Pena likely out a month

The results from Wily Mo Pena's MRI are back, and they reveal what many in the organization suspected yesterday. It is a Grade 2 strain of the left oblique. A club spokesman -- delivering the report from the medical staff -- said it was a "significant tear of the muscle," and it will "very possibly take four weeks" to recover. For now, he'll have a "very low level of activity" to allow healing to take place.

The problem with this muscle is that it's so central to the swing. Every time he moves, he's going to feel it. It's likely he can even feel a twinge when he breathes.

So it's quite likely that your left fielder on Opening Night will be Elijah Dukes. Keep in mind, though, that Alex Escobar is still in camp and, shockingly, still healthy.

Today's game: Jamey Carroll is leading off for the Indians today, and we just saw someone walking through the concourse here at HSCS wearing a Carroll jersey from the Rockies. Apparently this guy makes fans wherever he goes.

Carroll and his wife, Kim, had twins two weeks ago. They live here in Melbourne, so Carroll likes coming over here as much as possible, likely one of the few Indians who doesn't mind making the trip.

Charlie Slowes did a pregame interview with Jamey that will air on the broadcast on 3WT, for anyone listening to the radio today.

Tribe lineup:
Jamey Carroll -- 4
Jason Michaels -- 7
Ben Francisco -- 8
Kelly Shoppach -- 2
Andy Marte -- 5
Brad Snyder -- 9
Jordan Brown -- 3
Danny Sandoval -- 6
Beau Mills -- DH

Jeremy Sowers -- 1

Tomorrow, when the Dodgers land here, Nook Logan is due to be among the outfielders.

Also: The Nats tried to pass first baseman Josh Whitesell through waivers, and he didn't make it. (He had been on the 40-man, and as you work through your rosters, it's clear they're going to have to make some moves to make room for guys.) Arizona claimed him.

The thinking here: I believe the Nationals think they'll stick Luis Jimenez at Columbus as the first baseman, and they still have Larry Broadway. Chris Marrero will be the first baseman at Class AA Harrisburg -- if not to start the season, then at some point soon thereafter. Talked to a scout about Whitesell earlier this spring, and he said he had some decent pop, but he was a brutal first baseman (despite improvements last year) and he just seemed stiff, not very athletic. For what it's worth.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 14, 2008; 12:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Official Predict the Roster Post
Next: Dukes goes down -- hamstring strain

Comments

Too bad about Pena. It would be interesting to see Dukes play for a couple weeks to see what he can do.

Posted by: 315 | March 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

First the Terps, now Wily Mo. Not a good 24 hours. Wonder if Dukes tears it up, will they keep him in?

Posted by: NatsTerp | March 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the word on Jamey, Barry...

Posted by: nats fan in Annandale | March 14, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I shouldn't have swung so hard.

Posted by: Wily Pipp | March 14, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Jamey Carroll, one of the good guys. Glad to hear he is doing well and growing the family to boot.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | March 14, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Per your request: the coverage is fine.

I mean it. You probably only say it isn't for the attention.

Shame about Pena. Now if Dmitri could only lose a little weight, we could get him in the lineup in LF. (kidding)

Willy Harris or Machoviak could play LF and leadoff.

If Dukes plays for a full month, he may never come out of the lineup. That much talent and opportunity might be difficult to unseat.

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 14, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I know we all love Jamey Carrol and all...

but what about the NATS lineup? can we get that please? I can't say i am really concerned with the Indians b-team lineup.

Posted by: MrMadison | March 14, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

dude, it was on the last post.

------------------------

Yes, I know we all love Jamey Carrol and all...

Posted by: MrMadison | March 14, 2008 01:31 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | March 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

According to Slowes, Whitesell was claimed off waivers by Arizona.

Nats lineup was posted on the last thread.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 14, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Madison - Barry posted the Nats lineup in the last post...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 14, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

was it? my apologies then.

Posted by: MrMadison | March 14, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Cristian Guzman -- 6
Bret Boone -- 4
Elijah Dukes -- 8
Dmitri Young -- 3
Austin Kearns -- 9
Aaron Boone -- DH
Willie Harris -- 5
Humberto Cota -- 2
Garrett Guzman -- 7

Matt Chico -- 1

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 14, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Chico gives up a solo homer to Andy Marte in the second inning.

So here's the thing. I think there's a feeling here at NJ that Chico is, in fact, pitching himself out of the lineup. You may agree or disagree. I'm undecided myself.

But we shouldn't we all agree that Perez hasn't pitched his way into the lineup?

I have to admit I'm guilty of penciling Perez into my roster today. I did it without thinking. Isn't this a little premature?

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 14, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree, John. I need to see Perez against major leaguers first. Then, maybe, he can work his way into the starting rotation.

Posted by: Section 138 | March 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Yea, I think Perez is pretty premature. And I think Manny has given Chico lots of love and leeway, but Chico just might need to go down for a spell and catch his breath. I suspect he pressing.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 14, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Barry - Were the waiver revocable or irrevocable?

Posted by: Brian | March 14, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Dukes draws a walk to load the bases with one out. Young hits into what should have been a double play, but Carroll drops the ball (literally). The ump declares he held the ball long enough for the force out at second. Dukes out, Guzman scores.

More importantly, Dukes comes up limping. Jageler seems to think it's a hammy. It looks like he's coming out of the game, as players are warming up on the warning track.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 14, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

It is confirmed: Dukes has left the game with "an apparent left leg injury" as he slid hard into second to avoid the double play.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 14, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Garrett Guzman's chances of staying on the team improve with this bad Dukes news. Hopefully it was nothing, but the Nats often seem to be made of glass. I have no opinion on whether the trainers have anything to do with it, since it is not my expertise. Obviously, too, there isn't much a trainer can do while a person is taking a swing, or while he is sliding into a base.

The loss of Whitesell is a little bit of a surprise, and a big boost to Larry Broadway. Someone please remind me what Arizona needs to do to keep him. I imagine they need to put him on their 40-man roster, right?

Remember that Jimbo likes to take other kids when they are going through waivers, too. We could end up with additional surprises.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 14, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

So here I am again to say the coverage is lacking. But this time it's 3WT I'm complaining about, not the Post. Split squad games today, but clearly they're not being treated as the "A" game and the "B" game, because Bergmann's pitching the game tonight. So if 3WT only chooses to broadcast one of the two games today, why do they choose the afternoon game when presumably they'd have more listeners if they broadcasted the night game?

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 14, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

If a team claims a player off waivers and has the viable claim as described above, his current team (the "waiving team") may choose one of the following options:

arrange a trade with the claiming team for that player within two business days of the claim; or
rescind the request and keep the player on its major league roster, effectively canceling the waiver; or
do nothing and allow the claiming team to (1) assume the player's existing contract, (2) pay the waiving team a waiver fee, and (3) place the player on its active major league roster.
If a player is claimed and the waiving team exercises its rescission option, the waiving team may not use the option again for that player in that season. If no team claims a player from waivers in three business days, the player has cleared waivers and may be assigned to a minor league team, traded, or released outright.

Posted by: Wikipedia | March 14, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"I put Lannan in over Chico. He has outperformed him, in my estimation, but he also has options and plenty of time."

Lannan and Chico presumably both have options left, while Perez presumably doesn't. So in a situatiom like this where they're only just now getting a look at Perez two weeks before the season starts, it would make sense for them to send Chico and Lannan down until they get a good feel for what Perez can do - which will take them past Opening Day for sure. If they dump Perez now, he's gone before they ever get to figure out if he was worth having in the first place. If Perez tanks, they can always bring Chico or Lannan up to replace him.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 14, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

But there are also irrevocable waivers which precludes any of the Wiki information

Posted by: Brian | March 14, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Well, there you go. Charlie just mentioned the Nationals Journal during the game. Thanks for reading Charlie. We enjoy listening to you and Dave.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 14, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

...it's 3WT I'm complaining about...Bergmann's pitching the game tonight. ...why do they choose the afternoon game when presumably they'd have more listeners if they broadcasted the night game?

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 14, 2008 02:04 PM

Because they broadcast the Caps games and those are regular season games?

That would explain most (though, I believe, not all) of the reasons for the games on vs. not on the radio.

Posted by: OldGuy | March 14, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

"Because they broadcast the Caps games and those are regular season games?"

Okay, makes sense. So what will they do if a Nationals regular season game occurs at the same time as a Caps regular season or possibly even playoff game? Anyone know?

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 14, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Any confirmation about Perez? Can the Nats send him to AAA? I posted my 25, on the assumtion that they can send him down. If not, they just might give him a look, while Lannan gets a couple of AAA starts....

Posted by: Fisch Fry | March 14, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

>>>So what will they do if a Nationals regular season game occurs at the same time as a Caps regular season or possibly even playoff game? Anyone know?

I thought I read (or heard?) somewhere that the Nats will get priority over the Caps coverage.

Posted by: NoMan | March 14, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Really too bad about Wily Mo, but I am looking forward to seeing what Dukes can do. I believe he will be OK. I still think we will have a good season....I'm very optimistic.

Posted by: Gaithersubrg Pete | March 14, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

One quick note about Josh Whitesell. I found it interesting that a scout said he was poor defensively. However, Whitesell was named the Eastern League best 1Bman by Baseball America. I find the contradiction interesting.

Posted by: grf15 | March 15, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse