Nighttime Update

Hi there -- this is neither Barry Svrluga nor Dave Sheinin, but one of several washingtonpost.com editors who will also start posts here during the playoffs, so we can talk about the games Barry and Dave are not covering. One of those is tonight's Cubs-Diamondbacks opener, which is scoreless in the early going. Submit a comment to talk about what you see out there.

Diamondbacks beat Cubs, 3-1

Today's finals:
Rockies 4, Phillies 2
Red Sox 4, Angels 0

So, what did you think?

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  October 3, 2007; 10:33 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oh my God! Where are my pants?
Next: Bits and pieces: Philly

Comments

How interesting... We are seeing all sorts of new faces (?) here on the nats journal in the past day.

Anyway, I thought that Beckett looked absolutely nasty tonight and that if the Sox can really hold down a 3 man rotation for the first 2 rounds they will be unstoppable.

The Rockies are a great story, so my heart is with them i guess.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | October 3, 2007 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Pants are optional when working virtually. Wining the first game on the road is huge in a 5 game series.

Posted by: NatBisquit | October 3, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Really very much appreciate the Post Sports Editor's interest in baseball fans. I don't want to wake the sleeping dogs among the posters, but I think we've tend to feel overlooked, behind football games, football practices, football rumors and on and on and on.

Listened to the Sox/Angels game (no TBS at home). Beckett was a steam roller over the Halos line up. Agree with Natsinthevalley on the prospects for the Sox rotation.

Also caught some of the Rox radio intro to the Rockies/Phillies game. I thought I heard the announcers say that from the replays, Matt Holliday touched home plate with an index finger. I like the Rockies, (if they're not playing the Nats) so I hope that's not just home town promotion.

It would be interesting to listen to the D-backs and Cubs game, but I need to get some sleep. I don't know why I was thinking I'd get more sleep after the Nats season was over. I guess after the World Series ends, I'll go into hibernation (or suspended animation) until pitchers and catchers report.

Posted by: Sect 422 | October 3, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey 422, its only 4 and a half months til pitchers and catchers!!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | October 3, 2007 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Webb loads it in the 6th, but manages to get out of it. That is the kind of pitching that we need to devleop here. But what in the world is TBS thinking with Ron Darling?!

Posted by: Nats 444 | October 3, 2007 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, everyone, I think we should take JayB's advice and only live in a world of gloom and desolation and most especially bitterness. All jokes stop now and talk about what's really important: how entitled we are!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 3, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Zambrano bats with 2 out and bases loaded in the top of the 6th, tied 1-1. That could very well be the at-bat of the game.

Can't say I disagree with the call to let Zambrano hit, as he's their best shot to match Webb, but it sure gives a good example of why DH promoters (both of them?) say the AL is better. I haven't seen a lot of AL games this year (seems like only the BoSox and Yanks are ever on TV) and it always inspires some thinking about different situations and all.

BTW, think what you want about the DH, but you gotta admit, for the All-Star game, you pretty much have to concede the DH makes more sense for that game to see more hitters and who wants to see a pitcher hit in the All-Star game?

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | October 3, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Taking Zambrano out after 85 pitches, the inning after his at-bat with bases loaded.

NOW I will second-guess that call, if his leash was that short!

Posted by: ShawNatsFan | October 3, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

DH is akin to steroids. I came over from the American League side, so I have learned this watching the Nats. The only point of it is to inflate offensive numbers in a game and reduce a headache (read: strategy) for managers. If people want a sport with constant excitement, they should watch football.

Not trying to slam you Shaw! It's like training wheels, great for aluminum bat ball, but by the time you switch to wood you ought to be able to play the game totally, which includes batting.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 4, 2007 12:02 AM | Report abuse

506, football for constant excitment? really? Lets run a 6 second play and then stop and talk about it for 3 minutes until we run another 6 second play. I would much rather watch a game of strategy like baseball, as I am sure you would too. Go former nats!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | October 4, 2007 12:07 AM | Report abuse

I was happy to see the Phillies lose, sad to see the Cubs lose. It would be great to see Cubs-Indians or Cubs-Red Sox. The TV folks would rather the second, I am sure.

Posted by: Scrub fan | October 4, 2007 5:02 AM | Report abuse

Snark rating: 8.5
_____________

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 3, 2007 11:42 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2007 6:15 AM | Report abuse

Sect. 506's post = comebacker snark

---

Snark rating: 8.5

Posted by: Snark categorizer | October 4, 2007 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Cool, we get even more coverage! Would this be the editor who is a Cleveland fan? I'm rootin' for them in the AL (I like the lower payroll teams and I promised my 86-year-old aunt that I would).

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Using a DH in grownup baseball is ridiculous, but genies like that and the hockey shootout are very hard to get back into the bottle.

It's fascinating to look at lineup strategies in the league where the pitcher bats. For example, if Sean Marshall were on the Cubs' postseason roster (and it's a bit curious that he's not -- are they worried about that rotator cuff?), I'd go with Lilly-Marshall-Zambrano and send Rich Hill to the bullpen, because Zambrano can hit.

Same with Livo. He's a league-average pitcher, but he can swing a bat too, which is an argument in favor of the Snakes' using a four-man vs. a three-man rotation in the postseason.

Posted by: Hendo | October 4, 2007 8:42 AM | Report abuse

506 goes 1 for 1 in his first AB of the Snarkseason.

Controversy this morning over Sweet Lou's decision to pull Zambrano in the sixth after 85 pitches, tied 1-1. Lou says he did it because he wants to bring Big Z back on Sunday on short rest, and because he trusts his bullpen.

Well, his bullpen (Carlos Marmol) promptly gave up the game winning homer to lead off the seventh.

Does that mean Lou's decision was a bad one? Maybe, but the Cubs didn't score anyway so the point is largely moot in my mind. If the Cubs had been up 3-0 and lost 4-3, different story.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 4, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

With Marmol in his bullpen, Lou made a reasonable choice.

Yes, that's an old-fogey utterance. Here's another: You can rest in November.

Posted by: Hendo | October 4, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Watching a MLB baseball game is so much like watching old guys play slow pitch softball. As long as the AL insists on the DH, why not let them use a 10th fielder too? (That was sarcasm.)

Posted by: 6th and D | October 4, 2007 9:05 AM | Report abuse

or snarkasm?

Posted by: 6th and D | October 4, 2007 9:15 AM | Report abuse

"Short rest, sigh. Pitching every fourth day used to be the norm (back in the day when ballgames were under three hours)."

Pitching every fourth day AND pitching 10+ complete games a year. (My all-time favorite pitcher, Tom Seaver, AVERAGED almost 12 complete games over his 20-year career!)

Posted by: NoVaSnow | October 4, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Wow... so many good topics here this AM.

On the subject of pulling pitchers early in a short series - I thought about that last night when Francona sent Beckett back out for the 9th. You had two examples of opposite strategies. Pinella pulls Zambrano to save him for another start, Francona stretches Beckett out to insure a win in game 1. Both have their merits but I tend to side with Hendo "you can rest in November". In the post season, wins and losses are paramount. Nothing, save the health of the players, is more important. Saving a guy so he can work on short rest is fine if you have a huge lead. With a game's outcome still in question and a pitcher on cruise control, you have to leave him in.

DH - I too was an AL fan (read O's fan until their disgraceful demise after 97). I moved to San Francisco in '00 and adopted the Giants. What I found was a more exciting brand of baseball. More strategy, more decisions, more management. What the heck is the logic behind hitting for the pitcher anyway? Because they're typically not great hitters? Does that mean we should have a 2nd DH that can be use interchangeably between SS/2B/CF/C considering on most teams at least one of these positions is fielded by a light-hitting defensive specialist? Gimme a break. Grab a bat. Remember, chicks dig the longball.

I always struggle with the idea that pitchers can't be good hitters. Guys in HS and college pitch and play positions all the time which means they also hit and a lot of them do so very well. They don't turn into "poor hitters" until they get into the pro levels where they switch focus to pitching only. Seems to me like there could be a way to strike a balance between the two and not have this big offensive hole in your lineup.

That's just an outsider's view point. I'd love to hear Catcher50's take on it.

Anyway, I'm afraid the DH is here to stay no matter how awful it is. You usually hear the argument for consistency. Either have the DH in both leagues or in neither. Personally, I think there's a better chance of the NL converting to the DH than the AL getting rid of it. The MLBPA would never allow the dissolution of the DH because it means jobs for players who wouldn't have them without the DH. Guys like Harold Baines, Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez would have/had significantly shorter careers without it.

Posted by: MKevin | October 4, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Cubs have tried to "buy IT"(World series)--hope they lose. Go Rockies---Philly's fans don't deserve a winner. They BOOED EVERY Nat in that last series up there.Go Red Sox--can't stand Socioa. He was SOOOO disrespectful to Frank Robinson after we caught his pitcher with pine tar in his glove!Want the Yanks to win ,then duke it out with Boston.What more could you ask for???

Posted by: Rip in Bethany | October 4, 2007 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Note to "one of several Washingtonpost.com ediitors:' I assume the Post allows you to use your name(s) in the real world. Please use them here. We are friends in a close-knit enviroment.

So to Dave, or Steve or Sue or Billy Jean, tell us who you are. We care.

This isn't the politics section, after all

Posted by: Farid @ Beltway Boys | October 4, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

The anonymous editor probably isn't wearing any pants.

Posted by: Hendo | October 4, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"The anonymous editor probably isn't wearing any pants."

Liz...?

For anyone who didn't check it out, Barry's got a great gamer on the Philly Phailure.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 4, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

New post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

MKevin said "I'm afraid the DH is here to stay no matter how awful it is. You usually hear the argument for consistency. Either have the DH in both leagues or in neither. Personally, I think there's a better chance of the NL converting to the DH than the AL getting rid of it. The MLBPA would never allow the dissolution of the DH because it means jobs for players who wouldn't have them without the DH. Guys like Harold Baines, Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez would have/had significantly shorter careers without it."

That is exactly right and that is also exactly why the Congress of the United States must be the body in charge of appointing Baseball's Commissioner. That Commissioner must be the absolute power in baseball, not bending to Unions or Owners.

If Judge Landis were alive today, and still running baseball what a gem of a game we would have.

If baseball is to enjoy its current anti-trust deal, then the people of the United States need a say in who runs it.

Posted by: 6th and D | October 4, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

AND let me add, that a congressionally appointed commissioner should ban the DH. Ban ban ban. The DH is soooo lame that the AL might as well add a 10th fielder too just like slow pitch softball! I don't care if Frank Thomas has a job. SF let Bonds hit just so they can enjoy the fruits of his "record". BUT, they paid mightily on defense.

Posted by: 6th and D | October 4, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I dunno, I thought it was a little excessive for the situation, myself, but then I had to go look up the JayB post.

Which I honestly can't quite figure out -- is he saying WaPo editors demonstrated policies, or the policies demonstrated, [something] about Barry's day off?
"I get it, and I do not get it."
--T.S. Elliot

-----------
506 goes 1 for 1 in his first AB of the Snarkseason.
Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 4, 2007 08:49 AM
----------------
Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 3, 2007 11:42 PM
------------------
Yup sure glad we are not wasting our time discussing WPost Sports Editors policies as they demonstrated when Barry took a day off (perhaps a big issue with Barry leaving next year)....look what we would have missed.
Posted by: JayB | October 3, 2007 08:29 PM

Posted by: cevans | October 4, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll confess that I didn't get the policy thing either, cevans.

---

"I get it, and I do not get it."
--T.S. Elliot