Millar, HGH and Pre-Game 7 craziness

Two quick things:

1. Kevin Millar, a current member of the Baltimore Orioles, will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch -- and reading the Red Sox lineup on FOX -- before Game 7. If you were, say, Brian Roberts or Nick Markakis or any other current Oriole, would this bother you? (I mean, you're in the same division, right?)

2. Paul Byrd, as reported by the San Francisco Chronicle, has purchased nearly $25,000 of human growth hormone. It is possible that, if the Indians advance, he could be suspended before the World Series. But what if he comes in and gets nine big outs tonight?

Thoughts on any of this?

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 21, 2007; 7:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 7 Lineups
Next: Bowden, Kasten and the World Series

Comments

I happen to believe Byrd when he says a doc prescribed them to him.

Posted by: Andrew S. | October 21, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Paul Byrd certainly didn't sound guilty.

God I hope the Red Sox lose. I'm so sick of these Boston people and their damn bloody socks and Tom Brady and... This team is as evil as the Yankees ever were, and I for one hate them more. They at least don't expect to be everyone's darling.

Oh, and why does Tim McCarver keep saying they need to yank Jake Westbrook every inning? Has he ever heard of "overmanaging"???

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | October 21, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

"Then I prayed and realized that God was in control of my life and He wouldn't want me making money through cheating the system. I told those stupid voices that masquerade as smart ones to shut up! I am not unaware of the Evil One's schemes."

--Paul Byrd

Sheesh! That's exactly what Joe Boyd thought and said about Mr. Applegate!

As for the alleged marketing problems, if there are true, a simple lawsuit should fix the problem.

Posted by: Viva Livan | October 21, 2007 9:39 PM | Report abuse

WHERE WASN'T HE GOING?? WHAT WASN'T HE DOING?? LOFTON HOLDS AT THIRD!!

Posted by: love | October 21, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Agreed about the Red Sox. I realize I feel more passionate disgust for them than the Yankees. The Yankees it's muted with satisfied pity. The Sox it's in full force. Memo to Red Sox nation, you are not God's gift to baseball. You're the same thing the Yankees were eight years ago.

I know it's getty pretty smelly, Rox, but don't change that underwear yet.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 21, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

a) redsox will deserve scorn as yanx now do when sox have rubbed people's noses in their alleged superiority for decades and decades, not just 2004-2007.

b)paul byrd's purchases of HGH ceased one week prior to baseball's ban on the substance. you shouldn't be prosecuted -- or even harassed -- for doing something that was not only legal, but not even prohibited by your employer, at the time.

Posted by: slangist | October 22, 2007 5:21 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Millar has a special connection to the city of Boston.

I don't care if B-Rob and Nick are bothered by his appearance. Kevin pulled it off and it was great!

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 6:45 AM | Report abuse

Very wise on Boston's need for more gloating. I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

You heard it here first. The Rockies and the Red Socks have a Rock 'em, Sock 'em World Series. 7 games. Who knows who wins.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 22, 2007 8:00 AM | Report abuse

It sounds as though -- like many others -- Paul Byrd, at worst, gamed the system.

The amount of hand-wringing expended over cases like his should be in proportion to the good it would do. And the good that needs to be done is to curb present abuses and prevent future ones.

We'll see how effectively that's accomplished with all that Mitchell money.

Posted by: Hendo | October 22, 2007 8:01 AM | Report abuse

LOL....gloating
The atmosphere at The Fens last night was something that Camden Yards has NEVER experienced.

Kevin is playing for the Orioles, but has no expectations to be playing this time of year ever again.

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 8:03 AM | Report abuse

One would think that Millar's appearance might raise some eyebrows in Baltimore.

Turns out that maybe you *can* buy a title, after all. Re. Sox fans: chanting the opposing pitcher's name in a taunting manner is bush, IMO. Goooo, ROCKIES!!!

Re. Byrd: I'm inclined to agree with slangist. Interesting how at least some of the names that have been leaked have been players on contending teams. Selective leaking, perhaps? Is it just me, or does Youkalis have a very large head??

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 22, 2007 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Red Sox story idea:

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 22, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah great timing on the Byrd story. That's pretty bush league and the San Fran guys, especially when you hear the story and what Byrd had to say about it. I think it's pretty obvious that he was doing this with a doctor's prescription and wasn't trying to cover anything up. As he said before the game he used his credit card, social security number and kept the meds in clubhouse refridgerators. I don't think anything will happen to Byrd as a reult nor should it. Pretty low on the reports part too. Like this couldn't have waited until after the season. I'd like to hear what Barry or Dave think about the timing of the report.

Posted by: NRCreager | October 22, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I get the angle, Barry, but I think it would be the height of pettiness for either Markakis or Roberts to resent Millar. Millar is not the reason that the Orioles have a wretched history under Angelos' ownership.

If I were Roberts, I might be cussing myself for having signed that contract extension. (Or I might not. But if I were, why should I take it out on Millar?)

Posted by: Hendo | October 22, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

What difference does it make about Millar? Look at the stats -- the Orioles are, have been for the last 10 years, and will be for the foreseeable future, an also-ran team. They're incompetently run from top to bottom, and it's obvious that even their very faithful fans have figured that out by finding other places to go on summer evenings. It's a sign of how directionless the O's are that Millar even wants to hang out with Sox fans.

Posted by: KevinR | October 22, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

"Turns out that maybe you *can* buy a title, after all. Re. Sox fans: chanting the opposing pitcher's name in a taunting manner is bush IMO."

LOL, spoken like a fan from a second division club, in a small market town! Charges of "buying" a title are ridiculous and when you have the revenue, why not spend it (WITHIN THE RULES OF BASEBALL) and put the best product on the field?

The fans chanting "Westbrook, Westbrook, Westbrook" is bush eh?

LOL....just be thankful Paul Byrd didn't get in the game (he was originally scheduled to be the first one out of the pen for the Tribe)....after the HGH stories yesterday, the fenway faithrul would have been on him like white on rice and probably would have made his mama cry.

Seriously, the Sox came back from 3-1 against a VERY GOOD Indians team. Looking forward to the series.

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm having trouble getting too worked up over the Millar thing. Theoretically I can certainly find reasons to object to it, but it just doesn't seem all that incongruous under the circumstances. Would we object if Livo threw out the first pitch for the Nats sometime? Nah, we'd welcome him back as an old friend. I realize that's the argument in reverse, but the Nats don't have anyone on the roster that would be invited to do this for another MLB team. Could Ken Griffey throw the first pitch at a Mariners game without causing an uproar in Cinci? I think so. Players move around these days. I don't like it but I guess I'm getting used to it.

Paul Byrd, another drip in what is probably going to be a pretty full bucket. Hopefully the Mitchell report will close the book on this ugly chapter in MLB history.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 22, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I take it this means that you are not a Nats fan.

---

LOL, spoken like a fan from a second division club, in a small market town!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 22, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Kevin Millar has wanted to come back to Boston since the moment he was released. Thats fact. Ask manager Terry Francona who sends him more text messages than anyone else and Millar will be the answer. He has a connection with this city and its normal for the Red Sox to use him for inspiration last night and for people to realize that YES he is a Baltimore Oriole, but they aren't playing right now.....when the O's start working again, Kevin will be there.

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 9:53 AM | Report abuse

slangist - you're the one who didn't know that Peter Angelos fired Jon Miller for saying where he was taking his wife to dinner at the end of his last Oriole's broadcast. Angelos was enraged at Jon's not taking the Oriole's loss more seriously. And your argument for Paul Byrd also exonerates Barry Bonds.

Posted by: flynnie | October 22, 2007 10:22 AM | Report abuse

New post.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 22, 2007 10:33 AM | Report abuse

It occurs to me that this was perhaps directed at Indians fans, which I do not happen to be (see my moniker). I do, however, like to pick teams to root for in the postseason. In this case, that would be (a) the Indians and (b) the Rockies. Goooooooooo Rockies!!

---

LOL, spoken like a fan from a second division club, in a small market town!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 22, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Let's play fair in our criticism, friends. When we pushed for a baseball team in DC, one of our big arguments was that the DC area had high per capita income and was the largest market without a team. Can't really complain too much about a team that, over the past decade, has shown how useful those tools are in building an organization.

I hope the Lerners are flexible enough in the "plan" to spend a little on reasonable free agents while we develop the organizational talent stock. You can do both.

Posted by: jon | October 22, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

"It occurs to me that this was perhaps directed at Indians fans, which I do not happen to be (see my moniker)."

If it occured to you....I will say that you were the only one. My comment wasn't directed an ANY specific fans.

Claiming somebody "BUYS" a pennant is an "excuse" the small market/second division teams like to fall on when they don't win.

Whats funny is that you never hear that crap when the teams that have/spend the money get beat. So if the Rockies win the series, it won't be because they have a smaller payroll, just like if the Sox win it won't be because they spent more.

High payroll doesn't guarantee success. I don't see anybody from any other clubs placing a lock on the wallets of Mr. Lerner and Mr. Angelos. The teams with high payrolls actually DEPOSIT money into these guys.

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

the point is that millar isn't a red sox anymore, he's an oriole. if he were a former player, now retired, i wouldn't have a problem with him throwing out the first pitch at fenway, announcing the sox lineup, taking out their lineup card, whatever. but he's still an active player who is employed by and is playing for a division rival. to stand up with his former team in a public setting, to me, crosses a line. i have to wonder, if he's hitting at some point against schilling (assuming he's still with boston) or timlin with a game on the line, or if a game situation calls for him to run over veritek at the plate, just how hard he's going to play. on the other hand, i'm sure his orioles teammates know him as a person -- both how comptetive he is and where his allegiances lie -- and it's for them to say whether or not it's an issue. but from where i sit, it just doesn't look right.

Posted by: blueson | October 22, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

"I don't get it, but its Millar, so whatever it is, he can pull it off." (Sox Manager Terry Francona)

LOL...Millar running over TEK is laugh out loud hysterical too!

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

...and ANOTHER thing!

Keep in mind that the Cleveland Indians were selling "Cleveland Indian 2007 American League Champion T-shirts" after game 5 (last Thursday).....somebody mentioned "BUSH" earlier.

Ya gotta win 4 for a ring, not three.
Maybe three is THE NEW 4 in Ohio, I don't know....ROFLMAO

Posted by: caphcky | October 22, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Get a grip, folks! It's 2007. Even Gibson and Drysdale would hesitate to "head hunt". After all, the player that you deck in August may be a teammate in February.

This is one of the products of free agency. The type of loyalty that players exhibited toward their club was a product of long term bonding with teammates, often living in the city where you played, because you needed an off season job (see Cindy [can't think of her last name]'s book about the off season lives of the Dodger players) and players didn't all live in Florida or Texas simply because of the tax advantages.

If Millar assumes that the O's are going nowhere (good assumption) over the next decade, then why not do something to be a part of a possible W/S win?

As far as the Paul Byrd thing is concerned, well I'm sort of on the fence. Other than what Raffy Palmiero advertised, I'm somewhat dubious about exactly how effective they are for baseball players (although you could make the case that what Keith Hernandez advertises could enhance the opportunity for performance) and how illegal they are. First, someone with as much money as these guys can always find a "Dr. Feelgood" to prescribe almost anything. Second, if T.J. surgery actually makes the ligaments in an elbow stronger, which it is supposed to, then isn't that some sort of performance enhancing medical change? Just asking.

Posted by: Catcher50 | October 22, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse