Behind the Lens

Hey there -- it's Jon DeNunzio here again, with another video highlight for you today -- a sort of mini-documentary on what it's like to take photos at spring training, featuring Post photog Toni Sandys (and her pix). Enjoy.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  February 27, 2008; 11:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Matt Chico, and some "Guess the Rotation"
Next: Your Opening Night Grapefruit League lineup

Comments

Reposting:

+.5St, I have some ideas, send me an e-mail so we can discuss offline.

bob.l.head@live.com

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 27, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Metro has a webpage dedicated to the Nationals, definitely some good info for those taking Metro/bus!

Posted by: G-town | February 27, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Nice to "meet" the photog behind the pics. I especially like the artsy detail photos, but they are all great! Liked the Chico Escuela quote at the end, too. ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 27, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Is tonights game going to have gameday or be on the radio?

Posted by: Paul in 105 | February 27, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I thought the Milledge photo from a couple of days ago was particularly inspiring - it was featured in this video as well, the one with the sun shining through the clouds over his shoulder...

Thanks Jon for posting this video! It was very interesting to watch, as I'm currently working towards becoming a photographer myself...

Posted by: BigNatsFan | February 27, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I just discovered NJ a few weeks ago, and thanks to behind the scenes pieces such as this one has made checking one of the highlights of my day (don't tell the boss!).

While I wouldn't want to give up reading the .35 edition on the Metro every a.m., the details and background provided here add so much to the story and what is going on with the team, and you guys (including Toni's great photo work) do a fantastic job on both the WP and with NJ. Thanks, and keep up the great work!!!

Posted by: Rob | February 27, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I think they should take tons of more pictures of me riding around all high-and-mighty like a lazy king, on my segway.

Posted by: JimBo | February 27, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

That was a very cool little feature. Toni Sandys has the best job ever.

Posted by: JennX | February 27, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Video man Jon Forsythe -- who takes all these great videos and edits them into stories that are then posted by washingtonpost.com sports editor Jon DeNunzio -- has left Viera, but he promised me he has a whole bunch of things left in his bag of tricks that he'll roll out over the next two weeks. Hopefully they're well-received. I think they're a great addition to NJ.

You can continue guessing the rotation here, too, if you like. I'll try to tally the stuff up prior to tonight's game, if I have time.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | February 27, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

... having been a professional photographer for thirty plus years, I have only one question: while I'm thrilled for Toni, why didn't the WP CALL ME FOR THAT ASSIGNMENT??!!??

Go Kory Casto! Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 27, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think Toni's pictures are tremendous, and would like to compliment her on bringing an artistic flair to a subject that has been done from just about every angle in the past.

As a Canon shooter myself, I'd also be curious to learn whether Toni has made the jump to the Canon 1DIII, and whether she has experienced the dreaded focus issues associated with it. All her pictures in the post have been nice and sharp, but when culling down 1000 shots to 3 even a focus-blind Japanese dSLR can get lucky. Also curious what she uses for backend workflow. Lightroom and CS3?

Can we get a report here in the Journal on the tools of the trade behind the Post's Spring Training coverage? In addition to how learning a bit more about how her 800 pictures become a single shot in the paper, how do your brilliant observations on the game get distilled down into the print edition, Barry? That would obviously include the secret of whatever it is you use to get Panera crumbs out of your keyboard.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | February 27, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

FYI -- ESPN will broadcast the Nats-Tigers game on March 18 in high-def.

Posted by: swanni | February 27, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me like detwiler has the eye of the tiger.

Posted by: .390 | February 27, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

The first game on 3WT radio will be Friday's.

---

Is tonights game going to have gameday or be on the radio?

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 27, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

The videos are way cool.

---

Hopefully they're well-received. I think they're a great addition to NJ.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 27, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

This was a superb 3+ minutes of video. Great job, and greatly appreciated.

Toni: if you're having issues getting from one field to another, steal Jimbo's Segway.

Posted by: joemktg | February 27, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Keep doing these short videos. They are fantastic.

Posted by: North Randolph Nats Fan | February 27, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

419+1: I checked and you are correct, 20 game plan holders who bought their seats in the past couple months will not receive tickets to the 3/29 game.

Posted by: PowerBoater | February 27, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Dear Jon DeNunzio,

I would be willing to do Toni's job for half the pay. Seriously. Maybe I could just get paid in Swedish Fish, even. They're delicious. Please connect me to the right person to hand her job over to me. Thanks!

Posted by: No offense, Toni! | February 27, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

What A GREAT piece on Toni, her photos have been tremendous loved the shutter fires over the end credits.

Look forward to more videos from Joe Hey how about a behind the scenes expose on Panera and the art of sandwich artistry.

Posted by: junkbucket | February 27, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful video!

Posted by: Annie Savoy | February 27, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Man, what a sweet gig. Warm weather, baseball, and photography... throw in some swimsuit models and beer and it'd be heaven (in Viera, even better).

Posted by: Kevin | February 27, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Where's Boom-Boom?

I'm expecting another post.

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 27, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Great stuff Joe, thanks. Love the behind the scenes stuff.

Posted by: Avar | February 27, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Barry, has Zimmerman changed gloves for this season? Last year his glove was back and I believe it was a Mizuno. Early on in this video there is a shot of Zimm using a tan Wilson. Did he sign a deal with Wilson or is this part of the effort to put last year's error totals behind him and start fresh?

Posted by: Kevin | February 27, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this is only better than last year. Fantastic. I have no idea what deep fried screech asked, but I'd like to hear the answers from Toni, too. We've seen how the sausage is made for the writing side, let's see pictures too!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

OK, I took the plunge, 4 seats in 228.

If any NJ regulars are interested in taking in some weekday games, I will probably have some extras available at cost (these are $10 seats but near the front of the upper RF terrace section -- great seats for the money based on a tour I took last week.

Send me an e-mail at bob.l.head@live.com if interested.

Now I'll stop harping on the subject.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 27, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Kevin,

... I believe the glove Zim is wearing in the video/pix is an infield training glove. At least that's how someone in an earlier thread described it.

Go Jesus Flores! Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan redxuit | February 27, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey, why don't you take some pictures of me?!

www.SluggerWily.com

Posted by: Wily Mo | February 27, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Barry,
Was the remote switch stuck in Dave mode? GPS tracking shows you late getting off to Jupiter.

You've only got 75 minutes to get that conference call local number posted.

Activate Share 1st Game Auto Sequence.

Posted by: Reporter Remote Controller | February 27, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

bobL, you should come say hi, i'm just a section in front of you (231). well, and down a level, so just wave or throw something at me, i guess. ;)

i'll keep it in mind for later in the season. i've got 12 games lined up so far out of my package, but it's very possible i might want some more.

Posted by: 231 | February 27, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Bob, you might hear from me too.

By weekdays, you mean evenings too right? I can't take off of work, but I definitely... actually, I'll just e-mail you.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | February 27, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Congrats on the tickets Bob L.!

As for the RF Terrace generally, it makes no sense to me why they are using section #s in the 200s for those sections. It is confusing given the layout of the rest of the sections in the park. Also, while those should be good seats indeed, I expect that scalpers are going to have a field day lying to more clueless fans about how high up those sections are. I can hear it now: "right next to the club level"...

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | February 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Bob L., when my April itinerary solidifies, I will shoot you an email.

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 27, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

We need to get Planet NJ shirts, or buttons, or something printed up so that we can recognize each other at the games.

Barry, can we do this? I earlier suggested that perhaps these items could be sold at a reasonable markup with the proceeds going to ImpActa. But I assume we'd need the Post and possibly the Nats, as well as Manny, to sign off.

If you think this can be done and could point to the right people, I'd be happy to make a few calls and see if we could get something organized. But someone other than me would have to design the thing.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 27, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

In the 'Keeping up with old Nats' category - here's the boxscore for the Reds pitching this afternoon (sorry for the lack of formating):

Cincinnati IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Affeldt 2.0 3 1 1 0 1 0 4.50
Brower 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00
Burton 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0.00
Majewski 0.1 6 6 6 0 0 0 162.00

Posted by: Bazz | February 27, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Coverage, the 200 numbers up there are confusing, but the seats are actually lower than the 300s because they're even with the boxes instead of on top of them. I suspect that's why they used the 200s. But 300s would have been more accurate given that they're closer to the 300s than they are to the other 200s.

John, look forward to hearing from you.

506, yes, I should have said weeknights. Send me an e-mail. Same for you 231, whenever you're ready. Best to discuss this stuff there rather than here.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 27, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

That's an awesome idea Bob L. Head! If it gets the support, I'd be happy to help out somehow. (despite being relatively new to NJ)

Posted by: BigNatsFan | February 27, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I guess if anyone asks Gary what his ERA is, he can just say "one six two", which sounds pretty good if one assumes the decimal in its likely place.

Posted by: joebleux | February 27, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

NEW POST!

Posted by: JennX | February 27, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Oh and BTW, if you search back I believe you'll find some entries in the archives where we bandied about ideas for NJ tshirt slogans.

Posted by: JennX | February 27, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse