Nationals Park: The view from the press box

I'm sitting in the Shirley Povich Media Center (also known as the pressbox) right now. Wireless works, which is a good thing, and allows me to communicate with you all.

ALERT: Boz is chatting at 3 p.m.

Again, want to make sure you saw the Nationals Park section in the $.50/$.35-edition. If you're coming out this weekend, get it, because it has all the best routes to the park, etc.

Today: Manny Acta will meet with the media -- and given how much local TV blows off this stuff, that'll be important -- at 3:30 p.m. The workout is at 6 p.m. All this is closed to the public, but you might want to check out as much media as you can if you're interested.

Just noticed a "Nats Fans: 10" -- the 10th man, apparently.

Great view of the Capitol Dome from the press box, as well as from several sections in the upper deck.

The garages are covered in different banners -- A Miller Lite banner, a PNC Bank banner, a Geico banner (with the Racing Presidents), a Washington Nationals banner, a "Washington Hall of Stars" banner, and then banners with all the logos of all the American and National League teams. Much better than they had looked.

The HD screen, as we've discussed, is not horrible.

There's a Curly W mowed into center field.

There is lots of work going on here still, and they have lots of cleaning to do between now and the opener -- shoot, between now and tomorrow night, when the Orioles are in town.

Don Sutton just walked into the lower seating bowl. Stan Kasten sitting on the bench in the home dugout.

Also, I realize most of you probably saw this stuff, but here's a story about Paul Lo Duca not getting to catch the Presidential pitch. Sheinin was at the park when the team arrived. I talked to him this morning, and he said they were genuinely psyched and impressed. The notebook dealt with Dukes's legal matters. And Dan LeDuc fired off another A1 story, this one on the Lerner family and the ballpark.

I'll get you something after batting practice.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 28, 2008; 1:53 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stadium Stadium Stadium
Next: Pick your won-loss record

Comments

Not looking good for Teddy - look at the web cam at 9:12 a.m. on today. Teddy is once again far behind. I guess the racing President's needed pre-game work out as well.

Posted by: HD Nats Fan | March 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

FedEx Field has the Shirley Povich press box too.

Posted by: WFY | March 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Shirley Povich,

A versatile columnist who wrote six days a week in addition to being the Post sports editor. Almost everything I learned about baseball and the Senators was because of Povich. We'll never see his likes again.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

my grandmother babysat maury when they were little, way back when wheaton house was on a dirt road and the only thing there was the church on plyers mill.

Posted by: theraph | March 28, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Barry, did they fix the ultra-low table in the press box that no one could get their knees under? How do your new digs compare to the old press box at RFK? Which is your favorite ballpark press box?

Posted by: Kevin | March 28, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

wow, reminiscing about something i have no first hand accounts of. as the annoying co-hosts say, pardon the interruption.

new stadium.

Posted by: theraph | March 28, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I just got a "second chance" e-mail offering the opportunity to purchase tix to opening night. This was after I had registered for the earlier drawing. You better believe I took my second chance. They say it's first-come, first-serve, so if you registered for that drawing, I suggest you check your e-mail now.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 28, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't ever think I'd be saying this, but Barry, you're a little behind the curve. You JUST NOTICED the 10th man banner, wow - it's been discussed quite a bit. I find it moderately cheesy and incredibly cliche, but hey, whatever dressed the place up and makes Stan sleep better.

Posted by: Corey | March 28, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! I guess some of you miss me :-) When I do post about coverage the reaction is...well, let's just say it's mixed. Now I've missed half a day and I think I've gotten at least 3 people searching for me?!? Herewith, my responses (and remember, like I said yesterday, I'm too excited about the new stadium to want to focus on coverage right about now):

Avar: I did think that the special stadium section today was great. Kudos to the Post for it. However, to answer your question, yes, I also consider it kind of a one-off so it doesn't really change my view of the overall coverage. The key for me is the day-to-day, and on that front time will tell. Like you, I think the Post should have two beat writers assigned to cover the team--not even necessarily full-time, but at least the second reporter writing some of the time. And the columnist issue almost goes without saying by now (good grief, how many more columns is Boz going to milk out of the new stadium?). I was encouraged the other day to see Barry with 2 bylined stories in the paper in addition to the Notebook. At least the team had the space in the paper, but that shouldn't be a one-off either.

114: As you can see, still alive and kicking. I thought that the Weekend section piece was hilarious, ridiculous, and bizarre. I think it's great that the Weekend editors want to give people other baseball options than the Nats. But is going to see the O's really the best thing that they could come up with other than UVA? REALLY? Ummmm...here's a thought, how about tipping people off to go see one of the many minor league teams in the area? Go to Frederick, or Bowie, or Hagerstown, or Woodbridge, to name just some options! Plus, it's cheap! That article was just so weird that it's hard to say much more about it.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | March 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

What's the chance someone can get us a play-by-play of Manny's presser?

Posted by: Corey | March 28, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Adam Jones is a good prospect, but neither he nor Milledge are stars yet. Both strike out too much, but Jones really strikes out too much - every 3.1 at bats versus Milledge at 4.4. Jones OPS last year was .673. Milledge .767. I'm not sure how they compare defenisvely, but I'm under the impression that Jones is expected to be better. But right now Milledge is better overall hands down.

Also, I note that I listed like 15 areas in which the Nats were better than the O's and this is the only one even worth arguing about.

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 28, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"506: I know it's been good-natured for the most part, after we got past our initial shouting matches. No need to get in the trenches today. There's a decided difference between someone trolling (who is looking to stir up a reaction), and someone stating a legitimate point-of-view but that others might not want to hear. I think that was the point you were trying to make, and I'm fine with that. When I do post about coverage, I'm not looking to start a debate or fight, I'm just looking to air my point of view."

Much better said than I was able to in my sputtering annoyance after a nightcap. That's precisely what I meant.

Also, on your suggestion about going to Woodbridge (though the place the stadium is located is NOT Woodbridge, but that's a different matter for another time), I second your suggestion. Whoever was asking about taking kids to opening day, can I strongly recommend you let them learn to love baseball with the P-Nats?

Kids are not sitters and baseball is a sitters game. At Pfitzner Stadium they can walk around without any trouble. Food is cheaper, the seats are closer and fewer, the mascots are more accessible, and the game holds a particular excitement for kids because those guys on the field are "kids who might grow up to be famous ballplayers one day." Children love thinking they're the first to see the next superstar and how much cooler when he shows up on the Anacostia in four years. There are fireworks after the game and when attention lags, get up and go home without losing much money or feeling like you've left something super important.

How do I know it's perfect for kids to love baseball? Because it's most of the baseball I experienced growing up.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 28, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Can we be spared the "Birdland" ad banners? Can't the Lerners buy ads promoting the debut of Nationals Park?

Posted by: natsscribe | March 28, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Barry, did they install an oxygen tank in the press box? Or did they just pressurize the whole shebang. What's your sherpa's name?

To be terribly redundant: I. AM. SO. EXCITED.

Baseball is here friends, can anything really be truly wrong?

Posted by: NattyDelite! | March 28, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

On the eve of opening weekend, shouldn't we do a predictions thread?

1. What will the Nats' W-L record be in 2008?

2. Who leads the staff in wins?

3. Who leads the team in HRs?

4. Who is our 2b at the end of the season?

5. Who is our ss at the end of the season?

6. Who is our closer at the end of the season?

8. Does WMP get health and contribute and if so, what is his stat line?

9. What is Blastings' stat line and is it better or worse than Church's?

10. What's the best place to eat at Nationals Park?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

so holy S*** they just did another lottery i guess and i won tickets goin to openin day

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations love! That's awesome!

Posted by: NatsNut | March 28, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

"Also, on your suggestion about going to Woodbridge (though the place the stadium is located is NOT Woodbridge, but that's a different matter for another time),"

Yes it is too Woodbridge. My parents live just down the road from there in Lake Ridge, and their address is Woodbridge VA 22192. Woodbridge High School (my alma mater) is in Lake Ridge, and indeed it is closer to the stadium than the old Woodbridge High School that I attended in the old part of Woodbridge where I grew up. If the place the stadium is in isn't Woodbridge, then what is it? Keep in mind that "Woodbridge" is really just a concept, not a place with boundaries. It's all really just unincorporated Prince William County. I think Manassas may be a city, but if not it's a town. And there are other towns in PWC, like Manassas Park (although they may be a city now too, which is a joke because the last time I was there 35 years ago Manassas Park was a small development of about 50 houses on the wrong side of the RR tracks), Quantico and maybe Dumfries and one or two others. But Woodbridge is just an unincorporated area with no real boundaries. If the stadium - and more importantly the Post Office - says it's in Woodbridge, then it is.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about the rest of you but today is all about batting practice. A true feel for the way the ball will carry. Can't wait to get the reaction from Barry and the Nat's hitters. Quite excited today.

Posted by: Doug B | March 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Love-

Are you sure you didn't win the rights to _buy_ tickets for Opening Day?

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

What ever happened to the big white baseball that was to be in centerfield?

Posted by: kp05 | March 28, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I did not get an e-mail with an opportunity to buy tickets, but oddly, my virus protection program just told me it deleted a message from MASN, and didn't even give me a chance to see it.

I guess my virus program is very discerning.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Boz on that baseball. It would have been hideous, and this stadium seems to be classy.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited like DougB about BP. It will be a good early read on how the park plays. One thing to remember though is that the prevailing winds shift in the summer- from NW to SW, I think. Also the increased humidity will have a huge impact on how the ball carries.

Posted by: #4 | March 28, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Read Boz's chat transcript. Someone asked him about the big baseball concept.

Posted by: NavyYard | March 28, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Also interesting in Boz's chat was that because of the suites, a crowd of 30,000 at Nationals Park brings in the same revenue of 40,000 at RFK. Thanks to the Post tech wizards for the online video of the President's Club. Last I'll see it until the Powerball comes in ...

Posted by: Capitol Hill | March 28, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if there is any kind of momento (promo item) for tomorrow's game. I couldn't get OD but I got tomorrow's and it'd be nice to have something to say I was there.

Posted by: svxcountry | March 28, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"But Woodbridge is just an unincorporated area with no real boundaries. If the stadium - and more importantly the Post Office - says it's in Woodbridge, then it is."

419, I have similar PWC and Lake Ridge credentials. Same ZIP code growing up and my parents are still in that house. Lake Ridge Lifer, et al. Woodbridge High School is named that because it's the new high school to replace the old Woodbridge High School (now Woodbridge Middle). It was a political move, not a geographical one. Neither the high school, nor the stadium are in the Woodbridge Magisterial District (they're in Occoquan and Coles, respectfully).

The Post Office, also, names their districts after the post office, not after the town in the address area. For example, all the houses around Fort Hunt have Alexandria mailing addresses, but they are in Fairfax County, not the City of Alexandria.

Had to hear all this county planning stuff my entire life, sorry.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

half st.

you mean you actually hafta buy tickets to go to the game? is this a new thing they are doing this year?

(thats right, i've got snark)

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

The memento is a ticket stub.......sorry

Posted by: REF: svxcountry | March 28, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm excited as anybody about the activities this weekend, but I'm little worried about a few things that haven't been reported on. Boz mentioned it in his article, but after a heavy rain, the Anacostia stinks something awful. I know what the awful is, but this being a family blog, I'll leave it at that. And two, there are a lot of seagulls and other birds that hang out on the unused piers at the Navy Yard. And they aren't the most pleasant smelling things either. I worry that once 30,000 people start dropping nachos and pretzels on the floor, that the seagulls will move in and make pests of themselves. I hope these things don't diminish an otherwise wonderful baseball experience.

Posted by: NavyYard | March 28, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

This has already been pointed out, but the curly W is not mowed onto the field. It's, um, pushed down into the field.

Great article last season on how they do that.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 28, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

That's alright...I guess I'll bring my camera and make my own.

The memento is a ticket stub.......sorry

Posted by: REF: svxcountry | March 28, 2008 04:57 PM

Posted by: svxcountry | March 28, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Love-

Snark received, head snaps back with the blow.

I thought maybe you misread, and thought they were giving away tickets. Sorry to doubt you.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I just read the transcript from Boz's chat.

Whoever proofreads his writings for typos deserves a huge raise.

Posted by: Kevin | March 28, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

506, you never did say where the stadium is if it's not in Woodbridge. Magisterial districts? Those mean nothing except for when you vote. No one says they're from a particular magisterial district - not in Virginia anyway. I live in Fairfax County now, with a Falls Church mailing address even though more properly I am in the area called Merrifield. But I couldn't even tell you what the name of my magisterial district is - and I vote every time, even in the piddly off-year county elections. So where would you say the stadium is, then?

And I graduated from Woodbridge HS the year before the new one opened, which was right in the middle of the decade when the same builder who built my childhood house just down the street from the old high school built all of Dale City, which at the time was still considered just another neighborhood in Woodbridge, and just about the time that Lake Ridge began to spring up as yet the newest neighborhood in Woodbridge. It's ALL Woodbridge, really, thanks to that whole unincorporated thing.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

"Rest of NJ, welcome to the world of soul-less suburban bedroom communities. Be glad you're not there, unless you're at a P-Nats game of course."

Hahahaha, that says it best. I'll get back to you tomorrow about where the county says the stadium is located. I suspect it's just the "County Complex" or something like that, since (as you know) it's really only in the last five years that much beyond the McCourt building has been there. The stadium is a good 7 miles from the Rt 1 bridge, which is usually considered Woodbridge by mapmakers, though I am not sure it is.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 28, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the P-Nats, I just bought two tix for the July 4 game and subsequent fireworks display. 1c and I hope to have the opportunity to tailgate or otherwise get together interested NJ posters out there. (I've been offline for a couple of weeks and am just catching up with email and so forth, so I don't know whether there's been any recent discussion of the July 4 possibility.)

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

its cool, sorry for the snark, the excitement of getting tickets when it had seemed previously impossible raised my blood pressure a bit

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

but seriously the tickets are 20 dollars when you win this opportunity (doff cap to 1/2 st.) on stub hub same seats are 189, thats not at all cool

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Very glad you're back 1a! You were definitely missed.

I got my 4th of July tickets to the P-Nats game too, so I'll definitely meet you there. It was so cute. The luxury seats (read: actual seats as opposed to bleachers) were a whopping $13 bucks. I'm so excited. I'll probably never sit that close to the action again.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 28, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

aww, thanks, NatsNut.

At one P-Nats game we attended last year we were right behind the plate. I'm not used to being so close to the action. That was also the World Famous San Diego Chicken game. He was a riot and the game was fun, too (our guys won - yay!).

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to miss the stadium cam. The pictures of the team taking batting practice really signal the end of preparations.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm still catching up with NJ entries and comments, but for whimsy in the week of March 9 I enjoyed the haiku skirmishes and "Egbert Sousé's" onomatopoeic take on Boof Bonser.

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

506, please check your gmail. Everyone else, please pardon the interruption.

Posted by: Hendo | March 28, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

What happened in BP tonight?

Posted by: Anonymous | March 28, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

The Pfitz is in Woodbridge...eastern part of the city and a stones throw away from Manassas.

Easily accessible from 95 or 66 (20 min or so) using the Prince William Parkway. The stadium has a Bull Durham charm to it, with sponsor banners running along the outfield wall and an antiquated scoredboard. Very late 80's feel.

But the games themselves are great entertainment - all the seats are close, the players are fan friendly and lots of promotions.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 28, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

There's also a family-friendly seating area at the Pfitz for those of you who might be interested (non-drinking, I think, but I'm not sure of the specifics).

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Again, not sure whether this has been noted already, but check out the stadium cam around 5:47 p.m. for BP pics.

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

From the Noooooooooooooooo Wait Department: that would be 5:47 p.m. today...

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm gonna miss this camera once the games start...
**************

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 28, 2008 10:01 PM

Posted by: Cevans | March 28, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe they could put one up at Camden. I hear they only play 21 games or so a year up there.

Posted by: MIB Box9 Yanks9 Nats3 | March 28, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Song results are in -

Bustin Loose for the first Nats HR of the game
Shout for the 7th inning stretch
Beautiful Day for wins

Posted by: Traveler | March 28, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

i hope they still play that clip from animal house (was it over when the germans bombed pearl harbor) when we are down in the ninth (not that i hope we are down in the ninth) i thought it was really original and made us laugh and inspired at the same time

Posted by: love | March 29, 2008 1:34 AM | Report abuse

i am probably the only person here at 135. oh well

Posted by: love | March 29, 2008 1:35 AM | Report abuse

Love:

Actually, I am here... but I am still adjusting to Eastern Time... and recovering from a nasty cold.

This is actually prime NJ time for me...

Posted by: Wigi | March 29, 2008 1:39 AM | Report abuse

Bob L. Head:

I don't why your poll didn't get more traction. I thought you asked good questions. I'll play.

1. What will the Nats' W-L record be in 2008? 74-88

2. Who leads the staff in wins? Jason Bergman

3. Who leads the team in HRs? Ryan Zimmerman

4. Who is our 2b at the end of the season? Ronnie Belliard

5. Who is our ss at the end of the season? Cristian Guzman

6. Who is our closer at the end of the season? Chad Cordero. I generally don't think there'll be a lot of blockbuster moves. The most likely tradable pieces are Lopez and Rauch. Otherwise JimBo uses this as a year to evaluate the young pitching and OFs, beefing up the infield through close to major league ready draft picks.

7. Does Dukes stay out of trouble and contribute and if so, what is his stat line? (avg, hr, rbi, whatever else you want to throw in). Yes. He'll get about 300 ABs. He'll hit .255 with 15 HRs and 52 RBIs

8. Does WMP get health and contribute and if so, what is his stat line? Yes. He'll get about 400 ABs. He'll hit .242 with 23 HRs and 71 RBIs.

9. What is Blastings' stat line and is it better or worse than Church's? He'll get more ABs and stay healthier. His line will look about the same, maybe slightly better. Lastings will hit .282 with 18 HRs and 84 RBIs. Overall I don't think the team's offense - park adjusted - will be a lot better than last year's. They will have a lot of slow RH hitters who are in the .260, 20 HR, 75 RBI range, but no stand outs, save Nick Johnson.

10. What's the best place to eat at Nationals Park? My seat, so I don't miss any of the action. I go to watch baseball, not to eat. After dropping $2-3 K on tickets, my budget doesn't include $8 beers and $10 sandwiches, anyway. Sorry to be a curmudgeon on this. Overpriced ballpark food is one of my pet peeves.

Looking forward to an outstanding week end: 18 holes of golf this morning, watching my daughter play three softball games; Nats tonight and tomorrow night. It doesn't get much better than that.

Posted by: #4 | March 29, 2008 6:25 AM | Report abuse

Can you imagine any other big-city newspaper ignoring that story for so long? -- The local baseball team doesn't even want to pay for their own team's uniforms?!

Posted by: swanni | March 29, 2008 6:53 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for playing, #4. As it happens I didn't even play my own game because things got a bit hectic yesterday afternoon. Maybe later.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 29, 2008 8:26 AM | Report abuse

OK... I'm expecting to be in the minority here but... is anyone else thinking about not watching tonights game to get the full "surprise" effect tomorrow night on Opening Day in stunning HD??

Posted by: MKevin | March 29, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

MKevin - NO. But I see your point.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | March 29, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

"Glad to see the Post finally write that the Lerners tried to get the city to pay for the team's uniforms, although it was buried in an otherwise laudatory story about the ownership group."

So, swanni, I guess this is going to be the leitmotif for your clueless sniping this season, like Belliard's 12 bats was last year? You're asking the Post to cover something that probably started its life as the punchline to some third-rate attempt at a "The Lerners are so cheap that [fill in the blank]." joke. Has there ever been even one credible source cited for this story? Back in the day, a good journalist needed TWO sources to move on a story, but now it seems that rumor is enough.

The other night I heard David Letterman say that John McCain looks like the guy at the supermarket who is confused by the automatic doors. How long until we get a news story somewhere that purports to say that this actually happened?

Why don't you just 'fess up, swanni, and tell us which failed ownership group you were part of, or which part of the Lerner business empire you were "unjustly" fired from? You obviously have an ax to grind against the Lerners. And boy do you make it look obvious.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 29, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Good morning. New post is up.

Posted by: natsfan1a | March 29, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse