Oddities from Philly

Here at Citizens Bank Park, we have seen:

* Back-to-back homers on consecutive pitches in the first inning, care of Troy Tulowitzki and Matt Holliday, with aid from Kyle Kendrick.

* Three homers on the first 11 pitches of the game, because Kendrick got through the first on 10 pitches and Jimmy Rollins homered on the first pitch from Colorado's Franklin Morales.

* An MVP-type performance from Rollins, who looked like he was being pitched around in the second inning of a 2-1 game, but hung in and drilled a two-run triple on a 2-2 count with two outs to put the Phillies up 3-2.

* Chase Utley strike out his first time up, giving him five consecutive strikeouts to start the postseason.

* Rockies pitchers retire eight of the next nine hitters after Rollins's triple. The only base runner: Ryan Howard, who was hit by a pitch -- and then got picked off first, because getting a secondary lead is obviously key to his game.

* But the thing I predict I'll be writing about in the $.35 edition (and we've got a lot of baseball to go here) came in the fourth. Kendrick allowed a leadoff double to Garrett Atkins, but then got the next two hitters. He fell behind the eighth-place man, catcher Yorvit Torrealba, 3-1, so Phillies Manager Charlie Manuel ordered an intentional ball four. That caused Colorado Manager Clint Hurdle to pinch hit for starter Morales, and pinch hitter Seth Smith squibbed a spinner to third, an infield hit to load the bases.

So Manuel pulled Kendrick (ERA for the year: 3.87) in favor of Kyle Lohse (ERA for the year: 4.62). And Kaz Matsui promptly hit a 1-2 pitch for a game-changing grand slam. That put the Rockies up 6-3.

It is now 8-3 in the sixth (nice pace of game, huh?) and the sellout crowd is booing the home team unmercifully. A nice sendoff, if this is in fact the last game to be played here this year.

By Barry Svrluga  |  October 4, 2007; 5:10 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cleveland... And Lou Piniella's bold/idiotic move
Next: ALDS Game 1, Yankees at Indians: Lineups

Comments

Home team now has 4.....throw enough trash on the field and those phils are bound to hit something, I guess. [of course, the Rox have 10]

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I hate Phillies fans.

Posted by: NatsNut | October 4, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tacky Pholks.

BTW, Kaz Matsui = 2B, HR, 3B through 6...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Colorado up by 6! Go Jamey and the Rockies. Nothing against the Phillies but heartburn for their pherocious phans? I'm all phor it (picking up on Barry's earlier post).

Posted by: samantha7 | October 4, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE that Torrealba, upon trying to throw out Shane Victorino, ends up throwing to shallow center field. His reaction? A rather hilarious shaking of the head and a rueful grin. Clearly a "Wow, self. WOW." moment. Made me love him a wee bit.

Posted by: Atlanta | October 4, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I officially have no sympathy for Phillies fans. It is inexcusable, in my opinion, to boo your team at the first signs of weakness, especially after the great year they had and the thrilling way they ended up in the post-season.

Posted by: JennX | October 4, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that, JennX. Phoolish Phillies Phans...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Yessss, yesssss, hate the Phillies...

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | October 4, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, I have to admit that I myself have booed the Phillies many a time.....

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 4, 2007 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Colorado 4, Philadelphia 2;
Colorado 10, Philadelphia 5;

Okay, math wizards, anybody see a pattern here?

Posted by: one of Barry's Babes | October 4, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

By the way, could I have picked a better week to come down with a stomach flu and miss a whole bunch of work and have no choice but to sit on the couch and watch baseball all day?

Posted by: JennX | October 4, 2007 6:10 PM | Report abuse

That the Phillies will inevitably choke when faced with the prospect of actual October baseball?

Posted by: Atlanta | October 4, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

. . .karma sucks

Posted by: Ibid | October 4, 2007 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Victory! And silence at PNC Park.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

I hope you feel better, JennX. Say, after the postseason ends? ;)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

So they weren't booing? My audio dropped out in the 9th... :(

---

Victory! And silence at PNC Park.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Was hoping for Matsui to get the cycle but I'll take the win...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 4, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I would imagine it's been quite silent at PNC Park since the Pirates' last home game of the season...

It was also silent at Citizens Bank Park after the Phillies loss today. ;)

---

Victory! And silence at PNC Park.

Posted by: JennX | October 4, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Now would be the time for the Phillies to extend Kyle Loshe's contract... both from a "buy low, sell high" perspective, and from a Washington Nationals perspective.

Posted by: Wigi | October 4, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Free prescription FedEx overnight shipping pills

Posted by: Aciphex pills heartburn pills overnight shipping free prescription | October 16, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse