NLCS Game 3: Lineups

They are currently blaring what sounds like a Melissa Etheridge album into the press box. Not sure why. I can say that I would like it if they would MAKE IT STOP.

Tarp is on at Coors Field. Wind is blowing in from left. It's going to be a chilly one -- though by Tuesday, it's supposed to be 70 degrees.

Here's your lineups:

Todd Helton -- 3
Garrett Atkins -- 5
Brad Hawpe -- 9
Troy Tulowitzki -- 6
Yorvit Torrealba -- 2
Josh Fogg -- 1

I've talked and written a lot about the Rockies' lineup, but the best hitters aren't performing in the postseason yet. Here's a version of a chart from this morning's Denver Post:

Atkins -- 5 for 20, 1 RBI
Holliday -- 4 for 21, 3 RBI
Tulowitzki -- 4 for 21, 2 RBI
Helton -- 2 for 20, 1 RBI

That's 15 for 82 (.183) with seven RBI.

MLB officials just had a weather meeting, and all indications are they'll be able to get this in without a problem. It's not supposed to get any worse than it is right now, and it's just drizzling. It'll get colder -- down to 40 degrees -- but we should be able to play.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 14, 2007; 4:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The ticking clock
Next: Chat at 2 p.m.

Comments

Here's to extra innings, what George Wallace of WTOP calls "free baseball!" I watched every riveting inning of the Tribe's Triumph called by Jon Miller and Joe Morgan on ESPN 1000 AM from Chicago, then I watched the Cleveland post-game show, then "All Bets Are Off" with the incredibly gracious and happy Bruce Drennan. RobertL-if you had a choice, would you attend the early music festival in Utrecht or stay here to watch October Baseball?

Posted by: flynnie | October 14, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Aren't you entitled to have a quiet pressbox in which to work, Mr. Svrluga? Surely you can MAKE IT STOP? I can't imagine working in that racket and you and your fellow shy and retiring colleagues should cowboy up and demand a quiet press box.

Posted by: flynnie | October 14, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Eric Byrnes item, Barry. I liked the Hurdle quote: "I can't control what other people say, think or do," Colorado Manager Clint Hurdle said. "Perception's a wonderful thing." Sound advice for baseball and for life generally. Byrnes brings to mind his appearances floating around McCovey Cove during the All-Star game. His dog was a co-star (Byrnes wouldn't let him have the mike, either) but had to be rescued by some nearby fans after Byrnes threw a ball into the water from the boat on which he and the hound were floating and the dog jumped in after it. What the ???

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 14, 2007 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy up = funny! Where's Millah when you need him?

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 14, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the continued coverage! Knowing what music is playing is a bonus! ;-)

Is it true that George Steinbrenner is stepping down?

Posted by: Nats Fan | October 14, 2007 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that George Steinbrenner is stepping down?

Posted by: NatsFan | October 14, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

"MAKE IT STOP"

Could be worse, Barry. Could be "Hannah Montana".

Tums anyone?

Posted by: Viva Livan | October 14, 2007 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I thought Livo was going to need some tums when he gave up that Holliday homer. He did not look pleased. But he does look like he's lost some weight. And also that he stole John Patterson's red glove. Hmm.

Posted by: Atlanta | October 14, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, Livo (but you look mahvelous). Gooooo Rocks!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 14, 2007 10:43 PM | Report abuse

Typical Livan outing. Too many pitches, too many baserunners allowed. He certainly knows what he's doing out there, but he makes his share of mistakes, and he has no margin for error anymore Personally, I don't exactly miss him in the Nats rotation.

Posted by: blueson | October 14, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Livan allowed 4 runs to what Charlie and Dave said were the most formidable 1-7 batters in the National League. And he's so much fun to watch! And he has pitched more innings in the last 5 years than anyone in baseball. And he won game 3 against the Cubs. 4 runs would not have lost the game for any team in the post-season other than the anemic Diamondbacks. It was a fun game to watch. The fielding was phenomenal in those conditions. I'm disappointed for Livan, as I imagine are many of my fellow journalers, who, if they are Redskins fans, have had a tough day.

Posted by: flynnie | October 15, 2007 1:27 AM | Report abuse

Great feature on Livan, Barry. "Take a Tums, Arizona Fans." And "Now, I go to sleep." After the game, Todd Helton said that he was talking to Livan before the game getting hitting tips. "The guy can hit!" How sweet to see him pounce on that dribbler and throw out the runner at third! How many times this post-season when that move has proved fatal? I can think of one, with Ruiz of the Phillies leaving the bases loaded. I had no idea that the Rockies lead the league in fielding percentage. Helton said that they were throwing that wet ball hard tonight, and he kept having to catch sinkers and spitballs. What a high level of baseball for miserable conditions. At first I thought the game should've been called- that TV profits were forcing baseball to be played in football weather, and that it was unfair and dangerous to the players. But the weather proved what extraordinary baseball we are privileged to watch.

Posted by: flynnie | October 15, 2007 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Great gamer, as usual, Barry! "Hernandez answer: Slop." And I love that you noticed and described to us Livan's sulking at being lifted.

Posted by: flynnie | October 15, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Great totally different gamer, Barry, featuring the matchup between Livan and Torrealba. If anyone said that Torrealba was his catcher at the Giants, I must've missed it, and thank you for letting us know. The battle between two old warriors who know one another so well was really interesting and poignant, with a sunset feel to it.

Posted by: flynnie | October 15, 2007 2:42 AM | Report abuse

Barry, you mentioned going to watch the Javelinas play. Has this article already come and gone or is it still in the hopper?

Posted by: Mick | October 15, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, kids are growing up thinking that all that noise is the way ball parks should be, just as we grew up thinking organ music (pretty corny in most other settings) was very cool at the game. Oh, well. Everything changes (Buddhism 101), but rarely for the better (saltydogism 101).

Posted by: salty dog | October 15, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Evidently there is a tag-team chat this afternoon:

"Washington Post baseball writers Dave Sheinin and Barry Svrluga will be online Monday, Oct. 15 at 2 p.m. ET to take your questions and comments about the baseball postseason."

Posted by: Bob L. Head | October 15, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads up (as it were), Bob L!

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 15, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 15, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"The music at the ballpark doesn't bother me. The $5.50 for bud lights does. Want to improve the ballpark experience and make it more like the old days? Reduce prices and allow picnicking."

Surely you've seen that commercial, running between every inning of the playoff TV broadcasts, where the guys smuggle bottles of Bud or Bud Light or Miller Lite or MGD (See how well advertising works? The only thing I can't remember about this ad is the product they're trying to sell!) into the opera by cramming them into the many pockets of a specially-rigged jacket - only to have them explode when the fat lady hits the high note? They're not frisking us as we head into the stadium (at least they weren't at RFK anyway) so there's nothing to stop you from using the same jacket technique to sneak your own bottles of Bud Light in with you, and avoid the $5.50 charge. Probably would be a good idea to check on who's singing the anthem that day, though, so you'd know whether or not you need to be smart and bring cans instead of bottles like the guy in the row in front in the commercial did. I don't think D.C. Washington can hit a note high enough to break a bottle, but you never know...

Posted by: Section 419 | October 15, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Jackets in the summertime don't work well. but cargo shorts and bottles of liquor do. Only then I have to buy an expensive pepsi or lemonade. It's no more than a mixed drink at a bar, though.

Let's hope we don't get to the frisking days. I have to be honest, I appreciate it at FedEx Field. Football fans just drink tooooo much.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 15, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Years ago, when I was much younger... much much younger... I went to an Orioles game (in fact, I think it was the famous end-of-the-season series with Milwaukee) and we brought gin and tonics in plastic jugs. I could imagine not wanting to encourage that.

Posted by: Wigi | October 15, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm trying to imagine Wigi eating smoked salmon and sipping on a jug full of gin and tonic.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 15, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow. Talk about The Old Days! and all the ways to bootleg beverages into the park. Watermelons were always our favorite, and the corked bat analogy just seemed to fit, somehow.

Posted by: cevans (aprés skittles) | October 15, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I wondered why the old dude in my section this summer wore a searsucker suit jacket with his jeans - now I know.

Posted by: flynnie | October 15, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse