Lastings Impression

Thought I'd get that headline out of the way now.

My goodness did Lastings Milledge just crush a 1-1 pitch from Jeremy Bonderman. This is a guy who hitters describe as very uncomfortable to step in against. Milledge just launched a ball over the grassy area in left here at Joker Marchant Stadium. Longest homer by a Nat this spring, I'd say.

Tim Redding has been pretty good. Justin Maxwell helped him out -- kind of -- with a bizarre throw from left to double up Curtis Granderson at the plate in the first. The ball must have slipped out of Maxwell's hand, because it shot skyward, very much like a Mark McGwire pop fly. But Wil Nieves leaped to snare it and tagged out Granderson.

Bottom of the third, Nats lead 1-0.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 18, 2008; 1:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kasten practices what he preaches
Next: Bombs away: Maxwell, Belliard

Comments

blastings thrilledge.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | March 18, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Woo Hoo! Our boys are getting a piece of the TIGERS! Go Redding! Go Nats!

(this is a great i-should-be-focusing-on-my-homework-but-need-a-distraction post, Barry).

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

It's ok NatsNut, I should be teaching my students and helping them with their project, but I'm definitely here, waiting for the next post...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | March 18, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Nick the Stick just doubled in Guzman (C.) to make it 2-0 Nats!

Posted by: Brewer | March 18, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Man, I can't believe you're burning that headline already.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 18, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

OK, so we have two superstars.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 18, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Make that three.

Three-run homer, Justin Maxwell

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 18, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

JMAX!!!

Posted by: natsinthevalley | March 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Three superstars. Maxwell just went yard for 3 more runs.

('Going Yard' is my favorite homer expression)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I got to see a bit of the game when I ran home for lunch. Milledge's blast was tremendous and with an effortless swing. Redding showed some gumption as well - Thames hit a 400 ft foul shot on a hanging curve ball, but he struck him out on a fb next pitch and got the next batter to ground into a double play. I'm okay with redding as an Opening Day starter.

Posted by: lowcountry | March 18, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

with WMP out for awhile, who stays on as the starting LFer? Who stays as the 4th OFer?

Dukes? Escobar? Maxwell? Langerhans? Mackowiak? Harris?

I'd vote for keeping Dukes and Maxwell up here.

Posted by: e | March 18, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

('Going Yard' is my favorite homer expression)

Will that become "going Navy Yard" in a few days?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

BELLY!!!!!!

Posted by: e | March 18, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

and now it's Belliard's turn! I'm ticked off I can't watch it on ESPN since I'm working, but their Gamecast is a nice alternative...

Posted by: BSG | March 18, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

My favorite Homer expression is "D'oh!"

Couldn't resist.

Seriously, did Belliard go Belly-Yard? I'm not watching the game.

-----

('Going Yard' is my favorite homer expression)

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 18, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And Meat Hook with a mammoth RBI double!

I smiled real big for that.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Also, needs to be noted that Nick Johnson is 3-3, i think we have our starting first baseman.

Nats lead 8-0

Posted by: natsinthevalley | March 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

"I'd vote for keeping Dukes and Maxwell up here."

Wasn't Maxwell already sent down to Harrisburg a week or two ago? I think he's just been playing as a temporary fill-in recently on the major league team due to split-squad games and players like Dukes briefly being out due to injury.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 18, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I support it.

__________________
Will that become "going Navy Yard" in a few days?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 18, 2008 02:52 PM

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | March 18, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

You are correct, sir.

-----

Wasn't Maxwell already sent down to Harrisburg a week or two ago?

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 18, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

maxwell has options, he won't start off on the OD roster.

Posted by: 231 | March 18, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see Willie Harris make the roster. He can play 7 positions and can run and get on base. He is batting like .200, but his OBP is almost .400.

Posted by: john Sect 129 | March 18, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse