Fill out your lineup card

Just arrived in Jupiter (you fill in the blanks there), and I will provide the requisite links from the $.35/$.50 edition before heading to the clubhouse. Here's Paul Lo Duca and horse racing, and a notebook that talks about the four-man rotation and has some interesting news about a Dominican player they're working out today (though early word is that the workout has been pushed back till this afternoon or perhaps tomorrow morning).

But it's time for an exercise. Between now and the 1:05 p.m. start of Nationals v. Cardinals, please list your lineup for Opening Night against the Braves. The batting order and positions, please. We know right-hander Tim Hudson will start for the Braves.

Have at it.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 25, 2008; 10:10 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bowden Family Wiffle Ball (and other news)
Next: Nick Johnson's hair: Lightning bolt

Comments

SS C. Guzman
CF Milledge
3B Zimmerman
LF Dukes
1B Johnson
RF Kearns
2B Belliard
C Lo Duca
P Perez

Seems pretty possible

Posted by: Paul in 105 | March 25, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Maybe switch Kearns and Dukes around,

Though I think Dukes is much more talented than Kearns, ...Kearns is a known commodity (having played full seasons) and he will certainly have better power numbers this year in the new stadium...

what about Milledge as leadoff?

Posted by: The BigC from DC | March 25, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I am going with this although it was tough on how to hit Dukes, LoDuca and Belliard. I could see moving those guys around. I don't think Acta will bat LoDuca 2nd because I think he is set to have Milledge batting there. So here is mine:

SS C. Guzman (S)
CF Milledge (R)
3B Zimmerman (R)
1B Johnson (L)
RF Kearns (R)
LF Dukes (R)
C LoDuca (R)
2B Belliard (R)
P Perez (L)

You could also make an argument for Lopez because he can hit lefty and that would balance out the lineup. However, this is the first game and if he isn't named the started how can you have him in the opening day lineup. Also, if Belliard gets traded put Lopez in that spot.

Posted by: BRothbart | March 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Opening day lineup:
leadoff: Guzman (S) SS
#2 : Milledge (R) CF
#3 : Zimmerman (R) 3B
#4 : Johnson (L) 1B
#5 : Kearns (R) RF
#6 : Belliard (R) 2B
#7 : Dukes (R) LF *
#8 : LoDuca (R) CA
#9 : Perez (R) SP

* If Dukes is unable to start, Harris or Makowski will fill in LF.

The regular starting lineup-all year-will have a right-handed bias due to the lack of any left-handed hitters who could start.

Posted by: Vienna | March 25, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"Anyone received their confirmation/denial e-mail fr om the Nats to purchase OD tix yet? I thought they said they would let people know by today (I better not have to wait until the end of the day to find out if I can buy tix or not)."

Did they actually say they would e-mail people to tell them they *weren't* selected in the Opening Day ticket lottery? I'd be very surprised if they did that. They no doubt received thousands of entries for just a couple hundred tickets. I bet only those relatively few entrants who won the right to purchase tickets will receive an e-mail today. Is there any other lottery in the world that notifies people that they have lost? Hell, a lot of them (such as the Powerball type lotteries) rely on the winners to figure out themselves that they have won. I would say if you don't receive an e-mail today saying you were selected in the lottery, your next stop should be StubHub. Don't bother calling the Nats to ask if you won, because the answer will surely be no.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 25, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

C. Guzman - 6
Milledge - 8
Zimmerman - 5
Johnson - 3
Kearns - 9
Dukes - 7
Belliard - 4
Lo Duca - 2
Perez - 1

Johnson is absolutely clean-up, but Dukes is too much of a question-mark to hit fifth on opening day. Not for our team, mind you, but in their minds. You have to play the game, you know?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 25, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Dukes 7
Kearns 9
Belliard 4
LoDuca 2
Perez 1

Posted by: Corey | March 25, 2008 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Braves fan checking in. I haven't seen an official announcement, but I was wondering if Odalis is a lock to start on Opening Night. I assume that the fact that all of you have him batting 9th and pitching, it's all but official, but I thought this would be the best place to find the answer.

Come check out our site if you want. It never hurts to have some good banter between all of us and fans of rival teams, so long as the discussion is kept on baseball and not a bunch of flaming.

Posted by: Braves-Nation.com | March 25, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Johnson, 3
Kearns, 9
Belliard, 4
LoDuca, 2
Dukes, 7
Perez, 1

I think 1-5 are set and put 6-8 in the order above on the theory that (i) it gives the veterans precedence over Dukes; (ii) it takes some pressure off Dukes; and (iii) it gives you some semblance of a second 1-2-3 type lineup in the second half of the order.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 25, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Welcome, Braves fan. Yes Perez has been announced as the starter. And I agree that blog cross-pollination is a positive thing, trolls aside.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 25, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

If he weren't only just coming back from being hurt, I would consider putting Lo Duca in the 2-hole, where he has hit before.

Posted by: Positively Half St | March 25, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Braves-Nation.com, I think you're the first competitor commenter who actually sounds sane. Welcome.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 25, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I think 506, 231, and some others have it nailed. The only change would come via injury or trade.

A tougher question is what the lineup will be on, say, May 1st.

5 days!

Posted by: nattaboy | March 25, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

By far the worst idea yet! They never cease to amaze me with their stupidity. Probably not a good idea to start off the season pitching Bergmann on 3-days rest, you know, considering his history of arm trouble and all. Oh, Redding too.

Posted by: 4-man rotation | March 25, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Johnson. 3
Kearns. 9
Dukes. 7
Belliard. 4
LoDuca. 2
Perez. 1

Dukes will bat sixth because he's considered a middle of the order hitter. Johnson and Zim ought to be switched but won't be.

Posted by: #4 | March 25, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

What I would have as the line up:
Milledge (CF)

Johnson (1B)
Kearns (RF)
Dukes (LF)
Lo Duca (C)
Belliard (2B)
Perez (P)

I wonder if Mackowiak will be in left, but I figure he and Lopez will be spotted in against righties later, after Opening Day.

Posted by: PTBNL (or cash) | March 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I much prefer Belliard as a #2 hitter, but the lineup should be balanced from top to bottom.

SS 15 Cristian Guzman

Posted by: Neal D. | March 25, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

3/30 - Pitcher 1
3/31 - Pitcher 2
4/1 - Off day
4/2 - Pitcher 3
4/3 - Pitcher 4
4/4 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/5 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/6 - Pitcher 3 (on the 5th day)
4/7 - Pitcher 4 (on the 5th day)
4/8 - Off day
4/9 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/10 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/11 - Pitcher 3 (on the 5th day)
4/12 - Pitcher 4 (on the 5th day)
4/13 - 1st time Nats need 5th starter

Posted by: Schedule | March 25, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Braves fan: welcome. Very little flaming here, but we do do haiku.

Posted by: #1 Lurker | March 25, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the posters with whom nattaboy agrees.

Even with WMP hurt, this is a much more potent lineup than 2007's, perhaps due entirely to the absence of Nook Logan. Offensively, Lo Duca is an upgrade, and there's at least the expectation that Dukes will outperform Church.

Add Johnson's OBP and throw in Young's average off the bench, and I'm downright excited.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Guz - 6
L Millz - 8
Zimm - 5
Nick - 3
Kearns - 7
Belliard - 4
Lo Duca - 2
Dukes - 9
Perez - 1

Posted by: .390 | March 25, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Did they actually say they would e-mail people to tell them they *weren't* selected in the Opening Day ticket lottery? I'd be very surprised if they did that. They no doubt received thousands of entries for just a couple hundred tickets. I bet only those relatively few entrants who won the right to purchase tickets will receive an e-mail today. Is there any other lottery in the world that notifies people that they have lost? I would say if you don't receive an e-mail today saying you were selected in the lottery, your next stop should be StubHub.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 25, 2008 10:30 AM
---------------------------------
The Yankess did an online registration for the chance to purcahse OD tix or Red Sox tix. I signed up because if I'd won I'd have sold the Sox-Yanks tix to my friend. I received an e-mail telling me that I hadn't won the chance, but that tickets to other Yanks games were still available (a rather smart marketing move, if you ask me).

Posted by: e | March 25, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

On 4/6, the third pitcher is pitching on the fourth day, not fifth. Ditto with the fourth pitcher on 4/7.

Like Barry said, short rest for those guys.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

3B Zimmerman
RF Kearns
2B Belliard
LF Mackowiak
C LoDuca
P Perez

And, I would use Dmitri and Lopez in the game at some point if at all possible to set the tone. Possibly by letting Dmitri PH for Perez and letting Lopez run for Lo Duca (if he gets on).

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 25, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Guzman, Milledge, Zim,
Johnson, Kearns, Dukes, Belliard,
Lo Duca, Perez.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

You know how to keep us involved, Barry!
The Eternal Nationals Question: who bats leadoff? Everything else is pretty straight forward from there.

Guzman S 6
Millidge R 8
Zimmerman R 5
N Johnson L 3
Kearns R 9
LoDuca R 2
Dukes R 7
Belliard R 4
Perez 1

Another possibility is leading off with Milledge, Belliard 2-hole, and put Guzman down to 8 for a little speed at the bottom.
Ahh, how lovely it would be to have a semi-legitimate on-base/speed combo at the top of the order.
A Nats fan can dream...

Posted by: AJ | March 25, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

1- Guzman SS
2- LoDuca C
3- Zimmerman 3b
4- Johnson 1b
5- Kearns RF
6- Dukes LF
7- Belliard 2b
8- Milledge CF
9- Perez P

Posted by: TJh | March 25, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully this won't unravel as quickly as did my starting rotation prediction:

1. Guzman - 6

Dukes (7)
Belliard (4)
Lo Duca (2)
Perez (1)

Posted by: Ghost | March 25, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Better question:

Who gets hurt on Opening Day this year?

Posted by: GoNats | March 25, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

regarding the lottery:

I thought I remembered that you wouldn't hear for sure if you got the tickets until this Friday. I say be a little more patient before turning to StubHub.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 25, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Also, I believe the Sox and A's received $40K for the trip, not $14K. It is about marketing. That's why the NYY went in '04, the Dodgers went to China earlier this Spring, and I think the NYM went to Japan previously.

Nice game today, but where do those teams come up with such shakey closers? Street blew the game and the Lord of the Dance almost coughed it back. Run 'em both out of town.

On closers and the K-Rod /Chad comparison -I think a huge difference in K/9. Past 3 years for K-Rod K/9 is over 12, while Chad's K/9 is 7.8. Chad is also much more of a fly ball pitcher (KRod is about 1+:1, while Chad is 3:4). Thus, a lot more balls are hit off of Chad, and when they are hit, they are more liekly to be int he air.

Both are around 3:1 K/BB, and size-wise, they are both listed as 6' 0" and 195 - 200 lbs, so I suppose that is the similarity.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 25, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

3/30 - Pitcher 1
3/31 - Pitcher 2
4/1 - Off day
4/2 - Pitcher 3
4/3 - Pitcher 4
4/4 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/5 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/6 - Pitcher 3 (on the 5th day)
4/7 - Pitcher 4 (on the 5th day)
4/8 - Off day
4/9 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/10 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/11 - Pitcher 3 (on the 5th day)
4/12 - Pitcher 4 (on the 5th day)
4/13 - 1st time Nats need 5th starter

Posted by: Schedule | March 25, 2008 11:18 AM
===============
Actually, it should read (CHANGES IN CAPS):
3/30 - Pitcher 1
3/31 - Pitcher 2
4/1 - Off day
4/2 - Pitcher 3
4/3 - Pitcher 4
4/4 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/5 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/6 - Pitcher 3 ***(ON THE 4TH DAY) - FIRST TIME A 5TH STARTER'S NEEDED
4/7 - Pitcher 4 ***(ON THE 4TH DAY)
4/8 - Off day
4/9 - Pitcher 1 (on the 5th day)
4/10 - Pitcher 2 (on the 5th day)
4/11 - Pitcher 3 (on the 5th day)
4/12 - Pitcher 4 (on the 5th day)
4/13 - 1st time Nats need 5th starter

Posted by: CN | March 25, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

"Perhaps I'm too optimistic to think that it would be a good PR/Customer Service move for the Nats to contact all registrants reagrdless if they won or not. I seem to get a couple of e-mails daily from them telling me that I can purchase pathetic looking merchandise for 20-50% off, so I think it is do-able to e-mail all that entered."

The Nats FO has shown good ability to send out marketing e-mails to a laundry list of recipients, I would agree. But as for them being able to create a mailing list of people who fit a certain characteristic (e.g. having won or lost a lottery) and making sure that they don't inadvertently send e-mail to people outside that exclisive list, not so much. It's probably all they can do to accurately notify the lottery winners. If they wanted to also send an e-mail to the losers offering them some sort of consolation prize, although it would be a good idea I can imagine multiple situations where the same person would get one e-mail saying they'd won and another e-mail saying they'd lost. As with everything Nats ticket office-related, baby steps. Let them get the notification of winners right this year, and then maybe next year they'll be ready to take on more.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 25, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

This might be the better lineup come May 1st if Milledge and Zimm are really hitting and Wily Mo is back

Guzman
Johnson
Milledge
Zimmerman
Pena
Kearns
LoDuca
Belliard
Pitcher

Johnson just gets on so much and if Milledge can show what he is capable of it might be smart to make the switch. Also, if Kruk is right and Zimm is going to hit 50 HRs this year, he should be batting 4th.

It is a fun lineup to play with. I just wish we had a true leadoff hitter. That is something the Nats really need to go after next year or this year with a few trades.

Posted by: brothbart | March 25, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I'll not venture a guess here as I'm sure someone above me has nailed it down already. I would suggest Barry that you invite the first person to have it right an invitation to join you in the pressbox at a later date this season. The only prediction I'll make is that Hanrahan will bail out Perez and qualify for the win after a late rally only to have CC having us on pins and needles in the 9th. Afterall, how many blown saves has he had against the Braves? I can think of a few but I'm sure some of you know exactly the number.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | March 25, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

I went back and found the press release Barry posted here regarding Opening Day lottery.

I was wrong about Friday. You'll get an email today.

"Selected winners will be notified via e-mail on Tuesday, March 25 and will have 24 hours to purchase their tickets. Tickets must be printed at home and will not be available for pick up at the Box Office Will Call."

Posted by: NatsNut | March 25, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"Even with WMP hurt, this is a much more potent lineup than 2007's, perhaps due entirely to the absence of Nook Logan."

Hey, our lineup was plenty potent last year, and I was a big part of that!

Oh, wait. We stunk. Probably not the type of potency you meant...

Posted by: Nook Logan | March 25, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

i think milledge looks like he has the potential to be a classic #2 hitter and NJ is a great #3. then again, zimm looks like a pretty good #3, too. i'd rather see milledge stay in that 2 hole for the whole season.

sadly, we're missing a classic leadoff *and* cleanup hitter. at least for now. maybe dukes could be a good cleanup hitter down the line. but we don't have one now.

Posted by: 231 | March 25, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

We are much better team without Church in the lineup. Now we can put someone who is a little more consistent, who may actually drive in important runs and not when we are up or down by 3 runs.

Posted by: brothbart | March 25, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't see Milledge as classic #2 hitter. Strikes out a lot. Move the runner to 3rd by going the other way? Don't think so. Why not LoDuca in #2 hole? There's your classic #2 hitter.

Posted by: Cap Peterson | March 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Now that we're talking about opening night, would it be foolish to take the Nats' offer to drive to RFK and take their shuttle? I have visions of waiting hours to get back to my car when the game is over?

Posted by: Nats Gal | March 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I think most of here on pretty much the same page with regards to the opening day lineups, so I won't reiterate what's already been written - mine is not any different than anything that's already been posted. I definitely think we have a pretty solid lineup, though (as others have mentioned) we do lack a true lead-off hitter.

On another note, it looks like they're working on the big Curly W on the centerfield grass :)

Posted by: BSG | March 25, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Guzman 6
Milledge 8
Zimmerman 5
Johnson 3
Kearns 9
Dukes 7
Belliard 4
Lo Duca 2
Perez 1

Posted by: lowcountry | March 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Natsgal, I say go for it. I think we're all going to suffer some extra waiting that day regardless of our mode of transport. Better to embrace it than to try and fight it.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 25, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I also wasn't referring to the potency of the PEDs you were using, according to the Mitchell report. Someone obviously screwed up the dosage there.

-----

Oh, wait. We stunk. Probably not the type of potency you meant...

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

whoa there, tony clark isnt on this team, he of the ultimate junk time statistics magpie of all time - (JT's MOAT).

and, to be fair. church did have productive games down the stretch against playoff teams and during the may west coast road trip.

-----------------------

Posted by: brothbart | March 25, 2008 11:59 AM

Posted by: theraph | March 25, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

When is WMP due back? Middle of April, or later?

Posted by: John | March 25, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think we're nearing a consensus, with a very small amount of divergence on 6-8. There are some weird outliers (no WAY Lastings bats 7 or 8 after hitting 2 ALL preseason), but I think we've pretty much nailed it.

I think Dukes will be good-to-go (*but Mack gets nod if not). Also, the way Belly is hitting this spring he gets the edge over Dukes and LoDuca. I like the idea of giving Dukes some protection, which would mean batting him 7th, and not 8th. LoDuca is a low-K contact hitter, meaning you have to pitch to Dukes (more of a free swinger), instead of throwing him all junk to get to the 9 spot. At least, that's my theory this early on. LOVE having potential high-BA guys at 6 and 8, with some pop in between. SUCH a change from last year:

Guzman (S) SS

Kearns - 9
NJ - 3
Belly - 4
Lo Duca - 2
Dukes - 7
Perez - 1

I still think that benching Lopez is not the best move unless it was truly about losing the clubhouse. Nobody on the team makes sense to hit leadoff besides Lopez and I wouldn't be surprised to see Guzman hitting .265 with a .310 obp by the end of April or may. At that point do we go with Lastings for leadoff? I guess we'll see.

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | March 25, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Guzman ss
Milledge cf
zim 3b
johnson 1b
kearns rf
la duca c
dukes lf
perez p
belliard 2b

(belliard will bat 8th but putting him 9th would be perfect for guzman.

Posted by: dk | March 25, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

i still cant believe the mets gave us milledge for 2 holes in the lineup. did they watch any of our games last year??!!
church will hit the bench within 2 months.
love it.

Posted by: dk | March 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

SS Guzman
CF Milledge
3B Zimmerman
1B Johnson
RF Kearns
LF Dukes
C LoDuca
2B Belliard
P Perez

Posted by: Cherokee Parks | March 25, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

WMP is out until at least mid-April but it could be more like the end of April.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 25, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to that dk. On the day of the Milledge trade I got a call from my buddy who is a mets fan living in the DC area. We've gone to at least 10 games a year together since the Nats made their move to DC so he knows both teams pretty well. Lets just say that the last time i had heard him sound that upset, Beltran had just struck out looking on a nasty curve in the 9th of game seven.

Posted by: VT Nats Fan | March 25, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

first time i have left felipe lopez off the lineup. time to admit that hopes don't make it true and you all were right:

Belliard 2b
Milledge cf
Zimmerman 3b
NJohnson 1b
AKearns rf
Dukes lf
Lo Duca c
Guzman ss
Perez p

This offense has actual potential. if Milledge and Dukes can be productive that will be a long lineup of tough outs.

Posted by: longterm | March 25, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Guzman SS
Milledge CF
Zimmerman 3B
Johnson 1B
Kearns RF
Belliard 2B
Dukes LF
Lo Duca C
Perez P

Posted by: Lou | March 25, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Re we pretty much nailed it:

1 Guzman: 100% (of votes)
2 Milledge: 95%
3 Zimmerman: 95%
4 Johnson: 85%
5 Kearns: 85%
6 Dukes: 60%
7a Belliard: 55% (Lo Duca 35%)
7b Lo Duca: 55% (Belliard & Dukes 20%)
9 Perez: 100% (duh)

Posted by: johnbear948 | March 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

am i really the only one not to lead off with guzman?

Posted by: longterm | March 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the problem, longterm, is that Manny said Guzman would lead off and Milledge would bat second. Given their spring performance, I would swap them or move Guzzie south a bit more.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 25, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes you are!
Sorry, I did not include your post in my survey calculations so close to the deadline set by the master.
I guess that would make guzman leading off about 97%

Posted by: johnbear948 | March 25, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The Mets just put Ruben Gotay on waivers...what's the possibility Jimmy picks him up?

He's only 25

Posted by: Corey | March 25, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Lopez SS
Harris 2B
Boone 3B
Young 1B
Mackwiak LF
Langerhands CF
Guzman, G RF
Flores C
Hanrahan P

Posted by: Tippy Zoo | March 25, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

1. It was a little disturbing to wake up at 6AM, shower, get dressed and turn the ball game on??? BTW, I like the upgrades to game day. Also, maybe I'm a little xenophobic, but it seems to me to be somewhat sacriligious to have opening day in any place other than the US (specifically DC or Cincy).

2. Is Manny thinking short or long term. I would posit that Zimm is a #3 now, but in a couple of years will be a #4. Do you slot him where he will be most productive in '08 or put him in the slot he is likely to occupy in '10 (unless either WMP or Dukes turns out to be a real fence buster?)?

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 25, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

"Braves fan: welcome. Very little flaming here, but we do do haiku."

Posted by: #1 Lurker | March 25, 2008 11:20 AM

--------

C'mon, #1L, don't scare the Braves fans with hints of haiku -- they'll run off and hide inside the Cyclorama, or maybe Coca-Cola World. This is Georgia, remember; they'll think "haiku" is something you'd order in one of Buckhead's fancier dining establishments.

Seriously, B-F, welcome. As someone who grew up cheering for the Atlanta Braves (but who got over it in 2005) a little good-natured backing and forthing over the Internet should be fun for all. Especially since you'll lose.

As for the lineup card, I'd fill mine out pretty much the same as Vienna did at 10:28am today; except instead of Kearns batting fifth and Belliard sixth, I'd put them vice versa.

Posted by: Section 222 (He's Back) | March 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

"And why does Acta want to make two starters go on short rest until Hill returns? What's wrong with calling Lannan up until Hill returns?"

Going with only four starters until Hill comes off the DL frees up a roster spot that they can use for an extra position player or an extra reliever, instead of it being occupied by a pitcher who'd only appear in two games during that time. Since someone is going to have to be sent down to make room for Hill on 4/13 (or Lannan, if Hill's not ready by then), in essence they are gaining a couple of weeks of spring training time to take a look at those players on the bubble before having to decide which one doesn't make the team. The tradeoff is possible extra wear and tear on the two pitchers who will pitch on short rest, and I guess they figure the extra time to look at marginal players (and whatever extra offense/relief they will offer during that time) is worth the risk.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 25, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I know Little League teams in Calvert County that fill out better, more dangerous line ups than the ones the Nats will put together.

Also, the O's will have a very fearful, powerful line up come Opening Day.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Braves-Nation.com | March 25, 2008 10:39 AM

*******************************************

Posted by: Section 222 (He's Back) | March 25, 2008 01:15 PM

You better watch out or some on here will get on your case for shouting out "Home of the Braves" during the National Anthem at Braves home games.

We all know how Nats fans here treat fans of opposing teams, something I'm sure O's Exec knows a thing or 2 about.

Posted by: Freedom Lover | March 25, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Curly W mowed into Center field this a.m.! We're getting closer to dreams meeting reality.

Posted by: HD Nats Fan | March 25, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I know we're not supposed to feed the trolls, but I like the cut of O's Exec's jib.

Sarcasm is always appreciated here at NJ.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks johnbear948 for the stats! I would guess the numbers on 6-7-8 Dukes-Belliard-LoDuca in any order (i.e. a box trifecta, for those horse/dog racing folks out there) are close to 90%?

Posted by: TheBorg | March 25, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

BTW, It's not actually mowed into the grass. WaPo did a feature on this, last year (I think). They actually bend the grass, using a pattern. Apparently, this can only be done a limited number of times a year, as it will, somehow permanently damage the grass.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 25, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

New Post (with very exciting news)!

Posted by: OldGuy | March 25, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cristian Guzman -- 6
Lastings Milledge -- 8
Ryan Zimmerman -- 5
Nick Johnson -- 3
Austin Kearns -- 9
Paul Lo Duca -- 2
Ronnie Belliard -- 4
Rob Mackowiak -- 7
Odalis Perez -- 1

Posted by: Brant Alyea | March 25, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

"Also, the O's will have a very fearful, powerful line up come Opening Day.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 01:17 PM"

Well, that statement is about half right, especially when they face Bedard.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 25, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

#1 Lurker said "do do".

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Too much information John, but my what good eyesight you have. I didn't know he was cut.

******
Sarcasm is always appreciated here at NJ.
Posted by: John in Mpls | March 25, 2008 01:26 PM

Posted by: MIB brissen | March 25, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I don't even have to respond, most days. He just writes 'em for me.

*******
Also, the O's will have a very fearful ... line up come Opening Day.
Posted by: O's Exec | March 25, 2008 01:17 PM

Posted by: CE | March 25, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and Braves fan, feel free to pile on with O's jokes anytime.

Posted by: CE | March 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Now, don't get bitter, FL.
Anyhow, it's that obnoxious chop thing that'll get me started sooner, anyhow.

*********

Posted by: Freedom Lover | March 25, 2008 01:22 PM

Posted by: CE | March 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, Im late, but I want to get at this:

Guzman ss (to start the year, atleast)
Milledge cf

RF Kearns (R)
LF Dukes (R)
C LoDuca (R)
2B Belliard (R)
P Perez (L)

Posted by: Cindy Lou | March 25, 2008 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Looks like 99% got it right! GO NATIONALS!!

Posted by: Gaithersburg Pete | March 25, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html This is the link to 09 Free agents not to many leadoff hitters avalible except for Rafael Furcal and David Extein. Maybe they'd bring back Orlando Cabrera.

Posted by: DJ 26 | March 26, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Barry, who is staying in Viera for the WaPo to do daily reports on Shawn Hill's health? I need to know.

Posted by: Randy St Claire | March 26, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse