Final: Marlins 3, Nationals 3

And the first one's in the books -- though it took a bit longer than expected. Florida's Mike Jacobs hit a two-run homer off Nationals right-hander Rob Bell in the bottom of the sixth to put Marlins up 3-2, but Pete Orr came through for the Nationals in the top of the ninth with a chopping infield hit with the bases plugged -- after a Marlins error -- to tie it up.

The unearned run off Mock earlier came because Lastings Milledge allowed a ball to get past him in center, giving a runner a free base.

Matt Chico said he was kinda sorta pleased with his outing.

"I was a little more pleased with the fact that I was down in the zone for the most part, where I wanted to be," Chico said. "But just trying to get that first-pitch strike, there was just a little bit too much adrenaline going, just being the first one trying to do too much."

Tomorrow: Jason Bergmann against Georgetown, a big game for the Hoyas. I've got a two-plus hour drive, then a quick turnaround for Manny Acta's 8 a.m. meeting on Thursday morning. Get some sleep. We'll come back at you in several hours.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 27, 2008; 9:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In the bottom of the sixth ...
Next: Lineup vs. Georgetown

Comments

I'm sold on Lastings going 2-for-3 with 2 stolen bases and scoring 2 runs.....but, he "let a ball get by him"? I mean they're not playing on some high school field with choppy grass....really, he let it get by him?

Solid outing by Chico to start it off.

Posted by: Corey | February 27, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

LASTINGS!!!!! yes. solid start. the baserunning is a pleasant suprise. I think we have our CFer and No. 2 hitter. Baseball Prospectus has him as our overall No. 2 guy under 25 in the whole organization.

The Big Picture: Rankings Combined With Non-Rookies Under 25 (As Of Opening Day 2008)

Ryan Zimmerman, 3B
Lastings Milledge, OF
Chris Marrero, 1B
Ross Detwiler, LHP
Elijah Dukes, OF
Michael Burgess, OF
Josh Smoker, LHP
Justin Maxwell, OF
Matt Chico, LHP
Jack McGeary, LHP

i really like this list

Posted by: BigRoy | February 27, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

In the immortal words of Mr. Jon Gruden "You ever see a mansion, a big beautiful mansion, well we're buildin' it men, brick by brick"

Posted by: BigRoy | February 27, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I've ever been more excited about the first Spring training game. Of course, I may be thinking hard of baseball as I listen to the wind howl here in New Jersey with 6" of snow on the ground, hoping that these thoughts will hurry spring along...

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | February 27, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

what about leading off with milledge, he showed great speed and the ability to make contact. didnt like the GIDP in the first though, why wasnt he bunting. would have been a perfect opportunity to show off his #2 skills. its spring training thats the kind of crap you practice.

this time tomorrow nite i will be in florida!!!!

Posted by: love | February 27, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

Barry rocks!!

Posted by: Anonymous | February 27, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize they had Rob Bell. He absolutely sucks.

Posted by: mike8 | February 27, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the guy from New Jersey

Posted by: Matt in Maine | February 27, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

... I hate to nit-pick, Barry (yeah, sure) but I suspect Nick took a peek instead of a peak, but that's so insignificant in light of this first game of the year for our Nats, I'm just not going to mention it.

Lastings - great
Dukes - scalding
Chico - darn good
Mock - can't wait

... and I can't wait until tomorrow.

Go Dmitri Young! Go Nats!!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 27, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we're all wishing for spring, I'll chime in, too...

***

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | February 27, 2008 10:01 PM

***

I agree with the guy from New Jersey

Posted by: Matt in Maine | February 27, 2008 10:51 PM

Posted by: Sarah in Boston | February 27, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Alex Escobar? For real? I thought the Nats had cut him loose. If he can get his arm back in shape, this guy is aserious talent. Perhaps lacking the power upside that Milledge and Dukes have, but still a much better hitter than anyone they have right now. He was the Mets top prospect before Milledge came on the scene. I hope they are fair to him and give him a serious look. He's never really gotten that with this club -- perhaps they couldn't with his injuries, but he can play. If his arm is ready, I say bring him north to Washington. He's more ready to play in the bigs than WMP, LM or ED. Give him a chance -- showcase him, even. Then, if you feel like the kids are ready, you can deal him for real value.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | February 28, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Nice story on NJ in today's print edition. Did he really sleep in his uni or was it his Nats pjs? Also, if you wear them inside out, does it mean that you'll get a hit?

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Good thing our bench is pretty well set or they might be looking at Spezio.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 28, 2008 8:05 AM | Report abuse

No Radio, no TV. At least we have the Post. Spring Training is like following baseball in the old days. Doesn't MASN think the games would be watched more than some crappy radio show on TV? There is no excuse for a night game to not be on either TV or radio.

Posted by: Smirkman | February 28, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry --- the Nats have given Escobar a chance (chances, actually). It's just every time he gets going and shows what he's capable of doing, he gets hurt. If they didn't want to give him any more chances, they wouldn't have re-signed him this offseason. I, for one, am pulling for him. He has tremendous talent and is one heck of a nice guy!

Posted by: e | February 28, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Fisch Fry-

I think the real point is that if he can stay healthy, Escobar has shown that he _is_ real value. If he somehow is healthy, it would be difficult to keep him off the team.

Posted by: Positively Half St | February 28, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back, MKevin -- and great point about the baseball gods sending Nick a pop fly akin to the one that resulted in his injury in his first game back. I think that's a good omen, actually, now it's out of the way.

Too soon to tell, to be sure, but it sure feels like we might have an exciting young team going into the new park.

The interesting thing will be to see how Jimbo deals with what might be a glut of extra players (if indeed everybody plays reasonably well and nobody gets hurt). The quote from Barry's story in the trees this morning says it well: "I'm not sure you can actually field this team without making a trade," [JB] said. "I'm not sure that's possible, if everything goes well."

What a difference a year makes.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 28, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse