Game 1 Lineups: Phillies vs. Rockies

Lopez -- 6
Belliard --4
Zimmerm ... oh, wait. Old habits die hard.

Colorado:
Kaz Matsui -- 4 (remember when the Mets moved Jose Reyes to second because of him?)
Troy Tulowitzki -- 6 (could become a darling of postseason if Rockies advance; from Zimmerman's draft class)
Matt Holliday -- 7 (no-brainer MVP in Denver: .340-36-137, answer to question, "Who was the 2007 NL batting champ)
Todd Helton -- 3 (former Tennessee QB)
Garrett Atkins -- 5 (played at UCLA with Chase Utley)
Brad Hawpe -- 9 (RBI every 4.4 at-bats was second-best in NL)
Ryan Spilborghs -- 8 (11 pinch hits were fifth-most in majors, but was 0 for last 9 in pinch)
Yorvit Torrealba -- 2 (just 2 for last 32 in throwing out base stealers, so watch Rollins)
Jeff Francis -- 1 (0-1 with a 15.12 ERA in two starts against the Phillies this year, lasting just 8-1/3 innings)

Philadelphia:
Jimmy Rollins -- 6 (played all but two innings all year, no-brainer MVP in Philadelphia)
Shane Victorino -- 9 (stole 26 consecutive bases from 5/18-7/13)
Chase Utley -- 4 (look at his numbers -- .332, 22, 103 -- and consider he missed a month, thanks to John Lannan)
Ryan Howard -- 3 (also missed significant time, but not enough to avoid hitting 47 homers and strike out a record 199 times)
Aaron Rowand -- 8 (final numbers in contract year: .309-27-89)
Pat Burrell -- 7 (so maligned for so long in Philly, but was a steadying influence in Utley's absence)
Wes Helms -- 5 (will be replaced by Greg Dobbs against right-handers)
Carlos Ruiz -- 2 (surprise starter after he was hit by a pitch over the weekend against Washington)
Cole Hamels -- 1 (last start was that eight-inning gem last Friday against the Nationals which helped propel Phillies to the postseason)

That's it from here. Might check in later.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 3, 2007; 2:20 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Introducing Postseason Journal - and Sheinin
Next: My Name is Barry Svrluga and I Am Wearing No Pants!

Comments

Oh, Barry. How you toy with us.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Holliday: Home: .377/25/82 Away: .301/11/55
Rollins: Home: .300/18/47 Away: .293/12/47

CBP is a bandbox, but nothing inflates stats like Coor's Field (humidor or no).

I'll take Rollins for MVP, based on similar adjusted-for-reality stats, plus much better speed and fielding.

Posted by: joebleux | October 3, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

My heart leapt at the initial lineup, then came crashing down to reality.

So, is our boy Jamey on the postseason roster but not in the lineup? (You *did* remember to pass on our regards to him, right?)

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Wow. The Phils have three starters I'd take on any team, any time. We need some of that.

Posted by: cevans (not working) | October 3, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

OK here goes nothing

Rockies in 5, Cubs in 4
Cubs in 6

Yankees in 4, Angels in 3
Angels in 3

Cubs in (cough gasp hackhackhack ahkkkk ...) the Angel's rear-view mirror (5).

Posted by: cevans | October 3, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Jamey's on the roster but not in the lineup. He doesn't start regularly. Comes on as a PR/defensive replacement.

And I was chatting pregame. Didn't get a chance to talk to him. But will.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | October 3, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Barry!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm willing to wager that after fourteen years of waiting none of those three (including Rowan) will now be available in the off-season.
____________________________________

Posted by: cevans (not working) | October 3, 2007 02:51 PM

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan (sorta working) | October 3, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Public service announcement for those without cable tv or MLB Radio access: you can listen to MLB postseason games via Triple X ESPN Radio (AKA R******* Radio, but let's not go there). Local stations are at 92.7, 94.3 FM and 730 AM. The current game is on 730 AM only. See today's sports section for more info on radio schedules.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

lowcountrynatsfan,

Not to speak for cevans, but I think Rowand wouldn't be near the top 3 of that Phillies lineup as most desirable parts. The cream of the crop in the Phillies lineup for today) are clearly Rollins, Utley, Howard, and Hamels. Rowand is a very very distant 5th after those guys.

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I agree as well faNATic. As you know however, there has been some advocacy on this forum for signing Rowand as a FA CF this winter. My poorly articulated point being that I now suspect that Philadelphia will make every effort to keep him under contract (and keep this team together). Especially if they advance.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

lowcountrynatsfan,

I definitely agree, and I saw that's where you were coming from (in terms of acquiring Rowand). However, if Hamels keeps pitching at this rate (45 pitches and 2 ER in 1 2/3 innings), maybe he'll be more available than Rowand.

To be honest, more power to them if they want to keep Rowand and the team together. It'll make it all the better when we beat them.

I also think that we'll come up with as good or better from within or elsewhere. Although it pains me to root for a Terp, I sure did like J-Max and think he could be quite good if he added a touch more plate discipline.

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

addendum: Hamels just walked in the 3rd ER in 1 2/3 innings... Now 51 pitches in. Not quite the start Manuel envisioned, I think.

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahahaha, stupid Phoolies.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 3, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

heh heh...

Go, Rocks!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps we can invite Hamels to camp after they release him next inning! I agree that Maxwell, the second-half resurgence (or was it just a surgence?) of Nook, and the evident role-playing ability of Church make CF a much less pressing issue than it appeared in July.
_______________

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 03:38 PM

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I like just "surgence" ...very aptly put.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I agree that Maxwell, the second-half resurgence (or was it just a surgence?) of Nook, and the evident role-playing ability of Church make CF a much less pressing issue than it appeared in July."

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 03:46 PM

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for giving us a sliver of what's going on. Keep throwing in an update every now and then, if you don't mind, on what's going on in the game for those of us "working" and not able to listen or watch.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Now that Philly has made the post-season, Rowand's market value will be enhanced or devalued by his performance in the playoffs. Lucky for him he's playing round 1 in Coors and CBP.

If the Phils advance but don't win and Rowand has a good post-season, then I think they try to keep him thinking they want to keep the team together and make another run. If they advance and don't win but Rowand has a poor post-season, then I think they let him walk and he becomes something of a scapegoat in Philly.

If they win it all, then I think they let him walk regardless of how he performs. I think they'd be less inclined to overpay for a chance to repeat rather make another run if they get close.

======================

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 03:34 PM

Posted by: MKevin | October 3, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Rocks going into the top of the 3rd.

=======================

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2007 03:49 PM

Posted by: MKevin | October 3, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

actually, I'm "working" too, just got gametracker up :)

No AM radio in my office, and the streaming audio from triple-X espn radio is on the (blech) Stephen A. Smith show last I checked.

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Well now Hamels has more post-season hits than Rowand, Utley, Rollings, and Howard combined!

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Still 3-0 Rocks through 3 innings.

Go, Co.!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Wheels are falling off for Francis and more money for Rowand...

Back-to-back 1-run homers for Rowand and Burrell to lead off the bottom of the 5th.

3-2 Rockies.

Posted by: faNATic | October 3, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Jeff, remember your game plan...

(3-2 Rocks after back-to-back homers)

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

John in Mpls must be at Burger King. Phillies 3-2. Back to back homers by Rowand and Burrell.

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Good point about the Burger King.

BTW, Dave Sheinin has posted in a separate AL thread.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

And there goes Torrealba adding to his runners not thrown out count

Posted by: misschatter | October 3, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"BTW, Dave Sheinin has posted in a separate AL thread."

And he says Barry is not wearing pants...maybe that's whats distracting Jeff F. this inning?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mention that so as not to lose the element of surprise. But perhaps that was the source of the distraction. Pull 'em up, Barry!

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Rocks! Break out the lumber!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Wait. So does this thread continue just for people interested in the Phillies/Rockies?

What if another good discussion starts on the Sox/Angels thread? What if I wanna say something on both? We gotta flip back and forth?

Sheesh. This is going to be the most unproductive month the whole season.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yes, NatsNut, I think that's the intent. The biggest issue will be getting the pants on and off every time we switch threads!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Okay, I take it back. There's a new Barry thread (pants-friendly) with NL game info.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I can't get Triple Secret ESPN Radio here in Silver Spring, so I just worked through the afternoon.

Seems a sin when there's a day game, but I'll atone for it next month when I go to Arizona for a weekend of AFL.

Posted by: Hendo | October 3, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Yeaaaaaaaaah, Rocks!!

That's a bummer about the radio, Hendo. You should post about the AFL in the new NL thread, too, in case people don't see it here.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse