweet to go with lots of bitter!

Posted by: Traveler | September 28, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I told you to wait just a few more days, Manny, but noooooooooo -- you had to get the contract done today. I told you so.....

Posted by: Dave Trembley | September 28, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I posted this in a previous thread, but here's a photo from the NJ tailgate:

Here's hoping for at least one last win before Sunday night. The Mets seriously don't look capable of doing that right now (it's like some voodoo priestess has been sticking pins into dolls of Mets infielders right before they're about to make a defensive play).

Only one more Nats win, and the Nats clinch fourth place, regardless of what happens with Mets-Marlins.

Of course, if the Mets somehow manage to break the voodoo curse and win one game, I won't complain. :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | September 28, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Hendo,
absolutely! as much as I hate the Mets (and, oh, do I hate them), I hate the Phillies that much more. For me, the defining moment came after Nick broke his leg. I thought both the fans and the players acted with class--and there's a youtube video to prove it! (Can you tell I love links?) Can you imagine them doing this in Philly?

Posted by: Atlanta | September 29, 2007 12:57 AM | Report abuse

Tailgate tail-ends...

1. FOUND: One (1) pair sunglasses, dark plastic with blue temples, in the front seat of my car. Reply to claim.

2. Compliments to all on your neatness. natsfan1a and natsfan1c brought trash bags to cover the hood of my car with, and everyone cleaned up so well after themselves that I only had two small grocery bags of trash to throw away (and didn't need the trash bags for trash).

3. I have enough party supplies left over for the entire 2008 season. My neighbors must think I'm starting a catering business. Plasticware, plates, cups and napkins for future tailgates will be provided by me.

Posted by: Hendo | September 29, 2007 7:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, to *you,* Hendo, for letting us nosh above your Miata. Will look forward to the next tailgating, or Hot Stove, event!

BTW, new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 29, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Nika | November 10, 2007 7:27 AM | Report abuse