Slugfest over, Hill questions abound

Nats beat the Astros 12-10 behind homers from Ryan Zimmerman, Ronnie Belliard and Luis Jimenez. The wind -- unbelievably hard out to right, so hard that while at a stop sign this morning my car was shaking -- dictated this game, and Tim Redding said he had a hard time getting a grip on the ball because his hand and the ball were so dry.

"I got my work in, that's for sure," Redding said. But it wasn't pretty: 3 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K. He started out walk, HBP, wild pitch, walk. He said other players were telling him, "Just flush it. You're throwing the ball too well this spring." So we'll see how he flushes it.

Just prior to the game, Jim Bowden said that Shawn Hill had received a cortisone shot in his right arm late Friday night. Hill did not reveal that development when I spoke to him this morning.

"They injected it, and he had instant relief," Bowden said. "What that means, I don't know? We'll have to wait and see when he goes back on the mound."

Hill told me he didn't know when he would throw again. I asked Bowden, and Bowden said Randy St. Claire might know. I asked St. Claire, and he wasn't sure. So there's definitely some confusion around this situation. Again, it must be monitored, and I suppose that's what I'm down here for.

Tomorrow: Split-squad games against the Indians, with Jason Bergmann going in Viera and Matt Chico tossing in Winter Haven. I'll report on both. But for now, it's only a few hours before the Duke-North Carolina tip, and I need to get situated with a couple of beverages on my couch.

Enjoy your Saturday night.

By Barry Svrluga  |  March 8, 2008; 5:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Zimmerman and Bowden on the renewal
Next: Split-squad Sunday

Comments

Your earlier posts were the first time I'd ever heard both management and player talk so openly about playing through pain. It surprised me. Don't they usually outright lie about that kind of thing?

Posted by: NatsNut | March 8, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Enjoy the beverages.

Posted by: The Dude | March 8, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Apparently the winds blowing out at today's spring training game against Houston were 36 mph. I hope winds blowing over the Anacostia into the new ballpark aren't too brisk. The stench might hurt attendance. Then again, it might finally get effective action going to clean the river up.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 8, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

i think i need a 'beverage,' too.

Posted by: 231 | March 8, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Lets go Devils!

(Not sucking up to Barry - also an alum).

Posted by: Svrlugamania | March 8, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Go Heels! Is there anyone who likes the Dookies that *isn't* an alum?

Posted by: Dook su**s | March 8, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

No, there is nobody who likes Duke who is not an alum but NC Fans are just as grating. Go Judges!

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | March 8, 2008 11:13 PM | Report abuse

No, there is nothing as bad as dook fans and their whiny coach (sorry Barry).

Posted by: dook su**s | March 8, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

i hate duke, but mad respect to the crazies, they are the best fans. that cap, gown, and diploma heckle on maryland was priceless...GO HEELS

Posted by: love | March 9, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

As I have said before. There will never be a Hill pitching on the hill for the Nats. Oh, sure, maybe one or to cameo appearances to "check it out". But take your heads out of the sand boys. Hill is through. Patterson is probably 50-50 to get into May or June. But I think the Nationals will have a better team this year, even without Hill and Patterson. Next year all our great new pitchers will be taking over so we can get rid of the Hills and Pattersons. Yes, we will have a good year this year and a great year next!! GO NATIONALS!!!!!!

Posted by: Pete/Gaithersburg | March 9, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

99 MPH per Acta........not one to overstate things....We have a 20 year old in minor league camp who can bring the heat per Tom......(not Boswell ofcourse)....did he get tired of ST already.....

Posted by: Tom L says | March 9, 2008 6:50 AM | Report abuse