It is 2:15 a.m.

The Rockies and Diamondbacks are in the 11th inning, tied 2-2. Raise your hand if you're still watching this game?

No, not you, Mr. Selig.

Didn't think so.

Good ballgame. I hope, at some point, to describe it for y'all.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 13, 2007; 2:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ramdom mid-game thoughts, NLCS Game 2
Next: The Beatles: A Digression

Comments

i was.

I watched the first few innings on the screen at teh pub. During the 11th I was refreshing each pitch on my cellyphone while waiting on the metro. I'd love to get a description better than Gameday on the cell-screen provides. I'm sure it was exciting. Prolly moreso than it seemed than waiting for a train in a chilly autumn night.

q: how does one pick a team to root for in these games which don't include the home team?

Posted by: i hate walks | October 13, 2007 3:12 AM | Report abuse

I saw it, Barry. Was waiting for Zimmerman to end the game with a grand slam off Jorge Julio.

Posted by: Svrlugamania | October 13, 2007 4:14 AM | Report abuse

ihw, I don't know about others but I tend to root for the lower payroll teams who have a "Plan" (know what I mean? wink wink. nudge nudge. say no more. say no more) I also like to root for teams with ex-Nats in the organization. The Rocks have an edge there, and I really like that they voted a playoff share to Mike Coolbaugh's wife (he's the minor league coach who was killed by a line drive earlier this year). So for me it's the Rocks in this round. In the AL, I'm rooting the Indians because they're a lower payroll team and because I promised my aunt I would. My husband and I both have Ohio connections.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 13, 2007 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Just read the gamer. Sounds like the rally in the 11th was a case of, as Bill Veeck would say, "bingles, bobbles, and bunts." But we'll take it. Goooooooo Rocks!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 13, 2007 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Seems the Dbacks are showing some red flag issues to the wanta be Nationals......new park, young no name talent, winning record are not enough to develop a model franchise....something is missing from the Dbacks organization and Barry's comments about the fans and game experience are telling......take note nationals....the little things matter, got a new printer for Season tickets yet? Planning on saving a buck with your shipping company yet again? Signed Clint up for a second year? Beware......

Posted by: Take Note Stan | October 13, 2007 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Barry,

Thanks for the online only edition. No way this guy is gonna stay up until 3 to see the end of the game.

Also, off topic, but you can tell your washingtonpost.com IT guys that the link to the "postseason journal" in the "talk+" button associated with the gamer is much appreciated. It makes navigating to all the day's baseball stories much easier. Now they've just gotta get that going in the Nationals gamers next year.

Posted by: Sec 128 | October 13, 2007 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I wish MLB/Fox/TBS would figure out that there are people in the East who like to watch these games, too. Raise your hand if you stayed up until the end of the Rox/D'backs game on Friday night (Saturday morning).

I didn't think so. I understand the need to let the local fans have a good shot at watching, but the current schedule simply assumes nobody back here on the populous East Coast has any interest.

They won't play the games simultaneously because they don't want anybody to miss anything. Well, guess what? A lot of people around here missed the final three or four innings of that NLCS game last night. So, yeah, we missed something. Like a game-winning bases-loaded walk in the 11th inning.

Posted by: shepdave | October 13, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Watched the first five or six innings, but then dozed off. Woke up for the (unfortunate) ninth, then somehow managed to stay awake until the end of the game. Wonderful result IMO, but I still never like to see a game decided by a walked-in run.

Posted by: RFK Section 314 | October 13, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

When will baseball learn that people are now owls. Unless it's your hometeam, you are probably not going to stay up that late to watch a game. Some of us have other obligations. Wake up Bud!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | October 13, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

lol...make now - not

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | October 13, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

it's gotta be a little ironic, right, that it seems like better baseball is being played in the NLCS than in the ALCS. . . but who cares about the senior circuit, especially with its late start times? I watched. . . until about the 6th and my exhaustion overcame me. it's sad, because, with better marketing? it's not like the Rockies don't make a pretty inspirational tale.

Posted by: Atlanta | October 13, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

natfan1a: For the heck of it, here is another way to pick a team for the playoffs. Look at the devotion of the fans and the willingness of the ownership to develop and use its resources to compete. While it is cute that the D-Backs have a low payroll, they play in one of the largest cities in the country and can't even sell out their playoff games. They have a heck of a GM and got a pelasant surprise in how quickly some their prosepcts developed, but the locals will not go wild for them, whyshould anyone else? The Rockies have worked very hard to identify the type of player and pitcher who can succeed there and have been willing to spend money on their own vets like Helton (and FAs, although many have not worked out - Hampton, Neagle). They are fun to watch, and also have the emerging stars. They, along with the Indians, used to be among the big attendance teams, so the fans will go evenif they are a bit fickle.

I will not try to convince anyone about the Red Sox, but I don't think people should begrudge them just because of their payroll. They play in a tiny park, the seats are the costliest, have a tremendous road following, and have developed a great regional sports network. By rights, they should not be a better market than the other teams left given the declining population base, bad weather, and high cost of living. The fact that they have become a high revenue and high payroll team (after being in the mid-pack in the 90s) is something perhaps to envy rather than begrduge. So tell Boz to stick it.

Posted by: jon | October 13, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

ShepDave, it's not that they don't want you to miss anything, it's that they don't want you to have to change the channel away from them, to see it. As you correctly point out, they don't care if we miss it.

I did not, except for dozing off for a few innings or two -- OK, from about the fifth to the middle of the 11th -- taking in MLB Radio and the TBS centerfield camera.
So I was there for the finish. Close enough.

--------
Posted by: shepdave | October 13, 2007 10:38 AM

Posted by: cevansJr | October 13, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

And in re: Dbacks marketing, do NOT underestimate how pissed fans were when they let Luis Gonzalez go. Good baseball decision, probably, but PR disaster, from everything I hear.

Posted by: cevansJr | October 13, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I fell asleep while listening on the internet, since I don't have cable and it's blacked out on MLB.com. Good job, MLB.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | October 13, 2007 1:16 PM | Report abuse

I was up. I even posted a comment at 2:22 on the previous entry! What a dedicated baseball fan I am.

Just kidding. Actually, I was only up because I'd just gotten home from celebrating my birthday. I posted really quick when I got home to make it look like I'd been up watching baseball all along, but then I went straight to bed. ha ha.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 13, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh! I meant to add this little plug. For the first time since it opened, my friends and I went bowling at Lucky Strike in Chinatown. HUGE TV screens at the business-end of the bowling lanes plus behind the bar while we waited for our lanes, and you'll never believe it, the baseball game was everywhere! Particularly awesome was that it was on the screen right at the end of our lanes. It was like I was bowling right into the pitchers' feet.

When it's hard to find even a crusty neighborhood bar in this town that will show a Nats game, much less other teams playing (post-season aside) I thought this was a huge, huge deal.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 13, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I fell asleep with the game on, woke up after 3, and hit rewind on the DVR. Was able to catch the 8th inning on. Isn't technology wonderful?

Posted by: Ashburn | October 13, 2007 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Re: Drew base-running error not seeing the ump call him safe and trotting back to the dugout, costing team out 2, killing what would have been the winning run when the bottom of the 9th arrived- WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

Posted by: flynnie | October 13, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I was in Philly last night visiting a friend from college who was there for a conference. We went out and painted the town, ending up at a Cuban place in the Old City neighborhood where I danced with a guy whose friend told me that the guy was "Big Papi's brother". I definitely didn't believe him, but it was amusing nonetheless. David it that really was your bro he could use some salsa lessons!

Anyway, we got back to the hotel around 1:30 and I caught innings 9 and 10 before umm... "falling asleep". Damn mojitos!

Posted by: JennX | October 13, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and happy birthday NatsNut! Hopefully you'll be able to celebrate your birthday at a Nats playoff game someday soon. :)

Posted by: JennX | October 13, 2007 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Say, Jon, guess what? I formed my opinion of which team to root for all by my little old self, as I don't take my rooting cues from Boz or anyone else. But thanks for sharing. As for your your final, imperative statement, thanks, but no thanks. I don't plan on telling Boz or anyone else to do that either.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 14, 2007 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Happy birthday from me, too, NatsNut. Here's hoping that you, I, and all the other October babies will be able to watch our guys play late into October soon!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 14, 2007 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Darn near killed me, but I was watching.

Gave up on the Sox and tribe the next night though.

Posted by: WebberDC | October 15, 2007 9:37 AM | Report abuse