One more thing: Radio

So I'm over in Northwest (foreign territory to me) at my barber and I ducked into the local Starbucks on Wisconsin Ave. (the one right near the Giant and Cafe Deluxe and around the corner from Two Amys, etc.), and I ran into Byron Kerr. Byron, if you recall, did Nats radio work last year and filled in on MASN when Debbi Taylor was out after the birth of her daughter.

I chatted with Byron for a bit (we'll get to that). As I was banging out the earlier post, who walked in but Marc "Nigel" Sterne, formerly of SportsTalk 980 and the erstwhile Washington Post Radio, now of something called "3WT", 1500 AM and 107.7 FM that broadcasts not only the Tony Kornheiser Show but is the flagship station for Nats broadcasts.

What we learned: The Nats are planning on doing pre- and postgame radio shows for all home games, and they'll be at the Gaylord National Resort and Conference Center, which is on the Potomac. Byron said they'll have fan giveaways, tickets, etc. during the pregames. The postgame shows will be call-ins, and either Byron or Sterne will be in the booth for those. They should be of better quality than in the past, too, because they'll be able to get player interviews, etc.

Sterne added something else. On Friday, March 28, Nigel and a bunch of people are going to go to RFK Stadium and get a baseball. Nigel will then walk to Nationals Park, carrying the ball. Nigel's going to sleep there overnight with the ball, and then prior to the exhibition game against the Orioles on March 29 -- the first real event at the Park -- he'll walk the baseball out to Mayor Fenty on the mound, who'll throw out the first pitch.

So there's that.

OK, back to Sheinin -- and actual baseball.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 15, 2008; 10:46 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pitchers, catchers -- and Sheinin
Next: Dateline: Viera

Comments

Hopefully Barry or someone else can answer this.

Will the pre and postgame shows be available by streaming from the 3WT website? Current restrictions prevent them from streaming the game, as it conflicts with the subscription-only MLB Gameday Audio.

However, Gameday Audio does not broadcast the pre and postgame shows. Will Nats fans not in the DC area be able to pick these up by streaming?

I promise, I'll stop saying streaming now.

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 15, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Somebody remind me what the arrangement is on the nights when the Nats and Caps play at the same time -- who gets priority on 3WT? I know it's only for the last few days of the Caps' regular season, but if by some miracle they get into the playoffs...?

Posted by: Juan-John | February 15, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Last post with a countdown, after 4 months.

Welcome Dave.

It cracked me up that Barry asked us to be nice to each other.

Posted by: Positively Half St. (1 more hour) | February 15, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

+.5st,
why would it crack you up? im not sure when you started reading bc i forget your previous name, but the past few weeks have been the most negative since i started reading in may of last year. the oneupmanship that is going on is rather childish, in my opinion.

and the only positive was the return of natscan. at least it is a little less personal than some stretches over the summer, but still too negative.

Posted by: theraph | February 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

... does anyone know if the pre- and post-game shows are carried by MLB's GameDay Audio, or does that broadcast begin with the natural anthem and end with the final out?

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

In case you missed this in the previous posts:

another place to get other Nats Spring Training stories:

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"So the real person you should be directing your questions to (indeed the only person who can answer them) is the head of your season ticket group, the one who writes the check to pay the team for the tickets. Have you done that yet?"

She posted a message on the Nats board yesterday asking the same basic question. The team is not communicating well with their plan holders, so I'm asking the media for help. I was a plan holder in 2005 and had to rely on the message boards for info, it would be nice if the Lerner group tried to improve upon the job done by MLB.

Posted by: PB | February 15, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

So Sheinin performed well when he was called up for a cup of coffee with NJ last fall, and now we're going to see if he can fill the shoes of a veteran, at least for ten days. He's a highly regarded prospect, no doubt, let's hope he can do it on the field at the next level.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | February 15, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

... sorry for not reading the previous posts before submitting my own query; John in Mpls asked it and offered a partial answer. All in all, I'll get the game on GameDay if nothing else.

... and oh yeah. A big "hello, eh?" to Dave Sheinen from Canuckland.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 15, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

There are no Nats/Caps conflicts for regular season games for both teams (on the two dates when both play, the Nats have a day game). The Nats exhibtion game on 3/29 will be on 1050AM because it conflicts with the Caps game. Don't know what happens if the Caps make the playoffs.

Posted by: Cosmo | February 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

for a change, i'll agree with PB (altho i've been harping on the communications thing for a while). i still haven't received anything about opening day tix next week, although it sounds like some STHs heard yesterday.

Posted by: 231 | February 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Probably more suited to another blog, but the Caps are two points out of the division lead and three points out of a playoff spot.

With Brind'Amour going down for the year (on Valentine's Day, no less) and the Canes trading away some proven talent, Washington's playoff hopes can no longer be classified as miraculous.

-----

but if by some miracle they get into the playoffs...?

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 15, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

As I recall from last year, GameDay Audio does stream the pre- and post-game shows. I could be wrong, but we'll find out soon enough.

Posted by: Cosmo | February 15, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

cosmo, you are right. they did do the pre and post games last year. hopefully it continues.

Posted by: theraph | February 15, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I spoke to an account rep for the Nats who confirmed that STH tickets should be shipped around the second week of March. He also confirmed what others have reported here -- that opening day tickets opportunity is for 2 tickets per STH account, not 2 tickets per seat. (Which works well for me)

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 15, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: natscan reduxit
_____________________

Generally GDA has the whole pre-game show, but the post-game almost always gets cut off and the stream on WaPoRadio never (that I heard) went back to live until after the end of said post-game/nats talk live (but I'm local so I didn't hop over from one stream to the other but a couple of times when I was out of town).

If you are a subscripber to GDA (a really great deal IMvHO -- I'll still be able to get my workers special fix in even if I can't skip out to actually go to a ballpark) you can listen to all of last years games and get a pretty good idea of where the cutoff after the games came.

Posted by: OldGuy | February 15, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

natsbisquit, is that for the weds/thurs opportunities only? or does that include the "free-for-all" on friday mentioned earlier as well?

= earlier comment =

20-gamers should buy their 2-ticket alottment right at 9:00 Wednesday, through the link in their email--it's a one-time deal. 40-gamers do it on Thursday, I believe he said. But come Friday, it's a free-for-all for all STHs--you can buy as
many as you like.

===================

Posted by: 231 | February 15, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, did not ask that question as I was set with the info I got. I did get clarification that I can buy 2 tickets from best available seating. Hence the need to purchase sooner rather than later. Although I did not ask, I had the impression that the 2 ticket maximum would hold for all STH. The final free for all will probably not come until the general public is allowed in. (Which I would argue would be the most fare)

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

"She posted a message on the Nats board yesterday asking the same basic question."

You might want to ask her why she's not calling her (and your, by extension) account representative directly, or e-mailing via the special secret season ticket holder e-mail account to ask her questions. They do respond to STH questions via those channels, as others have reported here. And if she's not aware of who the account rep is or what the STH e-mail address is, you might want to ask her why not. She (as a season ticket holder) may or may not have a communication problem with the team, but you as a member of her group sure seem to have a communication problem with her. If she can't answer your questions directly, it should be her job to find out the answers for you, and she should be using all the tools at her disposal to do so. Doesn't sound like she is.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | February 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Fair

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 15, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Oldguy, that's how I remember it, with the postgame getting cut off.

I also had problems with the audio link going live in time to catch all of the pregame at times. This was usually more of an issue for day games for me.

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 15, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Did only 20-game STH receive this email from the Nats abour Opening Day? I'm a full STH and haven't seen a thing yet.

Posted by: Gibby | February 15, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

231: Just the Wednesday/Thursday the way I understood it. The account rep said the Friday free-for-all was buy as many as you can get.

The 2-tix maximum is a one-time only deal, THROUGH THE LINK ON YOUR EMAIL ONLY. I guess this is their way of 'guaranteeing' you get at least one seat for yourself and a buddy before the free-for-all.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

oldguy, i remember listening to the post game and it was still available for roughly a half hour after game time? does the actual live broadcast last longer than that? if so, then it probably doesnt catch the entire post.

same goes for the pre game show? do you recall when it would start up before a game? what about you john?

Posted by: theraph | February 15, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You all should double check about the free-for-all on Friday I'm talking about. That part wasn't on any email, just what an account rep told me.

Don't full and half-season ticket holders already get Opening Day tix? If so, this is the team's way of ensuring 20-gamers get at least a seat for themselves and a buddy. After that, all STHs get a chance at extra opening day tix.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Both my parents (Brooklyn Dodger/Mets fans) and my in-laws (Phillies fans) are in Cocoa Beach. I've instructed them to swing by Ron Jon's and pick up some kakhi's for Dave.

Posted by: Section 311 | February 15, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

NatsNut, that would make the most sense. Hopefully you're right!

Posted by: Gibby | February 15, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

P&C's have reported! I survived the off-season, just enough propane and cocoa. As the sign my wife bought for me says

"We interupt this family for baseball season"

HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH, HALLELUJAH

Posted by: Section 311 | February 15, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

"Also, it appears that partial STH get the opportunity to purchase Opening Day tickets before the full and half STH. Is that because they don't have that game as part of their plan already? This is ridiculous if true..."

What's ridiculous about it? Full season and half season plan owners already have opening day tickets for each seat they've bought and paid for. If it's a block of seats held by a family or a group of friends, then every one of them already has a ticket to the game. Why shouldn't the team offer the only actual season ticket holders who don't have Opening Day tickets a chance to buy one or two ahead of other people who haven't made the commitment to the team to become season ticket holders? You may say that this isn't fair to members of groups who split up a season ticket, but remember what I said earlier? Those people are unknown to the Nats. Why should the Nats give unknowns a benefit ahead of season ticket holders?

My suggestion for any group leader who finds he/she can't get enough OD tickets to go around for the whole group: Heed the wisdom of Solomon. Threaten to rip the ticket in half or thirds or whatever, which will render it useless. The true owner of the ticket will soon be revealed.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | February 15, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

419, I think the concern was that 20-gamers could buy as many as they liked before everyone else.

But, you know, it's just two tickets before everyone else, so fullsies and halvsies, don't get mad at us 20-gamers.
;)

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

i like the way they're doing it. it makes sense to give the 20game folks access to tickets, but not unlimited. so 2 per acct means they aren't shut out, but doesn't block other STHs from getting additional opening day tix. so even tho we have two tix with our package, i'll still be able to get at least a couple more and all four of us will have the opportunity to attend. and maybe i'll be able to snag at least one extra so i can bring my dad.

Posted by: 231 | February 15, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

theraph-

I've been on a long time, probably since the beginning.

I thought the back and forth was so silly, and because maybe with actual baseball we can change the tone. It lightens my heart to know spring training started.

It cracked me up only because Barry kept himself out of the bickering these last weeks, but threw out that line like a parent telling his kids to behave. There was nothing spiteful in my laughter- just a thought that it started to sound like a bunch of kids at the end of a really long car ride who can finally let it rest because we have arrived at the destination.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | February 15, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

agreed and point taken.

Posted by: theraph | February 15, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

"Washington's playoff hopes can no longer be classified as miraculous.

-----

but if by some miracle they get into the playoffs...?"

... up here above the snow line, the general consensus among mid-level fans is that Sid the Kid Crosby is the crown jewel of the league. Pish tosh, say I!

... can you spell Ovetchkyn?

... and now: Play Ball!!!

Go Nats!

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

419,

The ridiculous part I was hinting as was the appearance that 20 gamers would have the chance to buy OD tix but that full/half STH would not since they already have them. I agree that all STH should have the opportunity to get extra OD tix before the general public. And I too agree that it should only be the account holder and not every member of a group.

If it's as NatsNut suggested, 2 tix for 20 game account holders then open access to all STH then open to the public, I will be ok with that. Seems reasonable and fair all the way around, though I could argue that if the 20 games think they should have priority to get OD tix since they aren't part of their package they should have gotten a full/half package...

...and I did like the Solomon reference. Nice touch

Posted by: Gibby | February 15, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Agree that any end of off-season sniping can be racked up baseball withdrawal which is now offically over as P&C reported!!

This is always my favorite day of the year. Sunday is great too because you can get on the internet Sunday afternoon and see pictures of players in uniform working out. That is a glorious day!

Baseball is here, baseball is here!

Posted by: Avar | February 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Alright Dave, it's been 30 minutes. Roll Call should be over by now. Barry would have given us a Flores or LoDuca account by now. If he agreed to meet Hill's sinker at one of the outer fields he might not yet have shared that. At a minimum I expect a Panera report. The season is 30 minutes old and we're already deprived information. CIL. PS Have the khaki's arrived yet? Did I mention HALLELUJAH?

Posted by: Section 311 | February 15, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

ps - I love that Barry says he's done for 10 days and then posts one more time w/ great tidbits that we couldn't get anywhere else!!

Sheinen - We're glad to have you but the bar is high!

Posted by: Avar | February 15, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"...and I did like the Solomon reference. Nice touch"

Just to be clear, the Solomon I was referring to wasn't George. Rather, it was David Solomon - a producer, director and writer best known for directing Buffy the Vampire Slayer during 2002 and 2003. He also directed three television episodes of Las Vegas in 2004 and 2005. Had the Expos ended up in Vegas rather than DC, he'd be a season ticket holder himself now.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | February 15, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't recally GameDay Audio ever cutting off the begining of the pre-game show unless is was a special hour long version (it was normally a 30 minute show) as they tended to open the line up at somewhere between the 35-45 minute mark before the game. But, again, since I tended to be at the weekday non-holiday day games (I'm gonna miss those) and I'm local I only sampled about 15 to 20 full end-to-end GDA feeds.

They did (as i recall) also include the full post-game show, but the cutoff would happen 10 to 20 minutes into Nats Talk Live (and the station stream stayed on TK reruns until the end of NTL).

Posted by: OldGuy | February 15, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"but the cutoff would happen 10 to 20 minutes into Nats Talk Live"

You gotta count your blessings there, man. But at least you did get the first 10 to 20 minutes of Gary from Gainesville's nightly call...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

That is great news about Sterno and 3WT (WWWT). I've been looking for his baseball show on WTEM for ages. I didn't know he swapped stations. I just thought as typical with WTEM, they cancelled a Baseball show.

Posted by: 6th and D | February 15, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Gibby,

"though I could argue that if the 20 games think they should have priority to get OD tix since they aren't part of their package they should have gotten a full/half package..."

Not all of us 20 gamers can afford 1/2 or full season plans. I wish it were that easy of a decision. I stretched my budget as it is for better seats for the first season in the new park. The sad thing is, I have 4 tickets on my plan for 5 people (2 kids, wife and my father) now it appears 2 people won't be able to go (my wife usually sits it out).

This is complete crap if true. I should be able to buy the same amount of seats as I have on my plan. Now I have to hope that I can get 2-3 extra seats when they go on sale to the general public, which will most likely be a complete crapshoot.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | February 15, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

First things First, Shiner - Welcome to Nats Journal.

As for Marc Sterne's radio show, Phil Wood now has a 2 hour show on WTEM on Saturday mornings. Pretty sure it runs from 10Am to Noon.

As for show quality, Phil Wood is a more knowledgeable baseball guy. But Sterne did a fun show. AS for Sterne's move to WWWT, he's producing the Tony Kornhieiser show, which is probably a better career move than staying with WTEM.

Posted by: Section 114, Row E | February 15, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

505, for similar reasons, my seating arrangement won't work with just 2 tickets either.

Get your 2 alotted tickets, then maybe try for 4 tickets on the STH free-for-all. If it works, you can all sit together and sell off your 2 alotted tickets on Stub-Hub. If it doesn't work out, you still have your two tickets.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Actually 980 does have a baseball show in the same time slot as Sterne used to do it (10am on Saturdays -- actually it's now 2 hours instead of 1 unless they have to go to a pre-game show for something) with Phil Wood. They still don't advertise it (or even admit to it) on the web site or on other shows on the station and about 3/4 of the calls are about the Balmer team.

Sterne will (as with last year) do many fewer of the shows that Byron (even if I think Sterno and the Stinger are a great combo).

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I didn't follow the exchange but I was guessing King Solomon. :)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 15, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

That was classic Svrluga. :)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, let's fix that (and sign too):

*I suspect that* Sterne will (as with last year) do many fewer of the shows that Byron

Posted by: OldGuy | February 15, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

BTW, World Wide Pants, I mean Sheinin, does have a post up...

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 15, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey wait a minute, I've tuned in that Phil Wood show. I call it the ABN baseball hour. Anything But Nats. Too bad.

Posted by: 6th and D | February 15, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Korny's demand for another promo for his radio show was answered.

Posted by: swanni | February 15, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I am a 20-game STH. I have 4 seats on my account. I have not purchased 40 or 81 game tickets simply because I can not afford them.

I have no problem with the Nats not guaranteeing OD tix to us 20-gamers. However, I am completely FRUSTRATED that even though I've been a 20-game STH since the very first moment tix were on sale in 2005, and have purchased 4 seats each season, I can only purchase 2 OD tix next week. This, in addition to the Nats holding certain Infield Gallery sections only for new full-season purchases (going from directly behind home plate to beyond the third base bag) when the initial information for the relocation did not mention anything about these sections not available for 20-gamers, is really making me mad. This is NO WAY to treat loyal customers.

Sure, I can conceiveably purchase my two tickets on Wednesday, then hope I can get two more during the free-for-all. If that happens, then I have to decide whether to sit with wife or my daughter as we all won't be able to sit together on OD.

If I can't get 2 more during the free-for-all, I could go to Stub Hub and pick some up there. Oh wait, I forgot. I CAN'T AFFORD to pay scalper's prices!

Dear Stan, Mark, Ted, et al ... if this is indeed true, then screw you. I've been pretty good about giving you all the beneift of the doubt since you've taken over. I've stood by you on basically every decision you've made. I've fooled myself into buying in to your parking issues, saying to everyone I know "It'll be okay. So we take Metro for a year. But wait until next year. With all the new office buildings, there will be plenty of parking!" But I don't see how I can back you now.

For you 40/81 STH's. Enjoy OD. I'm happy that you can afford your seats. And if you have multiple seats in your account, I hope everyone in your group enjoys the game. For us 20-gamers that have 3 or more in our group ... once again we get screwed.

Posted by: e | February 15, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

e,

I am feeling your pain as I stated earlier in this post. I have been a 20 gamer since the beginning also. I confirmed this 2 ticket crapolla with some flunky in the ticket office today.

I don't understand why 20 gamers can't get at least the same number of tickets they have in their plan. This was the case in 2005 and those tickets were in high demand.
I know there are like 4,000 seats less in this park but, that should not be an issue.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | February 15, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

We're moving to D.C. soon and likely will get RCN cable service.

RCN carries MASN, but not MASN2 apparently. How many games will I be missing? Anyone know? Of course, there's always Charlie and Dave--and an occasional subway ride to the stadium for a real live game. Not too shabby.

No matter, as a former subscriber with ComCast, that cable co. is not an option in our household.

Posted by: JohnR(VA) | February 15, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Think of how my group feels: we have a set of FOURTEEN SEATS in our 20-game package. We've done it this way since 2005 - and not gotten a smaller number of seats to 40 or 80 games - because we're all friends and wanted to go to games together. Because of this, we've been relegated to Sec 519 (RFK) and now 416 (Nats Park). And NOW, to add to the indignity, we're only guaranteed TWO seats to OD, and 12 of us will have to fend for ourselves.

I seem to recall, that for OD 2005, we could buy at least one OD seat "for every ticket in our package - no guarantee of location." And that is exactly what we got - 14 seats, but a bit higher up in the stadium. I was MORE than fine with that. If there are only ~15,000 season ticket holders, and there are 40,000 seats in this joint, one would think there'd be enough seats to guarantee that EVERYONE who holds a season ticket - full, partial, or otherwise - could have a seat SOMEWHERE in the stadium. This sux.

Posted by: 20-gamer since '05 | February 16, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

johnr(va) said "RCN carries MASN, but not MASN2 apparently."

i had rcn all last season and they would run the MASN2 feeds in different slots, usually either on cable 6 or cable 8. so they do carry it, just not always in the same place.

Posted by: natty bumppo | February 17, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse