Boone: "I'm very excited"

Just got off the phone with Aaron Boone, who several people have told me in the last hour is one of the all-time good guys in baseball.

"I'm very excited," he said. "It's literally an up-and-coming franchise, one moving into a new stadium. It's a team that I think is on teh way to the top. I'm looking forward to being a part of it."

He said he hears "a lot of great stuff about Manny Acta," so he's looking forward to working with him.

This seems like a natural fit because Boone's father, Bob, is the Nationals vice president of player development. But Aaron kind of downplayed that as a reason for signing here.

"There's a little more familiarity because he works there," Boone said. "But I would have familiarity there because Jim [Bowden] works there, too. I've known Jim for along time. And I have a lot of familiarity with a lot of people in their organization -- Jim, my dad, Jose Rijo, Lenny Harris. I'm really excited."

Jim Bowden (the GM in Cincinnati when Boone played there) said Boone would essentially fill the Tony Batista role -- a right-handed bat off the bench who can back up at first and third, serve as a late-inning defensive replacement if Dmitri Young is the first baseman. "But most important is the leadership in the clubhouse," Bowden said in an e-mail on his way to the airport.

"I get asked that, it seems like every stop now," Boone said. "I don't try to offer anything specific. I just try to be myself. If that helps, that's great. ... I look at my job as getting myself prepared to be the best player I can be and being the best teammate I can be."

On to the curious aspect of all this: The Nationals signed one guy capable of playing third base (Boone) and selected another in the Rule 5 draft (Matt Whitney). Thus, that leads to what the reliable Jerry Crasnick of ESPN called in a blog post over there "whispers" that Ryan Zimmerman's injury -- surgery to remove the hook of hamate bone -- is worse than expected. I have checked with people who would know about this, and they say he's improving/fine and that there's no long-term concerns. In fact, they continue to say it's a good thing it happened now rather than later.

Here's what Bowden said when I asked him about Zimmerman after the club took Whitney: "Zimmerman is our third baseman until my kids graduate college, including my two twins [9 years old]. Let's not misunderstand what that is all about. Certainly Whitney gives us some protection if Nick's not ready. Certainly he gives us some protection if there's a trade at some point. It's protection."

I'll look into that angle more, but I really haven't heard anything nefarious about the Zimmerman injury.

Will try to get you one more post before I vacate this pop stand.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 6, 2007; 1:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats sign Boone, avoid arbitration with WMP
Next: A week later, what do you think?

Comments

Barry, I need help with my Christmas shopping. Does Manny Acta have any ideas he'd like to share?

Thanks for fast and furious posts. Keep on keepin on.

Posted by: longterm | December 6, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

The question with Zimmerman isn't whether he'll be fine, or whether he'll be able to swing a bat.

It's whether it's going to sap some of his power and ability until he adjusts and is completely healthy as it seems to have done with a number of other players who've had similar surgery. There's an adjustment period.

Posted by: Chris | December 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Barry - thanks for all the great posts during the meetings. What a wild two days!

I (possibly irrationally) refuse to worry about Zim's wrist. He will start the season and be 100%. He will start the season, he will start the season, he will start the season...

Posted by: Avar | December 6, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Just dawned on me that we came out of those meetings w/ 5 new position players! That's almost half the slots! And only gave up one starter to get all that. Not bad.

Posted by: Avar | December 6, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the 1B angle here.

Barry reports that, "[Whitney] can play both corner infield positions."

Barry also reports that, "Boone would essentially fill the Tony Batista role -- a right-handed bat off the bench who can back up at first and third."

Bowden says: "Certainly Whitney gives us some protection if Nick's not ready. Certainly he gives us some protection if there's a trade at some point."

...And I don't recall any major league-ready 1B prospects in the system.

So, maybe this means they expect Johnson to be healthy. That is, Boone and Whitney give them some backup coverage at 1B so that, if Johnson is healthy at spring training, they can make a trade involving either Johnson or Young, since they don't need two $5m first basemen, and it does not appear that Young will be needed in the outfield.

Posted by: First Base? | December 6, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Yea! Is there any way we could donate to Manny's foundation for X-mas Barry?

_____________________________________________

Thanks for fast and furious posts. Keep on keepin on.

Posted by: longterm | December 6, 2007 02:04 PM

Posted by: Ideas | December 6, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

If I understand correctly, Langerhans signed for $500K if he makes the MLM roster, and gets paid $300k if he is sent to the minors. I infer from this that the deal he signed gives the team the right to send him to the minors (at least out of spring training) without losing him.

Posted by: NatBisquit | December 6, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

But wouldn't be easier to monitor/mentor Dukes in Washington?

Posted by: SuicideSqueeze | December 6, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I agree NatBisquit. Notice that Bowden said that the one Rule 5 draftee can compete for the 4th or 5th outfielder spot. They can send Maxwell to AA and Dukes to AAA and start with an OF of Pena/Milledge/Kearns. This gives them outstanding organizational depth in the outfield from which to promote if anyone has a lousy year - or trade.

Posted by: GoNats | December 6, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"I still think it is possible that Dukes is headed to the minors for another year."

I would seriously doubt that the entire Nats management heirarchy from Mark Lerner to Stan Kasten to Jim Bowden to Manny Acta - all of whom have been quoted on the intent to help Dukes overcome his problems in order to take advantage of his extremely bright promise - would be willing to endure all the bad PR and public doubt they have engendered by acquiring him, only to turn around and ship him to the minors for a year for "seasoning" or whatever. What? To have the likes of Logan or Langerhans take the field in Nationals Park instead of him? That will never happen. Dukes will be on the MLB roster all season long, unless he commits another off-the-field transgression, in which case he will be gone. The only way he might possibly play a game in the minors this year would be if he gets hurt and has to undergo a rehab assignment before coming back off the DL.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | December 6, 2007 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Jeez, with all the trades the Nats just did in the past week or so, you'd think this was an actual, honest-to-goodness, real baseball club with its own stadium and everything...

(Something which I won't fully believe until my cheeks are in my seat on Opening Day)

Posted by: Juan-John | December 6, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Aaron Boone. Nick must be done.

Posted by: 6th and D | December 6, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

As I said in a previous post, we're becoming the home for wayward, over-the-hill former Cincinnati Reds players. Don't be surprised if JimBow signs Sean Casey if Nick is still struggling in spring training. Or if JimBow brings in Jason LaRue as the second catcher.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 6, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited about Aaron Boone, if only because one of my earliest memories as a wee baseball fan is yelling "Booooooooooone!" every time his dad came up to bat for the Angels and now I'll get to do it again.

Posted by: JennX | December 6, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I think people (particularly the denizons of the blogosphere) underestimate the Lerners et al. I suspect they are very much prepared to send Dukes to the minors if it makes organizational sense. I'm not predicting that he won't make the team, but I would expect they have already considered the question. You get as much talent as you can get, then you send them out. You have to remember that the 'outcry' against Dukes has been conducted by the .5% of fans who indulge in outcrying. The other 99.5% read the article about the trade and thought to themselves 'hmmm, wonder if he's worth the risk ... Honey, what's for dinner tonight?'

Posted by: NatBisquit | December 6, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

reposting from the end of the last post:

another interesting option:

2:15 p.m., from Enrique Rojas
• Jaime Torres, the agent for Cuban slugger Alexei Ramirez, left Nashville after meeting with five teams interested in the player. Torres said that he expects to meet with two other clubs in the next couple of days. Ramirez, the home run leader in the Cuban national tournament in 2006, can play second base or the outfield. He left Cuba and settled in Dominican Republic two months ago.

===

now *that* looks like someone to pay attention to and potentially spend money on. at least if he's actually any good (which i don't know for sure). make Flop the utility guy, guz SS, and ramirez 2B. flop is good insurance for either of them.

info about ramirez...

Posted by: 231 (other 506) | December 6, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Good grief! What is for dinner? I haven't eated for two days now!

Posted by: lowcountry | December 6, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"eaten" - I'm fading fast . . .

Posted by: lowcountry | December 6, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

"This seems like a natural fit because Boone's father, Bob, is the Nationals vice president of player development."

Whi is nepotism a natural fit?

Posted by: Alley | December 6, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

"Whi is nepotism a natural fit?"

Because if he doesn't hustle his dad can send him to bed without dinner.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | December 6, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

boone will fit in with this team, since he thinks he is afro-american and tried to play bball then hurt his knee. Boone should get his dad to order some soul food for the post game meals.

P.S. The Nats should trade nick johnson, ortiz, lopez, 2 prospects for Johan.

Also they should try to acquire delmon young from 'sota, and have an all-black outfield of LF-Dukes CF-Young RF-Milledge, that would be the best hip hop combo since Run DMC. We could call them Run-DYM

Posted by: ty | December 6, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

go away ty

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

take it easy there, ty.

Posted by: longterm | December 6, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

"The Nats should trade nick johnson, ortiz, lopez, 2 prospects for Johan."

Ramon Ortiz? He's gone. David Ortiz? He can play first base well enough for me.

"Also they should try to acquire delmon young from 'sota"

Isn't Delmon with the Devil Rays?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | December 6, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Delmon Young was sent to the Twins in a package that sent Matt Garza to the Rays.

Posted by: 307 | December 6, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

omfg.

you all see that Atlanta is putting in $300 seats? uh huh. interesting.

also naming rights are put off for a year but it sounds like these guys are raking in the dough issuing Founding Sponsor Level rights to 10 different corporations/institutions whathaveyous. "Nationals Park" in the mean time.

maybe we can order some new uniforms soon.

Posted by: longterm | December 6, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we have a racist troll you guys. ignore it. he/she has been showing up for about a week now.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 6, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should honour's d.c.'s violence, by having a pimp 'n' ho's night, and invite our friends from the district, also maybe gilbert arenas can come and talk to the media how it feels like to be an uncle tom, that guy is weird, what kind of brotha has his own blog, plays halo, and chills with comic book asian peeps?

Posted by: ty | December 6, 2007 4:01 PM | Report abuse

for all those people complaining about dukes and his domestice, just keep him happy, and fill his big belly with fried chicken and watermelon, it worked for dmitri and kept his clean from drugs, so it will work for dukes, also serve some soul food to milledge, his frame is too small. The nats should invest in some decent afro-american cooks to help the boys get some home cooked soul food, also make sure they have plenty of cocoa butter, hip-hop music, and hair braiders at the new ballpark to help our brothas.

Posted by: ty | December 6, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Rule 5 guys are for depth and contingencies. The fact that we took Whitney is more or less a test drive. It could be as much to build depth for a trade of Young as it is an insurance policy in case either Zimmeman or more likely Johnson starts on the DL. Worst case, we give him back. Indians don't need him, so if we want to stash him in AAA, an accomodation / trade can be made.

Posted by: jon | December 6, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ty cobb's ghost? | December 6, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

also bats

---

maybe we can order some new uniforms soon.

Posted by: natsfan1a | December 6, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse