More Video Goodness: Matt Chico

Another nice feature from our man Jon Forsythe ...

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  February 28, 2008; 10:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Georgetown is here
Next: One in the books

Comments

Gosh. How great was it to see the box score in the paper this morning? It's finally starting to feel real.

Somebody asked about the type of bats that will be used today. Usually in these games the pros use wood and the college guys use aluminum, although the Nats might ask/require the Hoyas to use wood. The pros definitely will not use aluminum. They might kill somebody. Frankly I think everyone should be using wood or composite, even the little leaguers. It's much safer and makes for a better game and better hitting mechanics.

What do think Catcher50?

Posted by: #4 | February 28, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Referencing this passage from the Post parking story this morning:

Gregory McCarthy, a Nationals executive working on parking, said yesterday that all season ticket holders who wanted parking spaces have gotten them or are in the process of getting them. The team is trying to determine how many spaces might be available to fans without season tickets.

Has anyone recieved parking assignments yet? I have not and neither has any of my friends who are STH.

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Box score??? Guess I'd better go reread my sports section...

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

natsfan1a:

Page E8

Posted by: #4 | February 28, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, #4.

Love the videos!

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

No kidding, some sophomore 19-year old pitcher for Georgetown sees Willy Mo or Elijah dig in with an aluminum bat and he is begging for an L-screen to throw behind. I know that I would be.

Posted by: Corey | February 28, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Bergmann 1-2-3 top of 1st. 2K's.

Posted by: MKevin | February 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

OFF Topic

Barry

I just received an email from the Nats about tickets going on sale March 4, but it said the following: "Opening Night tickets will not be available in Tuesday's public onsale."

Any word on this? Are they completely sold out or close to being sold out? Are is this a way to try and get more 20, 40, full season ticket holders. There probably isn't many tickets left with those that were allowed to buy and for all the comps that they will need to give out. Thanks!

Posted by: BRothbart | February 28, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Barry:

I appreciate the frequent postings during the game last. You are clearly busting your tail. I would request though somewhere a quick recap of the notable (either good or bad) performances. For instance, Chris Schroder struck out the side last night. I'd love to hear your or others' reaction to how nasty he looked. Was it weak hitters? tough hitting conditions? or filthy stuff? How were Whitesell's ABs?

I'd like particularly attention paid to the "bubble" roster guys.

Posted by: #4 | February 28, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

This from the Post:

"I sure as hell took a peek" at the oncoming fielders, Johnson said. "A looooong peek."

This from the Times:

You gotta go after it, but I sure took a peek [at Dukes]. A long peek."

My question: Which reporter/paper got it right? Did he "sure as hell take a peek" or was it just a "peek"? And was it "long" or "looooong"?

Personally, I finf that the Post gets it correct more often, but the Times is often to the right.

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 28, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Agreed!!!

There is no real excuse for metal/composite bats. There have been times when I have done relatively high end H.S. games when the batter was a dead pull hitter, who had some real talent (one in particular will probably be in AA this year) and I knew that the 3rd baseman or pitcher would have no chance at avoiding a serious injury. In fact, NFHSA changed the rules, last year to allow fielders to wear helmets and face guards. It's my opinion (and I don't have the studies to prove it) that BESR is a sop to make parents and administrators feel comfortable.

Posted by: Catcher50` | February 28, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Bisquit,

Maybe those where two different quotes Nick made to two different reporters?
Also, what was the name of that hurricane that was hitting Viera during Chico's interview?

Posted by: Section 138 | February 28, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

OFF TOPIC, as well

I was just about to ask the same question as BRothbart. Any idea what that e-mail's "Opening Night tickets will not be available in Tuesday's public onsale" means? I just called the Nats ticket office and the woman said Opening Night tickets would be available on March 4, so I'm totally confused.

Are we non-season ticket holders going to miss out even on the opportunity to purchase tickets on Opening Night?

Posted by: GWU-Nats Fan | February 28, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm a total dork, but I was absurdly happy to read the box score in today's Post after #4's pointer. I got to read about baseball at breakfast and at lunch. How cool is that? I also love it when the standings appear in the paper at the regular season's start, when everybody is in first (or last if you're a GHE type) place. It won't be long now...

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

New post. Hoyas are hoeing a hard row.

Posted by: Hendo | February 28, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Nats have sent out another email saying that tickets for opening day will be available March 4.

"Correction: Opening Night tickets will be available for sale on March 4th"

Posted by: BRothbart | February 28, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse