Has Screech bathed?

This is the kind of important investigative journalism we practice here at Nationals Journal. In the Post newsroom, we call it "accountability journalism," because we're holding people accountable for their words and actions as members of the Fifth Estate.

Screech is here. I didn't announce that earlier, and I apologize.

But careful examination by a discerning eye -- mine -- (an eye that might in fact be obsessed with Screech's general hygiene) led me to notice that Screech appeared -- get this -- clean.

Let that wash over you for a bit.

I tapped some of my best sources in the Nationals organization and wanted to get to the bottom of one question: Did Screech, at some point over the winter, bathe?

The answer: No. There is, apparently, a Screech that lives down here year-round. He is, shall we say, cleaner than the one that lives in DC.

Marlins up 3-1 after seven. Must be that whole pitchers-ahead-of-hitters thing.

Also: Here is the MASN schedule, including HD info, for the season. They're split evenly b/w MASN and MASN2 with the Orioles.

And did I say a paltry spring training lineup a couple days ago? They're doing the Nats and Dodgers next Tuedsay, March 4, and the Nats and Orioles March 16 in Fort Lauderdale, and then the March 29 game at Nationals Park.

That would be it.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 29, 2008; 3:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After four ...
Next: Wrapping up a Friday

Comments

Damn Dirty Eagles!!!

Posted by: Nats4Tommy | February 29, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: oh please please baseball gods | February 29, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Will a new Clint emerge as well?

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 29, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, MASN's got so much other programming on during the day, doesn't it?

Oh, wait...

Posted by: WFY | February 29, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

How about a thinner "new" Screech, with videos of him working out during the offseason with a message to counter childhood obesity?

Flippie committed an error at the top of the 9th, but nobody scored, so no real damage.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 29, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

"It is possible, I am told, that an entirely new Screech will emerge at Nationals Park. What does one have, other than his dreams?"

I was gonna say 'Really Goofy Nightmares?', but instead I'll just state that you've raised the bar pretty high today - and on Screech commentary of all things.

Posted by: bazz | February 29, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the schedule info, Barry. I see that it even includes the network games for luddites like me who don't yet have cable.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Barry,

A good topic to cover would be MASN's contractual obligations to the Nats. Last I heard, they are supposed to provide coverage that is at or above league average.

Hard to imagine we've been getting that.

Posted by: Ashburn | February 29, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

There are some fierce-looking eagle mascots here:

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Tin Yurled that bad boy:

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Don't you love it when Barry claims he's not going to post for a while and then adds a new post just a few minutes later? Classic.

Also classic, I thought, was Manny's statement to the effect that deception in the bullpen gets you nowhere.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 29, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

He just can't stay away. :-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

For MASN: Obscenities.

For Bret Boone: Keep hitting doubles, asset.

For Columbus, OH: You may have a decent crop of pitchers on the Clippers this year.

For Charlie and Dave: Hear you tomorrow, men.

For Screech: A new name would go with a new look.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | February 29, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

MASN is a scourge upon the Nationals which is keeping them from reaching its marketing potential. You think only showing two games from Florida out of 30 or so doesn't affect attendance? I do. How do you get excited for a team you can't see. The die hards from the NJ are going to show no matter what. (I am 81 gamer sect 131). But that # is probably in the 3-400's. The casual fan needs to be hit with more exposure. I hope Stan and the Lerner's are listening and will do something about this.

Posted by: Nats4Tommy | February 29, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

This is what gets me, too. The Lerners are *full* members of the community, and should have as strong a voice as any other team owners. That Angelos makes MASN so pathetic is a travesty. He has his guaranteed money, and is free to run his team into the ground. He shouldn't have the right to injure our team, as well.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | February 29, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Ashburn's request for a MASN article. It seems anti-competitive to require the Nats to report to the O's in media matters. Like having Apple report to IBM.

Can this be challenged? Could the Nats reach an agreement with a quality network, and pay off the O's, per some terms in the original agreement?

Obviously Angelos's record is to block the Nats' success in any way possible, and there is no indication that he will change now that he has the Nats reporting to him on media matters.

Posted by: EdDC | February 29, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

With the new ballpark and the potential for renewed interest in the Nats, it makes sense that MASN would want to limit how often fans could see the team in the spring. Now is the time most new fans might purchase tickets.

MASN seems to want to bring about the Nats' failure -- that would be consistent with Baltimoreans view of all Washington sports.

MASN serves the Nationals poorly, but it seems self-defeating for them.

How is MASN serving the Nats?

Is MASN making money?

What happens if MASN goes bankrupt? Do the Nats then free themselves from its shackles?

All these are questions that have been on the table for over 2 years. Post sports and business editors, where are you?

After the new park opens, Msrs. Lerner and Kasten, I'd like to hear your opinion of the MASN "deal."

Posted by: natswriter | February 29, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

That spring training schedule is just unbelievably pathetic. I understand MASN has an extensive college basketball schedule over the winter which extends for another week or two (and that's fine, they do have a lot of quality games from the Big East and CAA, etc.), but is there any reason that for the two weeks after the NCAA tournament field is announced, they are broadcasting a total of ONE game? This MASN deal gets better and better.

Posted by: Fingerman | February 29, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes Barry, an article please. Not trying to be an a$$ but a little less fluff (freakin' Screech?) and a little more Woodward and Bernstein would be appreciated.

Posted by: Nats4Tommy | February 29, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

i was at the game today...

bret boone: is for real. the first pitch he saw, he hit 350ft foul. he was all over it. his second at bat he crushed one to the rcf gap. 2 hardest hit balls for the nats all day. i dont know what "the plan" holds for him, but he can play at the major league level still.

space coast stadium: it is nicer than RFK. beautiful concessions, more food choices and an extremely friendly staff.

giveaways: paltry as barry would put it. a coin today? wapo softieballs for kids tomorrow? come on wheres my shirt/hat/team poster/anything cool.

sunscreen: use it. i look like a racoon wearing a white shirt with red sleeves.

overall viera gets 3 and a half presidents.

Posted by: love | February 29, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe how invisible Guzman is right now. Not even a mention yet? And he was kind of, um, rusty today, don't you think?

That's okay Guzzie. You're just getting warmed up. I'm rooting for ya.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 29, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That RFK screech is quite dirty. I always thought that he supplemented his income by working with the cleaning crew after games.

Posted by: 6th and D | February 29, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm rooting for ya, too.

Also, new post up.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Lovin' the rating system, love.

---

boverall viera gets 3 and a half presidents.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

oops, sorry about the "b" that I stuck onto your quote.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Although, I suppose that "boverall" could be a fashion statement for livestock.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 29, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse