RFK's Last Day

Just passed a bunch of players passing out T-shirts at one gate - Zimmerman, Schneider, Flores, etc. - and there'll be another shift as most of you get out here. I have to point out that one player that I know of declined to take a shift at the gates - infielder Felipe Lopez. Others did it.

It's a ridiculously nice day out here. Charlie Brotman in the press box to do some pregame ceremony stuff, and he's going over the pronunciations right now. Fans already milling around the home dugout, trying to get last bits of memorabilia from the old girl. It's worth pointing out, of course, that RFK will host DC United and other soccer events - including this year's MLS Cup. But this is a big day for baseball fans here.

I hope the Nationals Journal tailgate party is in full swing by now. What a day for it. I'm going to try to sneak out there if I can. A bit pressed for time with the noon-ish start.

Lineups: Dmitri Young still not playing, and unfortunately not healthy enough to get even a pinch-hit at-bat in front of the home crowd for the last time. He's disappointed about that, but said he didn't "want to end up in a neck brace" going into the offseason.

Late scratch: Wily Mo Pena, who took cuts in the batting cage, but his hand still hurts. He was replaced by Nook Logan. Justin Maxwell getting a start - and he'll get one against the Mets as well. That way, Acta can get a look at the kid while still making things even against the teams in the race.

Philadelphia:

Kearns - 9
Batista - 3
Flores - 2
Maxwell - 7
Logan - 8
Hanrahan - 1

I'll give you a few updates during the pregame ceremony/early part of the game if I can. For those of you coming out - enjoy!

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 23, 2007; 10:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stan, Me and the Relationship between Reporter and Club
Next: Bottom of the sixth

Comments

I wonder why Logan in Center, and not Maxwell - and then why not Church in left? Id rather see Maxwell everyday (over Logan).

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | September 23, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Barry,

What kind of game story was that from the Post last night? Not a single quote from a Nationals player or coach! What is the deal.....are you selling papers in Philly now? Weak......very very weak game story!

Posted by: JayB | September 23, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Amazing day for baseball... Amazing day for a tailgate... It was great meeting many of you along the banks of the Anacostia... and thanks to Barry for stopping in.

GLad to see Maxwell get a start... Hey Nook... exceed my expectations today. Hey Nats... put me out of my misery and win... and end my three season streak.

Farewell Oil Filter!

Posted by: Wigi (402 row 2 seat 1) | September 23, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Lopez is a great young player and a great person. He always give his all and never thinks of himself. He is a true Nationals player and we want to build around people just like him. Trust me I never make a mistake and anyone who questions me is pure evil....like that devil Barry S at the Post!

Posted by: NR Stan K. | September 23, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

So where's Teddy?

Posted by: Ashburn | September 23, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

What is FLop's problem? Jerk.

Posted by: surlychick | September 23, 2007 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Wigi-- Missed you at the tail gate!

Posted by: A Hardwick (Fomerly Sec 417 Row 8 Seat 9) | September 24, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

THAT'S IT!!! I'VE HAD IT WITH LOPEZ!!!!
PLEASE Jim and Stan, DO NOT tender Lopez this offseason. He's so ultra-sensitive that a couple of fans might say something to him at the gate. What a sourpuss!!! We've got Guzzy and Jimenez and can acquire another SS in a trade for next year. Besides, with all the high character guys we have now, IMO we don't need Felipe's pouting and numerous mood swings around here any longer!!

P.S. -- Stan, thanks for getting rid of Bob Carpenter in the TV booth. His dominating, egotistical, know-it-all style was VERY annoying and led me to hit the mute button on my remote many times. Also, thanks for retaining Charlie and Dave on the radio side. I'm a 40-year fan who believes Charlie Slowes is the most underrated play-by-play guy in the business.

Posted by: Hondo69 | September 24, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse