My Name is Barry Svrluga and I Am Wearing No Pants!

Just kidding! OK, this is really Dave Sheinin, but I'm operating on Barry's log-in here while I'm waiting on the good folks at washingtonpost.com to hook me up with one of my own, and I thought I would have a little fun at Barry's expense -- since he was dumb enough to give out his log-in and password to a known prankster like me. To repeat, no matter what it says below about who posted this, it is really, truly Dave Sheinin. And to the best of my knowledge, Barry is indeed wearing pants

Actually, I'm just looking for a way to distract you folks from the reality of the situation, which is that I have almost nothing to offer you from Fenway Park. I take that back: I have the Red Sox's lineup for tonight: Pedroia, Youkilis, Ortiz, Ramirez, Lowell, Drew, Varitek, Crisp, Lugo.

Red Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka was in the interview room earlier, but that was a giant waste of time. He said basically nothing. (Example: Q: How would you compare the physical demands of this season to demands of other seasons in Japan? A: I don't think that there has been a big difference.)

I don't even have a good restaurant review, having just parachuted into town a few hours ago.

But there will be a game in a couple of hours, and now that we have established a relationship, I hope I can uphold the lofty standards of The Blog Formerly Known as Nationals Journal. Thanks to Barry and the rest of you for cutting me in on the action.

And I hope you all are wearing pants.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 3, 2007; 4:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 1 Lineups: Phillies vs. Rockies
Next: Oh my God! Where are my pants?

Comments

After reading the title I went no pants. After explaining the situation, I calmy lifted them.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 3, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

I meant, "After the situation was explained, I calmy lifted them."

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 3, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

uh, Andrew Stebbins, you are at home and not at work, right?

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

GO SAWX !!!!

I am wearing a dress. Does that count as "wearing no pants"?

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 3, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Go, Rally Monkey! (The Angels still have one, right?)

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Geeze, Sheinin, you suck!

Or is this Barry, trying to make us think he's Sheinin, trying to make us think he's Barry, to make us think Sheinin sucks?

Welcome to the Journal, Dave, we're delighted to have you! Hope you enjoy it, we're real appreciative of you and Barry keeping us going for October.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 3, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Go, Rally Monkey! (The Angels still have one, right?)"

I don't think he goes to away games, so they are on their own tonight.

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 3, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Good point, one of!

---

I don't think he goes to away games, so they are on their own tonight.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

one of Barry's Babes...where you been? We haven't seen your posts in awhile. Did the Post's-Nats-Coverage rants scare you off?

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

So, has this post become the AL post for the evening and the other one the NL post?

I'm all for it if that's what the voters are saying.

Go Halos (or anyone else annoying Sawx fans are playing)!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | October 3, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I have been touring the world...gone all of September to Greece, Israel, Eqypt & Italy. The CNN International channel managed to tell me more than I ever wanted to know about OJ Simpson, but refused to report even a single baseball score during that time. Talk about withdrawal !

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 3, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Is this the Pants Party?

Posted by: NRCreager | October 3, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that there isn't a pants raid!

That's very cool, one of (the trip, not the baseball drought)!

Yes, SNF, there's a separate NL thread (with pants, I believe).

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Go Halos (or anyone else annoying Sawx fans are playing)!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | October 3, 2007 04:45 PM

================

Yep, that's what it will take for the Halos to win...they'd have to be playing the Sawx FANS, instead of the actual team.

[Alright, Ortiz, don't make me eat my words tonight !]

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 3, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Dave sans pantaloons. You should know that we expect a little more from our pre-game lineups posts here. The standard typically includes listing batting average and position (although often times there is more than one centerfielder ...)

We're glad you're here with us but this is a high class operation so pull-up your socks (and your pants) and get with the program :)

Posted by: lowcountrynatsfan | October 3, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

True. Barry's set the bar pretty high. But I think this Sheinin kid has a very high ceiling.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

First thoughts when I read the title was that the same folks who once beat up Santa Claus cornered our Mr. Svrluga. I was more surprised to find out it was in fact Mr. Sheinin. Welcome sir. Enjoy your stay. Tighten up those lineup posts and we'll all get along just fine :-)

Posted by: MKevin | October 3, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, I, as noted in another thread, believed that the de-pantsing was a silent homage to the Phanatic.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut,

Little hint to help save clicks... open both posts in separate tabs of IE 7.0 or Mozilla (whichever you use).

========================

What if I wanna say something on both? We gotta flip back and forth?

Sheesh. This is going to be the most unproductive month the whole season.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 3, 2007 04:52 PM

Posted by: MKevin | October 3, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Home, of course.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 3, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

...but I didnt realize what was going on until I got home from school, errrrr, work, yeah work.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 3, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

My daughter's home now so Scooby Doo has taken over the TV. I'm officially kicked off. I'll be reading National Pastime while following on GameCast.

Go Sawx!

Posted by: MKevin | October 3, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to be offline for the most part, too. Carry on...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 3, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Combining the Nats-orientation and the ALDS themes tonight:
1) Maicer Izturis and Juan Rivera for Jose Guillen - there is your power hitting outfielder and your promising middle infielder. The money on Guillen and Guzman could have been spent for a 1 year contract for Kevin Millwood, who led the AL in ERA in 2005 and signed for a song with Cleveland that year. Thanks, Jim.
2) Watch Willits and Izturis tonight. IF we don't get Andruw / Torii / Aaron, I would not mind Willits as a leadoff hitter. Takes a lot of pitches, good OBP, and runs. Not sure if we really need the power upgrade if Kearns has a bounce-back year. We have Pena and Schneider, whose best offensive skill is power. Zimmerman should still mature into power. A healthy Johnson or even Dmitri is still more corner power. I'm not sure of the position match up, but since Willits is really their 4th/5th OF (behind Vladi, Anderson, Matthews, and probably Rivera when fully healthy), Church might be a good fit (they could use pop off the bench), along with maybe a 4th starter / long man type. Izturis or Aybar would be others I'd like if we got a big time CF as an FA.

Posted by: jon | October 3, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Sure, but then we would have missed the delightful antics of Jose Guillen. And Barry, for one, (and me for two!) would have sorely missed that.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 3, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Ok, maybe don't watch Willits tonight.

Posted by: jon | October 3, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Your reasoning regarding not trading for Jose Guillen means no Michael Burgess since if Guillen had not been traded for, he could not have signed with Seattle thereby giving the Nats the pick they usedto select Burgess

Posted by: Guillen Trade | October 4, 2007 7:12 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for that. I knew they got a supplemental pick for losing Guillen to Seattle this year but I couldn't remember who they got for him.

============================

Posted by: Guillen Trade | October 4, 2007 07:12 AM

Posted by: MKevin | October 4, 2007 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Burgess is nice, but not major league ready power hitter that like Rivera was (he's a stud, too). Lot's can go wrong between GSL and the NL. In 2005 the Nats did not miss the Division by much. One year of Millwood in 2005 might have been enough, and we certainly would have been better off with anyone other than Guzzie in 2005. This isn't hindsight, either - lot's of people said this at the time (like Baseball Prospectus 2005).

Posted by: jon | October 4, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Sweet! Pants are for squares.

Posted by: surlychick | October 4, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

prodayu kvartiru kapotnya severnoe chertanovo prodazha kvartir prodazha kvartir malahitovaya kvartira novyy gorodok pokupka kvartir g ufa prodazha kvartir m planernaya 2 aya kvartira algoritm pokupki kvartiry kvartiry obninsk ceny

Posted by: pokupka kvartir g ufa | December 14, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk

Posted by: nedvizhimost sdayu tomsk | December 16, 2007 2:23 AM | Report abuse