Roster to be set today

Keep in mind the 1 p.m. chat, right when this tilt against the Braves gets going.

Jim Bowden, Manny Acta and pitching coach Randy St. Claire stayed behind in Viera until late this morning going over the final ideas about the roster. The announcements will be made after the game, but Bowden just said that they decided -- because they need to build depth -- not to release anyone. At least in part because of that "two pitchers that deserve to be here won't be here," Bowden said.

That would almost certainly mean Chris Schroder and John Lannan. Think about it: They can't send Jesus Colome to the minors without risking losing him. They can't do that with Joel Hanrahan, either -- nor would they want to, given how he's pitched. And Lannan's "demotion" to Class AAA Columbus will come after he posted a 2.45 ERA in Grapefruit League games. (Lannan, too, would get the first call if Shawn Hill isn't ready to go April 13 -- or ever.)

Other stuff: The club will get its first look at Nationals Park tomorrow night around 9. They'll drive there directly from Dulles. They'll bring seven or eight extra players north just to fill in on Saturday night, then send those guys on to Columbus.

Lineups for this afternoon's game at Disney:

Washington:

Chipper Jones -- 5
Mark Teixeira -- 3
Brian McCann -- 2
Matt Diaz -- 7
Mark Kotsay -- 8
Jeff Bennett -- 1

Join me for the chat. We're getting close.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 26, 2008; 12:36 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2008 Post Baseball Preview
Next: Lannan, Langerhans out; Estrada on DL; roster at 25

Comments

that looks like our lineup with LoDuca behind Kearns. Mackowiak and Willis subbed with Dukes and Belliard...

Washington:
Cristian Guzman -- 6
Lastings Milledge -- 8
Ryan Zimmerman -- 5
Nick Johnson -- 3
Austin Kearns -- 9
Paul Lo Duca -- 2
Rob Mackowiak -- 7 (Dukes OD)
Willie Harris -- 4 (Belliard OD)
Matt Chico -- 1

Posted by: longterm | March 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats! First.

Posted by: Opening Night 235 | March 26, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

am i the only one who finds it amusing when people try so hard to be "first," only to be relegated to 2nd or later?

Posted by: 231 | March 26, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Barry - How does the math work with not releasing anyone? Assuming Lannan & Schroder are optioned out, that leaves Harris, Mackowiak and Langerhans for two remaining 25-man spots. Is there a DL move in there?

Posted by: Brian | March 26, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

as one of the only people who loved rfk (and larger parks in general), i got a small grin out of boswell's article today.

Posted by: theraph | March 26, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

GRRRRR... Gameday is still down for maintenance. Anyone have a different site that covers spring games?

Posted by: MKevin | March 26, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

mkevin,

i have gameday audio. if you want to listen to it you can email me at my fake email address:

penniesareworthless
gmail

Posted by: Anonymous | March 26, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Traveler | March 26, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Um ... does Felipe Lopez need the rest?

Posted by: Capitol Hill | March 26, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the offer... streaming audio won't work here though. Darn firewalls!

Posted by: MKevin | March 26, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Going back to the last post, I'm glad that I was able to get a smile out of some of you. Enough talk about coverage for now (and no my critique has nothing to do with 2 pages on the Os)--I'm simply too excited about Opening Day and the new ballpark. I think it will be really exciting to see Milledge-Zimm-Nick (and hopefully Wily Mo before too long) hitting in the heart of the order this year. Now as for the starting rotation, that's another story. Go Nats!

Posted by: Coverage is Lacking | March 26, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I think this is the 3rd or 4th Nats game I've watched on TV this spring, and every time Willie Harris does something to annoy the heck out of me. Usually, it's either getting caught stealing or picked off of first. Today, he boots a grounder that would have ended the 2nd inning. I'd be fine if they dump Harris and keep Pete Orr.

Posted by: e | March 26, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

e -

I agree.

I watched the Nats all last week and both I and my brother were duly impressed with Pete Orr. I haven't been quite as annoyed at Harris, but Orr is a good thing to have in our stable.

Posted by: i hate walks | March 26, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Brian -- I just asked Barry the same question on his chat and he said Langerhans would probably be sent down (he has a split contract) and that when WMP returns it gets "dicey" because somebody else has to go.

Also, for those not "listening" to the chat, Section 214 paid Barry a compliment and he responded by saying "Thanks Mom," in true NJ style.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 26, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to you and your colleagues, Barry, for the excellent preview section today in my $.35 edition!

Posted by: nats fan in annandale | March 26, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"Samantha7, you are misplaced in your small gripe - the preview layout was done that way so that the Nats players pages could easily be pulled out separately, which can only be done if they are on the middle pages."

My small gripe about the preview section is not that they included two pages about the Orioles (actually, I'm ambivalent if not even okay with that), but rather that they headlined the preview pages as "The Orioles" and "The Nationals". That should be BALTIMORE Orioles in the headline, Senor Garcia-Ruiz. The Orioles are not a home team for the WASHINGTON Post. How many more years until you finally figure that out? Just because Peter Angelos is afraid to call them the Baltimore Orioles doesn't mean you have to follow suit.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 26, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The other day I came upon MASN Classic showing the grand opening day of Camden Yards. i actually watched just to remember Brooks Robinson and Jon Miller. F Angelos. F Orioles.

Go Nats!

Posted by: longterm | March 26, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"That should be BALTIMORE Orioles in the headline, Senor Garcia-Ruiz. The Orioles are not a home team for the WASHINGTON Post."

:whap whap whap::

Posted by: Dead Horse | March 26, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

"That should be BALTIMORE Orioles in the headline, Senor Garcia-Ruiz. The Orioles are not a home team for the WASHINGTON Post. How many more years until you finally figure that out? Just because Peter Angelos is afraid to call them the Baltimore Orioles doesn't mean you have to follow suit."

I actually agree with the suggestion, if not the theory.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | March 26, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section 109 | March 26, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Speaking as a person who grew up in the area, I was not an O's fan. I was a Reds fan, and I knew a lot of other people that rooted for the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers etc.

Granted, there still are a lot of O's fans but the Post is, I think, slowing dwindling there coverage of the O's. They are not going to cut them off just like that, as much as I would like them to. It's about selling papers. Period.

Posted by: Section 505/203 | March 26, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"419+1--Here's how I see the Post's coverage of the Orioles: We all know what it is to love a team. For 30 yrs, Orioles fans in the DC area had no Washington team to root for, and are loyal to the O's. The Post is either respecting that, or wants to sell papers to these folks, or both."

Fine. Then call them what they are: the BALTIMORE Orioles. When the Post writes a general news story about Baltimore, do they refer to it as "the city"? No, they say "Baltimore". Why pretend to be a Baltimore newspaper just to snag Orioles fans as readers, but not use the same tactics to ensnare non-baseball fans who live in the same areas between DC and Baltimore but identify more with Baltimore than Washington? I sense another hidden agenda at play, and I know exactly who the culprit is: Senor Garcia Ruiz.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 26, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Man. Ray King gives up four runs in the eighth? And not a particularly great game for Chico, what with the five earned runs and all.

That being said, two runs of offense just ain't gonna cut it, either.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

(I believe that fifth run in the eighth was also charged to King, for those of you keeping score at home.)

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow...10-2. I sure hope things go better for us when we see Atlanta again on Sunday. Where has our offense been lately?

Posted by: BSG | March 26, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Sixteen left on base. Zimm, Johnson, and Kearns all ended innings with runners in scoring position. Chico was again good through five - how do we get him to go another inning and a third?

Posted by: lowcountry | March 26, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

@LOL 506 and Dead Horse,

What else can you say about a team that's too embarrassed to let fans in road cities know where they're from?

Posted by: natsscribe | March 26, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Just Sayin' | March 26, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Ten to two is a time, not a baseball score.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I do see that Milledge got robbed of a potential three-run homer though, so that's a good sign.

Posted by: BSG | March 26, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Neither would "Washington Nationals", but that's what layout artists are for.

Posted by: SF Fan | March 26, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

""Baltimore Orioles" wouldn't have fit using the same type face, given the graphics across the top of the pages"

So you're saying the Post is so cheap they can only afford one typeface? Use a smaller one, or revise your graphics accordingly to make it fit. Duh.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 26, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

New post featuring the roster of the 2008 WASHINGTON Nationals. Nothing on the BALTIMORE Orioles as of yet.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 26, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

love all of the wannabe layout artists here.

just sayin... (considering that's what i do all day).

Posted by: 231 | March 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

On the previous thread, we returned to the "where will get next year's middle infield" topic. I think Corey suggested maybe a big pre-season trade. I say patience is a virtue on this one. Wait for a contender to have someone break down without a good replacement and pounce.

We've kicked around moving for Jed Lowrie before. If JD Drew breaks down, the Red Sox lack a right fielder / right handed hitter in one of the more difficult right fields to defend. If Dukes and Pena are healthy and behave, perhaps AK could go for Lowrie +. Alternatively, they may get thin at middle relief. Timlin is old, and they will be squeezed by guys running out of options. Rauch or Ayala could get you Lowrie, too.

I don't think some of the Detroit depth names mentioned before are 2009 solutions, and don't know the NYY depth beyond I guess Betemit (who they play more at 1B/3b). Clint Barmes of interest to anyone (despite his first name)?

A big year out of Desmond solves some problems. A Desmond / Belliard middle infield might be OK in 2009. Finally, Chris Needham / JayB's boy Adam Everett will be free next year.

Posted by: PTBNL | March 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I have never been a fan of Ray King. I know he's our "left handed specialist" out of the bullpen, but he "specializes" in giving up runs. He has been getting worse every year since 2004. Here is his ERA for the past 4 years:

2004 2.61 - Excellent
2005 3.38 - Good
2006 4.43 - Er...Not so good
2007 4.76 - Er...Bad
2008 ??? over 5.00 ???

I really had hoped that Maekawa could have come over because I think he would have been a really cheap alternative from the left side.

Posted by: Diz | March 26, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a huge supporter of King, but his numbers vs. lefty batters are frickin solid. Whether its his career or just 2007, he epitomizes the LOOGY role. Low batting avg., low ops, solid w/ runners in scoring position.

He signed a minor league deal and will make only $850 grand this season on the active roster.

Not sure why, after 1 bad outing at the end of ST (where he gives up his first run(s) this spring), people would rail against him.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | March 26, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse