Game 162 is in the books. Final record: 73-89. My prediction: 62-100. (What, I didn't tell you, "Give or take 11?")

As I ride the Acela pointed south, season three in the books, just wanted to say thanks to all those who stopped by here over the course of the season -- and even earlier, back in 2005 (or, as I know it, "The Spring of Panera"). When we started back then -- even though we stopped the Journal for the regular season and didn't pick it up again till 2007 -- I figured it'd be a good place to post lineups and breaking news, not to mention write about where I ate lunch, which of course was the most fascinating.

But I think we've established this as a nice, solid place for Nationals discussion, which surprised me. That's due to you folks. I like the comments. I like the debate. And yes, I even like the criticism. All that makes me think. I've come up with story ideas and post ideas and question ideas from your discussions. It all helps.

I'm going to hammer out my season-ending awards on the train ride home, but at the end of a fun year on the field, just wanted to say I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Barry

By Barry Svrluga  |  September 30, 2007; 8:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning of No. 162
Next: The 2007 Nationals Journal Awards Show

Comments

Thanks, Barry, I've enjoyed it and will look forward to some postings from the Hot Stove League.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 30, 2007 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Just back from the game and man, was that brutal - but an excellent experience for the Nats.

Barry, thanks for everything you do to make the season enjoyable.

Posted by: Svrlugamania | September 30, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Barry. Well done.

Not to beat a dead horse, but here's a recap of my offerings over the season.

Ditch the red caps.

Ban references to Montreal.

Reclaim Washington baseball history from those teams who abandoned the nation's capitol.

Build a pedestrian bridge from Poplar Point to Nats Park - and build a giant parking lot at Poplar Point.

Play Duke Ellington, Parliment and Chuck Brown at the stadium.

Hire Mike Patrick for TV play-by-play.

Start the Terp in Center Field.

Over and out.

Posted by: 6th and D | September 30, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

It was a real blast Barry. Thanks so much for all the inside scoops, updates, and extras. You created a really fun and entertaining community here that I always looked forward to and that I'll never forget. You really did a fantastic job with everything. "Thank You" just doesn't seem to cover it.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 30, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Home at last without incident. Phillies fans were so giddy after today's events, I could've traipsed down the middle of Packer Avenue in my curly-W Underarmour(tm) and nobody would have cared much. (Including me. Traffic was on the slow side all the way through Delaware. Smart man, that Barry, taking the Acela.)

Tomorrow night I will want to point the car toward Capitol Hill and down D Street toward RFK. Alas, there will be no reason to.

Tuesday morning I'll want to read Barry's gamer and notebook. Nothing doing.

Thanks for a great season, Nats. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Barry -- especially those of us whose loop extended all around the world.

See you all at the hot stove. (Which starts in Arizona in about a week. I have a trip to L.A. in November -- surely I can eke out a weekend to catch J-Max and the rest of the Javelinas...)

Posted by: Hendo | September 30, 2007 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Back before we had a team, I thought the baseball season was ridiculously long, and I couldn't fathom how people stayed interested the whole time.

Now I get it. And part of what has educated me to this point has been this blog: Barry's posts and the comments.

Thank you all.

Posted by: Lurking in right field | September 30, 2007 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Barry. This blog was my Pleasant Development of the Year.

Posted by: Big Fan | September 30, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for everything Barry. I appreciate everything from the late nite gamers to snarky live chat comments.

Posted by: Section 219 | September 30, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Great work Barry,

I agree with 6th & D. Hire Frankhauser!

The last 6 games may be much more valuable for the Nats in '08 & '09. The current Braves got no experience in a playoff atmosphere. Nats (yeah, ok the Fish too) got something under their belts.

It's going to be fun watching NY media. If Yankees don't go to the WS, look and see if Torre isn't ridden into retirement. The pressure on Minaya to can Randolph will be amazing. The NY media (& fans) are going to point to his not pulling Maine in the game at RFK. They will say that that is the comeback that broke the camel's back.

BTW, I think that reporters that keep those interested updated, almost on an hourly basis, with comments, may be the future.

Posted by: Catcher50 | September 30, 2007 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
It's been great reading the journal everyday from the beginning of spring training.
All I have to say is I'm really sad I can't watch the nats for another 6 months. Lets keep the dicussions going during the long offseason.

Posted by: teddyrocks | September 30, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

The NY media -- well, WFAN 660 anyhow -- are ready to push Glavine off a cliff. One other thing they remarked was the immaturity of the Met players in their celebrations yesterday.

Philly radio is, not surprisingly, expressing relief that their team is finally playing into October after so many seasons of frustration. They attribute the frustration to tight-fistedness on the part of ownership that was smug in the knowledge that they'd always get good attendance from loyal fans no matter what team was put on the field. (Now where else have we heard that?)

Also, WIP 610 had a Las Vegas oddsmaker on who asserted that the odds favor the Phillies taking the NL pennant. He didn't say -- or I missed it if he did -- what the sports books think will happen in the World Series.

Posted by: Hendo | September 30, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry for keeping the conversation going all year. You uncovered many a story -- and let us regular readers here in on it first. You've done a great job -- sad to see it end. Only five more months till Viera!

Posted by: Ray | September 30, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Lovin' the moniker, teddy!

Posted by: next year in Geico Park | September 30, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry-

I've checked the journal at least three times a day for months. I'll miss the coverage, but I look forward to 2008. Take a bow yourself and see you in March!

Posted by: Falls Church | September 30, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I started checking in back in the spring when I was planning a trip to Viera because I (literally!) wanted to find some good lunch places and you'd posted a few hints (well, one) in '06.

Although work got me buried in late August and through September, I've read every post since.

I can't wait to check in here over the winter and read the book lists, and find out about other journalites' coping strategies.

That was a fun year, and I expect it is only going to get better in the next. See you in March!

Posted by: i hate walks | September 30, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

to be clear: every post (not every comment) since March, not since getting buried by work . ;)

And I forgot to say one other word: THANKS!

Posted by: i hate walks | September 30, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Barry:
Not only am I a regular and avid reader of this blog, but I also consult to newspapers about how their staffs should be getting more involved with new media. Your first-rate Nats beat reporting, this blog, your chats and podcast are Exhibit A in my suggestions to these papers about how their beat reporters should broaden their coverage and interaction with the audience. Thanks for your excellent work--you are, indeed, the model of a major beat reporter.

Posted by: Eyewitness | September 30, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Yeah you've done a great job, but let's get down to the important issues. Please tell me Clint is not going to be back next year. While I'll admit some great times have stemmed from making fun of him, he's insanely annoying.

Posted by: Reston | September 30, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Barry -

The Journal has helped reignite my love of baseball and helped forge a strong connection with our Nationals. Thanks for all the insight, good humor, patience and persistence in bringing us this inside look at the team.

Fabulous work!

Posted by: Vandy | September 30, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Thank you.

You are an excellent writer, an insightful reporter, and a hard worker. Wonder which one makes your parents most proud?

Posted by: NatBisquit | September 30, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Barry -- Thanks for the gamers, the notebooks, the chats, the podcasts, this journal. It's fabulous to feel like there is a dialogue between the press and the fans as we follow the team--that it isn't just a one way broadcast.

There are a lot of things about following the Nats I couldn't have imagined in the spring of 2005. One of them has been how much I've enjoyed the community that's evolved in cyberspace. It's hard to imagine what it would be like to go to games, listen to the radio and read the stories without the forum for a conversation.

I think my (non-baseball loving) friends appreciate it also. They know I have an avid interest, and they're impressed that there's an outlet for it.

Posted by: Sect 422 | September 30, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Cheers Mr. Svrluga, thanks for the fine work.

Posted by: Del Ray Nats Fan | October 1, 2007 12:05 AM | Report abuse

OK, someone tell me EXACTLY when pitchers and catchers report so I can clear it with my boss RIGHT the [RF]-ing heck NOW...

Postseason? WHAT postseason?!?

OK, so here's the question now: Who wins the World Series?

Me, it's Cubbies beating the Red Sox in five games AT WRIGLEY.

Posted by: Juan-John | October 1, 2007 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Juan-John says:

"Me, it's Cubbies beating the Red Sox in five games AT WRIGLEY"

Keep wishing for things like that and you'll need a life insurance policy that covers getting hit by lightning.

Posted by: Wigi | October 1, 2007 2:43 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry, great job this weekend and all year.

So I guess you can write about the Phillies from a Nationals perspective and you showed how it is done.

Also I guess spending money Does Work for the Cubs, last to first in one year by spending cash on Alsonso and free agents.....ask Stan about that someday please.

Posted by: JayB | October 1, 2007 4:11 AM | Report abuse

As a season long stalker of the journal, I decided this was the appropriate time to break my silence with a heartfelt thanks to Barry and all of the regular contributors for the insight, the opinions and the entertainment.

Posted by: NovaNat | October 1, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry (I incorporate by reference everyone else's comments on you). Reston-I met Clint on Fri. night of the last home series. He had not been told whether he would be part of the new stadium. So, one supposes there is hope. Uh, JayB, don't ever ever wish for the team that you root for to be like the Cubs. It is all about pitching, pitching and the PLAN!

Posted by: A Hardwick (Formerly Sec 417...) | October 1, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

New post, guys (and I second A. Hardwick's comments re. the PLAN)...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 1, 2007 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Just wanted to point out that signing Alfonso and all those Free Agents worked....Cubs did win! Just a data point.

Posted by: JayB | October 1, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

But the plan is about building a team the right way for years of victories over the long haul, not for clinching the title for one year in a weak division and then selling the team.

Posted by: NR Stan and Jim | October 1, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

Barry,
Your Journal was the first thing I read every day...and I checked it many more times throughout each day hoping for a new post from you. (Sorta like looking in your empty fridge for a Coke you know is not in there but you keep looking anyway)
What am I going to do until March? Please post anything no matter how trivial...
Thanks!

Posted by: Johnny Baconbitz | October 1, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Now that I'm back at work and thus online, my belated thanks to Barry for his superlative reporting and writing, discussions, attentiveness to the Nats and to this Journal, and to this community here. I've really enjoyed reading and learning about the team and different aspects of the sport, and everyone's comments have shown a nice sense of respect, community, and thought. Coming to this site a few times a day has been something I've looked forward to, and hope to enjoy in the future, as well.

Posted by: samantha7 | October 1, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry! It was a great season, and I loved having the Journal to read all season as well. Now I have to cheer for my husband's team, the Yankees (ugh) to do well in the post-season. Hopefully in coming years I will be able to cheer for the Nats!!

Posted by: Patty | October 1, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

You could maybe cheer for ex-Nats, like me, starting tonite...

---

Posted by: NR Jamey Carroll | October 1, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Another thanks to you Barry, the hardest working man in the newspaper business. I have enjoyed too all the comments from the community - I lurked more than added because others have expressed my thoughts more clearly and eloquently than I could have. Look forward to the offseason changes to come - hopefully Planet NJ will not change too much!

Posted by: Geezer | October 1, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Sver - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - guh!

Posted by: George Winslow | October 1, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

barry,

thanks so much for the near nonstop coverage, your sense of the story (behind the story), your objectivity, your willingness to open up this dialogue, and your interest in our thoughts and ideas. all your hard work is truly appreciated.

Posted by: blueson | October 1, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse