Did John Lannan really not make this team?

Lefty John Lannan gave up a run in the first inning of today's game against the Orioles. The reason: Dmitri Young inexplicably fielded a grounder and, instead of taking the out at first, tried to gun out Chris Roberson advancing from second to third. That play didn't work, and runners were at the corners. Roberson then scored on a groundout.

Lannan's line: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K.

Now, granted, that's against only two Orioles' regulars. But Lannan's spring ERA dropped to 2.18, by far the best among the candidates for the rotation. Matt Chico's ERA, by contrast, is 4.57. Lannan had seven walks and 16 strikeouts. Chico had nine walks and 10 strikeouts.

Remember what Acta said the other day, that Lannan would be up soon? That might be true even if Shawn Hill comes back healthy on April 13. Lannan might force them to do something if he pitches this way at Columbus.

Nationals lead 2-1 after seven. Felipe Lopez with a solo homer. Jesus Flores with a tie-breaking single in the seventh.

Elijah Dukes: He has a court matter in Tampa today, the result of an old violation of a domestic violence charge, one in which he is accused of violating an injunction. The case is a misdemeanor. I will report on the result, if any, in the paper. This is not a new matter and is something about which the Nationals were well-aware.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 27, 2008; 2:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Final Grapefruit League lineups -- and weather
Next: Stadium Stadium Stadium

Comments

If someone is performing this well, then you've got to find a way to work him in.

Posted by: joemktg | March 27, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Lannan will be up by the end of April. Either Hill won't be ready or Chico will be getting shelled and they'll send him down to work on his kick.

Posted by: NavyYard | March 27, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

The Nats won again. Finally.

Hey, it matters to me.

Posted by: Positively Half St | March 27, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

trade him.

Posted by: John Lannan's mom | March 27, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

To: Lannan's Mom

Bowden already did.

Go figure...straight up for another Red.

Edinson Volquez - career W/L - 3/11 - ERA - 7.20

You go Jimmy!!!

Posted by: Diz | March 27, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The loyalty to Chico from last year should not be keeping Lannan in the minors right now. If the team didn't think it was worth the spot of ML roster for Patterson to work back in to form, why should Chico have a spot while he is working on a major mechanics change in his delivery?

This is very odd and not something that I can agree with. I hope to see Hill back healthy very soon and a Chico/Lannan swap. Now that would be a decent rotation...

Posted by: Gibby | March 27, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

What's worse, not rewarding a guy who's setting the world on fire or change your mind three days before opening day on a guy you've been publicly supporting all spring?

I guess this is why managers are always so elusive during spring training about who the starters will be.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 27, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if anyone would give us decent value for Tim Redding if he has a decent April? Ditto that for all other Nats over 30, ie Dimitri Young and Ronnie Belliard.

Posted by: estuartj | March 27, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if anyone would give us decent value for Tim Redding if he has a decent April? Ditto that for all other Nats over 30, ie Guzman, Young and Belliard.

Posted by: estuartj | March 27, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Given the new no-tolerance policy with regards to the pitching staff, and Manny not losing any sleep over him. If Shawn doesn't make that start precisely that day and even then showed signs of not 100%....buy him a plane ticket with the J-Pat special and get him outta here.

Welcome to the new Washington Nationals.
Looking forward from this point on....not waiting on anybody, hope you can keep up.

Again, as a few days ago, somebody may need to reel me back in - but really, this organization is done being a doormat.

Posted by: Corey | March 27, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Corey,
I think there is a world of difference between cutting lose 30 yo Patterson who hadn't pitched a decent game since August of '05 and Shawn Hill (27 yo?) who pitched very well at times just last year.

But you are right, this team is nobody's doormat anymore...

Posted by: estuartj | March 27, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

While waiting for someone to trash their computer it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't seen a picture of "Slick" Nick "The Stick" "Bolts" Johnson's new do. Have any been posted anywhere and I missed the link? Do we think he'll leave it in place (or get it freshened up) and show it off on opening night?

Posted by: OldGuy | March 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations Nat's fans. Your team beat a bunch of scrubs, most of which, aren't even good enough to make the O's Opening Day Roster.

Savor this moment kids, there won't be many postives for the Nats once the season starts.

Now the Birds on the other hand, we're just waiting for the regular season to start up before we start dominating the American League on our way to the World Series.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

estuatj: I wouldn't be surprised to see either Belliard or Lopez traded, but not both. Also possible trade candidates: Harris, Mackowiac, Young, Boone, Perez...possibly Orr as well.

Not Redding though. He may be 30 now, but he's got plenty left in him, is cheap, and is just returning to his original potential, and we could use the pitching depth still. So why Perez? I think part of the reason we signed him and then made him OD starter was in the hopes of getting decent trade value for him. Just a theory...

Posted by: BigNatsFan | March 27, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the Bergman hasn't made it through a season injury free and that Redding has issues too. We'll see Lannan soon enough.

And probably Balester and Clippard too!

Posted by: Sec 314 | March 27, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the Bergmann hasn't made it through a season injury free and that Redding has issues too. We'll see Lannan soon enough.

And probably Balester and Clippard too!

Posted by: Sec 314 | March 27, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there's any doubt that the Nats view Lannan's future stock as much higher than Chico's. Barry has said as much. And no question that Lannan has outperformed this Spring.

However, I have no doubt that the Nats are making the right move by having Lannan start the season at Columbus. The guy needs to build up arm strength--the team shut him down after 160 innings last year. Even when he was pitching well in the minors last season, he threw zero complete games, and he did not pitch deep into his starts (look at his IP/GS for last year here: http://tinyurl.com/yuckyv ).

The best thing for Lannan would be for him to go to Columbus for half a season, dominate, develop the arm strength to pitch deep into his games and learn situational pitching, and then we'll see him in July. It's much tougher to do that for the first time at the big league level.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | March 27, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't have a problem going with Chico over Lannan out of loyalty. Aside from the fact that spring numbers don't mean that much, opening day rosters likewise don't mean much. Lannan may be in Columbus for a few weeks, but he'll surely be headed to Nationals Park by the end of May, if not much much sooner. Plus, I hear he doesn't have an amazing new leg kick, so why bother?

Posted by: mrlogical | March 27, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

My Nationals blog

Posted by: KW | March 27, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: KW | March 27, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

O'Exec you made me laugh! O's and world series in the same sentence. Yeah, that and a new hair rug for Mr. Angelo's will get you a hug from your mommy. Maybe gas will go back to a dollar. Nice, great, cool. Keep the jokes coming.

I've got one that involves a 2nd/SS from Puerto Rico....blahblahblah

Posted by: NiceNat | March 27, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

By the way, did anyone else listen to this game on the Gameday feed? The only feed available was the Baltimore broadcast, and at some point they said the Nationals put someone in at SS that they didn't know, so they were just going to call him "Johnny National," which they did. A)This is hilarious/moronic. B)Who was it, anyway? I would assume if it were Guzman or Lopez, even O's broadcasters would know who it was.

Posted by: mrlogical | March 27, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Ian desmond at SS

Posted by: NiceNat | March 27, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

anyone see the beer listings yet? not a bad selection - can be improved but its decent.

i am going to have to get a third job though, in order to pay 7.50 for domestic drafts. of all the pricing markups in the stadium - including food, tickets, merchandise - just once i would like to see affordable beer prices. JUST ONCE.

Posted by: theraph | March 27, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

mrlogical,

They took that 16 year old kid and gave him a real workout

Shh, don't tell nobody.

Posted by: Corey | March 27, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone seriously thank that Hill will be healthy? Hello Lannan, Hill, I hear Texas is looking for DL grade arms.

Posted by: SLB | March 27, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

So we have a young pitcher who just had an outstanding spring and he's going to start the season in AAA.

The Plan, let me introduce you to Success.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 27, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

This is the best part of the blog so far today.

Maybe him and Dmitri can have a contest to see who can beat up more women during the regular season.

Come talk to me when the O's knowingly sign/trade for players who beat women. And don't cite Albert Belle, who had charges filed against him AFTER he had finished playing for the O's.

Also, I again, would like to extend an open invitation to the Nationals fans to come on up I-95, get some Boog's BBQ or crabcakes and watch a REAL, WINNING baseball team (The Orioles) tak on the AL East.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You should have named it:

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 27, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

That's "Diamond" Ian Desmond.

(I'm really, really trying to get the name to stick.)

-----

Ian desmond at SS

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 27, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time the O's had a winning season? Played .500? I can't remember...I know that the nats played .500 alot more recently than the O's (2005). Anyone know the answer? Just curious.

Posted by: BigNatsFan | March 27, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Hill the benefit of the doubt, but I do believe that injuries/lack of performance will force the Nats hand in regards to Lannan. While Coverage may right about the best way to bring Lannan along, the Nats will want to put their best product on the field in the early months of the season, when the crowds are the biggest. What difference does it make if Lannan can only go 4 or 5 innings. If the bullpen is the strength of the team, why not use it?

Posted by: NavyYard | March 27, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Theraph, get used to it. Last year the Nats had the least expensive ballpark food in the majors. What you will see now ($7.50 beers and all) is just a move to average.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 27, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

where can I find the beer listings???

Posted by: e | March 27, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Ladies & Gentlemen:

May I suggest we all simply ignore the bizarre posts from this "O's Exec" ? This is clearly an attempt to get attention with outlandish and provacative posts. Aside from Peter Angelos not even the most ardent O's fan would make these foolish comments. This person is scamming the blog to get some kicks. Let's just ignore this loser and deny the fix they are craving.

Posted by: NatFan | March 27, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I might have to side with the O's on this one. their beers arent 7.50 for the domestics. thats a tad too high. pittsburgh and philly were not that high either. use the verizon center model - it seems to work for them. more money but larger pours.

all im saying is that they are raping the fans everyway to sunday. at least they could make the beer somewhat reasonable. and why should the average fan get used to it? just because its the way it is?

for whatever reason, i dont get upset about high food prices. but i do get upset about high beer prices. the fact that high life, for instance, can sell a 6 pack at 3 bucs in stores and still make a profit, shows that companies are willing to settle for lower than maximum revenue. i think stadiums should follow suit.

i just cant accept it. call me stubborn and stupid. everything else is part of the deal. but the beer prices of 7.50 is not average. its excessive. thats NYC prices, thats LA prices.

if they want to get serious about it, tie it to the success of the team. teams that perform poorly should have lower beer prices than those that are perennial winners. the fans deserve that, at least.

Posted by: theraph | March 27, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

An addendum to my previous post, not having seen the latest from O's Exec. The woman beating comment is highly offensive and needs to be removed. Given the progression of these comments I further suggest to the blog adminstrators that they not allow any more postings from this person.

Posted by: NatFan | March 27, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Ignore me? Please if it wasn't for me and my well-educated posts this blog would be about as boring as Howard Kurtz's online chats.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh wise NJ'ers ... can someone clarify something for me. If parking at RFK and taking the shuttle, I know the Nats have been saying that the shuttle will run "continuously from at least an hour and a half before game time through an hour and a half after the last inning."

But, will the parking lot be open earlier than an hour and a half before the game? If I want to get to RFK early and tailgate then take the shuttle to the new ballpark, can I? Or will I come across a closed Lot 8 until 90 minutes before game time?

Also, which beers will be at Nats Park?? Any local breweries/microbrews? I really need to know this!

Thanks!

Posted by: e | March 27, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Remember, Orioles slogan for this year" "Party Like It's 1988!"

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

NatFan

We'll forever and and from this day forget there is a baseball team in Baltimore. 395 leads is the inner harbour where you can see nice random act playing/singing/jumping/dancing and buy expensive crap in the near by ripoff shops and stores etc etc etc. You can pay good money to see a nice aquarium for the hundreth time.

There are no O'Exec and Balti-morons in this blog. No I don't see them....

Posted by: NiceNat | March 27, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec, you can play if you play nice. you don't have to stand outside the playground and yell things to try to get attention. If you really want to contrast the Nats and O's let's see some reasoned argument, preferably using obscure statistics with four letter acronyms.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 27, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Did I mention the Aquarium? Yes, that'll do it for B'more...

Posted by: NiceNat | March 27, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@NatFan,

Get over yourself. Blogs are free for anyone who wishes to post and are not gated electronic communities. While I agree that O's Exec is a Baltimoron, as long as he's not abusive he should be free to post. I think some on this blog believe that it's exclusively "theirs," when it's not. O's Exec makes me laugh because he can't possibly be serious and if he is, God help him.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 27, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

MASN = Mr. Angelos Screws Nats -is carrying tomorrow's exhibition game, hopefully with OUR announcers.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Beg your pardon but to a certain O's fan some Washington players have domestic problems and no doubt that is true. But I guess lying to federal grand juries(Rafe), spitting on umpires(Alomar),or a safe harbor for roid' users(Segui,Palmiero,Anderson,Tejada...oh my fingers are getting tired should I continue?)is ok... but hey let's not bring up the past!

Posted by: nicknatnut | March 27, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Barry, Do the Nats plan on limiting Lannan's innings again this year? If yes, why waste them at Columbus?

Posted by: Tom | March 27, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Well, I just got into town last night, and you can't turn on a television or radio without hearing about the Nats... I think that's great... there's more buzz about the Nats than at any time since 2005... Though I must say, that I was a bit dismayed to see the lead story on one of the television news sports segments was the announcement of the Redskins opener in September.

An aberration, I think.

Posted by: Wigi | March 27, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

High beer prices serve two purposes. They make money for the team, and probably more importantly they discourage fans from drinking too much. That is probably a good thing. If we must have drunks at the stadium, it's better to have the well-heeled ones who can afford to post bail. Anyway, beer prices at the ballpark are always the first ones that will be set too high. And really, when you consider that taxes (including the special concession taxes that are part of the ballpark financing package) are included in that price, it's really not all that high.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 27, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@Wigi,

That was no aberration. Channel 9 led all of its 6 p.m. sportscasts with ":no new developments on the search for the Redskins new head coach" from the times Joe Gibbs stepped down until Jim Zorn was hired. Welcome to town.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Just got my bus tickets for the Milwaukee and Chicago series in August. I'll be at Miller Park for the August 8, 9 and 10 games, and at Wrigley for the 22 and 23 games.

Tickets for the Cubs games on August 22 and 23 are sold out, but Stub Hub has some (overpriced, mind you). Shockingly, tickets are still available for all Brewers/Nats games.

Factoring in the three games here in Minneapolis and the five or so I should be able to catch at Nats Park in April, that's not a bad showing.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get to Cincinnati for the Independence Day weekend series. They're giving away camouflage Griffey jerseys that Saturday. (That way, you have an excuse other than injuries for not seeing him on the field?) To this point, no dice.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 27, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Bravo JiM,

I take it that you aren't a fan of the Washington team that absconded to your home town in 1961?

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 27, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey, no bashing Baltimore. Johns Hopkins is there with their medical center. I have a relative going there for cancer treatment. I have the utmost respect for Baltimoreans.

What?

Oh, the BASEBALL TEAM? Do they have one?

Ok, whatever, keep on bashing then.

Posted by: SF Fan | March 27, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

to o's exec:

albert belle had abuse charges filed against him both before and after his tenure in b-more. not that it matters all that much. i'm just saying.

Posted by: blueson | March 27, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Just browsed the ESPN preview. All their 'experts' have picked the Nats to be within 2 games of last year's finish. Going out on a limb much there guys? I think they don't really do that much research into the teams that aren't the frontrunners. Well at least Buster moved us up from picking us for 49 wins last year to 74 this time. Hope he's way under again.

Posted by: Bazz | March 27, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

You guys are just wet blankets, jealous of the fact that the BALTIMORE ORIOLES are well on their way to dominating the AL East and AL as they get ready to capture the 2008 MLB World Series Title. No need to be jealous since your beloved Nationals will be battling against the Marlins, Pirates, and Royals for the absolute worst record in MLB this year.

Again, everyone up here at The Warehouse (Mr. Angelos included) is inviting disgruntled Nats fans (most of whom are closet O's fans) to make the short drive up I-95 to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and watch a real, quality baseball team play night in and night out.

Boog's got some new items on his menu this year, the crabcakes have an extra ingredient, and the beer is cold. So, come on up, bring the kids, bring the parents, bring the grandparents, uncles, aunts, cousins, and watch the O's win the AL East, AL, and World Series in 2008.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

I think it should be "Lightning" Johnson. It's simple and sweet like something from Malamud. Let's hope he has some in that bat cause it looks like we are going to need it.

Posted by: Cindy Lou | March 27, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

I agree that none of us own this blog. But it does have a certain agreeable tone that a lot of regulars would like to maintain. Hence the suggestion that trolls not be fed. But I also agree with 506 that reasoned contributions from O's Exec (or any other non-Nats fans) are welcome. I think a lot of us were and/or are fans of other teams in addition to the Nats, and if you've been a baseball fan in DC for part or all of the period from 1971-2005 then the chances that you are an O's fan are pretty high.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 27, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how many Nats fans would change their feelings of animosity towards to Orioles if the O's embraced a philosophy of excellence, rather than greed?

Posted by: Wigi | March 27, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Did anybody read about what Livan did in a game against the Rays the other day? He got a guy out bunting by kicking the ball perfectly to the first baseman:

He still has an ERA well above 6 for the spring, but I still love the guy.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 27, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Nat-King:

I will give your blog a try. Have fun, root hard.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 27, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

I was working a summer near Boston and I saw Fergy Jenkins pitch #300 at Fenway while he was with the Indians back in the '70s. Some night! I think that was my first Major League game that I saw live since the Senators left DC. Anyway, I have to tell you, I got a Fenway beer from one of the tap stands. That sucker must have come in a cup that had to be as big as a Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket - swear to god that's how big that thing was. It wasn't priced out of this world either. I have to say it is the single most valued bargain I've ever gotten in my life.! Good ole Fenway.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 27, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Yes, and my Dad used to tell me of being a kid in the late 30's early 40's and being given a bucket to go downstairs from the apartment in West New York, NJ to the bar to get a bucket of beer. I swear he said it was a nickel.

Times were different, and for better or worse, beer was cheaper and not so restricted. The huge beer in Fenway is also from a time gone by now.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 27, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

@O's Exec,

Don't get swagger because I said you should be able to post. I was defending your right to do so, not endorsing your drivel.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 27, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I am going to go dish my kids some ice cream for dessert now, and get myself a beer.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 27, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

Remember, your mantra for this season is "Partying Like It's 1988!"

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

I will reiterate something I posted a couple of weeks ago. If one takes the only significant stats - i.e. in games that count - with which one can make an apples to apples comparison, Matt Chico has been better than John Lannan. Go look at their minor league stats. It's more than about loyalty. Chico's been better over the long haul. He's deserves the first shot. 20-25 innings in spring training is somewhat meaningless.

Posted by: #4 | March 27, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

I would still consider Claudio Vargas, but it is hard to think of sending both Chico and Lannan to AAA.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 27, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

How about getting rid of Tim Redding? Or Odalis Perez? Why are they untouchable?

Posted by: Art Cor...velay | March 27, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

but drivel, is awl I have.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Claudio Vargas is a great fit with us I think Chico should be sent down to AAA.

Posted by: DJ 26 | March 27, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

nats.com says manny will formally announce on saturday his decision on the winners of the first base and middle infield jobs.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer Alberto Vargas; he'd help out the marketing quite a bit.

Posted by: MIB girls | March 27, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Bowden won't go after Vargas because it would require him admitting he made a mistake waiving Vargas back in 2005. Vargas would have made more sense than Perez back when we signed him but Vargas wasn't available then. You cannot have Redding, Perez and Vargas. None of them will be around two years from now and all you do is impede the development of Chico and Lannan who might.

Posted by: Cindy Lou | March 27, 2008 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Gemahlene Nüsse zugeben und
Den Teig verkneten

Augenballgroße Stücke vom Teig formen
Im Staubzucker wälzen und
Sagt die Zauberwörter
Simsalbimbamba Saladu Saladim

Auf ein gefettetes Backblech legen und
Bei zweihundert Grad für fünfzehn Minuten backen und
KEINE EIER

Bei zweihundert Grad für fünfzehn Minuten backen und
Keine Eier ..

Posted by: B. Crocker | March 27, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

wapo.com reporting that the nats and metro have reached agreement to create 300 more parking spaces in the shadow of nats park. link:

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 27, 2008 9:29 PM | Report abuse

In regards to our poster O's Exec and all others here at Nationals Journal:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Posted by: Voltaire | March 27, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry eeeeenteresting.

But zufiel zucker! Und stupid.

Posted by: Arte Johnson | March 27, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

MlB Girls,

In his day, Antonio Vargas was a master of the curve. Of many different curves, in fact.

Posted by: blueson | March 27, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Dang. I no sooner get cookies turned off, and now I have to deal with hash brownies?? Man, I'm going to Hendo's. Who's with me?

Posted by: MIB Alice and Gertie | March 27, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Clark Construction camera.

Welcome home boys. See you soon.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 27, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

The Weekend section coming out tomorrow has a couple articles promoting the return of baseball --- in Baltimore. "Not Necessarily the Nats" and "Baltimore: The O's, the Babe, and More". Swing and a miss Washington Post, you're out.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 27, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I got some pretty good pics of Nick yesterday at the ATL/WASH ST game, one without his hat on. I can't see any lightning bolts, but it is an interesting new look. When I get home I'll figure out a place to post them, and some other great ST shots I got including Zim's HR on Monday.

Posted by: Twinbrook | March 27, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

Wigi...
The guy on Channel 7 is a football type, which seems to sort of be the standard. So, no surprise.
The last great TV sports type in this town died some years ago, Glenn Brenner was bright, funny, baseball oriented (I'm sure that, had he lived, he would have been leading the charge to bring baseball back to DC, unlike most of the broadcast and print journalists in the area) and had only one black mark against him. He pitched for the Phillies. But that probably wasn't his fault.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 27, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

To All:
Check the stadium cam for the 8:07 image. I think that we are just about there!!!!

HOOOBooy!!!!!

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 27, 2008 10:34 PM | Report abuse

Are you complaining about the future?

I'm still trying to rehabilitate my injured opening day excitement from all the Negative Nancy posts around here...save the future glass is half empty remarks for the future.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 27, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

To Steven, the guy who posted back a few entries ago on taking his son to Opening Night - I understand your angst, but Opening Night just seems to have a lot of logistical issues - first game, the President, etc.

I don't know how old your son is, but if he's a little guy (under 12) go to a Sunday afternoon game when kids run the bases. It's a kick to watch all the little guys and girls running their hearts out. I'll bet your son will love it!!!!

Posted by: natswriter | March 27, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

@Bob L.,

While I agree with the "disagree without being disagreeable" philosophy, blogs, by nature, are designed as places where fans can question, suggest, reprimand, rebuke criticize, praise and vent. I think the best blog on this site is Tarik El-Bashir's Capitals blog. Sometimes, read the real-time emotions of Caps fans as they watch the games. Last week against Atlanta fans were morose, upset, aggravated, angsted, depressed and suicidal until the caps won in overtime. Then, the posts were like one big primal scream! Blogs are meant to let fans express their true feelings and emotions. It can't - and shouldn't - always be civil discourse. I apologize in advance to anyone who's feelings I have bruised.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 27, 2008 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Clark Construction Cam @ 9:44 PM - this must be the Nats on the stadium tour.

Posted by: natsagain | March 27, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals website now has the Nationals Park A-Z guide listed (a feature mlb.com does for all ballparks): http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ballpark/a-z_guide.jsp. I've been looking for it recently, so it must have just been put up this evening. I just started reading it - it looks pretty extensive.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 27, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

John in Mpls,

Speaking as a former Reds fan now Nats fan, I recommend going to Cincinnati for a game. Having made the trip from VA a few times as a kid and an adult, I can confidently say you will enjoy it. Great fans, very nice and knowledgeable. You shouldn't get much crap for rooting for the Nats.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | March 27, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Manny Acta will catch Bush's pitch on Opening Day:

Posted by: Juan-John | March 27, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Does somebody have a link to ANY of the games Chad Cordero played in last year for natsscribe? I don't think anyone at Nats Journal has a problem with posting real time emotion.

What I and many others do have a problem with is ridiculous drivel that is supposed to pass for an exchange of ideas. Yes you are, no I'm not, is not a debate, to quote Michael Palin, that's just a simple contradiction. The problem with feeding the trolls is that they don't want to hear anyone else's ideas and they don't even want you to believe their ideas, they just want to be really, really obnoxious.

Similarly, the problem I've always had with the coverage debate is that it continues forever and ever. I used to argue in it all the time until I realized that Coverage is Lacking or 419 and I weren't actually trying to listen to each other, we were just trying to say our own piece over and over again.

We stopped talking about it for the most part and viola! turns out I think 419 and Coverage can both be pretty funny. I still don't agree with them and I still think they're too abrasive, and I still think they're over concerned about the coverage (sorry, guys, this really is a positive example), but we can exchange ideas on other things going on and in doing so, I feel like I understand the whole coverage thing a little better too, even if I disagree. (okay, you can light into me, I deserve it, just make it funny)

But O's Exec does not even really care that much about the O's, he just wants to annoy people. He probably tells all his friends "I say nasty things about the Nats on NJ and they all get mad, it's sooooo funny." For one post he showed a brief glimpse of worth as a life form when #4 somehow got a shot in on him, then went right back to being a waste of molecules.

If he wants to do that and for real be an O's Fan foil, I welcome him. It might be kinda interesting to have a devil's advocate around. But I plan on ignoring him/correcting his grammar as long as he keeps wasting away his hours on earth trying to wind up people on the internet.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 28, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

@506

But it's O's Exec's right to post in an open forum even if he's not a "real Orioles fan.' This isn't a closed system run by a few people for a few people. Did I miss a vote, or something? Do you know how annoying some of the "inside" posts between writers are to some of us who regularly read NJ? I don't think they should be banned for being annoying. As I earlier said, this is not a gated blogospherical community. Remember the poster who called himself "ty" back when the Nats obtained Milledge and Dukes and the racist garbage he was posting? Well, no one took his bait and he went away. I think our Baltimoron friend will eventually do likewise, but since this is the Post's blog and we have no control over who can and cannot post unless the rules are broken I don't see a problem. What's wrong with meeting idiocy with cutting sarcasm once in a while? Blogs are places where fans can banter "my team vs. your team." They are inclusive, not exclusive.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

"crab cakes
cal
camden yards
dundalk
inner harbor

Posted By: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 10:22 AM"

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

i do believe that on this blog
the correct spelling is
trOll
as in
do not feed the trOlls.

that said, i was happy
to see a recipe posted
in the midst of a mild flame war.
over on another blog
that is the custom
for responding to
trOlls:
don't engage them,
post a recipe.

but i think ignoring them
is even better.

like most six year olds
if you ignore them
they shut up.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Forgive me if it has already been posted - I didn't have time to review the comments.

I know he/it is a total homer cheeseball (but, hey, to each his own) but check on Nats320 blog. He has some pretty cool pictures from the team at the stadum last night.

MOST IMPORTANTLY
He has pictures of Nick's lightning bolts - not as distinct as I would've hoped but still a solid cut.

Also, I think somebody pointed this out at BPG - but, Zims and the NBC chick look pretty friendly.

Posted by: Corey | March 28, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Blogs are designed?

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 28, 2008 8:00 AM | Report abuse

leetee, the only problem I have with what you say is that...

"Well, no one took his bait and he went away. I think our Baltimoron friend will eventually do likewise..."

...and...

"What's wrong with meeting idiocy with cutting sarcasm once in a while?"

...are at direct odds with each other. I never said block him, I just said don't feed him. As a huge fan of sarcasm, I too am drawn to the latter, but then he just hangs around more.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 28, 2008 8:08 AM | Report abuse

for interested parties:

YOU MAKE THE CALL VOTING UPDATE

Hey Nats fans, we asked you to pick your favorite songs to
be played at Nationals Park and you did so by the thousands
(over 11,000 votes cast). The results are in!

The first Home Run launched out of Nationals Park by one of
our Nats players each game will be followed by local legend
Chuck Brown's "Bustin Loose"!

The first time you ever stand up, stretch and sing-along in
the 7th inning -- after "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" of
course -- you'll be singing "Shout" by Otis Day and the Knights.

Finally, when the Nationals put a curly "W" on the board
after a Nats win, the fans will be celebrating to U2's
"Beautiful Day".

We hope to continue to solicit your opinions
throughout the season for Nationals Park music and more,
so be on the look-out!

Welcome Home Nats Fans to your new traditions!

Home Run Song Final Standings

1. Beautiful Day by U2
2. Celebration by Kool And The Gang
3. Dancing In The Streets by Martha Reeves and the Vandelas
4. How Do You Like Me Now by Toby Keith
5. Rock and Roll Part 2 by Gary Glitter

Posted by: theraph | March 28, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Decided to do a little analysis of my favorite team versus my former favorite team. An asterisk goes to the team with the advantage at each position.

*Lo Duca -- Hernandez
*Owner -- Troll
*GM -- Handcuffs
*President -- Handcuffs
*Manager -- Manager
Stadium TBD Stadium
*Minors -- Minors

Advantage Nationals by far. Camden Yards remains a very nice place to watch a game -- particularly when a major league team comes to visit. The O's do have parking. They do have a rich tradition. And if they ever get rid of Angelos they might rebound. But the Nationals Park is going to be a top ten park. If parking and transportation get worked out it could be a top 5. And even with over priced beer the Lerner's appear to be good owners.

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 28, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Will the Sunday game be on free, over-the-air TV at all? I generally prefer radio, so I don't have either ESPN or MASN. But this one I want to see.

Posted by: #31 | March 28, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

As the great James Earl Jones said in the movie "Field of Dreams," "You're seeing a team of psychiatrists, aren't you?"

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"Will the Sunday game be on free, over-the-air TV at all?"

Nope, just ESPN - in HD. Not on MASN. If you want to watch it on TV for free, though, I think there may be some spots outside the ballpark where you can stand and see the big screen scoreboard. But that might not be a good idea with Bush in attendance, as you may get taken for a terrorist stalker. Or there's always the construction webcam - although I bet that will be blacked out during the game.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, my last post was supposed include a quote from a previous post, as follows:

Posted by: O's Exec | March 27, 2008 07:11 PM

Posted by: rbpalmer | March 28, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

johnsons lightning bolts are amazing.

next i think he should shave .OBP into his hair.

Posted by: theraph | March 28, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

off topic, but this is great...an ncaa tourney for the worst offseason signings/trades...in the elite 8 now. pretty cool.

Posted by: ed | March 28, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

"They do have a rich tradition."

Correction: They HAD a rich tradition.

Angelos called in an air strike on that along time ago and it will not be rebuilt until he sells the team.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | March 28, 2008 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Well I rooted for dem O's for too long to completely turn my back on them. I'm a fan of the team but obviously hate their owner. Not sure who else goes through this but we have a split household regarding loyalties. My son is completely an O's fan and doesn't care one bit about the Nats. My main rooting interest is for the Nats and against the RedSox & Yankees. I guess I need to add the Mets to that list too.

Posted by: Bazz | March 28, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations Barry. One foot out the door and NOW you get a photo up?

(scroll to the bottom)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 28, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Actually, the Nats are my home team (I'm from Maryland, moved here last January). I actually really like the Twins. They're my favorite AL team, and have been since I was a kid. The Nats could learn a few things from them, really. They have excellent player development, for one, and they find ways to be successful despite a smaller budget.

Keep in mind, also, that this team was scheduled for contraction along with the Expos, but when the Twins won the division, all contraction plans were thrown out the window. So, even though this city took away a budding Harmon Killebrew and the Senators from Washington, it also indirectly made it possible for the Expos to move to DC.

They also have great giveaways. Seriously, a Joe Mauer fishing lure? I will definitely be one of the first 10,000 fans at the Metrodome that day.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 28, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

There's a report out there that the nats almost got dunn last summer for glenn gibson (the guy they traded for dukes) But that bowden thought that he strikes out to much and wouldn't hit good in the new park. so he got dukes instead. Barry do you know anything about this.

Posted by: DJ 26 | March 28, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I know Boz has some detractors in here, but do yourself a favor and read his column on H3 today (the special section on the new stadium). He's up in the "worst seat in the park," at the furthest reaches of the grandstand, which, as I and others have said before, is actually a terrific seat, because it's not all that far from the field, and it has great views of Washington, including the Capitol Building just to your left.

He writes, "So, you say, casually putting your arm around the dome, does it look like Shawn Hill has his good stuff tonight?"

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 28, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

"So, even though this city took away a budding Harmon Killebrew and the Senators from Washington, it also indirectly made it possible for the Expos to move to DC."

oh... John in Mpls, tell me you didn't just go there... you *KNOW* we baseball fans would have preferred to keep the senators 47 years ago as opposed to getting an expansion franchise for 10 yrs, then waiting 34 yrs to get the expos shipped in to replace them, right? ;)

Posted by: 231 | March 28, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

and new post.

Posted by: 231 | March 28, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

JiM,

I personally attended two watershed events in Twins history, to my dismay.
I was at DC Stadium in September 1965 when the Twins clinched their first AL pennant - where else - in Washington. Jim Kaat beat Pete Richert 2-1.
I also was at the first game that Bert Blyleven ever started. Prophetically, he gave up a home run to the first batter he ever faced - Lee Maye - but also won that game 2-1.

Memories, memories.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I'm up.

Posted by: Gnu Post | March 28, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think O exec is funny. People shouldnt take things so literally.

Btw, Bring up SMOKER!

Posted by: The BigC from DC | March 28, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I said "even though"!

-----

oh... John in Mpls, tell me you didn't just go there

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 28, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse