Kasten practices what he preaches

Stan Kasten is inviting the news media (that's me!) to ride the Metro with him from Gallery Place/Chinatown to the Navy Yard station. I cannot think of a more pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

However, I will be in Florida, so I'll have to pass.

Here, however, is the official explanation for this trip:

WHY: The Washington Nationals and WMATA demonstrate the convenience and ease of use of the Metrorail system in getting to Nationals Park. The route traveled will mimic one of the many available to fans that will arrive at the new ballpark via Metro this season. Guests of National Park who don't have reserved parking spaces are encouraged to take Metro to the ballpark. In addition, there will be FREE parking at RFK Stadium for those who take the FREE Nats Express to the Park. There will also be a bike valet available for cyclists.

So, if I may add -- Go Metro Go Metro Go Metro Go Metro. (Easy for me to say, as I'll be walking to the park.)

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 18, 2008; 12:49 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lineups vs. Tigers
Next: Lastings Impression

Comments

Bravo Stan! However, they're marketing as showing the "convenience & ease" of getting to the park.

It is convenient and easy for Stan and his group in the middle of the afternoon when not having to transfer lines or battle with 25,000 people to get through the gates and on the platform. Don't know about yall, but I'm dreading the trip from Navy Yard to L'Enfant to Dunn Loring - it'll be like running of the bulls.

How's that walk from S. Cap to the ballpark coming? Hopefully they've posted up a few brigades and flood lights down there.

Posted by: Corey | March 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corey | March 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corey | March 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Just add us and Stan should know what it will be like right after a game

Posted by: 17,996 more people | March 18, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

The part that Barry left out is the part where they've schedule an hour for the trip.

So maybe they are simulating game-like experiences!

Posted by: Chris | March 18, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: .390 | March 18, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

The Plan is right, Metro is by far the most convenient way to get to and from the new park for all of us that live near the Gallery Place/Chinatown stop.

Posted by: PowerBoater | March 18, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

anyone else notice that the espn crew put redding as our opening day starter? interesting...

Posted by: natsinthevalley | March 18, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

To make it more realistic, Stan should try riding with small children on the Metro, esp. kids who would love to run around on the train. Then he should see what its like to take the kids home via Metro at 10 PM.

Then as an alternative, tell him to try it with fans in their 70's who really shouldn't be jammed into a crowded Metrorail car at any hour.

Posted by: Sec 314 | March 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

or riding from shady grove, glenmont, or vienna. not a 6 minute ride from a station that is literally just two miles away.

Posted by: theraph | March 18, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Take Metro! Drink the Kool Aid!

Posted by: SF Fan | March 18, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

No matter how cramped it may get taking Metro, trying to park in the neighborhood will result in missing most of the game or getting towed. I live one block and every street in the neighborhood just got new parking signs, restricting parking to local residents 7 a.m. to midnight, 7 days a week. And no, you can't park in my driveway.

Posted by: Southwester | March 18, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

All this is pretty ironic, considering I just received my parking package from the Nats today.

Posted by: Diz | March 18, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

There's the snark I've been missing all ST, Barry!

And you commenters aren't doing so bad either.

Keep it coming, ya'll.
________________

"I cannot think of a more pleasant way to spend an afternoon.'

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes, please take a trip down to the metro stop to see what $20 million and 1.5 years of work will get you. Notice the extra 6-foot-wide staircase. Everything else is THE SAME AS BEFORE.

If you take the metro from the Navy Yard in the morning as I do, you'll see that the east exit can barely accommodate the Navy Yard/DOT/etc employee traffic. Good luck with 15,000 fans...

Posted by: Living at the Navy Yard | March 18, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

while i don't have a problem with redding as the opening night starter. i would prefer a "homegrown" guy like bergmann get the ball.

Posted by: natsscribe | March 18, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

"There will also be a bike valet available for cyclists."

NB for those of you who don't come into the city much: the bike valets here traditionally do not wear ski masks.

Posted by: MIB | March 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Was there some kind of discounted Metro pass made available to plan holders?

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 18, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Many times I have ridden the Subway to/from Yankee Stadium, and even with a crowded stadium letting out after a close game it has never taken more than 15 minutes to get underway. At RFK I never had to wait more than 10 minutes.

The Yankee Stadium stop is not very big, but probably slightly bigger than the Navy Yard stop. The secret seems to be to keep the trains coming quickly after the game.

I once drove from NJ to the Bronx for a Saturday game. Once. Never again. It took me two hours to get out of the Bronx. Nothing in DC could be that bad.

The hard part on the Metro will be the transfer at L'Enfant or Gallery Place. If those trains are not running frequently then the backup there will be the most frustrating part.

I will start with the Metro from Alexandria, but must admit that the park & ride from RFK sounds good. I want to wait and see how easy it is for the shuttle bus to get to the new park before trying that option.

Posted by: TRF | March 18, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 18, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hey did Stan or any of the geniuses at METRO factor in what is will be like on a night in April and May when the Wizards and/or (God-willing) the Capitals are playing a playoff game at Verizon Center at the same time as a Nats game? Transfer stations L'Enfant Plaza, Metro Center and Gallery Place/Chinatown will look like 4th of July on Metro after the fireworks. Might as well book a hotel room downtown.

Posted by: East Falls Church Metro | March 18, 2008 2:19 PM | Report abuse

"Was there some kind of discounted Metro pass made available to plan holders?"

No, I don't think so. You may be thinking of the special Nats-themed SmarTrip cards that apparently will be available. But those will cost the same $5 as regular SmarTrip cards, and they won't provide any discount on the fares either AFAIK.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 18, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Trumped again, 506. New Post.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

"I want to drive to the stadium, and I don't want to have to walk at all, and I want it all now!"

Then get into your car and drive down there now. Abandon your car as close to the stadium as you can get, become a street person, and using that as your base just go right on in to any games you have tickets for. Might be a good idea to buy and print your tickets before you head down there, though, because the "print at home" option probably is a non-starter if your home is a steam grate. But on the bright side, you'll probably be first in line for one of the prime steam grate locations, and not only that, winter appears to be just about over.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 18, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Thr rfk parking with shuttle seems like a no brainer for those from VA and points west.

Posted by: .390 | March 18, 2008 01:08 PM"
-----------

It's a no-brainer IF the shuttle manages to stop as close to the RFK Metro station as possible.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the shuttle will pick-up/drop-off in lot 8, is this wrong, have any details been released?

Posted by: PB | March 18, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I take the yellow in from Crystal City almost every day, and, when the weather is not walkable, make a transfer to the Blue/Orange. Regulars know where the doors open on the yellow/green trains. 1st a car and last car are not very crowded. if you are coming in on the blue /orange, middle cars let you up the stairs to the green pretty quickly.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm imagining that the average reader of this journal is a 300 pound, unemployed whiner judging by the belly-aching and self-absorbed complaining about how to get to the game. Your kids like to run around on a train? Try being an effective parent and tell them not to. Think 70 year olds cannot take the train at any hour, then pay to park somewhere or don't bring them if they're that frail. Don't like crowds, don't come to public sporting events. Think the Nats should have a game day experience, including travel, tailored exclusively to your whims, write a big enough check and I bet they'll send a car for you. Seriously, get over yourselves and shut up.

Posted by: Sosilla | March 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Personally, I think the dry run to the stadium is rather senseless. It is being done without the volumn of people who will be attending the game. No matter what opinion we hear of the ride, those who need to take Metro will do so, no matter what.

Posted by: Gaithersburg Pete | March 18, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Folks -- Fenway and Yankee Stadium sell out every night -- as does Wrigley -- with almost no parking near the park. It's going to be ok. I have a little guy (6) and he'll be fine on the Metro.

I took my other little guys to a sold out game in Boston a few years ago.

It's going to be ok. In fact, it's going to be a great time!

Posted by: natswriter | March 18, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for the season to start. I know that the back up on the Metro is going to be a nightmare. I hope to find a bus route that will ease my pain like I did at RFK.

The bike valet is a great idea. This was the first I heard of it though. They should promote it more. The DC crowd would surely ride their bikes to the game more often if they knew about the service.

Posted by: Jmalo | March 19, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

How about a dry run late at night or on a weekend when you have to change lines and wait 15 minutes for a train. We will see who wants to take Metro after that.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 19, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Ok so I need to load my 1 yr old baby into the car in Arlington. Drive to Ballston, find parking, unpack the kid [and my wife]carry the diaper bag, wait for a train, get on the train andpray i can find a seat for my wife and daughter. pick up everything again, get off the train at l'enfant plaza, fight the crowd while carrying a diaper bag and pushing a stroller and get bumped around and fight to get on ANOTHER train to the stadium. get off the train, walk several blocks to the stadium, probably have to change a diaper by this time and feed the child. find our seats sit back and rub out the bruises and not act flustered as it will upset the kid and now enjoy the game. in a couple hours get up and do it all over again.

who's the frickin genius that thought of putting the stadium where they did with zero parking?

Gotta tell ya, I love the Nats and I want to take my daughter to a bunch of games, but facing that scenario I don't see it happening. and halfway through the season when the crowds are small and the owners are complaining about the fans not supporting the team they of course won't see the number one reason as being their own dang fault.

All they had to do was build multi-level underground/above ground garages or better yet they should have razed RFK and rebuilt on site. All the complaints about RFK not one was ever about parking or traffic.

Oh and for the universally understood to be great idea of driving to RFK and taking the free shuttle. Will have to wait in the multitude of lines with an infant fight for a spot and get bumped around on the shuttle and then get dropped off NOT at the stadium BUT FIVE blocks away!
Uh?? why not pull the buses right up to the stadium, but no they have to make that a pain in the butt as well.

Posted by: Arlington | March 20, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse