Minor trade: Nats get Clippard

I put this at the end of the Dukes story, but for those who missed it, the Nationals traded reliever Jonathan Albaladejo to the Yankees for minor league starter Tyler Clippard. Clippard immediately becomes a contender for the rotation. I will expound on this one tomorrow morning, because it's more intriguing than it seems.

But for the purposes of y'all, back to Dukes.

By Barry Svrluga  |  December 4, 2007; 1:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats officials on Dukes
Next: Dukes: The Aftermath

Comments

I wanted to know what kind of upgrades the Nationals are now going to make. It seems we have 4 young outfielders, and young cornerstones at third and maybe catcher. Also with Guzman, young, johnson, lopez and belliard returning it appears that our infield is set as well. The ownership has said they are going to up payroll to be competitive and they havent done that yet. I was hoping now with the every day positions seemingly filled that ownership would actually spend some money on frontline pitching. I dont want to go into another season with castoffs and returning injured players as that spells disaster. Are they going to step up and pursue some talented pitchers?

Posted by: nats | December 4, 2007 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Nats:

I'm sure the Nationals will pursue talented pitching, but probably not be free agency since the phrase free agent talented pitching is an oxymoron. There is no pitching talent in this free agent class which means that the Nationals will have to accumulate and move prospects to get pitching. Bill Ladson has suggested that this may involve trading Kearns and Lopez for some pitching prospects.

Posted by: Michael | December 4, 2007 1:59 AM | Report abuse

Somebody needs to rip that phone out of Trader Jim's hands and het him some sedation. OK -- the Milledge deal made some snse, and he may not be the head acse the NY media portrayed him to be. Dukes, on the other hand, clearly is. And Tolman should have warned of the team after last week's incident.

Gibson was a serious prospoect, even if his ERA did climb a bit in his final '07 appearances. He still had the best WHIP at Vermont. He has outstanding control, and a change-up strikeout pitch? That's major league stuff.

Speaking of major league stuff. Right now, Alabadejo surely has that kind of stuff. In fact, the Nats should have been considering him for the closer role. His upside exceeds Cordero's. What is Bowden thinking? Clippard showed great stuff, too -- in 2006. Last year, he stunk. No way is he ready for the Nats' rotation. The Yanks bounced him back down to Double-AA Trenton where he struggled the last two months.

I was extremely comlimentary about Bowden's moves before this day. Getting Dukes, after trading for Milledge doesn't make a lot of sense, and they gave up too good a prospect. Still, I could understand what Bowden's trying to do. He's mining for a gold, and he's desperately trying to strike a deep vein. If not Milledge, then maybe Dukes. Maybe there's a star there -- if not one, then the other. The Alabadejo-Clippard deal is just plain dumb. Nothing you write tomorrow will change my mind. This was a bad deal, on every level.

Posted by: FischFry | December 4, 2007 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Barry - Just noticed your Drive By Truckers reference from "Carl Perkins Cadillac": "Nashville's where you go to see if what is said is so."

Just wanted you to know that somebody was paying attention. :)

Posted by: DBT fan | December 4, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

So, what were the details of that incident, FF? What did Tolman leave out? I wasn't there, so all I have is the reports in the news, with no context. Do tell.
Wait, Barry already did, and Tolman already did. Nevermind.

****
And Tolman should have warned of the team after last week's incident...
Posted by: FischFry | December 4, 2007 02:33 AM

Posted by: c snarky | December 4, 2007 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Seems to me these trades, particularly the Dukes acquisition, are low risk/high reward ventures. If Milledge and Dukes have off-field lapses, I'm assuming the Nats brain trust will simply cut their losses by releasing or dumping the player. The on-field upside potential is simply too great for this franchise not to take the chance that they have the resurrection formula captured in a bottle. I worry a little about the impact on the pitching staff with the trading of Schneider but I don't quite understand the complaints that take Gibson's low A ball performance and make him a sure-fire major leaguer while Clippard's stats make him a has-been not worth picking up. No knock on Alabadejo at all but he's another middle reliever, albeit one who impressed in September. This isn't talk radio where we get to acquire what we want/need while giving up what we don't. I don't like the parking situation at the new ballpark but I remain comfortable with Bowden's Frankie Lane impersonation.

Posted by: Poog | December 4, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

You mean his Blazing Saddles cover?
******

Posted by: Poog | December 4, 2007 01:58 PM

Posted by: Mule train | December 4, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

uhhh, would that be the campfire scene?

-------

You mean his Blazing Saddles cover?

Posted by: ill wind | December 4, 2007 7:37 PM | Report abuse