Stadium Stadium Stadium

Hey all -- Jon DeNunzio (washingtonpost.com sports editor) here, filling in ever-so-briefly for Barry. I am here simply to point you to the spectacular work our reporting, multimedia and graphics staffs have done on the new stadium. It all debuted today. Some highlights:

- A section front devoted to the stadium, including a cool interactive map.
- Maps that (hopefully) help you navigate a smooth path to games.
- City Guide's rundown of eats and drinks near the park. (City Guide plans to review all the food stands in the park, btw, and readers can start rating them ... well, now)
- Many videos, including this one on the stadium construction workers.
- Panoramic photos from around the park (I suggest contrasting the view from the $335 seats with the view from the $5 seats).

Click around, and let us know what you think.

Jon

By washingtonpost.com Sports Editor  |  March 28, 2008; 10:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Did John Lannan really not make this team?
Next: Nationals Park: The view from the press box

Comments

I think this is our boys headed home for a great season:

It seems to be the only flight into IAD last night from S. FL that was not a scheduled airliner and could have gotten them over to National Park according to press reports. It appears they are using a 727 which most teams use - but a few are upgrading to 757 this year.

Nice Section today by the Post.

Posted by: HD Nats Fan | March 28, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see my Baby-Birds put the beat down on the Nats in their new stadium. What a beautiful day that'll be. Nick Markakis and Adam Jones hitting monster homeruns while O's pitchers constantly strike out Nats batters.

Oh yeah, let the good times roll.

Seriously, a PS3 Zone? HAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHA

Also, I'd like to know what all the self-righteous Nationals fans think of DC United? Because we all know, if it wasn't for DC United, there'd be no Washington Nationals.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

when did the baltimore sun take editorial control of your weekend sesction? no, i don't own and never have owned an orioles cap.

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I was floored with all the great ballpark things to click on today. Excellent work. Great, ahem, coverage, I should say.

I know WashPost isn't a PR arm of the Nationals but lots of previously indifferent people are coming to me and talking about details I thought only I knew. Huge thanks for that.

Posted by: NatsNut | March 28, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

First time to use Tiny URL - which I learned about from this Blog.

Perhaps that will be easier.

Posted by: HD Nats Fan | March 28, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

HD Nats Fan,

Don't forget it's called a Tin Yurl around here. ;)

Posted by: NatsNut | March 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

An asterisk goes to the team with the advantage at each position.

**Milledge -- Jones

Posted by: NatBisquit | March 28, 2008 08:16 AM
___________________________________________

I'd love for this person to mail me whatever high-strain of potent marijuana they're smoking if they think Lastings Milledge is better than Adam Jones.

Please, send me this medical-marijuana grade pot as soon as possible.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Jon, there seems to be a typo (two h's in http:) in the "Maps" link.

Posted by: Hendo | March 28, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Jon,

Could you please tell me if there will be a special poster insert from the Washington Post sometime next week from the Opening Night of Nationals Park? I know there was an insert 3 years ago that titled "Baseball Returns" to RFK which I had framed up really nice and would like to do the same for Nationals Park. Thanks!

Posted by: cmcclure27 | March 28, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Reposting from the tail end of the last thread:

I know Boz has some detractors in here, but do yourself a favor and read his column on H3 today (the special section on the new stadium). He's up in the "worst seat in the park," at the furthest reaches of the grandstand, which, as I and others have said before, is actually a terrific seat, because it's not all that far from the field, and it has great views of Washington, including the Capitol Building just to your left.

He writes, "So, you say, casually putting your arm around the dome, does it look like Shawn Hill has his good stuff tonight?"

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hendo -- thanks, link should be fixed.

cmcclure27 -- Yes. The doubletruck (the two middle pages) in Monday's Sports section will be devoted to a photo of the first pitch. I *think* a poster version will be made available later, too, but I am not 100 percent sure on that. Will confirm.

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | March 28, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

To all O's fans- I was at yesterday's game and jones looked really bad Baseball america projects milledge as a 20-20 player jones is ranked as a 20-20 player to so there = maybe jones has a slight edge in defense but there pretty equal.

Posted by: DJ 26 | March 28, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Old Guy-

Nats 320 got a pic of Nick Johnson's bolts/rat-tail hair. It's the third picture down.

Posted by: JAB | March 28, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what is going to be put in the area next to the Red Porch? I thought it was supposed to be a grass patch area directly behind the CF position and for the batters eye view, but it still currently looks like a black cloth or something.. Thanks!

Posted by: cmcclure27 | March 28, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Dear O's exec,

Go back to your corner in East Baltimore and say hello to Marlo for me.

Posted by: The BigC from DC | March 28, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

whoops, wrong post, and too late anyway. Sorry folks.

Posted by: JAB | March 28, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Chiming in late. My apologies -- and also apologies for saying the ballpark section would be published on Sunday. I was wrong about that. The stuff DeNunzio pointed out online is great, the dead-tree stuff is really really strong as well. Maps, guides, all kinds of stuff.

And yes: The plan is to get a shot of the first pitch and make it into a poster like we did in 2005. A framed version of that poster, by the way, hangs above my desk at home.

Posted by: Barry Svrluga | March 28, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I've had enough!!!

There is a whole page in the Sports section for an MLS Preview, and it does not mention the Nats even once!!!!!

Heh.

Nice section on the ballpark today.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | March 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Barry,

My triple matted red/white/blue framed poster shot hangs in my office at work here in Florida. Is there a projected time frame when this new Opening Day Poster shot will be first available? Like later next week? I only ask so I can let my family know to be sure to grab one for me. Thanks!

Posted by: cmcclure27 | March 28, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Baltimore sucks, O's Exec. You have a terrible team with a horrendous owner which makes it a fitting representative of your third rate city. An Angelos to you! Lets Go Nationals!

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | March 28, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

WaPo-

When will you update the Fan Guide on the Nationals Subsite to refer to the new ballpark instead of RFK?

Posted by: NatsWin! | March 28, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Despite the fact that O's exec is a fool to mock the Nats considering the garbage Stinky Pete and gang are going put on the field up there, he brings up a good topic of conversation: Adam Jones vs. LMillz.

LMillz is four months older than Jones, and this will be the first season that either player will play everyday. Here are their spring stats:

LMillz - 73ab, 13r, 1hr, 10rbi, 6sb - 2cs, .388obp, .479slg, .329avg

Jones - 50ab, 8r, 1hr, 3rbi, 0sb - 1cs, .315obp, .400slg, .260avg

LMillz has more experience to this point (350 career abs to Jones's 139 in the majors) but by the end of the year, we should have a fair comparison of these two guys just how good either can be.

Posted by: 307 | March 28, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Where/How can I snag one of these posters from Opening Day "05?

Posted by: Corey | March 28, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

"Does anyone know what is going to be put in the area next to the Red Porch? I thought it was supposed to be a grass patch area directly behind the CF position and for the batters eye view, but it still currently looks like a black cloth or something."

There's grass under that black cloth. According to the Post this morning, it's some special kind of grass that won't need to be mowed. I'm hoping that's because they'll be grazing a mountain goat there.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I have one of those posters in storage. If you look closely, you can see Mrs. in Mpls and me (way up in section 547, I think).

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 28, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post, thanks for the memories you're helping make for us. Barry, Boz, Shenin, Jon and everyone else. Ten years from now, when we've won a World Series or two, we'll look back at the great work you're doing today and praise the Post. Let just hope the Post is around in some form or another to praise...

Long live the Post
Go Nats !!!

Thx again...

Posted by: NiceNat | March 28, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Dead-Tree version of today's stadium section is in my carry-on bag, for reading while I fly to San Diego later today. At leas it'll provide some small comfort for not being in town this weekend.

Posted by: Juan-John | March 28, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what time the Nats' are scheduled to work out at the stadium today? I want to watch on the stadium cam.

Yes, I'm a dweeb. Deal.

Posted by: Section 205 | March 28, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about how to get the Post 2005 RFK poster, but I got a nice framed panoramic photo of the first pitch in 2005 from the Rob Arra collection. The tin yurl is tinyurl.com/2pld9p . I'm anticipating that they will also be producing a similar panoramic photo of the first pitch Sunday night.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Reaching back a bit... Here's an article on home field advantage in baseball.

It's a very technical discussion of the statistics without much information on the reasons for it. What I think it does show is that home field doesn't mean that much in baseball. It's worth maybe 4 or 5 games in extreme cases in a given year. Otherwise it's just maybe one or two wins over the course of an 81 game schedule for most teams. Interestingly, all-time, the franchise with the worst home field advantage ... the Baltimore Orioles. This information only takes into account the franchise's time in Baltimore, not St. Louis.

On the Milledge and Jones comparison, we have a lot of information to go to make at least a preliminary prediction of who will be better. Jones has had about 1900 minor league ABs many of which came in hitters leagues (Cal, Texas, and PCL). Milledge has had about 1200 ABs in leagues which are less hitter friendly (Florida State, Eastern, Int.) In every category, Milledge has better stats: BA - .305/.291; OBP - .385/.354; SLG. - .479/.476; SB% - 67%/65%. Milledge also has significantly more SBs per plate appearance.

Milledge should be the better offensive player over the long term in the big leagues. Anybody have any defensive information?

Posted by: #4 | March 28, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

#4, once more we pretty much agree on the limits of Home Field advantage, although in a tight pennant race, 4 or 5 games is a lot.

Re: the Milledge v. Jones defensive stats. Most of what I have read seems to point to the concept that no definitive set of Defensive stats has really been developed to truly evaluate a player. This may, in fact, be the anti-moneyball situation, in that you really need to rely on scouts and experienced eyes instead of numbers.

BTW, I have a pair of framed panoramic pics, at home, depicting both opening and closing days for RFK. If I can remember, I'll post the source.

Posted by: Catcher50 | March 28, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

To CIL if he's out there (and other like-minded bloggers). I'm not trying to pick a fight, this is a real question. Did you feel any better about the coverage after today's enormous spread? (disclaimer, I'm an online guy so no clue what the dead-tree version looked like). That was quite a few people spending time researching and writing about the Nats.

Now, 1) it was for the new stadium and 2) I know your main beef is we need another beat writer and columnist and I totally agree.

Just curious if the resources they put into the spread today as progress or a one off that doesn't mean much.

Personally, I was encouraged but we really need two beat writers. I mean Georgetown basketball has a dedicated beat writer, that's 30 games for a college! This is pro sports with 162 games. OK, now I'm ranting, this was supposed to be a calm question post. My apologies.

Posted by: Avar | March 28, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Meant to add that I thought the on-line spread was fantasitc. Loved it. Must have spent an hour looking at everything.

Posted by: Avar | March 28, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Barry etal -- THANK YOU for all the stuff in my $.35 edition this morning. I love it all! All your graphics geeks really went to town. (Actually, with the full page on the Cherry Blossoms as well...)

And thanks for the link to 320Blog. Last night, it was so neat seeing the news with the film of the players. Actually, could see the "wow" on DaMeatHook's lips!

What a weekend here in Washington -- Cherry Blossoms, Opening Day, the National Marathon.

Posted by: nats fan in annandale | March 28, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Leetee, cool post about the Twins memories on the last thread. I doubt Speigner/Santana will count as a Nationals watershed moment, but I'm thinking we may get the chance to witness our own memories in the making this season.

It's easy to be wistful in these days before the opener.

Thanks for the stats on Milledge vs. Jones, #4. Those are close numbers, save for OBP, but the distinction between the two leagues makes the difference.

It's also easy to make predictions in these days before the opener.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 28, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

re:

-----------------
WaPo-

Posted by: NatsWin! | March 28, 2008 11:55 AM
------------------

This has already been fixed. "Fan Guide" tab takes me to the new Nats Stadium page on my box. Not working for you?

We are talking about the same thing, right? The "Fan Guide" tab on this page:

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | March 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey O's Exec, good luck on the O's not losing 120 games this year. See you on the other side of .500

Sincerely,
The Only Baseball Team In Town

Posted by: AJ | March 28, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

re: questions about the opening pitch poster ...

I hate to say it, but it looks like the best bet is to watch the paper and the website for news next week. Details still being ironed out. If Barry does not get you an update next week, I will.

re: 2005 poster ... good luck. IIRC, they went fast back then. Would be very hard to find now, I'll bet.

Posted by: Jon DeNunzio | March 28, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Dear O's exec,

Go back to your corner in East Baltimore and say hello to Marlo for me.

Posted by: The BigC from DC | March 28, 2008 11:37 AM

*****************************************

I'm more of a fan of McNulty. I like the way he handles business.

As far as the Jones/Milledge comparison who was traded for who? The O's traded a proven #1 pitcher for Jones (and others) while the Nats traded some scrap metal for Milledge. What's that say about how the Mets viewed Milledge?

Posted by: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Long live the Post
Go Nats !!!

Thx again...

Posted by: NiceNat | March 28, 2008 12:22 PM

*******************************************

A couple of World Series or 2 in the next ten years? hahahahahaha thanks for the laugh.

Nicenat, I'd like to echo my sentiments expressed earlier to NatBisquit and ask that you also send me whatever high-grade marijuana your smoking that makes you actually thinkg and believe this. Please, my stash is running low.

Posted by: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Finally I'm still waiting for well thoughtout, intelligent responses to:

Seriously, a PS3 Zone? HAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHA

Posted by: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see anyone else answer this...

I think tonight's workout is at 6pm.

Posted by: Matt | March 28, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@JiM,
I also forgot that my dad took m,e to the last game at Griffith Stadium. You guessed it - the Senators lost to the Twins!

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure there's video gams for kids at OPACY, there was last time I was there...

Also - where's C-I-L? Can someone swing by his house? If he saw that the Weekend section recommended a trip up to Baltimore, he might be unconscious on his kitchen floor.

Posted by: Sec 114 | March 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"hey der hun, how bout some old beeey on dem crabbers, come see caal and the Ews!

Posted By: O's Exec | March 28, 2008 12:33 PM"

Posted by: love | March 28, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

one might think that the fact that the Os traded spare parts for milledge (the same guy the mets wouldn't include in a trade for manny), vs the Os having to give up a potential ace to get jones (et al, remember, there were 4 other players in that trade, including the Os closer)... one might think that means the nationals' front office did a better job... or that the other 4 players in the trade that brought jones made up for the difference in value. one might think... ;)

Posted by: 231 | March 28, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

O's exec, how can you expect a well thought out intelligent answer to a retarded question like yours? C'mon bud, stop the hating. Go back to your terrible city that is known simply as a rest stop between DC and NY.

Posted by: Wily Mo Pablo | March 28, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

"Also, why in the world does this beautiful new stadium need a PS3 Zone? It couldn't be because the team will be so bad that no one will want to actually watch them by the 3rd inning and will need something else to entertain them until the game is over?

Seriously, a PS3 Zone? HAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHA"

Well, at the risk of feeding the troll, there is this: The Orioles play in Nationals Park three games a year, and will continue do so for the foreseeable future. So kudos to the Lerners for providing something for fans to do for entertainment during those 27 half-innings a year that the Orioles are at bat. Hitless innings just aren't all that exciting, you know - that is, until you get to around the 7th or 8th one of them in a row. Even the Orioles don't suck enough to provide that opportunity every night (although they will probably come the closest to doing it of any of this year's opponents). Hence the PS3s, to keep boredom at bay.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | March 28, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

First, omar. Nuff said.
Second, 231's got it right. Don't use the fact that the O's got fleeced to say "milledge sucks". Maybe the Mets got fleeced more. (I know it's hard for an O's fan to contemplate having a 12-game lead at labor day, let alone having it slip away)
Third, at least the Nats have talent in the queue. The O's have.. Cal Ripken Day!
Fourth, the Nats never claimed all of Maryland as "home turf" so they could wheel out a 90-loss team.

So if you don't like the Nats, please stay in Maryland. You'll have all of section 412 to yourself.

Posted by: 'sall in the game, yo. | March 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Not looking good for Teddy - look at the web cam at 9:12 a.m. on today. Teddy is once again far behind. I guess the racing President's needed pre-game work out as well.

Posted by: HD Nats Fan | March 28, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Good one, 419!

Posted by: Bob L. Head | March 28, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know if there is any kind of momento (promo item) for tomorrow's game. I couldn't get OD but I got tomorrow's and it'd be nice to have something to say I was there.

Posted by: svxcountry | March 28, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Jon,

Do you HAVE to run those annoying "birdland" banners on the NJ pages?

Posted by: leetee1955 | March 28, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

HD Nats Fan -

Does this glimpse of the presidents practicing mean Teddy's not repeating the zip line "fiasco" (i.e., just another losing strategy) of last years's opening day?

Posted by: natsagain | March 28, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

There is a 2005 Opening Day poster on Ebay for $10.

Posted by: AO | March 28, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse