Magical Mystery Tour

So tomorrow morning I leave for Philadelphia -- and probably for the whole month. Sheinin and I are entusted with trying to cover four playoff series between the two of us, a task likened to playing Twister across the entire country. (Right foot: Cleveland. Left hand: Denver.) By the end, I may have seen parts of all four division series.

I have: Philly tomorrow and Thursday for Games 1 and 2 of Rockies (did you see that last night?) and Phillies. Cleveland on Friday for Game 2 of Yanks-Indians. Denver on Saturday for Game 3 Rocks-Phils. Either Denver again on Sunday, or (more likely) Anaheim for Game 3 of Red Sox-Angels, then remaining in Anaheim for Game 4 of that series. If there's a Game 5 in Cubs-Diamondbacks on Tuesday, I'll be in Phoenix for that. And if there's a Game 5 in Yanks-Tribe, I'll be in Cleveland for that one.

I'll post again today, for sure. But how 'bout that Jamey Carroll last night, being aggressive with that first pitch from Hoffman and shooting it to right -- as he does so well. He had made an error earlier in the game, but he didn't butcher the ball as much as he butchered the post-game interview with Craig Sager (likely distracted by Sager's sportcoat). His mother died last year, and he mentioned that she was watching from heaven. He's deeply religious, and that was a special moment for him. But he really, really wanted to celebrate with his teammates, and Sager kept yammering. Who can blame him, I suppose? I'll give him crap about it when I see him tomorrow, and I assume I'm safe in passing on some regards from Nats fans everywhere?

Talk to you later today.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 2, 2007; 9:43 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: No news on coaches
Next: Dmitri Young: Comeback Player of the Year

Comments

Yes, please pass on my regards to Jamey Carroll (perhaps my favorite ex-Nat and, BTW, I called his game-winning hit some time ago) and also to Ramon Ortiz and Vin-ny Caaaaa-stiii-lla.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Hats off to the Rockies. Wow, a history-making run into the playoffs (Colorado), and an historic collapse (Mets), all in the same season. And with a 300-game winner (Glavine) and the all-time saves leader (Hoffman) on center stage.

[Hendo, you should re-post that Detroit piece here so people don't miss it.]

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 2, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

I think we've found our solution to the Nats offense: hire Jorge Julio to pitch relief against us for every team we play. Had it not been for that 3-run 13th by the Rockies, he would have blown yet another game. How is this guy still at the major-league level?

Posted by: Ashburn | October 2, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Like that stupid cell phone commercial, Barry's working in a place called Philacleveheimnix. Man, I wish I was too.

Posted by: SuicideSqueeze | October 2, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I just looked at the Nats site and there's an item saying that Young was named comeback player of the year. Congrats, Meat Hook!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Farid over at the Beltway Boys also says the Nats should sign Glavine.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 2, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Natsfan1a, I think you just scooped our favorite beat writer!

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 2, 2007 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Well, scooped by about 6 minutes anyway, new post.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 2, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, Barry. :(

---

Natsfan1a, I think you just scooped our favorite beat writer!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Someone needs to teach Matt Holliday how to slide. Felipe Lopez has a sweet feet- first slide past the catcher where he reaches out and touches the plate with his left hand. Matt's head-first slide not only didn't touch the plate, but knocked him out so that he couldn't roll over and touch the plate. Umpire Tim McClelland takes his time with a signal anyhow - ask Dave Jaegler. (Remember the "infield fly rule" call during the rain in Miami?) Did TBS or anyone have an arial shot of the slide? Shame on them! What a game!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Barry, please pass on best wishes to Jamey, and Ramon, and Livo, and Alfonso, and Vinny when you see them. Ask Livo if he'd be interested in coming back to DC for a bit, eh? I did always hear that he had a certain interest in throwing out the first pitch come April 2008. Gosh, I miss that guy.

Posted by: Atlanta | October 2, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Good for Jamey. I'll also be at game 2 in Cleveland, should be a great atmosphere. If you love Shawn Hill and his sinker wait til Fausto Carmona gets it going. I believe he lead the league in groundball outs this year and is the best pitcher no one has heard of. He should (but won't) get some serious consideration for Cy Young. Enjoy Cleveland Barry, it should be fun.

Posted by: NRCreager | October 2, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Props to Jamey Carroll, he is also the ex-NAT that I miss most.

Posted by: A Hardwick (Formerly Sec 417... | October 2, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Li-vo Li-vo Li-vo!!

---

Atlanta offered: Ask Livo if he'd be interested in coming back to DC for a bit, eh? I did always hear that he had a certain interest in throwing out the first pitch come April 2008. Gosh, I miss that guy.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Last night's game was the entire NL season in microcosm, right down to the Nats playing a key role at the end (well, an ex-Nat, anyway).

Posted by: myow | October 2, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barry; Gonna be rough just you and Shinner covering all those playoff games. Tell your boss to hire a few more warm bodies to cover Major League Baseball. Oh thats right, the Posts baseball coverage is limited to subscriber interest. Sorry I guess you and Dave will have to make do!

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | October 2, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Jamey Carroll. He is my favorite ex-Nat.

Posted by: jpsfanandproudofit | October 2, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Barry, do you need anyone to carry your bags or bring you food/drinks while you cover the teams? The Post ought to offer fans the chance to win a day with Barry at the ballpark. You have a great job!

Posted by: Nats Fan | October 2, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Always liked Jamey Carroll. A real scrapper. Gee, am I for the Phillies or the Rockies? ;-)

Posted by: Section 406 | October 2, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Jamey Carroll. Man, what a scrappy ball player he is. Nice guy too. Back in 2005, before a game, he took the time to sign my 5 year old son's ball, high fived him and called him "buddy". It made his year.

Posted by: Section 505 | October 2, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

At the games that I attended during his tenure, I saw Carroll signing more frequently than many other players. I liked his fundamentally sound play and the fact that he played when and where he was asked to without complaint. He also seemed to be at Frank's side taking it all in whenever he was riding the pine. I suspect that he might make a great manager some day. Truth be told, I cried when I heard that he'd been sent to Colorado not long after his mother's passing.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

p.s. There is crying in baseball if you're female, which I am, or even sometimes if you're not.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 2, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

How could a Scrub Fan not love Jamie Carroll?

I would love to get Livo back, as long as he didn't cost a draft pick.

Posted by: Scrub fan | October 2, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse