A look to Columbus

Before we get to the minor leagues -- and it's worth getting to -- some painful reminders of Thursday, a very winnable game. Here's the gamer, which has lots about all those angles, particularly Jimmy Rollins's very heads-up play to take third from first on a bunt.

Here's the explanation of Dmitri Young's back, as well as something I think is interesting about Jason Bergmann.

And Sheinin made the trip up to deal with the Lopez situation. I have to say, the guy looked good out there today, though there weren't any truly difficult plays. Sounds like he'll play left through the weekend.

So here's the news from Columbus. Mike O'Connor was the Clippers' Opening Night starter, and he pitched five innings of two-hit ball, allowing no runs. He walked two and struck out four, and for a guy I thought might never make the majors again, he's pitching really well. The whole organization is encouraged by his performance this spring.

Larry Broadway 2 for 4 as the starter at first and the cleanup hitter, Alex Escobar as the fifth-place hitter and DH, Kory Casto as the right fielder (weird) and he went 3 for 4. Pete Orr playing third base.

But the true intrigue in Columbus: The rotation. Remember, the reason the Nationals feel more comfortable with the pitching is that the rotation in Class AAA is deeper. So here it is: O'Connor, Garrett Mock, Collin Balester, John Lannan and, finally, Tyler Clippard.

Except it won't go that way. Lannan, the best Nationals' starter in the spring, will be recalled to start Sunday at St. Louis, and someone else will have to fill in for Columbus. The interesting part: What will happen with Lannan if/when Shawn Hill comes back. Hill is due to throw again Tuesday, perhaps for Class A Potomac. GM Jim Bowden is adamant that the people who will pitch in the majors are the people who deserve to be here. So we'll see.

Other minor league results: Harrisburg and Akron played to a 5-5 tie after 10 innings, and they'll resume on Friday night because of rain.

The Potomac Nationals open up Friday night at the Salem Avalanche. The home opener in Woodbrige is Tuesday against Myrtle Beach.

I'll talk to you from St. Louis.

By Barry Svrluga  |  April 3, 2008; 10:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dmitri Young: Unavailable
Next: Single-game parking now available

Comments

Boy, I don't know if anyone from Natsland is reading the blog tonight, but give my best to Dmitri Young. We love him here in DC, not just in a "what have you done for me lately" sort of way. He's got the right heart for this team and I don't want him to lose it!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 3, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Most of these guys will be bagging groceries in a few months. That or they'll have been called up to the MLB roster because the current Nats won't be getting it done. Either way it's a lose/lose for them.

As for the O's, their farm system is stocked with nothing but 5-tool athletes and future Cy Young winners.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 3, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I am beginning to that O's Exec and Poopy are the same person. Pretty Pathetic

Posted by: natsfanBoston | April 3, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

yeah i gotta be honest, the o's exec thing has long since gotten old and stupid.

(wait... were we trying to ignore it so it would go away? if so, oops)

Posted by: different natsfanboston | April 3, 2008 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Oh who mind's O"s Exec. Perspnally I think he's a fairly humerous impersonation of Peter Angelos actual thoughts. Knowing PA the way I don't it might actually be him, or more likely an intern in the Orioles front office assigned to annoy Nats fans on the washpost site in hopes of pushing down interest and ticket sales.

Or maybe he's just a complete ass (wait, that still describes Angelos).

Posted by: estuartj | April 3, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Also, speaking of the minors, J-Max hit a 3 run dinger in the 3rd inning vs Akron in the Senators opener.

If Cordero or DY go to the DL I think he'll get a call up till WMP is back. Anyone have a better idea when that will be? Sheinin's bit about Lopez said he's be playing LF "through the weekend", but what then happens on Monday?

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Going extra innings with only 23 guys is difficult. The Nats really should make some roster moves. Dmitri and Cordero to the DL for an OF and Lannan make sense to me

Send Lannan down when/if Hill is ready and Schroder down when/if Cordero is healthy. Can Cordero be on the DL retroactive to 3/24, which seems to be the last time he pitched? He would then be available during the FLA series.

It gets tricky when/if Wily Mo, Dukes & Dmitri are healthy. The recalled OF will be sent down, but then who is next? Who can the Nats send down that won't be a waiver claim?

Also, I understand its a getaway game and a couple starters are coming off injuries. Playing Boone, Lopez and Flores makes sense. Keeps everybody focused and content. I would think, however, everybody should be focused and content this time of the year. I don't think the dog days really apply to the first week of April.

I don't think having Harris PH with the bases loaded/two outs in the top of the 9th is part of the plan, especially for a team with a deep bench.

The lefty starter forced Lopez to LF. Having another right handed OF bat would have allowed Lopez to PH. Manny was out-maneuvered during the Mackowiak/LoDuca PH situation. The LH/RH splits and batter vs. pitcher numbers all made sense, but pulling Mackowiak left the Nats with only Harris as a PH. Lopez pinch hitting for Hanrahan would have kept Madson in the game and provided options during the top of the 9th.

I'm not questioning the bullpen or PH moves. Just the need for a full active roster. Having a couple guys on the roster that require a break during the first week of the season only underscores the need for a full roster.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | April 4, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Note to Natsfanboston: Your conclusion is 100% correct.

Posted by: TimDz | April 4, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

I guess one thing that Manny and the rest of us can agree on after the tenth inning yesterday: Colome is NOT a control pitcher. I would be surprised to see him again in a situation with the bases loaded.
You can freely substitute other words for "surprised", dear readers.

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Entirely unrelated to anything: We've been loudly raging against "Sweet Caroline" in this forum, but I notice nearly universal acceptance of "Nationals Nation" as a term for the fan base. Isn't this clearly copied off of the Red Sox? Honestly, that annoys me more than "Sweet Caroline."

What are some alternatives? Nats Country, Nationals Capital, Natsland, Natsylvania, c'mon, let's come up with something better.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Ocho not sure about your pinch hitting comments - wasn't Lopez already in LF?

At least Mackowiak finally got into a game. Well almost.

Posted by: Bazz | April 4, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Forget the Lopez part - I see you were doing a 'what-if'

Posted by: Bazz | April 4, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to see Saturday's Nats game vs the Cardinals in St. Louis, hopefully the Chico vs Wainwright matchup will work out better in reality than it looks on paper (we've already beaten 3 "aces" and should have had a 4th, so why not!).

For tonight I thought maybe Manny could tweak the line-up, with Lopez apparently starting in LF, why not get creative;

Today vs RHP Brandon Looper
1. Guzman (SS)
2. Milledge (CF)
3. Johnson (1B)
4. Zimmerman (3B)
5. Kearns (RF)
6. Lo Duca (CA)
7. Belliard (2B)
8. Perez (SP)
9. Lopez (LF)

Thoughts?

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Nat Your Father's Baseball Team? No, too long. Nat Pack. No already taken.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Reminder: if you're curious where some of our prized minor league talent is starting the year - our website at MLB.com under Minor League affiiates has updated rosters and boxscores.

BTW - I can kick the O's Exec's butt. Was last night's game cancelled for rain or lack of interest?

Posted by: Nats Exec | April 4, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

A bit overly gloomy in the gamer, Barry, don't you think? How about every Nat getting a hit (except Zimm) or the amazing game that Guzzie had or Flores going, what, 3-for-4 with two 2Bs? Reading the gamer it looks like another year of offensive futility, but seven runs against Jamie Moyer is not futility. Maybe we wanted MORE, but you get the idea from the gamer that our offense sucks again.

I thought there WAS a story in our bullpen having a rocky start, but that route didn't really materialize either.

You write so well, though!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Nationals Interest?

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I know it's the name of the cheerleaders, but I like Nat Pack.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Some other possibilities (I don't tend to read fan blogs so apologies if some names are already taken):

Vox Nationals
Body Nationals
Nats Republic

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

How about "The Sen-NAT-e"?
________________________________
Nat Your Father's Baseball Team? No, too long. Nat Pack. No already taken.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 09:11 AM

Posted by: lowcountry | April 4, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Stat fact 'o the day...Starting Line-ups OPS through 4 games

1. Nick Johnson - .968
2. Christian Guzman - .900
3. Austin Kearns - .855
4. Lastings Milledge - .839
5. Ryan Zimmerman - .658
6. Ronnie Belliard - .502
7. Felipe Lopez - .333
8. Paul Lo Duca - .321

Interesting that NJ is actualy 3rd in OBP so far with .385 behind AK with .471 and Guz's .400

I know it's only 4 games, but the bottom 3 in our order are starting pretty slow so far. We really need WMP back, anyone heard an update on his injury status?

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: O's Exec | April 3, 2008 11:17 PM
I am beginning to that O's Exec and Poopy are the same person. Pretty Pathetic

Posted by: natsfanBoston | April 3, 2008 11:21 PM
=========

And I'm sure that O's Exec is the same person that has admitted to trying to incite controversy on the Wizards blog... even more pathetic...

Posted by: CN | April 4, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

That would be his right humerus, appropriate for an Exec.
********************

Perspnally I think O"s Exec's a fairly humerous impersonation of Peter Angelos actual thoughts.

Posted by: Nats' proofgremlin | April 4, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Nats Republic has possibilities - or "The Nationalists"

Posted by: lowcountry | April 4, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

All I know is that the arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone.

Posted by: Mr. Bones | April 4, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

First four games, while not a book, might we take heart that Stan and the Plan are on course. I'd look for FLop to be moved before the year is out, perhaps fairly soon with his recent attitude adjustment implying that he is a team player, willing to do whatever. What was thought to be the strength of the team, the bullpen, is showing some worrisome cracks. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. I hope the starters can average at least 6+ innings. Not going more than 5 will wear the bullpen out.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Lannan vs Chico?

Assuming Hill makes his triumphant return to the rotation on April 13th (vs Atlanta) I wonder who is headed to Columbus...

With the off day on 4/8 Lannan could pitch in Chico's place on 4/11 (5 days rest for Lannan, 6 for Chico).

That makes the Saturday (Chico) and Sunday (Lanna) starts even more important. I think the lesser outing of the 2 will be making their next one in Columbus...

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Nationals Park Rangers?

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Try this out...Nuclear Nats, or Nats Nukes

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Nice job by the Post today having Sheinin cover the Lopez story along with Barry's articles.

Posted by: Coverage is Lacking | April 4, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Great gamer, as usual.

What I found interesting were Zimmerman's comments about the Victorino bunt. "It's kind of a gray area," he said. Gray area? I thought Colome was supposed to cover third, plain and simple. Is that unreasonable to assume?

I lost sleep over Ayala's walk-off walk in 2005. Honestly. And yesterday's 10th-inning performance galled me as well. If Bergmann deserved a Bowden reprimand after his first start last season, Colome deserves a Bowden boot up his abscess.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 4, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Let me just say that, for all the crap you take, you are very fair and consistent, CiL.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 4, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Intentional walks
I hate. Unintentional
walks are even worse!

With a bow to I Hate Walks.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | April 4, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

classy comment, CiL.

506, awesome comment about Meat, and well placed at the top.

Don't mistake my silence as universal acceptance for Nats Nation. I hate it.

But I love Natsland.

I know you all have been writing and speculating about all this roster business, but I couldn't get a handle on it. Maybe writing it out will help so bear with me. Plus you can correct me where I'm wrong.

Okay. We have 3 on the DL (estrada, dukes, WMP) and three hurt but not on DL (Hill, Chief, Meat). Schroder filling Dukes' spot b/c Chief hurt. Lannan coming up but in whose spot? (Chico sent down? Hill on DL?) Still leaves us "down" roughly two spots because Meat and Hill not on the DL, right?

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Hill is on the DL

Posted by: Brian | April 4, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I think that the appropriate name to encompass all Nats fans across the country should simply be:

The Constituency.

I admit that this would have been even better if the team had been named the Senators. However, the fact that we wouldn't even have the name of the team in there would make it very "inside Washington." And after all, what is more "Washington" than "Inside Washington?"

Posted by: Positively Half St | April 4, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Eventually when Dukes returns which looks to be farthest down the road they're going to have to choose between Harris & Mackowiak.

Posted by: Bazz | April 4, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

natsnut,
Hill is on the DL, you also missed Wagner.

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

So if Hill and WMP are on the DL and come back around the same time PLUS Lannan comes up, we have to do something with THREE people? Putting Meat on the DL could make room for Lannan, I guess. But that's too many starting pitchers.

I'm so confused.

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Hill comes back on the 13th, likely Schroder will be optioned to AAA

Assuming WMP is back about the same time then a tough decision has to be made.

Do we go will 11 pitchers with only 6 relievers meaning likely Colome goes down, or do we move a position player? Options for Position players going bye-bye are DY to the DL, Harris to AAA or Mackowiak getting released or DFA'd.

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

it doesnt have to have "Nats" in the title you know....

how about the "Congress"

Posted by: theraph | April 4, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

estuartj: okay then. that helps. thanks.

Posted by: NN | April 4, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Agreed, Coverage. The Lopez article was interesting, I really like the gamer and the thinker set up.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Don't be to surprized if SHILL suffers the same fate as JPAT. Bowden seems to be saying, if you can't pitch 6 or 7 in a minor league game your no good to me and so far SHILL has not been able to do that. Bottom line is; they have plenty of pitching depth why not stop waiting around for one guy to get healthy. Let Lannen pitch, this is not 2006 or 2007, this team can hit a ton, and with the right mix of starting pitching they have a real good chance to compete at least thru the better part of the summer. Check around the rest of the NL East and its pretty much the same thing, lots of bangers and tons of question marks in the starting rotations and bullpens. JimBo strike while the iron is hot!

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | April 4, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

This land is Natsland? Patriotic but I don't think the song fits.

Terra Natsa? A better name for the field than fandom I think.

Nationals Planet? Fits the space theme from ST.

The Natosphere?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

I like the "Nationals Gallery," personally.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 4, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"this team can hit a ton????"

look, don't get me wrong, this is an improved team over last year, without a doubt. but it's improved from the least amount of runs scored in baseball.

so let's be clear: 4 games does not a season make. and yet, even in that 4 games, we've had two games with good scoring, but also a game with 1 run and a game with 3 runs (and the 3 run game we were shut down for 19 consecutive batters). and those games had 6 and 4 hits, respectively. and yesterday, to get those 7 runs, we needed 14 hits, 4 walks, and 4 errors by philly.

this is not a great hitting team. it's better than last year, but don't start believing that this is the 1927 yankees.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Post should set up a month long poll or so with a bunch of different fan suggestions. Like others, I do loathe Nats Nation. Maybe Nats Republic or something like that but let the fans decide. And if it sticks, even add it to the stadium.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Love the minor league news...keep it coming

Posted by: Miramichi Nat | April 4, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Just like the "O" in the National Anthem, O's Exec is an irritant and belongs with Angelos and his sons in Bawlmer hon.

Posted by: Old Section 425 | April 4, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

The National Park Service works really well... until they change the name of the stadium.

Posted by: theraph | April 4, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Signs around the beltway: "You are now entering the Natosphere!" Dark blue background (deep space, with stars). The sphere is a transparent baseball with red laces.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Nats cancelled today's open house due to weather.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

To john in mpplss

I think Zimmerman's comments about the grayishness of the situation, was just another example of RZ being a leader and a nice guy.
I assume that everyone involved knew that Colome had botched the play so what would be the point in calling him out in public?

Posted by: pk | April 4, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I think the Lopez move to the OF means that Harris' days are numbered. The purpose of him is that he can play almost every position. Now that Lopez is in the outfield, Harris is no longer needed. Thus, I think Schroder goes down when Lannan comes up. Harris goes down when Pena comes back and my prediction is that Chico will be the one going down when Hill comes back, but it depends on how both he and Lannan pitch in the next couple days.

I think Cordero will be fine in a couple of days, but Young will end up on the DL retroactive to his last game and maybe Maxwell comes up, or Pete Orr. If the Chief is put on the DL, it can be retroactive to May 30th, not the 24th as mentioned above (which is why Hill the 13th is the first day Hill is eligible to come of the DL). Spring training games don't count, so it has to be our first game.

All in all, I'm impressed with how hard the team is playing and it seems we're keeping our scrappy nature as we add talent so that's a plus. Three very winnable games in St. Louis this weekend. Hopefully we can get two of them.

Posted by: 307 | April 4, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

It's a good point. Not only is it not Zimmerman's place to say, "Wow, Colome really screwed up," it's not something leaders do.

But Barry also did not explicitly say it was Colome's play to make.

By the way, I suggest "Nationals League."

I don't know, maybe we save that one...

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 4, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

The Constituency has bee my favorite, so far, but I think it's going to have to remain an inside nickname. I plan on using it.

Terra Natsa for the field is hilarious.

The Natosphere is where we hope WMP smacks the baseball where he comes back.

The Nationals Park Service is what we hope improves drastically over RFK's cold dogs and scowls.

Nationals Gallery should be out Hall of Fame

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

i don't think that's true about the DL and spring training, 307. it was reported that john smoltz was pitching against minor leaguers for the last week or so in ST so he could be put on the DL retroactive to the last game he pitched against major leaguers in ST and come back before the 13th, presumably this weekend or early next week.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

For what to call the fanbase - Nats Nuts or The Swarm. Fanationals?

Posted by: Alan | April 4, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I like the constituency as well but I agree it probably doesn't have the legs to get very far outside this blog. But that's OK.

I'm still pushing the Natosphere. They could put my transparent baseball on top of the red porch and project things onto it with Flynnie's hologram device. Failing that, I would be happy to hear Charlie call a WMP blast "out of the Natosphere" at some point.

A lot of these ideas are good (and fit well with some existing stuff like "pledge your allegiance"). I wish the Nats had a marketing department.

CiL, now that you've prodded the Post into covering the Nats more effectively, perhaps you can start in on the lack of marketing?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

231, I guess you're right; the Braves are planning on starting Smoltz Sunday.

Learn something new everyday.

Posted by: 307 | April 4, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Depending on Cordero's health, either he gets DL'd (retroactive to his last ST appearance, I agree with 231 on this) when Lannan comes up or Schroeder down. Concevably, if Chico is lousy, they could send him down after his start.

When Hill is healthy, the weaker 4th / 5th starter goes down, unless they've avoided sending Schroeder down through a DL move or sending Chico down after Saturday.

No clue what moves they'll make when the OF gets healthy, but, unless they trade a bullpen guy or a backup outfielder, then it will likely involve a guy having to clear waivers. I doubt Harris or Colome have options. They seem like the likely candidates, especially if Lopez can play left. I don't think Boone or Mackowiak are release-bait.

Posted by: PTBNL | April 4, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

After hearing it a couple billion times from Bob L, I'm starting to grow to Natosphere.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I promise no insult intended though...kinda talked me into the ideas. The holographic ball may be a bit bunch but...a spaceship launching from the ball everytime there is a homerun would be pretty sweet.

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

for some reason i would think the 'Swarm' would be what the rest of the league would call the fanbase. in as much as the team is already referred to as the 'Gnats'.

Posted by: theraph | April 4, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, but blogs have killed the -osphere suffix. Now it conjures rabid madmen, raving about minutiae with weak, half-thought out arguments, and devoted to their side winning at all costs.

Actually, it does fit a fan-base pretty well.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Colome does not have options. That's how he made this team last season.

Posted by: John in Mpls | April 4, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I guess I have to admit that The Constituency might be too much of an inside nickname, but at least you will know what I mean if I refer to us that way.

I do like the Natosphere, but I have to admit that I already considered that term to mean all the Nats blogs and those of us who frequent them or contribute to them.

Posted by: Positively Half St | April 4, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I didn't really think of the blog connotation as I really only visit this one

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Anyone else notice our likely starters for all 3 games in sTL are lefties? Perez, Chico, Lannan?

Posted by: estuiartj | April 4, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm clearly biased, but I've always liked faNatics as a group reference, for its incorporation of fan, nat, and well, crazy love for the team. ;)

Posted by: faNATic | April 4, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

doesn't fanatic have something to do with the phillies mascot?

Posted by: svxcountry | April 4, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies already have the Fanatic, so I think we need something more original.

"We the People" would tie into the "Pledge your alligiance" theme. But I dig the Constituency. Maybe wonkish, but then aren't we all a bit wonkish anyway.

And it is original.

Posted by: 307 | April 4, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The Phoolies have the Phanatic, and we could distinguish ourselves as fans of a different class with our command of spelling. That being said, I understood the inherent difficulties from the start of the moniker.

The Constituency gets my actual vote, at least for online-reference purposes.

Posted by: faNATic | April 4, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Wow, some great group reference ideas coming out. 506, are you compiling them, by any chance? I like Natosphere but I also like faNATics and NatsNuts. I was trying to avoid using the monikers of NJ readers in my brainstorming, but I'm game if you all area.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

hmmm, good point re. the Phoolies' mascot.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Too bad there isn't anything happening with the actual team for us to discus.

Posted by: estuartj | April 4, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"Colome does not have options. That's how he made this team last season."

So do you think that after yesterday's meltdown JimBo is now praying (in reverse to how he prayed last season) for something to happen to Colome's buttocks so he can stash him on the DL and open up a roster spot to a pitcher who can actually get guys out? (If he is, I'm sure that JimBo is not also praying for something bad to happen to Colome's family, because that would just be mean. But I bet he's tempted...)

Posted by: Section 419+1 | April 4, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Bob L., the marketing by the team is pretty poor, isn't it? I was intrigued by Barry's comment the other day--was it in his chat?--that many of the people working for the team don't/didn't know much about baseball and came from other sports. I think this comes through in the team's marketing, because with games every day and long homestands baseball is a grind unlike any other sport, and you've got to market the team with that in mind.

506, I agree, having the 2 articles like they did today worked well, Barry didn't have to try to shoehorn the Lopez angle into his gamer where it may not have fit.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 4, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we have to pick a single name.

All of us here are on Planet NJ, when we're here. All of the die-hard fans/season ticket holders are officially Constituents, wherever we are, and part of Nationals Republic. (In fact, the Nats should use "Join the Constituency" right alongside "Pledge your Allegiance.")

The greater DC area is Natsland -- actually, let's make Natsland big enough to cover all of the minor league affiliates in the mid-Atlantic region.

The Natosphere is everything surrounding the Nats.

The field itself is Terra Natsa.

Our gritty, misunderestimated team, when playing this role (annoying Mets and Phils fans), is the Gnats, and the fans of that team are the Swarm. (When Zim hit it out on OD, for example, we were definitely a Swarm-type of crowd.)

Did I miss anything?

Barry, can you salt some of this into your posts/gamers/notebooks?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I like the "Nationals Gallery" one, but "The Constituency" is in my favor, too...

Posted by: nats fan in annandale | April 4, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I should have included the Gallery, although it reminds me of art, which is why I thought 506's suggestion that this be our hall of fame was on target. It could also refer to highlights, as in, "that's a play for Nationals Gallery." I think it's a little too passive to describe a fan base.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Not sure how I feel about Nats Nuts. ;)

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I think that on top of the Red Porch, since they're not putting a giant baseball up there, they should put a replica of the capitol dome that rises (like the apple at Shea) up after a Nats homerun...with fireworks. Now that would be cool!!

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | April 4, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

bobL, you have to think of gallery from a different perspective. instead of "art" gallery, it's more "peanut" gallery.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

errr... maybe not.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CN | April 4, 2008 09:26 AM
**************************************************************************************

Nothing could be further from the truth. I didn't even know there was a Wizards blog.

Baseball is my one and only love. Nuts to bball.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Nats Exec | April 4, 2008 09:12 AM
-------------------------------------------
Nats cancelled today's open house due to weather.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 10:41 AM
-------------------------------------------

Maybe the Nats open house was really cancelled due to lack of interest.

Boo-yah

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

And delicious crab-cakes.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of other blogs, check out what some knucklehead wrote over at Redskins Insider today:

"Isn't it time for the Post to assign Jasno to cover a different team? It's a shame to waste all this anger on the Redskins when he could be criticizing the Nationals who haven't been to a single Superbowl since before or after they left Montreal, or the Wizards who can't start five healthy players, or the Caps who, with the best player in the league still haven't wrapped up a playoff berth."

That's right, this team has not been to a Superbowl. And, unless there is a buffet in Philly named such, I'm going to go out on a limb and predict they never will.

In case you're wondering, this was in response to LaCanfora putting up the cap figures for the Redskins since 2000 and offering that they've been the most inefficient team in football this decade. It sparked a near riot by those who re-condemned him as a "hater."

Have fun over there, Barry. I suggest you turn the snark down to 2 or you might not make it out alive.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 4, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Old Section 425 | April 4, 2008 10:33 AM

Ever heard of freedom of speech pal?

Boo-ya-kasha

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

nah, he should turn the snark up to 11 and let the crazies all gnash their teeth, then come back here.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of calling the fanbase The Constituency. Or, and I recognize this isn't terribly punny or original but here goes: Nats Fans.

Is it gametime yet?

Posted by: i hate walks | April 4, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

With the down-and-out Nationals on the road tonight I'd like to invite everyone to come up to Oriole Park at Camden Yards and watch as the O's and Mariners battle each other. Old teammates facing one another. Adam Jones and George Sherrill against their old team. Erik Bedard against his old team. Exciting stuff going on here at OPACY. Much more exciting than watching the Nats play on television.

So come on up, bring the family, tour the Inner Harbor and all of it's wonder before the game, eat some mouth-watering crabcakes, have some delicious brewskies, and MORE IMPORTANTLY come cheer YOUR Baltimore Orioles.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

"or a giant washington monument, rising with the passionate screams and excitement with fireworks bursting out of the top after hitting a home run!"
______________________________

Now that I've stopped laughing - Were they to do that they would probably have to allow cigarette smoking at the Park (at least after every homerun)

Posted by: lowcountry | April 4, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Bob L., the marketing by the team is pretty poor, isn't it?"

You know, I see comments like this all the time, but no one ever goes beyond that to say WHY the marketing is perceived as poor, or more importantly what should be happening in the way of marketing that's not happening now. I mean, there are tons of ads in the Washington Post, some as big as a half or even a full page. There are radio ads on stations other than 3WT. Haven't seen any TV ads other than MASN, but then again TV ad time is very expensive. There have been lots of semi-public events at the new stadium, all of which have engendered coverage in the press or in blogs. There's one tomorrow, as a matter of fact. What else would you marketing naysayers have them do?

And don't start your remarks off with "There should be better coverage in the Post" or "There should be players in ads like Brad Wilkerson in 2005" (remember, those were Chevy Chase Bank spots) or "The team plays second fiddle on TV sportscasts" or any of that kind of stuff. All of that would be nice to have, but none of it has anything to do with the team's marketing of itself. What are the Nationals not doing in the way of marketing that they should be doing?

Posted by: Section 419+1 | April 4, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I dunno, none of these are making the Washington Monument rise up and go bang-zoom, for me. "Nationalists" may be the least hokey, but it lacks the clever twist, like playing on the WaPo ad slogan.

Posted by: MIB/CE | April 4, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Home run = NA-bomb

DY needs NatsLite

Fan base = The House (as in "the House is in session")

Colome walking in a run drives me "gnatty".

There will be more as the beebee sifts down through the brain cells...

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's a lovely stat for you all to bite on.

Runs given up by the bullpen:

Nats - 7
Orioles - 0

Looks like it's going to be a loooooong year in Nats-ville.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Fan base = The House (as in "the House is in session")

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 02:03 PM

That's gotta be the corniest thing I've ever read. And I've read alot on The Google.

Posted by: George W. Bush | April 4, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

The paying fans in attendance should be "The 527"... since they're partisan, and free to spend all they want.

Posted by: Wigi | April 4, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

419, to be fair, there is a *LOT* more advertising now than there was when a lot of people started complaining about this (back in dec/jan, when we would have expected some sort of STH blitz and maybe some build-up to the season). it seemed like about 2-3 weeks before the opener, the team ratcheted up the ad campaigns.

i think some of it is a perceived lack of promotions. 80% of what i've heard (or seen) in advertising for the nats was all about "taking metro to the game." the incessant ads with the guy trying to park and missing the game (that said, i drove right up to the park on opening day at 4pm and got $20 parking a whole block away). how about ads that promote the players? or a promotion? anyone advertising the discount games mid-week? i think we all get the point about "don't drive" now.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

How about the Curly Dubs?

Posted by: Anonymous in case you laugh | April 4, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

419+, we could go through the past posts here for several good suggestions, but right off the top of my own head, I'd say the devil here is in the High Level Abstractions.

There's the uninspired promo concepts (or lack thereof), the apparent lack of a coherent media strategy, the in-park lack of baseball-specific savvy in marketing the experience, and the general managing of fan expectations downward -- 2007 Motto: "Nationals: We Really Suck"; 2008 Motto: "Parking? At a NATS game!? Fugeddaboudit!"

Posted by: CEvans | April 4, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Wigi, I think OPCY has dibs on 527 fans, since that's their turnstile average.
*******

Posted by: Wigi | April 4, 2008 02:09 PM

Posted by: MIB | April 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Then again I think it would be great to play for a team named "the National Bohemians".

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

O's Exec,

Nats wins - 3
O's wins -1

Posted by: 307 | April 4, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

DING DING DING DING DING

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 02:14 PM

Posted by: We have a winner | April 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

My favorite nickname so far is The Constituency. All of the suggestions are on target.

Posted by: samantha7 | April 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

All interested in MASN HD and FiOS: There is a list of 27 HD channels, which includes MASN, that will be rolled out in the NoVa and MD areas in late August. Richmond/Va Beach area will get it around mid July. These are subject to change, but shouldn't move that materially.

I know this doesn't make anybody happy, but hopefully at least sets expectations appropriately.

Posted by: Nats fan in NJ | April 4, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Has there ever been anything said about S Hill going to the bullpen for a short time to rehabilitate. If you have a problem with his arm hurting, if might be better to save his arm from 6 innings at a time to maybe 1-2 innings. The notorious sinker that he has would be murderous if you needed a double play late in a game.
I have a medical background and in my opinion if Hill is diagnoses to have either a nerve problem or tendonitis, extra throwing is going to aggrivate the condition. Going to the bullpen might be going to his strength and putting him in a position to help the team until hopefully his medical condition gets better with time away from heavy pitching. I think we need to do anything we can to let this excellent pitcher (when he is healthy) stay in this organization. My guess is if he tries to remain a starter now he will eventually return to the major leagues as a set up man or a closer. His medical history almost dictates that may be the way he stays in baseball. By the way, he does have a cool demeanor on the mound which would be a good asset for a late inning reliever.

Posted by: Doug B | April 4, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

too bad national bohemian is an original BALTIMORE beer..

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

"The general managing of fan expectations downward -- 2007 Motto: "Nationals: We Really Suck"; 2008 Motto: "Parking? At a NATS game!? Fugeddaboudit!"

Don't mistake what is written about the team in the press as the Nationals "managing their fan expectations". Indeed, much of the marketing that has been done to date has been in order to counter the incorrect expectations being broadcast about the team in the media. For instance, the over-harping on "Take Metro" that you all are decrying now was a direct response to all the media naysaying about the supposed parking/traffic fiasco that was inevitable at the new stadium. Too bad that the press forced the Nats into marketing their season that way, but they did what they had to do. And judging from the lack of parking/traffic/Metro problems on Opening Day, the marketing campaign worked.

And really, I fail to see how running ads touting discounts and promotions months ahead of time is going to help attendance at those games - especially since until only a couple of weeks ago single-game tickets were not yet on sale. I'm sure ads featuring the discounts and promotions will start showing up as those games get closer.

Posted by: Section 419+1 | April 4, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

too bad national bohemian is an original BALTIMORE beer..

Posted by: | April 4, 2008 02:26 PM

True, but they used to sponsor the Senators way, way back. I still can't get the jingle out of my brain.

Posted by: Dale | April 4, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

"Ever heard of freedom of speech pal?"

Hey! He's not your pal, buddy!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | April 4, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

you mean the nats ads touting metro were purely a response to the media? you don't think there's any chance it was to avoid a fiasco early in the season where people were driving around the stadium looking for parking?

sorry, not buying that the nats primary reason for that campaign is to counter bad press on their parking situation. the parking situation is significantly different than it was at RFK, they had to do the campaign to avoid having a whole lot of unhappy fans who paid for tickets and couldn't get to the game.

as far as promotions, i'm not saying they should have advertised promotions for august games in february, i'm saying that's the type of thing that should be getting advertised.

we have a homestand starting in 3 days, have you heard/seen anything about who we're playing in advertising? i'm still hearing the parking spots, not anything about the marlins/braves series coming up next week/weekend.

have you heard zimmerman's name in an ad? NJ? milldege? kearns? only on MASN. but what about radio spots? how about some ads with fans telling the listeners how much they loved the stadium opening day? about how much better the views are, or how much better the food is. or about how great it is to be able to see the field from the concourses.

so far the ads have all been "don't expect to find parking, TAKE METRO!" how about a positive ad about actual baseball?

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Nats fans, when swilling a brewski and/or celebrating a victory, could indeed be referred to as Nationals Bohemians.

National Bohemian Park, anyone?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I hate myself for it but I do like:

The Curly Dubs

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | April 4, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Also, Ladson says Flores should have been covering third on the Rollins play, not Colume. What's more, Manny seems to concur:

Ladson: "Catcher Jesus Flores should have been covering third, but he, too, went after the ball that Zimmerman grabbed."

"It's a tough play because usually, if the catcher can't field the ball, he usually keeps going to third base, but both of the guys went for the ball," manager Manny Acta said. "It's just a great heads up play by Jimmy Rollins."

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

National Bohemian Park, anyone?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 02:47 PM

"Natty Bo's" would be the affectionate moniker, I would hope.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The Constituency closely followed by Natosphere. Although Bob L's rundown is pretty persuasive...

Posted by: NatsFly | April 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

maybe flores thought he could field the ball. i wasn't watching, so i don't know.

i did see the replay of the 4th ball on the walk-off-walk. colome was *way* off the plate. not even close.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

while i appreciate the concept of national bohemians and "natty bos," it's truly an old-school baltimore thing. natty bo was what you drank at old memorial stadium and it's a baltimore icon. i really don't think it's appropriate for the nationals.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

A good perspective on the Nats:

Posted by: Bob L. Head | April 4, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

ESPN is up with their first "MLB Power Rankings." O's Exec should definitely take a look.

Posted by: Capitol Hill | April 4, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

How about no gimmicks and just go watch a baseball game?

Posted by: Section 408 | April 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"Nationals Zoo"

[and then maybe we could replace Clint with "the FONZ")

Posted by: truth in advertising | April 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

"A good perspective on the Nats:
--------------------
Hal Bodley knows his stuff and has seen a lot of baseball. Very good article.

Posted by: FearlessFreep | April 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

the thing i like the most about the curly dubs is that it was submitted anonymously

Posted by: gretchen | April 4, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capitol Hill | April 4, 2008 02:57 PM
___________________________________________

What does ESPN know about baseball? All they know about baseball is if they show a game on tv it pretty much has to have either the Yankees or Red Sox featured.

That's all ESPN knows about baseball.

No worries though. When October rolls around and the Orioles are playing in the World Series and the Nat's have been playing golf for a good 2 months then you all will be eating crow. That and also eating those delicious Baltimore crabcakes when you all come up to OPACY to watch the O's in the postseason.

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I guess the O's don't have enought fans to maintain a "Journal" of their own....

Posted by: just sayin' | April 4, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: just sayin' | April 4, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

" ...and the Orioles are playing in the World Series ... "
--------------
This made me laugh.

I'm now certain the O's Exec is not employed. Who else's life is pathetic enough that they have nothing better to do than troll on an opposition message board? Oh wait, it is Baltimurh. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Hell Frozen Over | April 4, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

J-Max can be moved up to the ML roster without burning any options. I wonder why they don't do that. That kid can play. Plus he's a Terp.

Posted by: 6th and D | April 4, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

If that's the case, then why were you quoting my opinion on the Nats the other day?

.......................................

That's all ESPN knows about baseball.

Posted by: NR Tim Kurkjian | April 4, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

419 once against shows that he and I are not the same guy ;-).

I think people have previously explained why they believe the marketing is sub-standard, and others who have already responded to your post have also made good points. Here are some marketing ideas, and truly this is off the top of my head:

--The team should be offering ticket mini-plans: 6 games, or 8 games, or Sunday plans, or all of the above.

--Downtown DC right now should be awash in curly Ws and pictures of the new ballpark. Seriously, they just opened a new ballpark! Why not have Nats banners hanging from all the lightposts downtown? The Caps have done that before, it can be done.

--Fanfest: Not having a Fanfest this year was a blunder. Any excuses as to why it didn't happen are simply that, because the Nats themselves indicated at one point that they intended to have a Fanfest this year, and then they backtracked.

--Hotels: The team should be partnering with hotels all around the area and offering packages that include tickets. If you go to the Gaylord hotel web site (which is apparently the Nats "official hotel" per the radio ads), there is no package or promotion that has anything to do with the Nats. I did an internet search that showed a total of 2 hotels in the area with baseball packages.

--TV: In response to a question I asked a few weeks ago about MASN broadcasting so much Orioles content (such as Os Hot Stove and Orioles Insider), I was told that those shows are produced by the Orioles, and not by MASN. The Nats should be producing similar shows, either to run on MASN or other local channels. The fact that there was no 2008 season preview show whatsoever is pretty sad.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | April 4, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

...and Curly Dub would go with the Curly Shuffle as a celebratory tune. Soitenly!

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 01:40 PM
___________________________

That's what I was thinking when I suggested it -- "gallery" as "A large audience or group of spectators" (web dictionary).

I also like the Nationals Zoo, though. But maybe we don't want to be known as a bunch of animals.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | April 4, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

(from Bob L.'s mlb link)

He did not seriously say this.

"Bowden adds: 'We play 162 games. It's a marathon and you must take it one game at a time.'"

Posted by: NatsNut | April 4, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Love the suggestions, CIL.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

And now, for something completely different: Hawk attack A-Rod, 13, at Fenway - http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/04/04/teen_finds_fowl_territory_at_fenway/

The hawk is not a political reference.

Posted by: PTBNL | April 4, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't be happier with the current situation of our Washington Nationals. Most of my friends are "balmer" fans and nothing makes me happier than to see that organization loose for another decade and watch the Nationals rise to the national spotlight to succeed. I'm so pumped.

This organization is about one thing: CLASS!

PS. I'm getting t-shirts made right now with "The Constituency"

GO NATS

Posted by: Nats=class,class,class | April 4, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I saw that, too. Red-tails can nest in some interesting places.

Posted by: natsfan1a | April 4, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: just sayin' | April 4, 2008 03:24 PM
__________________________________________

Um....Roch Kubatko runs a blog very similar to this one plus the Sun has a Talk Forum where O's fans from far and wide come to discuss the O's.

So the O's have atleast 2 to the Nats 1 "journal"

Boo-Yah-Kasha!!!!!!!

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

It probably was not Colomes coverage. In MLB, the first rule for bunt coverages for most teams is The Pitcher Never Covers. I think it had to be Flores covering 3rd, or maybe Zimmerman if he judged that Flores had the bunt

Posted by: SwiftIt | April 4, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I love the term "The Senate" to describe the Nationals fan base. It ties 2 generations together.

Posted by: 6th and D | April 4, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This organization is about one thing: CLASS!

PS. I'm getting t-shirts made right now with "The Constituency"

GO NATS

Posted by: Nats=class,class,class | April 4, 2008 03:51 PM
_______________________________________

Thanks for the laugh pal. Can you send me whatever marijuana your smoking?

Nats = Class? So 'class' means having employee's who beat women, have sex with minors, use steroids, are arrested for marijuana possession, threaten to kill people, etc.?

Guess you and the rest of us, including Websters Dictionary, have a different definition of what 'class' means.

As for your comment claiming the O's will have another decade of futility and that the Nat's will rise to national dominance. All I can say again is, thanks for the laugh

hahahhahahahhahahaha

Nats = class? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Posted by: O's Exec | April 4, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

it's hard to decide which is more pitiful, trolls or people who respond to trolls.

Posted by: 231 | April 4, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

too bad national bohemian is an original BALTIMORE beer..

Posted by: | April 4, 2008 02:26 PM

Senate beer on the other hand was a Washington, DC original.

Posted by: 6th and D | April 4, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

For what it is worth, the Nats appear to be trying to hustle up new 20 game STHs at some of the sports pubs, sending salespeople there.

I completely agree with the idea of selling 10 game or weekend blocks. The cursed team at OP@CYs Stadium (pronounce it like the team plays) has a 13 game Sunday package that a group from my office subscribes to. Afternoon games mostly, so it is kid friendly. Give'en some credit.

Actually, if the Lerners and Angelos were more collusional than rivals, then they both could do well with a 20 gamer that has 10 for Nats Park and 10 for OP@CY Stadium. Weekends, plus the head to head games. It could bump up attendance for both teams. It's not like the Os sell out even for the AL Central teams, and some NL teams like Houston that aren't great draws might have some Os interest. Get people used to going to both ends of 295.

Posted by: PTBNL | April 4, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Great idea PTBNL! I'm not crazy about Angelos but baseball is baseball. To have a game every Sunday...what a concept!

Let's play (watch) two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | April 4, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone having post withdrawal? Where is Saint Barry???????

Posted by: joNAThan | April 4, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

New Post

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

New Post

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Like I said, these ideas are things I came up with quickly. The Nats have had several years now to market the team."

Nothing wrong with any of your ideas, CiL, but keep in mind it's only just about two years to the day now since the Lerners were announced as owners of the team. It's only since July 2006 that they've actually been in charge. In that time they've had to deal not only with marketing a team in a lame duck stadium but also moving into a new stadium and dealing with all the attendant changes that involves. And all that starting from ground zero, since the previous owners (MLB) did diddly squat, the bare minimum. Would you prefer that they had instead invested resources in secondary things like a fan fest, MASN shows, trying to solicit hotel partnerships, etc, at the expense of possibly dropping the ball on the major issues involved with the new park, such as setiing up the Nats Express?

I'd wager that many of those things you'd like to see will happen eventually, maybe even this season. They were offering "create your own" six-pack tickets two years ago, so there's no reason not to think they won't do that again this year once they've maxed out any potential for selling season tickets, which is still the focus. (Tomorrow's Open House event is really a season ticket sales opportunity. You knew that, right?)

A partnership with the O's, though, I would doubt. I think the current MASN partnership is more than enough. And boy, all those O's-produced shows on MASN are really pulling the fans into OPACY, aren't they? I can see why you think they're such a great marketing vehicle for a team!

Posted by: Section 419+1 | April 4, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse