Spotlight: Jason Bergmann

Nationals pitcher Jason Bergmann discusses his busy offseason and looks forward to the opening of Nationals Park.

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  February 28, 2008; 2:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: End of two
Next: Nationals 15, Georgetown 0 (No mercy rule enforced)

Comments

i have a feeling jason would be fun to kick back at a bar, drink a few beers, and watch baseball with.

Posted by: 231 | February 28, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

No shout-out to NJ?

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | February 28, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, Jason!

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Jason --

Congrats on the baby (and the wedding, and the house)!

I love that most of these guys have no idea about Jim Zorn! Let's keep it that way.

Posted by: e | February 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

e and 231 stole both my thoughts.

I'm ecstatic none of these guys know/care who Zorn is (I think Bergs was the first to say something to the effect of, "should I know?") and these guys are coming of as really cool, down to earth dudes.

I'd grab a beer with Chico and Bergs any day.

Posted by: Section 138 | February 28, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Also, they are rooting for Teddy!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet Teddy only wins when the Nats win the division.

Awesome video - all these player interviews have been fantastic. You simply don't get this anywhere else.

Posted by: BigNatsFan | February 28, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Out of curiosity, what is the "Ryan Zimmerman staircase?" Since it was in the same sentence as the Ryan Howard seats, is it somewhere Zimmerman hit a HR to?

Posted by: Takoma Park | February 28, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

On the topic of things we'll miss about RFK...

I vaguely remember hearing something about bouncing seats in the third base bleacher section of the new stadium, as a little tribute to the ones in RFK. Does anyone know if that's actually how they were built?

Posted by: dntp | February 28, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Uh, that would be the Frank (Hondo) Howard seats, painted white for his home runs there (I was priviliged to see two of them). Don't know about Zimm.

Posted by: A Hardwick | February 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Takoma,
Yea, he hit the stairs way up in the 500 section. They painted the stair red.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Takoma Park - It's the Frank Howard seats - back in the 1960s Frank Howard hit home runs to the upper deck of RFK, and the seats that he hit are painted white. Ryan Zimmerman hit one to the upper deck, left field, and hit a step, and it is painted red.

Posted by: Traveler | February 28, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I just googled it. I think it was section 533.

Posted by: NatsNut | February 28, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

hehe... i remember the day after the season opener in 05 when all the nats players were talking about how awesome it was looking down the 3rd base line and seeing those stands bouncing...

Posted by: 231 | February 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

You can see the pictures of the Ryan Zimmerman staircase on the gettyimages.com web site. Just search on Ryan Zimmerman. There's pictures of him there painting the stair red.

Posted by: Nats Fan | February 28, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, we took a pic of the step at the last game.

---

Yea, he hit the stairs way up in the 500 section. They painted the stair red.

Posted by: natsfan1a | February 28, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I know JB posted on a few Nats message boards back in the day. Just a solid guy and stud pitcher.

He's going to have a good year.

Posted by: FeaturePresentationOnline.com | February 28, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse