Nothing like it in sports

It is the early afternoon of an October Sunday in New England. The sky is blue, the sailboats are on the Charles, the Back Bay is bustling, and nearly everyone you pass has some version of a Red Sox hat on top of his/her head. In these parts, I suppose that could happen even if the Red Sox had been swept out of the playoffs in the first round. But man, it sure feels like Game 7.

There is nothing in sports better than a Game 7, and there is no better Game 7 than those in baseball. All hands are on deck. You need C.C. Sabathia in the third? You go get him. Josh Beckett needs to get 12 outs? He does.

A brief review of how we got here. Sheinin captured the relationship to '04 in the gamer, and if Kevin Millar is indeed throwing out the first pitch tonight -- as the word was late last night in the press box -- then Fenway will certainly be buzzing. Cowboy Up, you might say. I wrote about the unlikely hero, J.D. Drew, who has been lambasted in Boston for the better part of six months. The sky looks a little bluer to him this morning, no doubt. There's some stuff about the Indians' tired starters (and yes, Sheinin got a Vandy note in (unbelievable)), though we did re-write the notebook at about 12:45 a.m., and the rewritten version doesn't seem to be on-line.

So before we head over to the park, let me ask for your favorite Game 7 memories? The last one at Fenway was in 1986, and it completed a comeback from a three-games-to-one deficit for the Red Sox against the Angels, one that began in Anaheim with Dave Henderson's homer off Donnie Moore and ended with Roger Clemens pitching the Sox into the Series.

You got one or two?

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 21, 2007; 12:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 6, Tag-Team Style
Next: Game 7 Lineups

Comments

Gotta go with 1960 World Series Game 7 and Mazeroski hitting the home run off the Yankees. Still get chills watching that...

Posted by: Pirates | October 21, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd have to go with the Red Sox in 2004 just because of the circumstances. If memory serves me correctly, it wasn't even a nail biter.

I think Derek Lowe pitched in that game? None the less, just the idea of coming back from 3-0 hole to win it all is an amazing feat.

Watching Yankee players and fans mope about. Looking depressed and tired. Just brought glee into my heart. You can argue what happen to the Mets this season is the greatest choke performance ever, but for my money, the 2004 Yankees showed the greatest collapse in modern baseball history.

Is it just me, or does Dane Cook look like some Japanese cartoon freak with his spiked hair? Shouting out "There is only one OC-TOE-BURR!" Ugh. I'm going to miss baseball once the season is over, but I can do without Mr. Cook

Posted by: Viva Livan | October 21, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I've been wearing out the mute button on the tv remote control during the Fox broadcasts... I may have to rig up a radio in the tv room so that I can listen to play-by-play that way.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 21, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I think I'll have a game seven favorite when one of my teams makes it to a game seven.

I think you're right, Barry... there is nothing like it... including game sevens in other sports.

Posted by: Wigi | October 21, 2007 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I was a Mets fan before the Nats came to town, although it became harder over the 15 years I had been here to get quite as passionate from a distance.

Nonetheless, my favorite game 7 has to be the one when the Mets won the World Series in 1986, because the incredible game 6 versus Houston in the NLCS and the absolute miracle of game 6 of the World Series would not have nearly the power of legend they do now had the Mets lost to the Red Sox in the end.

Posted by: Kevin | October 21, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Me, too.

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 21, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Favorite Game 7: 1979 Pittsburgh over Baltimore. After putting paid to the Big Red Machine, the unheralded Bucs got theirs from the much-fawned-over Men Of Earl.

Why it matters: As Barry says, it's all about pitching. Look at how Chuck Tanner handled the Bucs' pitchers in 1979 WS Game 7, and drool over what you might see tonight (provided it isn't a blowout by the third).

Posted by: Hendo | October 21, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 21, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Both Yankees going down -
One old - 1960 Mazeroski homer - seen on a small b/w tv (the only kind in those days!) in the den of my best friend, a Pittsburgh native. Bucs were my second team at the time - LA Dodgers first. The flip side of the Brooklyn keening and grieving - the Dodgers moving to LA when I was 8 really suited me. Saw lots of Bucs-Dodgers and Cards-Dodgers games in that era.

One new - 2001, the blooper off Rivera to send the D-Backs over the heavily favored and seemingly entitled Yankees.

Posted by: Geezer | October 21, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Yanks going down to D-backs was indelibly sweet.

I wasn't around for the 1960 series

Posted by: Kevin | October 21, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

First of all, good for Sheinin for the Vandy note. As a fellow alum, I say "Go 'Dores!!"

Game 7 memory --
Was allowed to skip a full day of high school to see the Cardinals beat the Yankees in Game 7 of the 1964 World Series (day games back then). Went with my sister, mother and uncle (both deceased now). Hung out by the Cardinal clubhouse after the game and hero Bob Gibson came out and sprinkled champagne on the fans. The scene was photographed and featured in the next year's Cardinals yearbook. You can plainly see me and my family in the picture. I still have it.

Even if/when my new team -- the Nats -- win a Game 7 someday, it will be hard to top that.

Posted by: Vandy | October 21, 2007 7:25 PM | Report abuse

No one would criticize Cleveland Manager Eric Wedge for pulling Westbrook for Betancourt, the Indian's version of Papelbon. Who could have foreseen his 7-run implosion? The one who sleeps the best is the Cleveland 3rd base coach who failed to waive in Lofton. The three game comeback and the crushing of the Tribe like a tiny insect shows that huge payrolls will continue to dominate baseball. For every Marlins or Cleveland appearance in the post-season, you have the Yankees or Sawx or their equivalent present in 12 post-seasons. Money-ball has not gotten the A's in the post season for a good long while, and has just become another weapon in the evil empires' armamentarium.

Posted by: flynnie | October 22, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Last season's Game 7 between the Cardinals and the Mets featuring Endy Chavez robbing Rolen of a home run with one of the best postseason catches ever. Yadier Molina hitting the game winner and Adam Wainwright striking out Beltran looking with the bases loaded to end the game and the series.

Posted by: Section 206 | October 22, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse