Pitchers, catchers -- and Sheinin

The day has arrived. Pitchers and catchers have to be in Viera today.

Keep a few things in mind here. "Report" means just that. Really, a guy reporting means, in some cases, he'll call the clubby or the director of team travel or some such person and say, "I'm in town, but I'm not swinging by the park till tomorrow." Saturday the Nats will take their physicals, and Sunday is the first workout.

As I said earlier, Sheinin is our man in Viera for the next 10 days or so. He spoke with John Patterson, who obviously is focused and fired-up, as we've discussed before. We also learned last night that Felipe Lopez lost his arbitration case. Poor guy'll have to settle for $4.9 million, rather than $5.2 million.

With this post, I'm turning over the keys to the Journal to Sheinin for the next 10 days. I return on Feb. 25, live from Viera. Be nice to Dave while I'm gone. And please be nice to each other.

By Barry Svrluga  |  February 15, 2008; 10:19 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lopez, pitchers and catchers -- and 2 p.m. chat
Next: One more thing: Radio

Comments

Headed down a lil early to partake in the Cocoa Beach festivities, huh? Enjoy Barry - well deserved.

Posted by: Corey | February 15, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Sob.

(no offense Dave)

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

... this day is second in importance only to the second coming .... no, not that one! I mean the day the rest of the team arrives.

Posted by: natscan reduxit | February 15, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I just got a little clarification from an account rep. 20-gamers should buy their 2-ticket alottment right at 9:00 Wednesday, through the link in their email--it's a one-time deal. 40-gamers do it on Thursday, I believe he said. But come Friday, it's a free-for-all for all STHs--you can buy as many as you like.

He also said the 2-ticket max is PER ACCOUNT, not per ticket.

This probably should be verified, but it's the story I got and I repeated it back to make sure I got it right.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 15, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I posted the below late in the comments to the last entry so it may have been missed--Barry, I hope Sheinin and then you will do the videos like you had last Spring, they were great:

Last ST, one aspect of the Nats coverage that I really thought was super was the videographer that Barry had with him for the first part of Spring, and the resulting video blog posts that were included in the NJ. They really got me fired up for the season, and I loved the interviews with the players. I hope they are going to do that again this year.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | February 15, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Well I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED with yourselves.

You've driven off the only beat writer we had in here with your constant whining. Honestly.

Sometimes I think y'all just come in here to argue about how many sports writers can publish on the head a pixel.

Posted by: Mary's bomb ... Murray's bum ... Barry's Mom | February 15, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Pitchers and Catchers and Sheinin -- Oh My!

Posted by: scarecrow | February 15, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

"Really, a guy reporting means, in some cases, he'll call the clubby or the director of team travel or some such person and say, 'I'm in town, but I'm not swinging by the park till tomorrow.'"

So they're in Florida, they have pro facilities at their disposal, it's February, and they DON'T GO???

Man, I'm in the wrong line of work.

Posted by: I know EYE would | February 15, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Don't listen to them, Dave. Welcome aboard!

Posted by: The man behind the curtain | February 15, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Life is good. Baseball has started.

Note to the rookies: When Sheinin asks you questions, remember to keep it simple. "I'm really excited to be here"; "I worked harder this winter than ever before"; and "I'm just going to keep quiet and learn from the veterans".

Posted by: NatBisquit | February 15, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Are Become
The Days of Our Nats
And Of Their Players
And They Shall Reign Forever and Ever

King of Kings
And Lord of Lords

And They Shall Play Baseball in October!

HALLELUJAH

Posted by: Section 311 | February 15, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Not One to repost, but I needed to clean up the typo and since this is the pitchers and catchers report post the above more appropriate belongs here.

HALLELUJAH

Posted by: Section 311 | February 15, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

MY NAME IS DAVE SHEININ AND I AM WEARING NO PANTS!

Posted by: Rocktober | February 15, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

new post up.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sorry about the new post, 311! You should still carry it over again.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 15, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I know Barry is always good for a literary allusion or two, but if "our man in Viera" is any reference to the Graham Greene novel Our Man in Havana, well, let's just say I'll be impressed.

Posted by: John in Mpls | February 15, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Excellent! (Was that you, Barry? No? We'll miss you but will try to follow your advice).

---

MY NAME IS DAVE SHEININ AND I AM WEARING NO PANTS!

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 15, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Okay. We'll be nice. But only since you asked.

Posted by: DC Diehard | February 15, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

We also learned last night that Felipe Lopez lost his arbitration case. Poor guy'll have to settle for $4.9 million, rather than $5.2 million...
Must be tough to muddle through on a raise of only 1 MILLION.
Of course, this raise is more than most of us will see in our entire working careers.
I really should have paid more attention in Gym Class...

Posted by: TimDz | February 15, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse