No-what?

It's 9:17 p.m. The Nationals have just gone down in order in the top of the sixth. Ryan Zimmerman made two errors in one inning, Brian Schneider another in the same frame. The Braves lead, 5-0.

I'm not going to say anything. But y'all are welcome to.

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 7, 2007; 9:19 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Minor minor news
Next: Position by position: Corner outfield

Comments

No-Hitter. Lets change that.

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 7, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Nice at-bat by Kearns, whether or not he reached on an error. (What did it look like on TV?)

Posted by: Hendo | September 7, 2007 9:34 PM | Report abuse

I think that was a hit and Escobar did well just to get a handle on it. If it was in RFK it would go as a hit, I'll say that right now.

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 7, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

how bad are our hitters, john smoltz has been hanging his slider all nite to zim, kearns, pena, and none of them can hit it, lenny harris needs to do his job

Posted by: love | September 7, 2007 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Yeah BELLS!

Posted by: Hendo | September 7, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Yay Ronnie! Rally time!

Posted by: JennX | September 7, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I think you can thank me and Andrew for that one, though he beat me by about by about 15 mins.
I got home, pulled up the game right away and immediately emailed my Braves fans dad and brother (time stamped 9:41): "Ack. NO HITTER. NO HITTER. NO HITTER."
9:48 Belly comes through. Whew. We did it Andrew.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 7, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Heck, after the Nats make the first out I always say no-hitter just to get it out of the way. Detwiler debut

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 7, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Woo Hoo! Go Detwiler!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 7, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Gosh, Detwiler is a cutie :)

Posted by: JennX | September 7, 2007 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Attaway Det!

Batter: SIDDOWN!

Posted by: Hendo | September 7, 2007 10:10 PM | Report abuse

WOW, anyone else see that guard being taken down??

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 7, 2007 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Fortunately, the guard ended up walking away under his own power.

Kudos to all our security and police folks, who put themselves in the way of hooligans to keep us safe.

Posted by: Hendo | September 7, 2007 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Please, have someone stay close to Zimm tonight, I fear for what he might do to himself. 4 whiffs and 3 throwing errors. I hope this nights experience doesn't get lodged in his head. This is the stuff thats hard to break once it sets in like concrete. Dr. Phil, Oprah, Montel, are you available? HELP

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 7, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Fish won.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 7, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

I'll take some credit, too. I was sitting on the sofa next to natsfan1c round about the 6th saying "I like Smoltz and all but there's no way that we're gonna let him no-hit us tonight, not with all those errors in the box score." Glad to see Belli come through. Looked like he was yelling something when he connected ("YEARGHHHH -- it's RIBS time!!!"???).

I think Zimm will be okay. He seems to be able to shake things off. That was some ugly Nats defense, though. When Manny came out to take the ball from Hanrahan, the looks on his and the infielders' faces kinda said it all.

Glad to see the guard get up on his own. Wonder how those guys get onto the field?

Talk to you all in a few days. We're heading to Cleveland Indians country to visit family.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 7, 2007 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I missed the game. From what I'm reading, I'm glad I did. What happened to the guard?

Posted by: Nats Fan | September 7, 2007 10:54 PM | Report abuse

1a & 1c...say hi to the drummer boy.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 7, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Comments re the last string - actually, Natsivity (sp?) there is precedent for Baltimoreans rooting for Washington teams - in Russell Baker's autobiography (Growing Up? - published quite a while ago) - he grew up in Baltimore and referred to his step-father's "beloved Senators", which I always found touching - this would have been quite a bit before 1950.

506, pleased to hear that it was NOT you on Tuesday, as the guy in the curly W hat was mostly just talking to Cubs girlfriend, was not cheering (and there was lots to cheer!) and overall did not seem very interested in the game!

Posted by: Traveler | September 7, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Belliard gets a hit, there goes any chance of Barry's gamer appearing on page one of Sports in tomorrow's print edition. Barry, maybe you should start phoning your gamers into Kornheiser. He seems to be able to get his photo on page one just by coughing up a few words off the top of his head, not even bothering to write them down. Get him to say something about the Nats. Pay him if you have to. We'll take up a collection here and get your back if it comes down to that...

Posted by: Section 419 | September 7, 2007 11:13 PM | Report abuse

The fan ran onto the field (yeah, how the heck do they do that???) and ran up the first base line, because a (rather large) guard pushed him down, and he hit the ground hard too and landed on his head I guess, and twisted his neck. Its hard to describe, but it didnt look pretty.

Posted by: Andrew S. | September 7, 2007 11:14 PM | Report abuse

me, sitting in the upper reserved, along first baseline, speaking as loudly as possible: "Huh. that's a really nice NO HITTER he's throwing. I'm amazed it's still a NO HITTER. Way to go Smoltz, with your NO HITTER."

The glares from the Braves fans were worth it. Also, JennX, I totally agree. I think I fell a little bit in love with Ross Detwiler as soon as I found out he's a tall, lanky, lefty, and tonight certainly didn't hurt!

Posted by: Atlanta | September 8, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else see that Bill Ladson just screwed up another nats name?

"Starter Jack Hanrahan was ineffective, and touted rookie southpaw Ross Detwiler made his Major League debut in the loss."

Well done Jack Hanrahan...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | September 8, 2007 1:39 AM | Report abuse

So if you add up Zim's errors from last year with this year's and average them out (I know this season isn't over yet, but I'm curious anyway), how does that compute for a 22-year-old, 2nd-year rookie who wouldn't know triple-A if it whacked him in the face?

All those errors aside, that hasn't clouded my decision to buy a jersey with his name and number on it ONE BIT.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 8, 2007 1:43 AM | Report abuse

3 errors is pathetic...esp when they are all the same type. but my concern is that Zimm seems not to really care. He make statements like "i'm going to try to make that throw" or he shrugs his shoulders. I am looking for him to say that is unacceptable, i have to work to make sure this doesn't happen again, etc. But he seems to just shrug his shoulders and say yeah it stinks but o well.

Posted by: drew | September 8, 2007 2:50 AM | Report abuse

The kid definitely has a problem, it's official...

Posted by: mikem | September 8, 2007 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, looks like the Detwiler fan club, female division, is out in full force.

Ladies, your devotion is commendable. But please get a good look at the kid. HE NEEDS A SOLID MEAL. Your duty is clear.

Lest you think me sexist, I'll be glad to cook him a pot roast, or to take him over to Checkers for a couple of Big Bufords if it'll help.

Posted by: Hendo | September 8, 2007 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Heh heh. Hendo, you took the words outta my mouth. I wrote this last night, but didn't hit the send button:
"Detwiler's a real cutie. When he gets over 120 lbs, he'll be downright hot!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 8, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

baseball roundup with Phil Wood on WTEM right now.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 8, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Yeah I dunno if it was Ladson who made the Hanrahan mistake. Im thinking it was more like an editor...Im sure Bill knows the player names.

Posted by: AS | September 8, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse