Redding: "I'm going to be ready"

Tim Redding is really hoping this is just a temporary problem. "Hopefully this doesn't shelve me too long," he said. He wants to throw his bullpen session Tuesday and then pitch in a minor league game Friday (his scheduled throw day, and off day for the Nats). Here's his breakdown of what happened.

"Warming up in the fourth, during the warmup pitches just kind of felt like a tightness in my mid-back area. I really didn't think anything of it. It wasn't sharp. It wasn't that nagging. It was just, I could feel it. Was throwing the ball well, so I just thought maybe it was something I could keep going through, and it wasn't going to fire up. Unfortunately, with every couple pitches, it just kept getting worse and worse.

"It prevented me from continuing to locate my pitches. Everything was down, because I couldn't extend and I was cutting everything off."

Any idea how long?: "As of right now, we did some ice and stim. There's a noticeable bulge, I guess. It just feels like it's a knot, nothing major, day-to-day. It could go away tomorrow. It could be there a day or two and then go away. It's a muscle spasm. I'm staying hydrated, so it's not from dehdration. It's just something that came up."

Thought it might have happened when he bunted the previous inning, a play that was fumbled by Florida pitcher Rick VandenHurk. "That could have been a situation where it could have aggravated it," Redding said. He had to run to second because VandenHurk bobbled the ball, and then threw it past first.

Bad on the pitch before you came out?: "It grabbed hard there. But like I said, it was just something where with throwing the ball the way I've been, the last couple outings, it was a situation where I wanted to at least try to get through the inning and give the guy time to warm up and get out there. ... You don't ever want to leave a teammate or anybody out to dry."

"It was a situation where it was just real sharp."

"As of right now I'm going to be ready to make my next start on Friday in the minor league game. But again, we're going to treat this and try and go from there. I'm sure there will try to be a massage or rub to try and make it up. Tuesday would be my bullpen, and we'll see."

Catcher Paul Lo Duca said he noticed Redding fidgeting around on the mound, and his balls were cutting strangely and he was cutting everything off. He was planning on going out to the mound to talk to him, but Redding came up lame before he had the chance.

So we have another situation to monitor over the last week.

Other stuff: Nats lose, 4-2. Ray King laid down a sacrifice bunt. Cordero needed 11 pitches in his 1-2-3 inning. Elijah Dukes played all nine innings, and said he can still slightly feel his tight right hamstring, but he should be ready to go again tomorrow. Lo Duca caught six innings.

That's it for now. Good to be back. Talk to you Monday morning.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 23, 2008; 3:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redding: Back spasms
Next: Early-morning bits n' pieces

Comments

Lannan is clearly the 6th pitcher if either Hill or Redding misses time, but who is the 7th pitcher now if both miss time? Hanrahan has been conditioning as a reliever and should probably stay in that role since it appears to be working for him. O'Connor is a decent choice if it is just one or two games. But if it is to be longer I would guess that Clippard might get the call. But the best option could be a trade (for perhaps a disgruntled infielder).

Good to hear we can keep Garrett Guzman. I wonder if Levalle Speigner might be named later?

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 23, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

#4 - I also read the article about baserunning and Acta's view with great interest. I liked Robinson as our manager, but how much he sacrificed drove me crazy!

Any word on who we traded to get Guzman? I saw the infamous PTBNL on a few other posts, but wasn't sure if that was confirmed. I didn't see anything on mlbtraderumors.com

Can't wait for opening night!

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | March 23, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update on the trade horizon. I am happy to know when nothing is happening as well as when new rumors come around. I can't imagine that the Nats will give up much for Garrett Guzman, given that Baseball America ranked Matt Whitney as our 21st ranked prospect when we had him, but Guzman was not on the radar. Still he did have a better spring than Whitney.

It would be funny if we gave the Twins Speigner.

We still face losing either Mackowiak or Harris if there is not a trade. Nieves drops when Estrada returns, and Flores, Orr, Langerhans (if not claimed), Schroeder and Lannan get sent down. When Hill returns, though, we have a problem. When WMP, another. I guess almost everyone else has tight rosters now, and most teams are still better than the Nats.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 23, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

The only thing Redding should be ready for is to lose 15+ games this year.

Now my O's rotation will have at least 4 starters that reach the 15 win total.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 23, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

@O's Exec

Didn't you mean win 15 games AMONG them?

Posted by: natsscribe | March 23, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if JP signed a minor league deal with anyone yet.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 23, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

natsscribe: Just ignore O's Exec. He posts (under the name Poopy McPoop...go figure) on the post articles spouting the same delusional crap. He speaks of:

Four Cy Young candidates
A "stud" ourfield
Three or four AL MVP candidates.

He's enjoyable, but a troll that should not be fed (as in fed into...)

Posted by: TimDz | March 23, 2008 8:13 PM | Report abuse

outfield...I should really start using the preview option...

Posted by: TimDz | March 23, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

I meant they would reach 15 wins each, career.
---
@O's Exec
Didn't you mean win 15 games AMONG them?
Posted by: natsscribe | March 23, 2008 06:17 PM

Posted by: O's Exec | March 23, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Tim Dz, you mean to say someone actually READS the posts on the articles? Holy crap. I've looked at some from time to time, and I gotta tellya, I've seen more intelligent commentary on the backs of Metro bus seats.

Posted by: MIB | March 23, 2008 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Any word on keeping 1B Matt Whitney from the Indians? Also the indians are in a tough situation with one of their top prospects Andy Marte, a bad 3b, but good outfielder. With WMP hurt any chance that the Nats will try to get younger and sign Marte?

Posted by: NatsFan | March 23, 2008 8:46 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I must have mis-heard Charlie and Dave yesterday. That was Javy Lopez, NOT Bret Boone, who retired rather than go to AAA.

My bad.

Posted by: CE | March 23, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

to 6th & d -- regarding patterson, the astros have expressed interest, but as of this morning, he was still unsigned.

Posted by: blueson | March 23, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Whitney was returned to the Indians...a trade could not be worked out.

Marte has had a great spring and I'd bet the Indians do all they can to keep him with Blake as the 3B starter. I don't envivsion Marte ever being an OF in the big leagues.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 23, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

natsfan, they already sent whitney back to the indians.

Posted by: 231 | March 23, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Nieves was sent down, that makes Flores and Lo Duca the catchers

Posted by: Anonymous | March 23, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

"Nieves was sent down, that makes Flores and Lo Duca the catchers."

Three things could be at work here:

1. They don't feel LoDuca is ready to catch everyday.

2. They don't want to bring Nieves onto the 40 man because they want to keep flexibility for a trade.

2a. Same as #2, but also Estrada is so close to returning, they don't want to bother putting Nieves on the 40 man.

3.They changed their minds about Flores needing the 500 minor league ABs this year.

4.They think he's better than LoDuca and Estrada.

I sure hope it's not #3 or #4. I'm guessing it's some combination of #'s 1 and 2.

Posted by: #4 | March 23, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Oops. I guess that's five things. Math was never my best subject.

Posted by: #4 | March 23, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

6. They will sign Robert Fick for a couple of weeks to fill in while Estrada is mending. (My personal favorite as I still like Fick and besides what could it hurt as a stop gap.)

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 23, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

i'd be shocked if it wasn't 2a.

Posted by: 231 | March 23, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Yikes, NatBisquit. I love Fick too, but Matt LeCroy type catching is something we should all see only once in a lifetime.

Posted by: #4 | March 23, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Chris at CP is forwarding info that Texas is ready to sign Patterson to a minor league contract. http://dcbb.blogspot.com/

Posted by: CEvans | March 23, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the Rockies are going to cut Marcus Giles today. Forget about trading FLop now. A cheaper option is on the table.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 24, 2008 5:04 AM | Report abuse

giles was even worse than flopez last year (and five years of going downhill every year, not just two), and only plays 2B, not both. so yes, cheaper, but also a worse player, less possibility of upside, and only plays one position.

Posted by: 231 | March 24, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I can't imagine we can get anything for Flop.

Nice article in today's post re AAA rotation. I like our pitching options this year and for the next several years to come. This is quickly becoming the strength of our system.

Not sure I understand keeping Guzman. Guess it all depends on who we have to give up for him.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | March 24, 2008 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Someone mentioned this earlier, but here's an article on mlb.com about Patterson signing a minor league deal with the Rangers.

Good luck, JPatt.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 24, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why jp wouldn't want to sign a minor league deal with us. Let's say he gets better. Let's say he get's his velocity back up to 90mph or better. Does he not have a better chance to get back into our rotation than with Texas? His agent is either an idiot or Washington told him that we don't want JP under any circumstances.

Posted by: 6th and D | March 24, 2008 8:51 AM | Report abuse

i think he's from texas. nothing wrong with going home.

Posted by: longterm | March 24, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

6th and D-

Patterson is from Texas, and he probably wants to try to stay closer to home and family.

Alternatively, I think the Nats just really do not want him, whether it be in Washington, AAA, or AA. They've watched him rehab up close for two years now, and are likely convinced that they no longer want any part of what he is peddling.

Posted by: Steve | March 24, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

and have you seen texas' pitching staff? their "ace" is kevin millwood, he of the 5.16 ERA last year. #2? padilla, 5.76. #3? jennings, 6.45 (altho i think he's better than that). after that a couple of rookies. it's not like he has any less chance of catching on there.

i'm sure he's happy for a change of scenery, as well.

Posted by: 231 | March 24, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

that, and we haven't seen what the Still-Own-The-Name-"Senators"-Rangers offered him. Probably the same low-risk six-figures minor league deal he'd get most places, but ya never know, with that bunch.

Posted by: CE | March 24, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse